Apple tablet rumored to be 'shockingly' inexpensive

Comments

• Reply 81 of 107
    teckstud, might be time to re-brand yourself. Techtool? iTool?
  • Reply 82 of 107
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    the  ipod touch is a small tablet already

duh

so the coming 9"x6" pr 9"x5.5" lab coat pocket sized tablet will he a large  ipod touch

duh

and the  ipod touch is already a book reader

duh

the  tablet will be amazing in its power >>

with 3d video gaming /hulu strength live video streaming

the book reading part is a trick << for all of us who own every apple product already and need a great excuse to buy this one / errrr honey i got that new kindle from apple today !!

this will end UP as a gaming video machine and or for field professtional's like doctors who need xrays or gas workers showing live video of out of the way ground problems like downed wires or pot holes or train wrecks

home base can or will respond in minutes instead of weeks

go 
  • Reply 83 of 107
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O and A View Post

I dont' get the point you are trying to make here. You mean your macbook that cost 1100 bucks is better than a 300 dollar netbook? Thanks for the insight.

I stronlgyl believe this tablet will cost 899 or 999. Part of why snow leopard was just a small update is because they've been working hard on the OS for this device.

If this camera will let me unload photos from my camera onto it than i'm all over it.

I hope its more functional than the iphone. Not knocking the iphone as I think its perfect. But a larger more expensive device should have more flexibility.

it will be priced as follows

ipod touch

2x

550 to 700

bucks

• Reply 84 of 107
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCno10 View Post

In other words: nobody knows anything about anything.

very true.

the strongest rumors are

it will be, price and hardware wise, in between the iphone and the mac book

it will have an OS based off of the phone, not the computers (since the phone already has the touch gestures and 3g support)

it will have 3g data only capabilities (hopefully optional and unlocked)

it will be a combination device likely functioning as a netbook, ipod with (apple's version of) HD video, e-reader and app device

but even these are just rumors. the fancy screens etc seem more unlikely. I would hope that it has a front facing camera so we can ichat on the road.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If they make the card removable, like the first AirPort Cards, they may be able to have a GSM/3GSM card and a CDMA/CDMA2000 card for different networks.

or perhaps those dual cdma/gsm card rumors were talking about the wrong device
  • Reply 85 of 107
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

ain't a fan of these fake "inexpensive" items. everyone knows your $199 iphone 3gs aint cheap in the long run.

Agreed.

That's why I don't have an iPhone, despite making seven apps for them. It's not the $199 iPhone, it's the nearly $3,000 over a three year contract here in Canada I can't stomach. I'd rather buy a couple of 13" MacBook Pros for that price and still have them running six, seven, eight years from now, sigh.

Of course, as an Apple user since the 1970s and my Apple IIe, I will naturally go coo over my sister's new iPhone that she bought today over lunch tomorrow.

That said, I suspect something like two tablets, $799 for the cheap one with plan, maybe $999 without.
  • Reply 86 of 107
    I'm still sticking to my guns on the prediction that this will be multicore...either in the PowerVR chipset ( this thing will absolutely be iphone compatible, even if it runs full blown OSX ) or the ARM CPU or both.

If there is not the ability to run iPhone/Touch apps on this device ( in a window, how nice ) there will be riots. ( well, more realistically, I think it will just simply fail )

Keeping fingers crossed.
  • Reply 87 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And that depends on whose defintion of "'shockingly' inexpensive" is being used?

Hopefully not Apple's.

The Cupertino California Company thinks the white MacBook is inexpensive.

They think a $5 discount off a $70 mouse is a great Black Friday deal.

yeah it's sad because i actually bought a MM that day.

because there won't even be $5 off any other day of the year...
  • Reply 88 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

The irony is delicious here. Removing the word "Computer" isn't rebranding. Its like Coca-Cola adding the word Classic after the failed Pepsi-copy debacle of 1985

no its not
  • Reply 89 of 107
    About that "rebranding" idea: not a good idea. Especially if Apple comes out with something like the .Mac -> MobileMe eyesore.

I'm a huge Mac fan and have helped switch countless people over the last few years... but I always have to blush when explaining the egoistic name (rebranding) of a pretty good and seriously useful service. Also, the logo is far too childish, Toyland-style... much more suitable for MS. Certainly not elegantly cool.

That's what happens when SJ delegates I guess.
  • Reply 90 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Alex Albrecht and Kevin Rose are a couple of douche bags. They don't know anything. These idiots said the iphone would have two batteries, they have inaccurately predicted dozens of other things. And they let it out all slyly to their "fans." It's pathetic.

There... now shut-up Alex and Kevin. go hang out with Cliff Blezinski...

Spot on. What a bunch of losers. They are not even drinking their sponsored beer. I used to be a teetotaller myself, but If you gonna have a beer in front of you, you might as well drink the damn thing.

Move along people, just a couple of morons jumping on the apple bandwagon for hits.
  • Reply 91 of 107
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

My Prediction: $650 for the basic and $799 for the high end (if the tablet is a mac nano and not kindle pro that is). It will have a PA Semi chip and some nvidea 9400M or some equivalent that would work with PA semi's custom chip. It will have full featured OSX on something like a 10.1 inch screen.

