AT&T continues to counter Verizon claims as Apple enters ad fray

Comments

• Reply 181 of 220
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

For those that think the Droid will address everything, it too is having problems with dropped calls.*** And on the Verizon network at that.

[?]

*** https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/71748

It?s a bizarro thread. It?s like a thread about iPhone but it?s not the iPhone. Apple never got a break despite being a new mobile vendor yet Motorola has been making phones for Verizon longer than the iPod has existed and they are having problems with the Droid. This might be Armageddon.
  • Reply 182 of 220
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

The tower can only handle so many calls. If you are on a highly saturated tower, you'll get dropped calls even though you have good signal. Also, if you are in between towers, the tower handoffs can sometimes result in dropped calls. Sometimes, your handset and the multiple towers can't decide which tower to lock on to, this will result in rather rapid battery drain and dropped calls.

My workplace is rather remarkable sometimes. I can go from GPRS (the "o") to EDGE to HSDPA with 1 "bar" of signal to 5 bars of signal. My workplace contracts with ATT for Blackberries and of course there are lot of iPhones and other ATT handsets (we have a 15% ATT discount). I have to believe that during some days, people just happen to use their phone at the same time, crushes the tower, and results in big fluctuations in signal quality I see sometimes.

You may have just hit on the response by Verizon to the Apple and AT&T commercials. It could show calls going through while someone else is using data while it could show AT&T users unable to complete calls while the people around him surf. The tagline could be something along the lines of people browsing the web will never stop you from getting your calls on Verizon. It would take the separate nature of voice and data and turn it into a strength rather than a weakness in the mind of the consumer.
  • Reply 183 of 220
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Look everyone's missing the real point. Verizon does not have better service because there network is inherently more robust- it's because they don't have any bandwidth load. The 4% of iPhone users on ATT use more than 40% of their network bandwidth, thus leading to the overload. If Verizon began carrying the iPhone tomorrow, they would have the same issue, it might even be worse, if they've invested in expanding coverage area at the expense of bandwidth within existing coverage area.

I don't know how ATT could get that info out in a 30 second commercial spot though...

The real issue is the crappiness of the US wireless market in general. Too insulated and not enough competition. This will only be solved when iPhone does come out for Verizon and there is real level competition.
  • Reply 184 of 220
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    The randomness:

Knowing Verizon's limitations, I doubt that Apple ever seriously considered Verizon over Cingular. Must've been an urban legend started by locked in Verizon customers.

The arrogance of folks thinking that 'average consumers' can't decipher Apple's point is laughable. People aren't stupid.

I always use voice + web. Yesterday, a bud wanted to know the mid day lotto numbers. I simply went to galottery.com and told him over the phone. As he signed off he said "I've gotta get an iPhone...I didn't know it could do that." I just said, "your phone can't?"

I though't Pre was the iPhone killer...now it's Droid?
  • Reply 185 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How do you actually do both simulltaneously on that small screen anyway? just curious. Speaker phone- Is that what we're talking here?

Um, I would presume using the mic/headphone or bluetooth handsfree. You didn't really think that one out, did you?
  • Reply 186 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

cause att is so much better?

For me it has been... Not only are the number of dropped calls less (seriously, no lie, I had more dropped calls w/ Verizon) but my bill is less as well thanks to roll-over mins. I know it's not the same for everyone but going around saying AT&T isn't good for anyone is rather trolly to be quite honest.
  • Reply 187 of 220
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

For me it has been... Not only are the number of dropped calls less (seriously, no lie, I had more dropped calls w/ Verizon) but my bill is less as well thanks to roll-over mins. I know it's not the same for everyone but going around saying AT&T isn't good for anyone is rather trolly to be quite honest.

they both suck. but to say att is leaps and bounds better is a flat out lie. have you not been reading the customer satisfaction reports that have been posted? hell one was in this thread. att was at the bottom of all of the tests.

thanks for putting words in my mouth saying i thought att was bad for everyone. go back to your little hole now.
  • Reply 188 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

they both suck. but to say att is leaps and bounds better is a flat out lie. have you not been reading the customer satisfaction reports that have been posted? hell one was in this thread. att was at the bottom of all of the tests.

thanks for putting words in my mouth saying i thought att was bad for everyone. go back to your little hole now.

