Users report issues with Apple's new Core i7-based iMac

Comments

• Reply 121 of 206
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astaroth View Post

Count me in... I am currently writing from a "lower left corner damaged glass" iMac i7. Replacement should arrive by a couple of weeks. The origin must be a factory/material defect or it wouldn't explain why it is always the left bottom side. The possible transport mishandling might be accentuated by the fact that there is - on purpose - no Fragile sign and the box shape, now even larger, makes this a difficult to handle box and thus prone to last inches drops on the ground. and the packging given the edge glass of the new imac, is imho a bit too minimalistic. Some extra softer foam in the corners "might" have prevented this. For the record it's a very small dent, I'd say around 1 inch away from the corner and it runs form edge to edge and forms a sort of triangle.

God I'm sorry to hear that. Those sound like they've been assembled on the Land of the Misfit Toys. \
  • Reply 122 of 206
    The Apple forum associated with their website has many horror stories of wildly distorted color bands, flickering and black screen occurring with the new i7 imac specifically with the 27" display. Has anyone here who has already taken delivery had any such problems, OTHER than with the cracked screen noted in the OP? I have held off ordering since that forum seemed to think the problem was native to a single batch with 946 in the serial #.
  • Reply 123 of 206
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HeartSleeve View Post

The Apple forum associated with their website has many horror stories of wildly distorted color bands, flickering and black screen occurring with the new i7 imac specifically with the 27" display. Has anyone here who has already taken delivery had any such problems, OTHER than with the cracked screen noted in the OP? I have held off ordering since that forum seemed to think the problem was native to a single batch with 946 in the serial #.

For the price Apple charges for these babies you'd think they get it right.
  • Reply 124 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by get2thept View Post

27 inch i7. Booted up fine but fans were running at full speed - sounded like a vacuum cleaner running. No cracked screen though and except for the fan issue - seemed to work fine. Packaging seemed adequate as well. Screen is awesome. Return with Apple went ok at first - arranged for return shipping and the day after Fedex picked it up my account showed the replacement - but not shipping until Dec!

This is where it gets a little weird. I called Apple and they said my machine was actually already awaiting shipment (yay!) that it was given priority status and they would provide upgraded shipping - they even refunded my original shipping charges since I had paid for the 2-3 day shipping on the original. Very happy camper at this point. However...

It's been nearly a week and the status is still sitting at a ship date of Dec 2. I spoke with a rep again last night and he said it was NOT put on priority status and that it was in the queue like all the other orders. He did offer to "upgrade" my shipping to 2-3 days - odd since that should have been in the system already.

Bottom line - Apple doesn't appear to be doing anything special to get my replacement iMac to me and I'll just have to wait until Dec even though I originally placed the order on Oct 27.

Exact same situation here. I got my new 27" i7 iMac two weeks ago and after four days it developed the "screen flicker" problem. I quickly reported the issue to Apple who told me to send the defective computer back for replacement. I was also assured that I'd be placed at the front of the queue to receive my replacement iMac. Yet here it is seven days later, and there's still be no movement with my replacement order, and Apple still tells me it'll ship "by December 2nd," which is simply the date that follows the deadline for my defective computer to be received by Apple.

What's aggravating is that Apple's had my $2200 for more than two weeks yet I'm still without a computer. I'd have been much happier if I'd been permitted to keep my defective computer until its replacement arrived. Given the current short supply of the new iMacs, I feel that would've been more than appropriate for Apple to offer...yet when I asked Apple about that possibility, they gave me some nonsense that they couldn't process the replacement until they'd received word that the defective machine had been sent back.
  • Reply 125 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

.... Also, the number of DOA i7 iMacs seems higher than normal at this point in the product cycle.

Source? I haven't seen any numbers to support this claim. "seems higher than normal" does not tell me anything without the ratio of bad to good or what is normal? I'd need some facts before I'd make that statement as fact.

I'm not calling you out. Just trying to put this problem into perspective to see if it really is a problem for the whole community.
  • Reply 126 of 206
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

because MS based systems dont have access to i5s either right?

you're paying for the apple ecosystem, not really the hardware since its essentially universal now.

Never said that Apple had exclusive access to the i5.

As far as the hardware being universal have a look at this (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac-...27-Inch/1236/1) and tell me how much of the "universal' iMac hardware you can put in a tower. Of course you can just leave the hardware alone then wipe out the Snow Leopard OS and install windows if you hate Apple so much. Then in two years, give or take, you will have an expensive crap MicroSuck machine that needs to have the o.s. reloaded just to restore it's optimum usability. The potential for longevity is much greater with the iMac and the Snow Leopard o.s.

• Reply 127 of 206
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

It did seem a little odd to end this article with the now ubiquitous Mac Pricing Guide...

I'm not surprised, though - it seems lately AI uses every story about Macs as an excuse to try to sell Macs. And oh by the way, AI makes money on every Mac sold through these ads (they call them Pricing Guides, but they're ads).

Even the AI reviews of new Macs are really just ads now.
  • Reply 128 of 206
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i'm waiting for the youtube videos of chinese workers breaking new imacs and putting them in the box and laughing

No, I think it's matte screen supporters.
  • Reply 129 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

However, any and all professionals who have to spend hours at a time on a computer will develop headache's and severe eyestrain from the iMirror. [emphasis added]

This is a very strong statement. But it's also quite wrong since I'm a professional who spends more than 8 hours a day using my iMirror without any ill effect, due to the iMac's screen reflection. I'm sure there are more like me.

btw: When the screen is off, I often do use it as a mirror. Very convenient. However, when the screen is on, I hardly ever notice a reflection because the screen has beautiful contrast, color, and clarity.
  • Reply 130 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HeartSleeve View Post

Has anyone here who has already taken delivery had any such problems, OTHER than with the cracked screen noted in the OP?

