Users report issues with Apple's new Core i7-based iMac

Comments

• Reply 81 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DdubRes79 View Post

I'd put more blame on UPS/FEDEX for their lousy handling of shipments before Apple. Let's face it Apple designs the fastest and most reliable products on the planet so I wouldn't put the blame on them.

You are so right. As I have said before buying online scares me because of the way UPS & FedEx handle shipment of all types.
  • Reply 82 of 206
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Let's face it Apple designs the fastest and most reliable products on the planet so I wouldn't put the blame on them.

Panasonic products are far more reliable in my experience.
  • Reply 83 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

One of our local Best Buy's has one of those cracked iMacs on display. I wonder what moronic manager decided that it's best to show a damaged iMac instead of a nice, clean one.

Where, what city? I want to go see it if it is close enough. Was the "crack" similar to the photo in the article?
  • Reply 84 of 206
    Seems like it's always good advice to NOT be one of the first purchasers of any new Apple product. The first factory release of model after model over the last few years always has lots of glitches reported, whether it's hardware or software related. Maybe being an "early adopter" on a $2000 piece of hardware isn't such a good idea...?
  • Reply 85 of 206
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I'd put more blame on UPS/FEDEX for their lousy handling of shipments before Apple. Let's face it Apple designs the fastest and most reliable products on the planet so I wouldn't put the blame on them.

They certainly could be at fault but the packaging is suppose to deal with a certain level of shock and pressure. What make me think they are not at fault is that the issue seems to be happening at the same place on the glass. Also, the number of DOA i7 iMacs seems higher than normal at this point in the product cycle.
  • Reply 86 of 206
    Quote:

Apple designs the fastest and most reliable products on the planet

On my 3rd motherboard, one of which was a failure due to the nvidia GPU failures, one faulty replacement battery, unresponsive trackpad that was replaced and the entire LCD replaced as well speaks otherwise. The only original parts of my MacBook Pro 3,1 are the bottom case and the optical drive, which isn't anything to write home about in the first place.

I did swap out my 160 gig HDD for a WD Black Scorpio 320 gig drive. Where is the 160 gig drive? In my PS3......
  • Reply 87 of 206
    As far as the glass vs matte screens, that's another one of those issues that so quickly devolves into a religious war with proponents on both sides refusing to just accept that tastes and needs vary. Someone really can have a different point of view than you on this matter of pure personal preference without being stupid, uninformed, or just plain wrong. If someone prefers the model you don't, get over it, life goes on. How does it impact you?

That said, I've always preferred a matte screen on my laptops, and was planning on getting a matte screen on my new MBP, until I compared them side-by-side. The glass screen is much more visually appealing. The glare doesn't bother me. Your mileage may vary.
  • Reply 88 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seely View Post

What model Ergotron are you using?

Thanks

Mx Desk Mount LCD arm - Amazon, $109.99

Mounted it to Steamcase #5 and its ready to take either my 22" monitor or the iMac. I think I'll go iMac first, then get another one for the monitor. I'll be at the upper limit (30lbs) for the arm with the iMac. I'll report back if it has issues.

Also: Have not experienced any fan issues. Just played "Too many dicks on the dance floor" and it was all smiles
  • Reply 89 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

Where, what city? I want to go see it if it is close enough. Was the "crack" similar to the photo in the article?

Here in Houston, Westheimer and Highway 6. The one there looks like someone hit it with something. Kinda like a baseball hit a windshield. It's pretty severe. Maybe it's unrelated and some little punk kid damaged it. I should have taken a pic.
  • Reply 90 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

As far as the glass vs matte screens, that's another one of those issues that so quickly devolves into a religious war with proponents on both sides refusing to just accept that tastes and needs vary. Someone really can have a different point of view than you on this matter of pure personal preference without being stupid, uninformed, or just plain wrong. If someone prefers the model you don't, get over it, life goes on. How does it impact you?

That said, I've always preferred a matte screen on my laptops, and was planning on getting a matte screen on my new MBP, until I compared them side-by-side. The glass screen is much more visually appealing. The glare doesn't bother me. Your mileage may vary.

Very well said. However, your statement is one of the best reasons I've seen as to why there should be a choice between the two. That choice might even have to include a new display that is optimized to work with a matte finish screen.
  • Reply 91 of 206
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

So Apple is without ANY blame if the packaging is subpar? The fact that UPS and FedEx are known to play rough with packages should give them even more reason to use sturdy packaging for such a heavy and large item.
  • Reply 92 of 206
    Quote:

Here in Houston, Westheimer and Highway 6. The one there looks like someone hit it with something. Kinda like a baseball hit a windshield. It's pretty severe. Maybe it's unrelated and some little punk kid damaged it. I should have taken a pic.

just a little to far for me. I'm closer to the store at Spring-Cypress and HWY 290. And yes, it most definitely sounds like in-store damage.
  • Reply 93 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

So Apple is without ANY blame if the packaging is subpar? The fact that UPS and FedEx are known to play rough with packages should give them even more reason to use sturdy packaging for such a heavy and large item.