AT&T hasn't sucked at all for me and it has been, arguably, leaps and bounds better for me for the combination of factors listed. #1 most important thing when talking about cell phones is location, location, location - it's even more important that topology and technology. In San Fran and NYC AT&T might suck but where I live Verizon sucks - why? Hell, I don't know, it's not hilly, it's really not populated at all but Verizon still sucks.

I didn't put any words in your mouth.
  • Reply 189 of 220
    The issue is not network load at all. The issue is that 95% of ATTs crappy 3g network runs at 1900 Mhz. Therefore you get ALMOST ZERO 3G signal when you are inside MANY buildings.
  • Reply 190 of 220
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

How do you actually do both simulltaneously on that small screen anyway? just curious. Speaker phone- Is that what we're talking here?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Um, I would presume using the mic/headphone or bluetooth handsfree. You didn't really think that one out, did you?

LOL! Though the speakerphone mode does work in a pinch.

Seriously, techdude, do you even use a smartphone?
  • Reply 191 of 220
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

LOL! Though the speakerphone mode does work in a pinch.

I?ve only used this once but I had to orchestrate 4 people being setup for an outing. The ability to conference in multiple people (I think up to 6 per device) while also using the internet made this quite simple compared to calling each one individually and then using the browser to ad their information that kept changing as other people altered their data. It was still a chore but much less severe than it could have been.

When Verizon can finally offer devices with simultaneous voice and data they will surely be marketing the crap out of it.

Quote:

Seriously, techdude, do you even use a smartphone?

He does claim to have an iPhone that he loves yet doesn?t seem to know the most rudimentary features of the device. I recall a month or so ago he was whining on these boards that you can?t see your call history times. It never occurred to him to click on the blue arrow next to each name. that same blue arrow that is throughout the settings menu to access additional info.
  • Reply 192 of 220
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Look everyone's missing the real point. Verizon does not have better service because there network is inherently more robust- it's because they don't have any bandwidth load. The 4% of iPhone users on ATT use more than 40% of their network bandwidth, thus leading to the overload. If Verizon began carrying the iPhone tomorrow, they would have the same issue, it might even be worse, if they've invested in expanding coverage area at the expense of bandwidth within existing coverage area.

Yes, it is absolutely correct to say that Verizon's network would have been hit if they have the iphone. But it would have not been worse, because: Verizon is a north eastern baby bell --- it is natural for them to have more cell towers, more fiber in the sewers linking to the cell towers and more spectrum space in their native territory --- New York City, Boston, Washington DC... That's where the geeks (and reporters) live (not in the south where Cingular is based).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

The randomness:

Knowing Verizon's limitations, I doubt that Apple ever seriously considered Verizon over Cingular. Must've been an urban legend started by locked in Verizon customers.

The arrogance of folks thinking that 'average consumers' can't decipher Apple's point is laughable. People aren't stupid.

I always use voice + web. Yesterday, a bud wanted to know the mid day lotto numbers. I simply went to galottery.com and told him over the phone. As he signed off he said "I've gotta get an iPhone...I didn't know it could do that." I just said, "your phone can't?"

I though't Pre was the iPhone killer...now it's Droid?

The "limitation" is not really a limitation --- it was a choice by Verizon not to implement certain things because most people have a flip phone and that makes voice and data at the same time difficult to use for the average consumer.

