Foxconn reportedly tapped to manufacture next-gen iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Foxconn, Apple's Taiwanese iPhone manufacturer, has reportedly received an order to build the next-generation handset, likely to arrive in mid-2010.

Eldar Murtazin, editor in chief of Mobile Review, broke the news on his Twitter account Thursday in a brief, singular post: "Foxconn received order for next generation iphone." As noted by Engadget, Murtazin is the "ultimate insider" for news in the mobile phone world.

The timing makes sense, as Apple's first three iPhone product debuts hit a June launch. For Apple to ramp up the production of millions of handsets in time for a global debut would take a significant amount of time.

Despite there being some time yet until the next-generation iPhone debuts, there are plenty of rumors surrounding the anticipated device. In November, the first signs of a model "iPhone 3,1" was tracked by a developer in its software usage logs, suggesting Apple was testing a new handset.

Apple has indicated it intends to overhaul its iPhone maps application with in-house developers. The company's purchase of worldwide mapping company Placebase over the summer would likely play a part in any new features.

Reports have also said Apple is testing RFID swipe support in next-generation iPhone prototypes. Such technology would allow the phone to sense embedded chips without making direct contact. The feature could allow swipe payments with the phone at checkout at a store, or obtaining information from kiosks.

Apple is also expected to build its own proprietary iPhone chips based off of ARM's A9 reference designs, thanks to the $278 million purchase of chip designer PA Semi in 2008. The new iPhone could have multi-core ARM chips powering it.

And there's also the question of a Verizon-capable CDMA iPhone. Conflicting reports have differed on the possibility of a dual-mode CDMA and GSM world phone debuting in 2010, though Verizon and chipset maker Qualcomm are said to have been in talks. And Wall Street analyst are also divided on the subject, with just as many arguing for a possible deal as those against.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    " thanks to the $278 purchase of chip designer PA Semi in 2008"
  • Reply 2 of 79
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    damn no wonder i lost my bid....i only offered $274.95.

Maybe next time.
  • Reply 3 of 79
    RFID support should be awesome
  • Reply 4 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wesley84 View Post

RFID support should be awesome

I'm not nearly as tech-oriented as a lot of you guys here, so I simply don't understand this. I mean, I know what RFID is, but can someone explain how this would be useful for most users out there?
  • Reply 5 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mamoore View Post

I'm not nearly as tech-oriented as a lot of you guys here, so I simply don't understand this. I mean, I know what RFID is, but can someone explain how this would be useful for most users out there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-f...identification

Radio-frequency identification (RFID) is the use of an object (typically referred to as an RFID tag) applied to or incorporated into a product, animal, or person for the purpose of identification and tracking using radio waves. Some tags can be read from several meters away and beyond the line of sight of the reader.
  • Reply 6 of 79
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    RFID is evil

If next iPhone has RFID I'm not buying unless there is a software option to disable it and can be proven to do so.
  • Reply 7 of 79
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Apple is also expected to build its own proprietary iPhone chips based off of ARM's A9 reference designs, thanks to the $278 million purchase of chip designer PA Semi in 2008. ...

Personally, I'm a bit worried that we have rumours of manufacturing and testing without any more rumours of PA Semi chips.

It's starting to seem like the next iPhone will be just another 3Gs, or 3Gs plus or something rather than the revolutionary redesign many have hoped for. As someone who's been holding on the the crappy 3G phone instead of upgrading to 3Gs, I was really hoping for something great with the next one instead of just another slight improvement over previous models. I think the public in general really needs to be wowed again.
  • Reply 8 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

RFID is evil

If next iPhone has RFID I'm not buying unless there is a software option to disable it and can be proven to do so.

care to share why? or are you too paranoid to disclose your reasons?
  • Reply 9 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

RFID is evil

I hate to tell you this, but "they" can already track you via your mobile phone already

• Reply 10 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Personally, I'm a bit worried that we have rumours of manufacturing and testing without any more rumours of PA Semi chips.

It's starting to seem....., I was really hoping for something great with the next one instead of just another slight improvement over previous models. I think the public in general really needs to be wowed again.

Spoken like a true MS troll. I am sure that the next get iPhone will have great new features, but the WOW is still there. I just upgraded to a 3Gs from a 3G. Nice improvements but its the software that makes it WOW.

Just a thought.

en
  • Reply 11 of 79
    Quote:

It's starting to seem like the next iPhone will be just another 3Gs, or 3Gs plus or something rather than the revolutionary redesign many have hoped for. As someone who's been holding on the the crappy 3G phone instead of upgrading to 3Gs, I was really hoping for something great with the next one instead of just another slight improvement over previous models. I think the public in general really needs to be wowed again.