The PA Semi chip will integrate the graphics and I/O functions as well as the CPUs.

It will most likely utilise Imagination SGX543 graphics - a definite upgrade over the iPhone's SGX535 (or whatever it is) as it supports OpenCL and is a lot more powerful. This is required because the iTablet-thing is going to have a resolution of up to 1366x768, which is a lot more than the 480x320 of the iPhone.

There will probably be dual ARM Cortex A9s inside it as well.

It might not be optimised for power consumption, 1GHz+ is a probability. That doesn't mean it will use a lot of power - it will still be a fraction of what Intel can offer.

This is all speculation still. Let's wait a couple of months - surely something will be leaked eventually. $499 is definitely do-able, in my opinion. $399 would be shockingly inexpensive.

The OS would probably be Cocoa Touch on a more featured Mac OS subsystem than the iPhone's Mac OS subsystem. It might run iPhone apps in a window, but Apple might make it easy to transition your apps to the big screen (okay for games, browsers, etc, sucks for apps that are highly optimised for the small screen - maybe they'll run like widgets on the iTablet-thing's desktop.
  • Reply 92 of 107
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Whatever specs, that thing simply can't be inexpensive.
  • Reply 93 of 107
    llamallama Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

If you have both iPhone and the tablet, discounted service plan for both devices combined will be $40/month.

While that would be sweet I doubt AT&T would do that unless their exclusivity was coming to an end. I pay $90/month just for the data plans on the 3 iPhones on my family account, unlimited family messaging kicks in another $30, so I am paying $120/month even before my voice plan. After taxes and such I pay almost as much for my cell phones as my electric bill...
  • Reply 94 of 107
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You fail all the time and never admit it. Who refers to their videos bought on iTunes as "tunes". Or books, or podcasts or etc. Only a fool would do that.

Right. They'd call them "movies" or "podcasts" or whatever if asked. And they'd say "iTunes" if asked where the purchase was made. See, the naming - branding rather - works as long as it's recognizable and people know what's on offer. And iTunes is so very recognizable.

Taco Bell doesn't sell bells. Should they change their name?
  • Reply 95 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

When it comes to OS I think the most important thing to look at is what kind of binaries will it run - iPhone or Mac? Honestly I think it will take a lot more work to scale up the OS and apps from the iphone to a tablet then it will be to scale down OS X and mac apps.

Actually I think it's the other way around.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

If you think about it Snow Leopard was probably the first step in slimming down OS X to run on a tablet. Better power management, smaller footprint etc.

It still requires specs that are too high for any reasonably priced tablet. And that's before adding the apps. The biggest obstacle, which is changing application UIs from mouse-driven to touchscreen. With iPhone OS, that's not much of a problem. With Mac OS X, it is.
  • Reply 96 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

the  ipod touch is a small tablet already

duh

so the coming 9"x6" pr 9"x5.5" lab coat pocket sized tablet will he a large  ipod touch

duh

and the  ipod touch is already a book reader

duh

the  tablet will be amazing in its power >>

with 3d video gaming /hulu strength live video streaming

the book reading part is a trick << for all of us who own every apple product already and need a great excuse to buy this one / errrr honey i got that new kindle from apple today !!

this will end UP as a gaming video machine and or for field professtional's like doctors who need xrays or gas workers showing live video of out of the way ground problems like downed wires or pot holes or train wrecks

home base can or will respond in minutes instead of weeks

go 

The practical applications for a device like this are almost limitless. If the price point really is very low it would even be a great deal for replacing your $500 super universal remote! And despite it's mobile design it could even be utilized as on a mobile cart unit at a hospital where it would be mounted on a stand like a desktop & run all the diagnostic software they need for eval. One could go on & on about the possibilities!

Depending on the peripherals I might even look at such a device to replace my laptop & spend the money I saved on an iMac!

Take into account as well the fact that it probably wouldn't be hard at all to port iPhone/iPod games & apps to it. Man, can't wait to see this think, hope it doesn't disappoint.
  • Reply 97 of 107
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacmatician View Post

Actually I think it's the other way around.

It still requires specs that are too high for any reasonably priced tablet. And that's before adding the apps. The biggest obstacle, which is changing application UIs from mouse-driven to touchscreen. With iPhone OS, that's not much of a problem. With Mac OS X, it is.

I agree. Making things simple is a complex business.
  • Reply 98 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

I agree. Making things simple is a complex business.

The hardest of all. Especially in the computer industry where the ones involved are excellent in the details but fall miserably short of the big picture.
  • Reply 99 of 107
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muncie View Post

Solipsism = Demosthenes

TeckStud = Locke

The two are in cahoots! Don't be persuaded by their wicked plan.

More like I'm Bart Simpson to his

Stewie Griffith!
  • Reply 100 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

The hardest of all. Especially in the computer industry where the ones involved are excellent in the details but fall miserably short of the big picture.

You must be thinking of Microsoft, the perfect example of what happens when you let the geeks call the shots. Apple's success is predicated on putting big picture people in charge of the big picture.