Apple likely to delay rollout of Windows 7 support

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I think the virtues of each method largely depends on how often you need to use Windows and for what.

Well-put. No point investing in a WIndows machine if you only run WIndows software occasionally.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    I haven't yet installed Windows 7, but I use both a virtual machine and Boot Camp. I boot Vista when I want to play a game, but for everything else Microsoft I run my Boot Camp parition in Parallels. I'm in no rush to upgrade since there is nothing broken yet.

I still run Leopard on my home iMac (though I run Snow Leopard on my MBP and Mini), while I wait for broken software to be updated for 10.6. Doing this means I have to boot Snow Leopard from an external Firewire drive if I want to play Dragon Age: Origins :/

So, I really have more issues with Mac OS at this point in time than I do with Windows.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    If once in a blue moon anyone need to run a windows application they can do so in a virtual machine with a xp that by all accounts is much faster than 7.

Why would anyone want to tax their system with the train wreck that is 7 in a virtual machine set up (or even worse a dual boot scheme)?

No need for 7 really.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I currently use bootcamp and have a copy of VMWare, so am interested to know...

When you start up your bootcamped Windows partition as a virtual machine, does Parallels then save the VM to your Mac, and therefore double up the size of Windows?

Once you've worked in Parallels, can you then bootcamp into Windows and carry on or are the changes not reflected back into the Windows partition?

Nope, no new files or anything... All that happens is the bootcamp drive on your desktop disappears and windows starts is it usally does... The only thing that may happen is windows may ask you to activate again since "your hardware changed" but you can activate an unlimited number of times
  • Reply 45 of 76
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Apple likes spanking microsloft. Everything is nice and silicon is hot baby hot! Why not sing in the rain. Let Bill know that he deserves the best life can offer. I have made Bill rich. You have too. Why not just spank yourself for doing so. Smack Smack Smack. Or if your fat it would be something like this. Splat Splat Splat. Nick Nack Patty wack, give the dog a bone. Love ya baby. Oh ya.

Here is a group of microsloft workers. they say hello.

\

Mixed emotions on that one. Wonder why they are so messed up. I tried to get them to sing in chorus but they never seem to get it. Wonder if that is why microsloft is so lame.

People of microsloft's inner sphinkter unite.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

If once in a blue moon anyone need to run a windows application they can do so in a virtual machine with a xp that by all accounts is much faster than 7.

Why would anyone want to tax their system with the train wreck that is 7 in a virtual machine set up (or even worse a dual boot scheme)?

No need for 7 really.

i agree, i couldn't care less if windows 7 is supported or not under snow leopard...however some unlucky people (ie me) have to use it for work, therefore have to install virtualbox, and then install it...
  • Reply 47 of 76
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Hey man I just over drafted my account 1,000,000,00. Some body help me. I tried to help Billy boy. He needed to refuel his jet with peanut oil from Brazil. Bill needs to be up in the sky he loves it. That way he can look down his long wooden nose at us. Hey I hear a whistle.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

No need for 7 really.

Typically I put it on there for games, and I will occasionally encode video on the Windows side. The tools are a little more advanced and more numerous in the open source arena.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Pretty straightforward. Anyone who wants to run it natively doesn?t need to wait for Apple. Pretty much all the Vista drivers work with Win7. The only caveat is the touchpad driver, as mentioned above by Tcrown, but in all honesty I haven?t heard of a multi-touch trackpad that works great under any other vendor with Windows running.

Asus has decent trackpads, for the three family members that have them anyway. The latest one I bought for my mother in law has two finger scrolling and such, works quite well running Win7.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    If Apple developers see it the way I do, I can understand why they haven't already fully supported Windows 7. Because as a Mac user if I were going to install a Windows OS on my Macs it would still be Windows XP. I haven't used a newer Windows OS since...
  • Reply 51 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Asus has decent trackpads, for the three family members that have them anyway. The latest one I bought for my mother in law has two finger scrolling and such, works quite well running Win7.

I?m a fan of Asus, not to be confused with Acer. I?ve had and have seen consistent quality from them. I can?t say that about others.

For starters, ClickPad was only released a few months back from Synaptic. It?s essentially the same trackpad in the MB/MBPs with the integrated button. The problem is that this is one of the biggest complaints of the HP Envys as the driver or Windows OS has problems with even basic scrolling. I recall the review suggesting you hook up an external mouse.

Before that, Synaptic was a couple years behind Apple in releasing a dual-touch trackpad with gestures, which had its own share of problems due to a lack of adoption and OS integration. Here is a press release from less than 2 years ago introducing multi-touch.
    It?s these little things like that make me appreciate the synergy of Mac HW and Mac OS X.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    Quote:

Not supported does not mean it’s not possible, obviously. The article should have mentioned that it’s easy to run Win7 natively on a Mac.

considering that Apple doesn't actually officially support Windows and Boot Camp use I don't see an update is even needed beyond perhaps a small handful of drivers for Apple created items like the keyboard and mouse. they aren't going to help you set it up and such. or fix it when it F's up. although here in SoCal they'd probably tell you to talk it to the Mission Viego MS store (and wish they could be there when you did to see if anyone grimaces at seeing a Mac coming in)

Most folks that really really feel the need are total geeks that can support it themselves and probably set it up in the first week already and have it going just fine. so who cares about Apple. Heck you don't need Boot Camp to do the install at all. I've done it just fine without it. its a few more steps but it worked.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    Quote:

Not supported does not mean it?s not possible, obviously. The article should have mentioned that it?s easy to run Win7 natively on a Mac.

Doesn't work with the latest 27" imacs unfortunately
  • Reply 54 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the_snitch View Post

Doesn't work with the latest 27" imacs unfortunately

I'm running it without issue on a 27" iMac. What problem are you having?
  • Reply 55 of 76
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I run Windows 7 Pro just fine in VirtualBox on my MBP. I only use it to run the occasional Windows app that doesn't have an OS X counterpart and to remote into my Windows Home Server box directly.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

If Apple developers see it the way I do, I can understand why they haven't already fully supported Windows 7. Because as a Mac user if I were going to install a Windows OS on my Macs it would still be Windows XP. I haven't used a newer Windows OS since...

I'm an 'apple developer' and a 'windows developer' and I disagree. Win7 is a helluva lot more 'mac like' than XP is.

You might like living in the past.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I run Windows 7 Pro just fine in VirtualBox on my MBP. I only use it to run the occasional Windows app that doesn't have an OS X counterpart and to remote into my Windows Home Server box directly.

Check out seamless mode...it's fantastic. Run host and client apps side by side without any of that host/client mouse b.s.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Did you know you can just install the MS Remote software directly in OS X and bypass at least the need for it under a virtual session? It's native, free, and fully functional.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Albebaubles View Post

Check out seamless mode...it's fantastic. Run host and client apps side by side without any of that host/client mouse b.s.

All of the biggies offer virtual or seamless modes This is nothing unique to VirtualBox.

I'm curious. What 'mouse/client b.s.' are you referring to? I've tried Parallels and Fusion. I don't recall either having any mouse issues.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

All of the biggies offer virtual or seamless modes This is nothing unique to VirtualBox.

I'm curious. What 'mouse/client b.s.' are you referring to? I've tried Parallels and Fusion. I don't recall either having any mouse issues.

Good to know about the seamless modes on the others...been a long time since I've used VPC.

Regarding the mouse b.s. I was referring to getting the mouse cursor in/out of the client window -- relinquishing control to the appropriate OS if you will.