Yes. As I mentioned earlier, I am very frustrated with the FireWire bus. When daisy chaining devices, I am getting distortion/interference in my audio interface (Focusrite Saffire 10 i/o) every time my external FW800 hard drive reads or writes data. My previous Mac has been a PowerMac tower with multiple hard drive bays and PCI slots. In turn, I'm not used to running gear over FireWire, but this does not at all seem acceptable. Maybe I'm wrong, but this can not possibly be an inherent FireWire protocol limitation. It seems to be chipset issues and/or Snow Leopard's FW management.
  • Reply 131 of 206
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

Never said that Apple had exclusive access to the i5.

As far as the hardware being universal have a look at this (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac-...27-Inch/1236/1) and tell me how much of the "universal' iMac hardware you can put in a tower. Of course you can just leave the hardware alone then wipe out the Snow Leopard OS and install windows if you hate Apple so much. Then in two years, give or take, you will have an expensive crap MicroSuck machine that needs to have the o.s. reloaded just to restore it's optimum usability. The potential for longevity is much greater with the iMac and the Snow Leopard o.s.

man you're retarded.

when did i say i hated apple? i didnt. you made it seem like MS has crap even tho the hardware is essentially the same as the stuff that went into the iMac. i dont hate apple, they make good products. i hate people who spew crap out their mouth (ie: you). i should ship you some toilet paper so you can clean up.

wow you posted a teardown. the basic hardware is the same as a PC. the CPU, the HD, the RAM (this maybe a custom size, i cant find it while glancing at the pictures). there is a custom motherboard and heatsink. the rest is crap i could get off newegg.com
  • Reply 132 of 206
    Quote:

You are so right. As I have said before buying online scares me because of the way UPS & FedEx handle shipment of all types.

How you do think they get from the ship to the Apple store?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

So Apple is without ANY blame if the packaging is subpar? The fact that UPS and FedEx are known to play rough with packages should give them even more reason to use sturdy packaging for such a heavy and large item.

Because everyone knows Apple isn't responsible for any thing that goes wrong.
  • Reply 133 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can compare your machine to the ones tested by MacWorld for specific apps at the link below, but you need to call Apple and get a replacement. The number is in your Mac?s Address Book. The backlighting and audio distortion are not normal. You have spent a lot of money for a machine and it?s not up to par. You bought a 2st gen ore i7 iMac, they will be very helpful. Just explain the issues you have above.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye on the display to see if it gets any better or worse over the course of the next few days. I'm honestly a lot more frustrated with the FireWire issues I'm having getting my external HDs and audio interface working together.
  • Reply 134 of 206
    Quote:

plasma is different than LCD.

plasma cannot shift more than 15 degrees of vertical or the plasma inside can leak out or least damage the stuff inside (if i remember that part correctly)

Get your memory checked. You are way wrong on this one. Here is a link to one of many places showing your error.

http://www.dtvcity.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-leak.html
  • Reply 135 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

Did you not do the 'target disc' account transfer bit? I'm hoping that's still working...

I did network migration. Alas and doom...

after mounting the Ergotron arm (it's a pain to get the Apple VESA adapter on the iMac) and being very careful. The dang thing didn't boot. Now I never rebooted after user migration, and I read here that another user had a kernel panic. Verbose showed kernel panic in com.apple.driver.BOSLink (that's not right, but from memory).

I'm zeroing and reformatting and starting from scratch. Going to migrate my stuff manually, which is what I normally do.
  • Reply 136 of 206
    Quote:

man you're retarded.

when did i say i hated apple? i didnt. you made it seem like MS has crap even tho the hardware is essentially the same as the stuff that went into the iMac. i dont hate apple, they make good products. i hate people who spew crap out their mouth (ie: you). i should ship you some toilet paper so you can clean up.

wow you posted a teardown. the basic hardware is the same as a PC. the CPU, the HD, the RAM (this maybe a custom size, i cant find it while glancing at the pictures). there is a custom motherboard and heatsink. the rest is crap i could get off newegg.com

Trying to prove your manhood by resorting to name calling? Grow up little one!
  • Reply 137 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

.... If these few iMacs all break in the lower-left corner, there is probably some extra stress at that point that is affecting the glass...

If it's the glass that is cracked, I can't see how it would be stressed, since it float there using magnets. Unless the magnets were misplaced or not properly positions. I guess of course, but it is something to consider.
  • Reply 138 of 206
    Quote:

Get your memory checked. You are way wrong on this one. Here is a link to one of many places showing your error.

http://www.dtvcity.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-leak.html

fair enough. its just what i remember hearing from a few people.
  • Reply 139 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bassetbob View Post

Mx Desk Mount LCD arm - Amazon, $109.99

Mounted it to Steamcase #5 and its ready to take either my 22" monitor or the iMac. I think I'll go iMac first, then get another one for the monitor. I'll be at the upper limit (30lbs) for the arm with the iMac. I'll report back if it has issues.

Also: Have not experienced any fan issues. Just played "Too many dicks on the dance floor" and it was all smiles

It holds up the iMac, just barely. Nice arm.

Sadly I'm in post arm mount won't boot but I think it's b.c. of user migration hell right now.
  • Reply 140 of 206
    Quote:

Trying to prove your manhood by resorting to name calling? Grow up little one!

changing the subject cause you got caught in being wrong? least i'll admit when im wrong.

for the next time you spew a bunch of crap out of your mouth.