Microsoft frets Google's Nexus One will suffer Zune's failure

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    junkiejunkie Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Google has already stated that they will offer other phones from other manufacturers in their e-store. This HTC phone is only the first.

Furthermore, Google has also made it clear that this is an HTC phone, not a Google branded phone. Let's also not forget that Google worked closely with Motorola and Verizon on the Droid; it was the first device to get Android 2.0 with its turn-by-turn navigation. This type of "favoritism" is going to happen with each new hardware / OS release.

Most people would consider this a Google device. Yes, HTC is identified as the maker but the Nexus brand is controlled by Google. It is a bit muddled but certainly Google marketing is behind the Nexus more than any previous device. While Google may offer devices from other makers in the future, nothing kept them from offering the Droid and the Eris and other Android phones there today.

Yeah, maybe Google did work with Verizon and Motorola on the Droid but typically one would expect the lifespan before a competing device is offered to be more than 2 months. It would not be an issue if it were simply a competitive device offered by HTC but this device is being heavily marketed by Google as their own offering. Google hosted the press conference. Free devices are being given to YouTube vloggers. There are links to the Nexus One all over Google's web properties. I mean you can't honestly say that Google is giving equal treatment to all devices on the Android platform can you?

Quote:

All Google is really attempting to do is remove the carrier from the equation and offer a direct to consumer experience. By law, mobile carriers must allow any compatible device to run on their networks. Google is providing the phone and will also bundle service plans just as Best Buy and any other retailer does. This will give Google a way to control the platform better. This is more similar to the Windows desktop market, than it is to Microsoft's mobile platforms market, in which they have an incentive to give an advantage towards its own branded hardware versus any licensed competitors.

I don't really see the comparison to Windows desktop. It would only be that way if MSFT was selling their own brand of PC. They have wisely stayed out of that market.

In this case its not really like anything that has come before. Android is an open system. Nexus is controlled by Google. Only certain devices will get Nexus treatment we can assume and they will need to follow Google guidelines to get that treatment. I am not saying there is anything wrong with this but its not really the open, hands off, approach that many people imagined with the OHA and Android. So something has changed here. They must be very motivated to do this. Carriers can do what they want with Android, makers can go and do their thing to Android, and now Google is seeking to pull it in another direction. Ok. They can do that. It might all work out. It might be kind of a mess. We'll see.

I think it is less about carriers, everyone's knee-jerk villain. than it is about keeping their own control over the platform. I really think Google went into all this so that they could have more control over the mobile device and drive mobile search to Google. They later realized that once Android is in the wild they have no way to dictate that, for example, Google's search box is on top. That decision is made by the maker or the carrier or whoever downstream makes the call. Google might actually have found itself having to pay Motorola for prominence on the platform it defined. Or worse, Bing might be there in some cases. So the Nexus brand is the way to fix this. If you want Google's Nexus stamp, to sell in the Google store and Google marketing behind you, you have to play by the way Google wants the Android device packaged. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that but it just seems like a bit of a mess. Maybe this was their strategy all along but it feels a lot more iterative than that. It will really depend on how much the partners are willing to play ball or get annoyed. It's just not the open happy sandbox everyone was sold.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    junkiejunkie Posts: 122member
    Funny at the bottom of this page is your answer. On mine you see this ad saying:

[CENTER]Google's Nexus One Phone[/CENTER]
  • Reply 43 of 76
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Depends on the point of view I guess. People do not really interact with Symbian, they interact with e.g. S60 (which is not open)... even the requirements for third party apps depend more on the GUI than on the underpinnings.

It's not a matter of point of view in the slightest. It's fact.

Historically, S60 has been licensed to Siemens, Sendo, Samsung and Sony Ericsson.

Right now, S60 has been rolled into Symbian and is open source. Here's the code if you don't believe me.