Verizon started their nationwide 3G network deployment in 2002 and only 7 years later people would start talking about this limitation --- it really illustrates the point that deep-sixing ev-dv was the correct decision.
  • Reply 193 of 220
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    the speakerphone on the iphone sucks bad...i mean really bad (its slightly alleviated by the 3G dock), my 2 year old pearl is louder and clearer than it and my Bold completely drowns the poor thing out. Would be best to use a bluetooth piece over trying to use speakerphone.
  • Reply 194 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DdubRes79 View Post

Apple has proven time and time again they are the leaders for quality, customer service and product innovation and these ads solidify those claims. Keep it up Apple!

Amen!
  • Reply 195 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I do feel for those users in areas where there is a high concentration of iPhone users and/or tall buildings and mountainous terrain. Where I am at, I don't have to sacrifice features or service.

Let's speak about Silicon Valley - a lot of iPhone's users, plain terrain, and lack of tall buildings. Do you think we have a good coverage? No! I'm not talking about 3G coverage, I'm talking about drop calls and sound quality
  • Reply 196 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

It has nothing to do with the iphone.

Verizon can do voice and data at the same time if they do VoIP-over-EV-DO rev A --- no need to even go and upgrade to rev B.

The fact is that the vast majority of Americans have flip phones and Verizon doesn't feel the need to implement this feature.

A, B.... man... People just want it to work, and they are not as savvy as some folks on forums like this one, which I like a lot, except for some personal attacks..., so I scroll

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Verizon is committed to LTE and will not spend the money to upgrade to Rev. B. If they do that, they mind as well not do LTE at all, or push it out another 3 years. The world is moving to LTE type technologies, including the chipsets. Verizon will become an island with CDMA if they include Rev B in their upgrade path, and that'll just mean more expensive equipment all around.

And handsets, building type/materials, geography (lots of iron in that bedrock?), how a person holds a phone, population density, handset density, cell tower density and handoff capability. It's basically a very long list of things that can interfere with your call quality. It's amazing it works in the first place.

Aren't their like a gazillion note taking applications? Me, I don't take notes.

We can only guess what VZ will or not do, same with Apple... ATT, with this VZ attacks has an incentive to work that much harder to improve...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Thank you for clearing that up. I have always wondered why the bars on the menu at times seemed to have no correlation to the call quality. Having said that, I don't have any problems in my area, nor do I when I travel to other metropolitan areas. For me, it just works.

Thanks from me too... Yep, the "devil is in the details"... Thanks to EVERYONE for providing those details, and links to support it. I always click on those links to educate myself.

I am nowhere near the tech industry, but I love my Mac, and love seeing the "details" and hear those discussed by bright minds, as I see here!

Troll, "plants", decoys -- I hope there are not too many here, same with politics, religions, personal attacks and other agendas! We already have an "app for that" - TV!

As to my Main Interest - moving my Palm Treo 700p Memos to iPhone...

"Aren't their like a gazillion note taking applications? Me, I don't take notes."

There are so many Topics/Threads that deal exactly with that on

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.j...1142&start=330

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.j...1142&start=420

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....318&tstart=330

Look for word "Memo"... That's what's holding me back... "Cloud" apps like Evernote, which seems to be the most often mentioned -- those scare me, particularly in terms of Privacy, and too virtual.. At least there is someone to speak to at Apple vs. those Don't Call Us, We Don't Do Phone Support Cloud apps...

I want my Memos portable... I am on Palm Treo 700P, Palm Desktop, Mac OS 10.4.11. I am trying to move to iPhone and it is hard! Wish Apple made it a lot easier than having to play Detective! Not much help at Apple Stores either!

I am reluctant to put my Memos inside another 3rd application and be trapped again in some Proprietary situation...

Whether it's this http://www.idata3.com/iDataMobile.html or other New vendors - that doesn't inspire me much, judging by their site... Qs:

How long have they been around?

How big are they? Or is it 1 or 2 guys trying to answer emails somewhere outside US?

How can I know if they don't go out of business!

I want to be able to move my Data, have it Free, so that I can pick the best application for it...