YES!!! Do I hear an Amen?
  • Reply 94 of 206
    Quote:

Very well said. However, your statement is one of the best reasons I've seen as to why there should be a choice between the two. That choice might even have to include a new display that is optimized to work with a matte finish screen.

I agree. MacBook Pros originally didn't have a matte option, after much complaining, Apple gave in and offered it. Hopefully they'll see the light on the iMacs as well.
  • Reply 95 of 206
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

One of our local Best Buy's has one of those cracked iMacs on display. I wonder what moronic manager decided that it's best to show a damaged iMac instead of a nice, clean one.

Well have you ever looked at their MacBookPros? They're scratched and dented all over. An Apple rep should be checking these things out periodically.
  • Reply 96 of 206
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

YES!!! Do I hear an Amen?

NO- It's Apple packaging designers or environmental policy whichever is responsible for such flimsy packaging.

Something that glassy should be encased in styrofoam or asbestos- whatever it takes .
  • Reply 97 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

NO- It's Apple packaging designers or environmental policy whichever is responsible for such flimsy packaging.

Something that glassy should be encased in styrofoam or asbestos- whatever it takes .

I can see how my wording caused you to misunderstand what I meant. The "Yes!!" indicated that I agree completely that it is the primary fault of Apple packaging design. But you do have to admit that negligent shipping practices do contribute somewhat. Even the best packaging can't alleviate damage due to "combat zone" style handling. Otherwise you would have to pay out the ass for shipping. But enough of that. I fear straying too much from this thread topic.\
  • Reply 98 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It does seem like the factory is as fault, but a more charitable interpretation might be that they are rushing.

Perhaps they made a commitment to Apple to get the order backlog down, and are pushing their workers a bit too hard?

I love how you don't acknowledge even the hint of a possibility that Apple's packaging was designed poorly.
  • Reply 99 of 206
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

If screens are cracked, maybe other people that have iMacs should be concerned. That glass to the edge of the computer could be susceptible.

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw the new iMac. Taking the glass to the edge didn't sound like a good idea to me.
  • Reply 100 of 206
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Ready to order - interested in experiences...

I received my i7 more than two weeks ago via Shanghai, China. Packaging was fine and the computer fired up right away. There were no screen craps or other damage to the computer.

My first impressions of the computer:

1) Wow, this screen is big, crisp, and bright. However, during start up when the screen is one color, it is apparent the screen suffers from noticeable non-uniformity with respect to back-lighting. Instead of seeing a uniform, bright white or light blue screen, I see a marbled, cloudy sort of pattern with varying tonal changes due to less or more hot spots or cold spots, for lack of better words. Is this normal? I imagined LED back-lighting to be much more uniform.

2) Daily tasks (i.e., opening up many images via Preview, opening/closing apps, etc.) are not as fast as I expected. I?ve been using a Dual 500 MHz G4 PowerMac tower from 2000. Yes, 9+ years of straight t use (turned on about 80-90% of the time) without issue. Don?t get me wrong, it is MUCH faster than my PowerMac, but I guess I was expecting more. I have yet to stress the computer with H.264 encoding, for example, so I can?t comment on top performance.

3) FireWire, ohhh FireWire, why don?t you get along with iMac? A single FW800. That?s fine. After all, you can daisy chain and through the use of beta clouds, both FW400 and FW800 can operate at their maximum speeds on the SAME bus (for none believers, I can provide technical citations). So, here is my current FireWire setup:

i7 iMac (FW800 port) --> OWC Mercury Pro Quad-Interface Dual HD Case with 2X 1TB drives (FW800) --> Focusrite Saffire 10 audio interface (FW400)

As many studio audiophiles have said, you should separate your audio recordings and projects from your startup disk. I?ve done so. However, call me naïve, but I did not imagine that EVERYTIME my external drive read or wrote data, my audio interface would go into a state of distortion (like raising the gain on a track as high as it can go). When the activity of the disk drops below a certain level, the audio interface usually switches back to clean pristine audio. I am experiencing this within a studio environment (Logic Pro 9) and with simple CoreAudio iTunes playback via my audio interface. How is this possible? I mean, how can Apple assume customers are okay with such a blatant limitation? If anyone can provide me with a solution or a convenient work around (i.e., not telling me to turn off my hard drive and connect my I/O directly into the iMac every time I start up Logic), I will provide you with a craft beer. :-)