Apple files countersuit against Nokia

Comments

• Reply 181 of 278
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Well I would beleive him over a lot of the stats tossed around here. But if there are 4.6 billion mobile connections in the world, and they have sold 35 million iPhones, how can you try and prove that they don't have a 0.7% market share?

Why are you restricting Apple to the Smartphone market, when Steve Jobs originally said he wanted a share of the total market?

If you read that article, it proves that the iPhone isn't as big as people in parts of the US make it out to be.

You?re being disingenuous again by comparing the installed base to unit sales. You know very well that Jobs stated that they were going after a 1% of the marketshare not installed base.

According to Gartner for Q2-2009 lists Apple selling 5.4M iPhones with the number of mobiles sold were 286M. That is 1.9% of the entire handset market for Q2-2009. (source)

Gartner?s results for Q3-2009 has Apple selling 7M iPhones with the number of mobiles sold were 309M. That is 2.28% of the entire handset market for Q3-2009. (source)

Quote:

So game consoles. 26 million game consoles were sold in 2006 worldwide, actually a little smaller than you'd think. It's not such a big market. Digital cameras dwarfed it at 94 million. MP3 players 135 million. And PCs, about 209. Mobile phones, just about a billion last year, worldwide. So what does this tell you? What this tells you is, that 1 percent market share equals 10 million units. This is a giant market. One percent market share, you're going to sell 10 million phones. And this is exactly what we're going to try to do in 2008, our first full year in the market, is grab 1 percent market share and go from there. So we're going to enter a very competitive market, lot of players, we think we're going to have the best product in the world, and we're going to go for it and see if we can get 1 percent market share, 10 million units in 2008, and go from there.

• Reply 182 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The fact is, it looks like at this point, Nokia has no real game plan moving forward in terms of smartphones. It's just an attempt to rehash what's already been done.

It does appear that they are without focus right now but I wouldn?t count Nokia out. They have a strong following and like Apple, Nintendo and many other companies they have a long time before we?ll even have to consider if they?re going to go under. Even if it takes them a couple years to get another great device in the HW and OS that people are falling over to get that is fine.

They have plenty of money, and therefore time to regroup yet they?ve already started off well already by getting with Mozilla to port Firefox 3 to QT that they bought last year. Mozilla really needs Nokia more than Nokia needs Mozilla who could simply go with WebKit or Opera if they wanted, but Firefox has a strong following and this could be decent draw for future Nokia phones running Maemo.
  • Reply 183 of 278
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You?re being disingenuous again by comparing the installed base to unit sales. You know very well that Jobs stated that they were going after a 1% of the marketshare not installed base.

All you have done is agreed with me, steve compared to the entire mobile market, so did I
  • Reply 184 of 278
    Quote:

All you have done is agreed with me, steve compared to the entire mobile market, so did I

Ok. So what? What point are you trying to make?

Apple doesn't make a "dumbphone." Only a smartphone. Apple has redefined the entire smartphone market, and now commands a 17% share of it, at least. Are you implying this is a disappintment for Apple, or that Steve Jobs is somehow unhappy about this??

Did you honestly think Apple was going to compete in the cheap, disposable dumbphone market with the iPhone? Does holding a 17% share in the smartphone market in two years and a 2% share overall mean the iPhone is a failure?? Does the fact that more people are buying Nokia 1200s rather than iPhones mean the iPhone is lacking in some area or can't keep up with the 1200?

What are you trying to say?
  • Reply 185 of 278
    Quote:

Right. Gartner is in cahoots with Apple. As is NPD, IDC, and AdMob.

AdMob is a joke, it has been proven over and over again, so bad example there. And people here like to rubbish Gartner when they favor MS, but it is acceptable when they favor apple?

Quote:

Umm . . . the iPhone.The device the also-rans are trying furiously to imitate, unsuccessfully. The device that revolutionzed the entire mobile industry overnight. Where have you been the last two years??