Sync Services seems to point in that direction...

I'll try not to bother this Forum with this Memos Topic, now that I realized that there are plenty folks dealing with that on the Apple Forum. But, if someone here know of a good thing, maybe they'll quickly sneak in a link... That way, things are more On Topic here... Again thanks to all here! Great Forum!!!! And the software that runs it (see at the bottom) Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4 - ROCKS!!!!
  • Reply 197 of 220
    Quote:

I do love it. It completes me.

Having said that, I could care less about this talking and looking up google map feature. I'd rather have better and consistent reception anyday over that. But that is an AT&T issue not iPhone itself.

May be some percent of drop calls and bad reception is iPhone issue. Smaller phone -> smaller RF part -> worse reception. Who knows?
  • Reply 198 of 220
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

A, B.... man... People just want it to work, and they are not as savvy as some folks on forums like this one, which I like a lot, except for some personal attacks..., so I scroll

And it works for most people --- whose only voice and data usage at the same time is with turn-by-turn nav apps. Millions of people have used VZ Navigator (which relies on data connection to give you the maps) successfully while talking on the phone and driving at the same time.
  • Reply 199 of 220
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Whether it's this http://www.idata3.com/iDataMobile.html or other New vendors - that doesn't inspire me much, judging by their site... Qs:

How big are they? Or is it 1 or 2 guys trying to answer emails somewhere outside US?

I want to be able to move my Data, have it Free, so that I can pick the best application for it...

Funny you should choose iData to ask about. It is a very long-lived application. Mike Wright and Robin Casady have been around since the late 1980s -- the program was called QuickDEX at first, then InfoGenie, and finally iData in the late 1990s. Mike was an employee who purchased his program from his employer when they went out of business. See here:

http://db.tidbits.com/article/7761
  • Reply 200 of 220
    In response to my previous Post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by macologist

I got this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenThousandThings View Post

Funny you should choose iData to ask about. It is a very long-lived application. Mike Wright and Robin Casady have been around since the late 1980s -- the program was called QuickDEX at first, then InfoGenie, and finally iData in the late 1990s. Mike was an employee who purchased his program from his employer when they went out of business. See here:

http://db.tidbits.com/article/7761

Ironically, I just wrote a Reply to MacNoteTaker author http://homepage.mac.com/wis/Personal...NoteTaker.html Here it is:

----------------------------

This is how I understand MacNotetaker

PRC gets installed on my Treo

MacNotetaker shows up as an Application on Treo, where I can Import All my Memos into it.

On next Sync, MacNotetaker will transfer those Imported Memos to my Mac as individual Text Files.

The Subject Line in the Original Memos will become the 1st line in each New Text File, RIGHT!?

Once on my Mac, I'll Select All Memos and Drop them into Phoneview which would be my "Finder" for iPhone:

<http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/instructions.html>;

If all of the above works, your MacNotetaker = Escape from Palm!

Phoneview = leaves the Door Open for me to take my iPhone Notes to other Memo App on iPhone to Sync with a its Desktop Companion App.

So, I'll Test MacNotetaker, then I'll Delete the Desktop Memos/Text Files and do it again for the last time when I finally own iPhone. Why? Cause, it's not like there is "Sync Services" between Palm Memos and MacNotetaker after Importing into MacNotetaker, right?

I'll be using Palm Desktop till I own iPhone, thus my Treo Memos will change. So, since no "Sync Services", I'd have to Overwrite anyway, to get the latest version of my Memos as Individual Text Files on my Mac!

Please reconfirm a few of my Qs above, so that my assumptions are correct!

Hope MacNotetaker works, so that I don't have to send 2600 emails to myself

----------------------------

Hope I don't get yelled at here, since this is getting too Off-Topic..

I'll probably Post it at Apple Discussions Board, after I test it all out... Wish Apple made it easier so that they could welcome the former Palm Customers sooner! Palm will obviously not help them!