Apple to delay iMac orders, citing display issues

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has reportedly delayed shipments of its 27-inch iMac model to resellers as reports of screen flickering issues have grown.

Apple authorized resellers have reported delays in shipments of new 27-inch iMac models due to reports of display problems. Reports of flickering screens and yellow-tinged displays have become more common around the Internet, so much so that a Web site has been created to catalog reports of issues from users.

According to the Apple iMac (Fall 2009) Issues blog, out of 678 respondents, nearly half have had problems with flickering displays. The author does note that the numbers are part of an ?unscientific survey? and should not be considered representative of all iMacs sold.

The blog also reports that Apple resellers have been told of delays of 2 weeks, allegedly in order to give Apple time to replace the graphics cards on the 27-inch iMacs. The iMac model in question comes in either dual-core or quad-core formats and contain the AMD ATI Radeon HD 4670 or 4850 model graphics cards.

Computerworld reported that multiple U.S. resellers report delays of anywhere from five days to two months.

AppleInsider noted in late November that users were reporting issues with the 27-inch model, with some receiving dead computers and others receiving models with cracked displays. Issues of stuttering when playing flash content were also common and were fixed for some by an update in early November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Graphics issues have caused Apple to delay shipments of the 27-inch iMac model until the cause of the problem can be determined.

Apple authorized resellers have reported delays in shipments of new 27-inch iMac models due to reports of display problems. Reports of flickering screens and yellow-tinged displays have become more common around the internet, so much so that a website has been created to catalog reports of issues from users.

According to the Apple iMac (Fall 2009) Issues blog, out of 678 respondents, nearly half have had problems with flickering displays. The issues blog reports that Apple resellers have been told of delays of 2 weeks in order to give Apple time to replace the graphics cards on the 27-inch iMacs. The iMac model in question comes in both dual-core and quad-core formats and contains the AMD ATI Radeon HD 4670 or 4850 model graphics cards.

Computerworld reported that multiple U.S. resellers report delays of anywhere from five days to two months.

AppleInsider noted in late November that users were reporting issues with the 27-inch model, with some receiving dead computers and others receiving models with cracked displays. Issues of stuttering when playing flash content also was common and was fixed for some by an update in early November.

wow

maybe its those 12 core chip sets ??

wow
  • Reply 2 of 75
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Sounds like a good responsible corporation.
  • Reply 3 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Sounds like a good responsible corporation.

Though I wish they'd done this a long time ago. They let it get really out of hand.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    Unfortunate timing.

At what point do they have to call the computers refurb? When they leave the factory, when they arrive at a retailer,or when they are purchased by an end-user? Might be a chance to get a pretty good deal on one after the holidays.
  • Reply 5 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

At what point do they have to call the computers refurb? .

Excellent question!
  • Reply 6 of 75
    Apple has been steller in the support department. I had the issue with an i7 and it's replacement (going back Monday) and both computers were replaced with no questions asked. Very slick. I've owned 15-20 Macs over the years and this is the first time I've ever had an issue. I'm a pleased client even with this small glitch. Those 27 inchers are beautiful machines and once the problem is resolved, I can't wait to get another.

This thread covers the ongoing issue from the beginning: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....=1175&tstart=0

Bill
  • Reply 7 of 75
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

At what point do they have to call the computers refurb?

???

After it has been returned and repaired to be resold.

Quote:

When they leave the factory, when they arrive at a retailer,or when they are purchased by an end-user?

None of the above.

After it gets repaired, it gets resold as refurbished.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

???

No, not really. I know that if it's returned by the end user then repaired it's resold as "refurbished". Anytime before that, who knows? They might still sell it as "new" so long as it never got to the end user's hands, no matter how close it got.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

???

After it has been returned and repaired to be resold.

None of the above.

This is a shocker in more ways than one! If as you say, and I have no reason to disagree with you, that they are considered refurbished after they have been repaired regardless of their sales status, I wonder then what their price will be and will any of the refurbs be sold through ClubMac?