Umm... Phones aren't new, they existed before the iPhone, they sold a lot of them as well. Touch screens, nope, they aren't new either. cellphones have had them for a long time, App Store, nope, not new, Apps, not new, acutally they was just a rehash from Apple that everyone else already had. Sure the iPhone was a great thing to come out in the US, but in the last two years Apple hasn't brought anything new to the table, all rehashes of what everyone else was already selling.

Infact, I have seen a grand total of two, maybe three iPhones in the wild in the last two years, in multiple countries, all with over 100% usage, that is including a grand total of one in the last year.
  • Reply 186 of 278
    Quote:

Are you really this daft? Nothing I wrote is in agreement with your silly comments. You pulled up a number out of your ass for the INSTALLED BASE while Steve pulled a number for SALES OVER ONE YEAR. An INSTALLED BASE is a measure of the number of units in use, as opposed to MARKET SHARE which only reflects sales over a particular TIME FRAME.
  • Reply 187 of 278
    Quote:

What are you trying to say?

The iPhone is over rated, and its users have a unrealistic viewpoint of it's popularity.
  • Reply 188 of 278
    Quote:

Are you really this daft? Nothing I wrote is in agreement with your silly comments. An INSTALLED BASE is a measure of the number of units in use, as opposed to MARKET SHARE which only reflects sales over a particular TIME FRAME.

Are you really this daft. We were talking about the entire market (you know with all phones included. you know smartphones, "dumb" phones as you guys like to call them etc).

You mentioned steves dream of getting 1% of the previous years sales values, ie all phones, not restricted to just smartphones.

If you don't understand this, then maybe your Apple shares are clouding your viewpoint
  • Reply 189 of 278
    Quote:

Are you really this daft. We were talking about the entire market (you know with all phones included. you know smartphones, "dumb" phones as you guys like to call them etc).

Yes, MARKET not INSTALLED BASE. The MARKET he mentioned was 1B units to be sold, not 4.6B units sold. You can add basic maths and economics to the reading comprehension classes you need to take.

Quote:

You mentioned steves dream of getting 1% of the previous years sales values, ie all phones, not restricted to just smartphones.

And as everyone realizes, but you, Apple has exceeded that goal. Even more than doubling it in the last quarter.
    Worldwide handset sales for Q3-2009 — 308,869,300

Apple’s iPhone sales for Q3-2009 — 7,040,400

Apple’s percentage of worldwide handset marketshare — 2.28%
  • Reply 190 of 278
    Quote:

Yes, MARKET not INSTALLED BASE. The MARKET he mentioned was 1B units to be sold, not 4.6B units sold. You can add basic maths and economics to the reading comprehension classes you need to take.

Yes, he mention he wanted to match the market from the previous year, so what, that market increased by something like 10% in the next year. As you are a stated apple shareholder, you are not in the place to suggest anything to anybody, the fact you own the shares clouds your viewpoint, and devalues your statements.

Quote:

And as everyone realizes, but you, Apple has exceeded that goal. Even more than doubling it in the last quarter.

Yes they have, they have now sold 35 million phones, into an existing market of 4.6 billion phones. Everyone seems to understand this but you
  • Reply 191 of 278
    Quote:

AdMob is a joke, it has been proven over and over again, so bad example there. And people here like to rubbish Gartner when they favor MS, but it is acceptable when they favor apple?

Then where exactly do you plan on getting your numbers from? Do you plan on setting up your own market research firm? Are you saying Gartner and the others who reported the same numbers year after year are all wrong? So YOU have the inside track on market research and analysis??

And anyone who fails to acknowledge what the iPhone has brought to the table (to this date unmatched) needs their head examined. LOL, So how do you stand on the whole "earth is round" theory? Do you believe we descended from lower forms of life or do you think we all rode dinosaurs to church?
  • Reply 192 of 278
    Quote:

Yes they have, they have now sold 35 million phones, into an existing market of 4.6 billion phones. Everyone seems to understand this but you

Right. So what's your point? Do you expect the iPhone to compete with the Nokia 1200 or something? We're talking smartphones here, not regular cell phones. Are you going to complain about RIM as well? Because they too, sell ONLY smartphones, and are barely 2% above Apple worldwide.