Prince's failure to name the biggest contributor to the graph is highly suspicious.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I'm in Australia I get this one:-

[CENTER]New Android Powered Phone

Grab the HTC Magic with bonus 8GB and a free Prepaid Internet Kit[/CENTER]

Vodafone must be getting desperate to offload this older "Google experience" phone, with Android 1.5, which is certainly not exactly "new".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkie View Post

Funny at the bottom of this page is your answer. On mine you see this ad saying:

[CENTER]Google's Nexus One Phone[/CENTER]

• Reply 45 of 76
    The Droid is still getting much more buzz than the Nexus One in my opinion. The Nexus One got a lot of intial attention from the technophile crowd for being THE supposed definitive Google phone, but I've yet to see any Nexus Ones making the rounds in public (still a bit early on this) or any big advertising after it's release from either Google or T-Mobile. While the early adoptees and techies were sure sales, the Nexus One hasn't really made a huge showing outside of the Internet blogging realm. The Droid, on the other hand, still gets plenty of tv ad time (especially during ratings grabbers like the NFL playoffs), both by Motorola and Verizon. I've even seen a Droid Does billboard around downtown. Droid adoption also seems to be very high locally as well.

Nexus One's biggest crutch is it's main provider. T-Mobile couldve used this opportunity to promote having the strongest and most advanced Droid platform phone to help gain some marketshare for themselves and Google's begrudging first in-house effort, but neither side is really budging. Verizon and Motorola both seem to be on the ball when it comes to PR with their current products.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

This isn't nearly the same thing...

Microsoft created a closed brand to compete with their licensed brand. Only a moron would stay with a company that would do something like that.

Google hasn't done this...they're just selling phones direct to customers. How does this alienate them from hardware manufacturers exactly?

Its thinking like that that nearly put Apple in the gutter.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Microsoft should concentrate on their own failing mobile product line rather than predicting the downfall of another, currently much more successful one.

FUD.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    Apple is probably hugging themselves over all this fragmentation and babble.

Can't wait to see what they have in store for the 27th.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    My friend's Zune turned into a brick when he tried to download an update from Microsoft. He sought Microsoft's customer service and somebody there told him he'd need to buy another Zune to rectify the problem. He didn't.

He then relied on his iPod touch. He loved it so much compared to his Zune, even when it was working, that he then upgraded to an iPhone and gave his touch to his wife.

As far as Microsoft's advice, sounds decent to me ... to never follow that company's lead. Google should probably heed it, but then I don't really care what Google does in the phone market anyway.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

The Zune HD isn't a bad product though, one of my friends is a die hard Apple fanboy, and she is in love with the Zune HD, and she has 2 iPod touches and an iPhone. It's got a great screen for movies and a slick interface, and she says it's much easier to use as an MP3 player than the iPod app for iPhone OS, She said if it had the Apps that are available for the iPhone, she'd choose it instead of an iPod Touch.

you made this up

its you not your girl friend who owns the whole zune collection dolls and all

admit it

i looked for a zune accessory once at the local the best buy

a hush came over the blue shirted workers

they quietly whispered me out of the store

i was only kidding i said as i hit daylight

you can't make this stuff up

on topic

for all of googles woes their nexus 1 2 3 will all be great hits and sell millions

apple just needs a blade runner to kill them off
  • Reply 51 of 76
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

My friend's Zune turned into a brick when he tried to download an update from Microsoft. He sought Microsoft's customer service and somebody there told him he'd need to buy another Zune to rectify the problem. He didn't.

He then relied on his iPod touch. He loved it so much compared to his Zune, even when it was working, that he then upgraded to an iPhone and gave his touch to his wife.

As far as Microsoft's advice, sounds decent to me ... to never follow that company's lead. Google should probably heed it, but then I don't really care what Google does in the phone market anyway.

did you say

<<<??<?< Microsoft's advice ,??>>>>>>>

sounds weird somehow

no ?
  • Reply 52 of 76
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Yes, that usually comes from owning 95% of desktop OS market...

Just because something is popular doesn't make it the best.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I don't think MS is "fretting" about it - they're HOPING for it. Who came up with this headline?

A guitar player turned journalist.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I was under the impression Microsoft issued a July 2010 cutoff for XP users for support.

