Verizon preparing for possible arrival of iPhone in 2010 - report

Comments

• Reply 121 of 142
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Yes, how could the Apple Store staff possibly handle the jump from 5 SKU's to 10? They'd probably need months of intense training for such a massive increase in available items.

they may con sider adding one model every 6 weeks and then monitor employees for mental break downs

they are a brave bunch those cool cats from APPLE land . the virus protection SW sales alone must have caused some apple emoplyeees to drinks on the job from stress.

i ca;nt even spell any,ore i am so over wheledm now
  • Reply 122 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

I suppose you're going to be checking your posts from now on, as well?

i feared this would blow back on me
  • Reply 123 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Really? AT&T can and is upgrading their network.

Verizon is finding out it's much harder to duplicate the iPhone (three lackluster tries so far, still counting!)

Ever hear the saying "I may be fat but your stupid and I can diet?" Verizon has a significant problem right now. There is no reason why AT&T can't build out their network and by all accounts they are. These things don't happen over night - nothing about infrastructure moves quickly. Verizon has been laying fibre for five years in my area, and I'm still at least a year out from even being offered FIOS - which now is less appealing as they have changed their pricing to make it more expensive then the incumbent cable co

Someone is a tad defensive...

I dunno, sounds like it sucks to be you in NYC. Life is just fine where I am and your crappy experience in no way diminishes my awesome experience. Rant all you want, my iPhone works just fine (and not just where I live, in large parts of the rest of the country where I have been).

I'm glad there are people who want to live in big cities like NYC or densely populated areas like the Bay Area - and hopefully they stay there

Thank you

nah we may bitch a lot in ole nyc but we love it

i wish all cell phones worked well

i wish all carriers could sell the god phone

i wish i could get a simple tax free bill from some one one day

i wish hulu could stream on any portable media players

i wish DICK TRACEY was alive to see his video wrist watch come true

i wish halo cod was written first from the mac brand

i wish steve live a long life . i worry about him ,a lot

i wish my buddy teckstud returned with a much better over all attitude

i wish the first 41 dr no;s were as nice as grand ole circus ,loving NUMBER 42 ! !!

on to the jet game !!!
  • Reply 124 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TripAcez View Post

i d

I mean you gotta remember we CANNOT talk and browse at the same time..so that is less strain on it

actually you can talk browse at the same time

but only on fart apps

remember

• Reply 125 of 142
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum P.T. Barnum

is that enuff P.T. Barnum;s or you want more ???

big boy

Geez, your post was completely annoying and incoherent. You live in NY and AT&T sucks there. We get it. So go get a frigging droid already. It's not a bad phone but it's also not as good as the iPhone.

And no, Apple doesn't need CMDA on Verizon any more than Apple needs and xMac or a netbook. Especially with Verizon going LTE aggressively. In a few years the iPhone will work on Verizon anyway.
  • Reply 126 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Geez, your post was completely annoying and incoherent. You live in NY and AT&T sucks there. We get it. So go get a frigging droid already. It's not a bad phone but it's also not as good as the iPhone.

And no, Apple doesn't need CMDA on Verizon any more than Apple needs and xMac or a netbook. Especially with Verizon going LTE aggressively. In a few years the iPhone will work on Verizon anyway.

Where have you been these past couple months? VZW has already stated CDMA will be very much alive now until at LEAST 2014 as their VOICE option. LTE will handle DATA..so why would Apple wait to make an "LTE" phone..if they have to make it with CDMA coding in it anyway? why not gain those extra dollars now?
  • Reply 127 of 142
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Where have you been these past couple months? VZW has already stated CDMA will be very much alive now until at LEAST 2014 as their VOICE option. LTE will handle DATA..so why would Apple wait to make an "LTE" phone..if they have to make it with CDMA coding in it anyway? why not gain those extra dollars now?

Vinea did state ?in a couple years? not the usual ?Verizon will have LTE up and running in 2010? which is so commonly heard and misinterpreted as meaning that Verizon will have feasible LTE coverage immediately. A few years should be enough time to get pretty good LTE coverage.

Also, while Verizon has stated they will be using LTE for data-only they?ll eventually state to phase out CDMA for voice in favour of VoIP to their network with LTE. An iPhone circa 2013 would be a great way to start this trend.

S. Korea?s entire mobile infrastructure has CDMA for 2G yet the iPhone works solely on one carrier?s 3GSM network. I can see something similar occurring here in the States.
  • Reply 128 of 142
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Maybe Apple ought to find a way to get the iPhone on Verizon.