Yes, of course there are many, many more dumbphones than smartphones. We all know this. Again, what's your point??

Solipsism is stating facts. Anyone can do that (and should), and has no bearing on them being a shareholder or not.
  • Reply 193 of 278
    Quote:

As you are a stated apple shareholder, you are not in the place to suggest anything to anybody, the fact you own the shares clouds your viewpoint, and devalues your statements.

I’m not a paid analyst so I can discuss any of the companies I own. I have backed up every word here with sources, which is something I can’t say you have done. Even after multiple posts you still don’t understand what an INSTALLED BASE and what MARKET SHARE is.

Quote:

But if there are 4.6 billion mobile connections in the world, and they have sold 35 million iPhones, how can you try and prove that they don't have a 0.7% market share?

BTW, Apple has sold 35M iPhones but that doesn’t mean there are 35M iPhones still in use. The INSTALLED BASE will be lower than the total sold since users buy new phones and sometimes they retire them or they break them. Either way the number of TOTAL SALES will not equal the INSTALLED BASE. If you continue to compare INSTALLED BASE to the stated measure of MARKET SHARE by Jobs you will continue to make yourself look foolish.
  • Reply 194 of 278
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

BINGO

APPLE has multi multi touch swipe tech patents

hundreds of patents

f--nokia

crush nokia

boil their bones

go apple

Is that you Gollum
  • Reply 195 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

One other thing to note here. sapporobabyrtrns hails from Helsinki, Finland home base of Nokia. Just for the record, Nokia is one of, if not the largest Finnish company, accounts for a significant chunk of the capitalization in the Finnish stockmarket, a respectable percentage of the Finnish exports market as well as its own Gross Domestic Product (GDP). Nokia is highly regarded in Finland, in fact it inspires a frothy- mouthed loyalty in the normally stoic and reticent Finns, not seen since the hey-days of ABBA. I would not be a bit surprised to find out that sapporobabyrtrns is a stockholder or employee of the firm.

sapporobabyrtrns, Älä nakata poron paskaa, poika. Se saa heitti takaisin sinulle. But my Finnish is terrible - so take that in the best possible way.

Wow, what an ASSumption. Being in Finland does not make me a Finn. I just happen to work here at the moment. Whether or not Nokia is the largest, smallest, middle, infinitesimal company in the world is of no consequence to me. They could fold tomorrow and it would not affect me one bit. In short, I do not care. There you go, I saved you the surprise. Can't help you about the ASS.

By the way I do not speak Finnish and could not be bothered to use Google Translate, but I cordially invite you to: Foxtrot, Oscar, Echo, Sierra, Alpha, Delta. From me to you, up close and personal.
  • Reply 196 of 278
    Quote:

Then where exactly do you plan on getting your numbers from? Do you plan on setting up your own market research firm? Are you saying Gartner and the others who reported the same numbers year after year are all wrong? So YOU have the inside track on market research and analysis??

No, my question is, why is Gartner acceptable when they are talking positive about Apple, but when they talk postive about Microsoft they are rubbish?

Quote:

And anyone who fails to acknowledge what the iPhone has brought to the table (to this date unmatched) needs their head examined. LOL, So how do you stand on the whole "earth is round" theory? Do you believe we descended from lower forms of life or do you think we all rode dinosaurs to church?

What have they brought to the table then?
  • Reply 197 of 278
    Quote:

Right. So what's your point? Do you expect the iPhone to compete with the Nokia 1200 or something? We're talking smartphones here, not regular cell phones. Are you going to complain about RIM as well? Because they too, sell ONLY smartphones, and are barely 2% above Apple worldwide.

Yes, of course there are many, many more dumbphones than smartphones. We all know this. Again, what's your point??

Your lord almightly Steve pitted himself against the entire market, but it is not ok for you to?

Also, you may want to look up "percentage points", versus a percentage, I will help you on your way, especially since you like your facts.