When my wife hears this she's gonna have even a bigger reason to be glad she hasn't given the nod to purchasing one yet. I gotta listen to her more often. She is freaky smart when it comes to spending money wisely!!
  • Reply 10 of 75
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    I know two companies that have received a total of 40 27" iMacs (C2D, i5 and i7) between Wednesday and Friday last week. So, obviously there is no general production stop because of a specific issue. If there would be a general problem with the 4670 GPU, then the 21" model would be affected as well... does not really add up.

So, was there an official statement from Apple saying they delay shipments because of issues, or do we talk about resellers drawing conclusions based on estimated delivery times (of course, an exceptionally high number of returns will impact delivery times, but that does not mean there is an acknowledged issue). My local dealer (an extremely small shop) told me he has more than 200 pending 27" iMac orders - the highest amount of backorders he had for any article ever. Maybe we really just talk about exceptional demand here?!
  • Reply 11 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

I know two companies that have received a total of 40 27" iMacs (C2D, i5 and i7) between Wednesday and Friday last week. So, obviously there is no general production stop because of a specific issue. If there would be a general problem with the 4670 GPU, then the 21" model would be affected as well... does not really add up.

So, was there an official statement from Apple saying they delay shipments because of issues, or do we talk about resellers drawing conclusions based on estimated delivery times (of course, an exceptionally high number of returns will impact delivery times, but that does not mean there is an acknowledged issue). My local dealer (an extremely small shop) told me he has more than 200 pending 27" iMac orders - the highest amount of backorders he had for any article ever. Maybe we really just talk about exceptional demand here?!

Possibly a smoke screen then?
  • Reply 12 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Graphics issues have caused Apple to delay shipments of the 27-inch iMac model until the cause of the problem can be determined.

Have a 27" i7 iMac... Ordered October 20, Delivered Nov 13.

Perfect. No Display Issues
  • Reply 13 of 75
    Quote:

Unfortunate timing.

At what point do they have to call the computers refurb? When they leave the factory, when they arrive at a retailer,or when they are purchased by an end-user? Might be a chance to get a pretty good deal on one after the holidays.

Good shout, will keep an eye open for them.
  • Reply 14 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markdo View Post

Have a 27" i7 iMac... Ordered October 20, Delivered Nov 13.

Perfect. No Display Issues

Very Simple....

Why, is everyone making such a gig about this?

The new Screens take the glass to the edge...

Is that a Hint? Any of you hardward developers??

Of COURSE!

You bump that edge, the screen gets cracked!

I can repeat that for you stupid F'n Design folks.....

And, one more time, in case ya'll are REALLY STUPID?

Bring that glass edge back, like the last generation iMac! OK?

Then, Even if you DON'T UNDERSTAND. YOU"LL STILL, GET IT RIGHT!

YOU F'n FOOLS!

I can't believe, who I'm written to!

Where is SJ?

He's too fugin stupid to read this.....

Sorry

SJ

pete

(Best Engineer, you EVER Had!)

my IIgs still works!
  • Reply 15 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOutlaw View Post

Your words fall onto deaf homosexual knight ears.
  • Reply 16 of 75
    I got my first 27" iMac very shortly after they were released. First one in the store. It's been working beautifully. Got another one just last week and have them connected via DisplayPort. The new one is flicker city. So, on my desk, we're looking at a 50% failure rate.
  • Reply 17 of 75
    Yikes. My new 17-inch MBP is perfect. I've been 100% portables since the 'Lombard.' Think I'll stay there.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    Quote:

Very Simple....

Of COURSE!

YOU F'n FOOLS!

Where is SJ?

Sorry

SJ

pete

my IIgs still works!

Are we having Jack or is it Grey Goose again?
  • Reply 19 of 75
    Quote:

Very Simple....

Of COURSE!

YOU F'n FOOLS!

Where is SJ?

Sorry

SJ

pete

my IIgs still works!

Wait a minute! Where in this article did they mention anything about the cracked screen issue? You're almost three weeks too late to talk about the cracks. The article on the cracks was posted on November 24 - http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ased_imac.html

Your post almost makes it look like you are trolling. Be careful & be nice!
  • Reply 20 of 75
    Apple acknowledges the frequency of the complaints and noticed the minor issue of the problem, and like a responsible company are taken the necessary measures to resolve the issue... CASE CLOSED... Apple will notify resellers or users if they feel these people are entitled to more information

Their also doing a insanely great job of replacing faulty machinery.