This network issue is becoming a meme in the public consciousness. True or not, proven or not, perception is reality in the public image game.
  • Reply 129 of 142
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    This is a brilliant move by Verizon. It should be enough to essentially halt defections to ATT for the iPhone. I already know a ton of people who want an iPhone but won't leave Verizon - every one has some tale of some sales guy who told them the iPhone would come to Verizon "soon" and it's always a different rumor. This will be plenty to keep Verizon's customers from leaving for another 6 months or so.
  • Reply 130 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Revolume View Post

Person: Verizon, didn't you blast the iPhone for not having a keyboard, 5MP camera, and removable battery? And now you suddenly carry it and advertise it?

Verizon: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............Come onnnnnnnnnnn.............

You left off the last line:

Person: I'll take one, asap.
  • Reply 131 of 142
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

This is a brilliant move by Verizon. It should be enough to essentially halt defections to ATT for the iPhone. I already know a ton of people who want an iPhone but won't leave Verizon - every one has some tale of some sales guy who told them the iPhone would come to Verizon "soon" and it's always a different rumor. This will be plenty to keep Verizon's customers from leaving for another 6 months or so.

I agree. Also the DROID has stopped a lot of people from defecting and a few people sorry that they did.
  • Reply 132 of 142
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Yes, and I said a few years which solipsism noted. If they're on schedule they'll have a decent footprint in 2013 and be able to start phasing out CDMA afterwards. Few...more than 2, less than several. But CDMA's path forward died with UMB.

Apple will make a LTE iphone sooner than 2014 and it should handle some form of LTE voice. The problem is that right now in 2009 we've got at least three competing that I remember off the top of my head: IMS (3GPP), VoLGA (T-Mobile), and some dumb assed thing from Nokia. That's 2 too many.

Besides, the main issue isn't how hard it would to do a CDMA phone. It's whether Verizon is willing to play by Apple's rules. Given that they've bent to Google over Droid the answer is now likely more monetary than control.
  • Reply 133 of 142
    Quote:

Why is it you guys are so anti VZW? Because it cant make "Data and voice" simultaneously? VZW cant "talk and browse" at the same time,but you can sure as hell talk AND text at the same time. so what more do you need? you guys act like EVERYONE is watching a youtube video and talking to their friend at the same time. It's a luxury NOT a necessity.

Funny, I kinda like having a luxury in my device. I guess if I just wanted the bare necessity, you have a point.

Quote:

Talk and text is 100% fine with me until LTE is up and running, be it Q4 2010 or 2011.

What an interesting way to say it! So you're saying you'll be totally fine with no simultaneous data and voice UNTIL you can do both at once. Well duh! Guess what? The rest of us (on ATT) know what it's like to do both at once and we can't understand why anyone would want to not have that ability.

Quote:

I for one hope they DO go to VZW AND/OR T-Mobile. That will benefit ALL. VZW will NOT incur an "overload" as you all hope they do. People will stay with ATT,some may go, who knows, but what happened to ATT's network wont happen to VZW because its not like all the iphone subscribers will be running to them. As some of you have pointed out you are satisfied with it. So be it.

Bring on the iphone in 2010, I'm hopeful that it finds MULTIPLE new homes with NO Exclusivity agreement.

Now you're making sense.
  • Reply 134 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

How "much" has Verizon done to get their network ready for the iPhone?

How "much" did AT&T ever do "and is only doing now?"

Can you quantify any of this, or are you talking out of your butt?

Do you think any of this might be related the fact that Verizon has the benefit of 20-20 hindsight and now knows their network wouldn't be ready to handle the massive data increase and they would have been in exactly the same boat as AT&T had they been the exclusive iPhone carrier?

Funny I was going to reply the exact same questions. So many people talk about "how much" is "done" yet we all know that the actual facts are not public.
  • Reply 135 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

had a bad hair day

forgive my poor posting

peace

• Reply 136 of 142
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Most of those missing Verizon phone features are things that only a handful of users are going to use such as disabled Bluetooth profiles. Or even wifi that you mentioned.

Wifi is a pretty big deal to most users, esp. if carriers start introducing metering/tierd pricing (which I personally think is long overdue - time to end the "unlimited" charade). It's easy to dismiss missing features, but Verizon phones have traditionally been crippled vs. the exact same phone on other carriers.