With your example data, RIM is on 20.8%, Apple on 17.1%

If RIM was 2% above Apple, then RIM would on 17.442% (that is 2% different), if they were 2 percentage points, they would be 19.1%, notice the difference?

Quote:

Solipsism is stating facts. Anyone can do that (and should), and has no bearing on them being a shareholder or not.

Hmm, hit a nerve, you wouldn't happen to have a couple of shares also, would you?
  • Reply 198 of 278
    Quote:

I?m not a paid analyst so I can discuss any of the companies I own. I have backed up every word here with sources, which is something I can?t say you have done. Even after multiple posts you still don?t understand what an INSTALLED BASE and what MARKET SHARE is.

Yes you can discuss what you want, still doesn't change the fact that your comments can be taken with a grain of salt.

Yes I know the difference, Nokia has a large install base, and market share, Apple has a small install base and market share.

Quote:

BTW, Apple has sold 35M iPhones but that doesn?t mean there are 35M iPhones still in use. The INSTALLED BASE will be lower than the total sold since users buy new phones and sometimes they retire them or they break them. Either way the number of TOTAL SALES will not equal the INSTALLED BASE. If you continue to compare INSTALLED BASE to the stated measure of MARKET SHARE by Jobs you will continue to make yourself look foolish.

No more follish than someone overstating the impact of the iPhone internationally
  • Reply 199 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Nice can you be a tad bit more rude and dismissive? No really go on a try a bit harder. Mod - I think we have studlytech lurking under a different moniker here.

But to respond to the baby's returns, let's look at the questions posted and see who has the correct answers here. Now I will assume you have no real knowledge of how the technology licensing works, so I'll use short words and simple sentences so you can easily follow along - just call out if you get lost along the way.

A little over 22 years ago a consortium (baby - that means big group) of telecommunications companies (large groups of people working together to manufacture devices that talk to each other) created (what was then known as Group Speciale Mobile, then became) Global System for Mobile communications, or GSM. The group of 15 or so companies established the first set of standards. Nokia was one of those companies. In the following years, Nokia developed, patented and then provded those technologies (voice codecs, and transmission technologies for example - go with me on this one baby). The Nordic Mobile Telephony standards were used to build an agreed upon standard for most of western Europe, which became the core of GSM in use today. All of Nokia's IP (that's Intellectual Property, or ideas and inventions that Nokia developed and registered in support of the GSM standard) became a part of the standard and therefore became subject to a restricted licensing process known as F/RAND, which is established as a part of the IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) policies governing royalty payments. F/RAND is "fair/reasonable and non-discriminatory policies established by the governing Standards Setting Organisations (SSOs). These standards dictate what limits are placed on what an IP holder can require as a royalty on the use of the IP it produced in support of the standard.

Nokia is accused (by Apple) of trying to double-dip on Apple - they want not just their royalties, but reciprocity on key Apple technology patents. Apple claims that it already is paying into those royalties by using existing 3rd party technologies which have already paid the royalties.

Zzzzzzzz..... Sorry. Didn't mean to doze off.... Didn't see anything of interest here. Still waiting though. I'm sure you have it in you to deliver something of value. You just have to believe. I believe in you.
  • Reply 200 of 278
    Quote:

No more follish than someone overstating the impact of the iPhone internationally

They aren?t under- or overstated, they are stated exactly as the Gartner numbers indicate. I took worldwide handset numbers and Apple?s iPhone numbers and derived their percentage. I gaveyou the sources so you can do the math though I think you?ve been hit by a few too many kylies to make that possible

You are the only poster here trying to twist the numbers by saying Apple never meet their self-imposed goal because they?re market share is less than 1% of the installed base, as if that is suppose to make sense or that anyone over 10yo would be fooled by your silly and blatant attempt to lie about easily obtainable facts and well understand economic terms.

You?ve been given sources and exact quotes as to what Jobs stated during the 2007 keynote and yet you still swear that Jobs implied installed base despite saying market share. Perhaps some protective headgear would be in order.