I understand...I held onto my original iPhone right through until the 3Gs came out. And it was tough to do. Now I have my 3Gs and just love it.

When the new one comes out I will give my daughter my 3Gs and get the new one! Can't wait. Giving my 'still good' but not the best tech stuff to my daughter, iPods, iPhones, laptops and iMacs is the only way I can justify getting the latest and greatest!

My Dad did the same with me with his HiFi equipment. Anyone remember the first LED watch from Pulsar? I had one at 16 when my Dad 'had to have' the new model that was more rounded and sleek!
  • Reply 12 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stoobs View Post

I hate to tell you this, but "they" can already track you via your mobile phone already

Man, did you have to tell him that?
  • Reply 13 of 79
    Quote:

i agree, many of us are hoping for

1- 5+ megapixel camera - HD video capability to record

2- flash for camera

3- swappable battery

4- slide out keyboard!!

--------

and non-ATT service those of us in usa.

also, as for manufacturing in Taiwan, its a great idea. at least it is democratic there and the workers are better labor with more income and rights.
  • Reply 14 of 79
    Quote:

What design can Apple do to the iPhone that falls under your "revolutionary" hopes? Would you like to see a non candy bar form factor as in an Apple flip phone? A physical keyboard? The common plugs for removable battery, camera on front, flash for camera, OLED Screen, denser pixels, and so on.

It's easy to say I'm waiting for something great other than slight improvements and then not quantify what improvements you think need to be accomplished in order to call the next phone something other than a slight improvement over previous models...

Afterall, the MBP looks like the MBP of a few years ago except for the internals like unibody construction, increased processing power, larger hard drive and externals such as different color keys, a all in one glass trackpad, etc. I can't envision a laptop radically designed in such a way that makes someone say, "That's a laptop?"

What will Apple's redesign of the iPhone have to be to make you or someone else say, "That's an iPhone?"
  • Reply 15 of 79
    People are worrying about the future of the iPhone??

Chances are, Apple already has the game figured out for the next five years. Locked up. Done.

The only thing we should be worrying about is how to slither out of our carrier contracts in order to get our hands on Apple's latest and greatest.
  • Reply 16 of 79
    b747b747 Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

i agree, many of us are hoping for

1- 5+ megapixel camera - HD video capability to record

2- flash for camera

3- swappable battery

4- slide out keyboard!!

--------

and non-ATT service those of us in usa.

also, as for manufacturing in Taiwan, its a great idea. at least it is democratic there and the workers are better labor with more income and rights.

You'll be waiting for a long time. I don't think the iPhone will ever have a user swappable battery - the MacBooks is further evidence for this. The battery life is adequate at best and incorporating hinges et al would be detrimental.

Hopefully a better camera will come our way though. Serious photographs are best dealt with digicams though.
  • Reply 17 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by B747 View Post

You'll be waiting for a long time. I don't think the iPhone will ever have a user swappable battery - the MacBooks is further evidence for this. The battery life is adequate at best and incorporating hinges et al would be detrimental.

Hopefully a better camera will come our way though. Serious photographs are best dealt with digicams though.

Swappable battery? What is this, 2004? The iPhone's battery will outlast the length of time the individual will own the device. And there are already accessories to boost battery power should the person need it.
  • Reply 18 of 79
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    I don't really care for swappable battery either. Plus I don't really think the world is ready for RFID in the phone. Its been around for a few years and only now a few parts of the world are using it for contactless payment etc. Also if it was used to store any $ value, or served as confirmation for airline boarding or whatever there would probably need to be a lot more behind the scenes work for it to develop security software/accounts etc. That said, payment systems could do with some innovation, and the modded iPods Apple use in store are a pointer for what's interesting for business (if not individuals yet).

All I really want is a more dynamic and freshened up interface with notifications on it, so when I get back to my desk I can tell it has a message or activity without having to make the full screen live all the time.
  • Reply 19 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by B747 View Post

your right, apple doesn't listen to many customers and likes to keep its accessories business the same. each year. Not that i don't love the products, but they make baby steps and think mainly that software is the best "upgrade" and hardware in the iphone is just something they can continue to do incremental advancements in. which helps the profit margins.
  • Reply 20 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

your right, apple doesn't listen to many customers

Yet they keep coming back for more.

True, Apple doesn't listen to customers. Apple shows customers what they want before customers even know it.

And they're right.