YOU WOULD NOT HAVE THE DROID WITHOUT THE IPHONE

You can stick your head in the sand all you want to, but that is the simple truth. A non-Verizon app store would also be laughable if Apple hadn't taken that away from them.

Quote:

Nonsense. The Motorola Razr had massive sales for years but was a really terrible phone. It was the fashionable cell phone to have. Just like the iPhone has become (except being a better phone the Razr ever was). The iPhone is the "must have" cell phone du jour.

The Razr was more then just fashionable, it was also the slimmest phone - by far - on the market, and it held that distinction for quite some time. I had my eye on one for some time because of it's small physical size - I would be able to put it in my pocket easily and ditch holster/case for my existing phone.

I love how people love to dismiss successful products like the Razor or iPhone as being successful simply because they are "cool" or "trendy". You don't get sustained sales volume just on fluff, despite the popular mythos.

And some quick googling will show you iPhone sales have blown past the Razr by quite a wide margin.

Quote:

Please, it doesn't matter if AT&T builds out its network. There isn't going to be some mass exodus from Verizon in such an event as you're trying to imply.

AT&T doesn't need a mass exodus. They just need to stop or exceed Verizon's growth - and they have already done that, with the iPhone, for the last three quarters in a row.

There is no Alltell for Verizon to buy to prop up their subscriber numbers and keep their "#1" position. I suppose they could take on Sprint, but that could be a "sink they company" move for sure...

Quote:

The smart phone market is a small segment of the cell phone market.

$99 iPhones could change that easily. They need cheaper basic data plans to match the phone cost - $79 minimum plans aren't going to cut it. If that happens, watch out. Why would you mess with a dumb feature phone if you can have cheap entry into the iPhone universe?

At one time cell phones themselves were a small segment - now they are pretty much taken for granted and if you don't have one, you are the weirdo. Hang onto the present at your own peril...

Quote:

There are plenty of people that still just want a phone and being able to browse the internet while sitting on the toilet at Starbucks isn't going to matter to them.

There are millions of iPod owners that would probably like to consolidate their phone and iPod. If the right plan were introduced so the monthly fee's were more reasonable combined with a $99 iPhone... the sky is the limit. It will be interesting to see if AT&T follows through (I think that's the real rumblings behind the tiered plans).
  • Reply 137 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I can understand ATT being caught by surprise at the popularity of the iPhone. Someone didn't do their homework.

A single device accounting for 40% of web traffic?

How the heck are you supposed to "do your homework" for unprecedented demand?

Hint: The key is in the word "unprecedented"

The simple fact is, even Apple was caught off guard by demand for not only the iPhone, but for data and applications. They have stated repeatedly it exceeded their wildest expectations. Verizon would have crumbled just as bad as AT&T - perhaps even worse since CDMA towers cover greater area per tower - the offshoot is lower aggregate capacity overall - it cuts both ways. No vendor has excess capacity just waiting "in the wings" - they may have a reasonable cushion, but the iPhone totally blew that out of the water.

Verizon wishes they were having AT&T's problems - negative press or not. 3 quarters of Adds that exceed Verizon are nothing to sneeze at, "superior" network or not. Thats all V has to hang their hat on - "the network". As AT&T ramps up, rolls out 850 MHz and basically solves these issues, then what is V going to differentiate themselves on? " not nearly as big of a$$holes as we used to be?" "The new verizon - we kind of give you choice - but not because we wanted to?"

All this short memory romanticizing of Verizon would be hilarious if it wasn't so nauseating.
  • Reply 138 of 142
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

A single device accounting for 40% of web traffic?

How the heck are you supposed to "do your homework" for unprecedented demand?

Intelligent thought has no business on an internet forum. You need you trade your logic and rationale in for torches and pitchforks.
  • Reply 139 of 142
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You need you trade your logic and rationale in for torches and pitchforks.

Or a brown nose
  • Reply 140 of 142
    I've been waiting for a year for my Verizon contract to run out so I can get an iPhone. I'd rather stay in Verizon because my wife is also with Verizon and I've been happy with their service. But I'm not willing to wait forever. I've read a lot of the reports and views about whether a Verizon iPhone will happen in 2010. The more I read the less it sounds likely.

I'm looking for some advice: Should just go ahead and buy the AT&T phone? How bad is their coverage really? Or is there a reasonable chance that Verizon could have an iPhone this year?