I might be wrong, but I think it's July 2010 for all support for Windows 2000 (including security fixes). I believe Windows XP is sometime in 2012. So Microsoft still has quite a while left supporting the legacy OS (including Windows 2003 Server).
  • Reply 55 of 76
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymous guy View Post

The Droid is still getting much more buzz than the Nexus One in my opinion. The Nexus One got a lot of intial attention from the technophile crowd for being THE supposed definitive Google phone, but I've yet to see any Nexus Ones making the rounds in public (still a bit early on this) or any big advertising after it's release from either Google or T-Mobile. While the early adoptees and techies were sure sales, the Nexus One hasn't really made a huge showing outside of the Internet blogging realm. The Droid, on the other hand, still gets plenty of tv ad time (especially during ratings grabbers like the NFL playoffs), both by Motorola and Verizon. I've even seen a Droid Does billboard around downtown. Droid adoption also seems to be very high locally as well.

Nexus One's biggest crutch is it's main provider. T-Mobile couldve used this opportunity to promote having the strongest and most advanced Droid platform phone to help gain some marketshare for themselves and Google's begrudging first in-house effort, but neither side is really budging. Verizon and Motorola both seem to be on the ball when it comes to PR with their current products.

google is advertising it online

for now it's meant at the cool, hip i'll spend all my money on new toys crowd. the idiots who buy a $500 phone unseen and the only support is via email where they take 3 days to tell you that you're an idiot and to reboot your phone
  • Reply 56 of 76
    Boy the have got to be the most deluded people on the globe their at MS.

Not only do they fail and fail spectacularly, but they have absolutely no grasp on WHY they failed....

tstststst.....
  • Reply 57 of 76
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

I don't think MS is "fretting" about it - they're HOPING for it. Who came up with this headline?

I think "fretting" here is meant facetiously.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    neilmneilm Posts: 990member
    Quote:

My very thought also. But alas, to hope for even basic writing skills from AI is apparently a lost cause.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    I think that headline is perfectly relevant. Hoping for it would also be good, but that means they're secretly hoping for it to fail, which no one has any evidence of. So they can't REALLY put "hoping" into the headline. Otherwise it's pretty biased point of view that you're extrapolating from their comments. By converse, you're saying that Android will succeed? No one knows about that, so Microsoft may be right, it may not. Who knows.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I was under the impression Microsoft issued a July 2010 cutoff for XP users for support. Personally Windows 7 blows XP out the water so those who choose not to upgrade (probably because they are running ancient PCs) are just stupid not to do so, and even netbooks can run Windows 7 without choking out.

If only MS made a Zune phone...but id settle just for Zune on mac to begin with.

There is one key issue here that people overlook. "You get what you pay for!" What people dont seem to understand about the difference between Apple and every other technology company is that when Apple releases a product, it is a finished product, not a work in progress like Google and more specifically Microsoft. There are already 10+ Android based phones out there for sale, all different from different manufacturers. This means that each user interface will be different, meaning you cant go from one to another and it be the same. This is why private 3rd party apps are such a bad idea. When an app is released to the Apple store, it works, its as simple as that. And every interface in every app works exactly the same. There is no searching around in the app for 10 minutes to figure out how to do something. When you buy an Apple product, you are buying a high quality, finished product. Why do you think Microsoft had to release Windows 7, because Vista was an absolute failire, and O, if you havent noticed, Windows 7 steals most of its nice features from Mac OS X. When will people learn that not everyone likes to continously update their electronic devices every three months just because Google or Microsoft realize the failure they produced and try to address it with a new device. Lastly, that is why there is only one iPhone in the last year, and 10+ droid phones, and they still cant match the iPhone. As for Windows 7, who wants to transfer all of their data to a hard drive, delete everything, install windows 7 in the hopes that it actually isnt a failure, after spending hundreds of dollars for it, and then install it on a new computer. I was a die hard windows pc fan until I heard about windows 7 requiring this crap. I went to the Mac store and purchased a MBP, and since then, I look back, upset with myself, that I didnt do it sooner. I will never go back to Microsoft for anything ever again. Consistant sub-standard products which need constant update, and yet they still crash and are unreliable. C'mon guys, be realistic.