Apple's iMac, MacBook Pro top U.S. October PC sales

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple had the top-selling desktop and notebook for the month of October, as its new iMac and the 13-inch MacBook Pro outsold all competitors in the U.S.

According to new data from the NPD Group, as told to CNet, Apple took advantage of a down month for PCs, as most hardware manufacturers were looking to clear their existing inventory before the launch of Windows 7 late in the month.

The new 21.5-inch iMac was the best-selling desktop machine for October, while the 27-inch model reportedly came in third.

In addition, the entry-level $1,199 MacBook Pro was the top-selling notebook. In fact, Apple took four of the top 10 positions in U.S. for notebook sales, securing 8th, 9th and 10th place.

Full details on the month's sales, such as actual numbers, were not provided. But last month, AppleInsider had a glimpse at Apple's strong October, and what it could mean for the rest of the quarter as 2009 comes to a close.

Last month, it was revealed that Mac sales were up 7 percent year-over-year for the month of October. That month is traditionally Apple's toughest segment of the fourth quarter of the calendar year.

Mac sales were estimated to be up a whopping 45 percent year-over-year in October, bolstered by the introduction of Apple's newly redesigned iMac. The strong month has led to predictions of 2.9 million Macs sold for the quarter, a 14 percent increase from 2008.

Last quarter, Apple had its best three-month frame ever, recording sales of 3 million Macs. That helped to boost profits 46 percent to $1.67 billion for the September frame.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    GO APPLE! Job well done.

Now if you had matte too - you would have sold even more.

edit : (I thought this was for November- that is the month that should tell much more).
  • Reply 2 of 58
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Nice work, Apple. But hardly surprising.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Nice work, Apple. But hardly surprising.

Oh you're right - that was for Oct not Nov.

Windows 7 had not been released for a week.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    Congratulations Apple

It brings into clear focus why Mr. Balmer & Mr Gates are being given less than an easy ride at shareholders meetings. If some of the current news tips are to be factual then we may be seeing only some of the Ice burg .
  • Reply 5 of 58
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh you're right - that was for Oct not Nov.

Windows 7 had not been released for a week.

Except that MS has completely lost control of the Premium end of the market. MS can sell substatially more PCs to an ever-expanding bottom market while Apple continues to dominate the $1000+ segment. And the Premium end continues to expand.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Not a big surprise. Apple notebooks are taking the top 3 out of the first 4 bestseller spots in Amazon and the top 3 in the desktop bestseller. This is just an indication and the actual figures will be more interesting.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    I am SO happy with my iMac i7. Wheeeeee! Ordered Nov 16.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    yodieyodie Posts: 31member
    To be fair, there are very few Apple models and very many generic ones. But still, that's great news for Apple (even though, as others have said, Amazon stats have been saying this for months).
  • Reply 9 of 58
    The best products deserve to be the chart-toppers.

Fuck netbooks.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    Quote:

Except that MS has completely lost control of the Premium end of the market. MS can sell substatially more PCs to an ever-expanding bottom market while Apple continues to dominate the $1000+ segment. And the Premium end continues to expand.

"completely lost"? That's a bit extreme- we haven't really seen anything as it relates to Win 7 yet.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    Apple is DOOMED! (Who owns the trademark?)
  • Reply 12 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple is DOOMED! (Who owns the trademark?)

YAWN- more like Microsoft is doomed. don't you own that trademark?
  • Reply 13 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cascadians View Post

I am SO happy with my iMac i7. Wheeeeee! Ordered Nov 16.

Still waiting for it???
  • Reply 14 of 58
    Quote:

And yet another 10% hit on stock this week. Go figure. Weren't we suppose to be getting closer to 250.00?
  • Reply 15 of 58
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

And yet another 10% hit on stock this week. Go figure. Weren't we suppose to be getting closer to 250.00?

last Friday closing price was about $200.. $7 out of $200 is 10%?! excellent math skills if I might say. Beside, how much the stock moves within a week or so is irrelevant since the long term trend is up. As long as Apple keep breaking their sales records the stock will take care of itself in the long run.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    Quote:

Agreed, I'm getting the feeling the PC manufacturers are being 'hampered' by having to include MS's idea of an OS.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

last Friday closing price was about $200.. $7 out of $200 is 10%?! excellent math skills if I might say. Beside, how much the stock moved within a week or irrelevant since the trend is up in the long run. As long as Apple keep breaking their sale records the stock will take care of itself in the long run.

Smack!
  • Reply 18 of 58
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

last Friday closing price was about $200.. $7 out of $200 is 10%?! excellent math skills if I might say. Beside, how much the stock moves within a week or so is irrelevant since the long term trend is up. As long as Apple keep breaking their sales records the stock will take care of itself in the long run.

Well, the recent moves in AAPL are pretty odd relative to the market. For the month, AAPL is up .63% after announcing the best quarter ever, and the dow is up 6%! The trading action in AAPL is beyond me; bears really trying to push it down with large volume trades as best I can tell...
  • Reply 19 of 58
    Apple imagine how your sales would have sky rocketed if with minimum effort you could include a matte / anti glare option, that about 50% or more people seem to be so keen on by most accounts.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    I'd be totally impressed if this means in terms of dollars. More impressed if it's units. But couldn't tell from the story which it is for sure. Anyone?