Microsoft frets Google's Nexus One will suffer Zune's failure

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgtjasonwalter View Post

There is one key issue here that people overlook. "You get what you pay for!" What people dont seem to understand about the difference between Apple and every other technology company is that when Apple releases a product, it is a finished product, not a work in progress like Google and more specifically Microsoft. There are already 10+ Android based phones out there for sale, all different from different manufacturers. This means that each user interface will be different, meaning you cant go from one to another and it be the same. This is why private 3rd party apps are such a bad idea. When an app is released to the Apple store, it works, its as simple as that. And every interface in every app works exactly the same. There is no searching around in the app for 10 minutes to figure out how to do something. When you buy an Apple product, you are buying a high quality, finished product. Why do you think Microsoft had to release Windows 7, because Vista was an absolute failire, and O, if you havent noticed, Windows 7 steals most of its nice features from Mac OS X. When will people learn that not everyone likes to continously update their electronic devices every three months just because Google or Microsoft realize the failure they produced and try to address it with a new device. Lastly, that is why there is only one iPhone in the last year, and 10+ droid phones, and they still cant match the iPhone. C'mon guys, be realistic.

Microsoft has been on a 3 year OS release cycle since the 1990's. you get a new release followed by a maintenance release. only exception was no maintenance release for NT4.

Win95/98

Win 2000/XP-server 2003

Vista/7

Server 2008/2008 R2 aka Windows 2010

Windows 8 is going to be another new release. Technically Win7 was a mainteance release but so much changed between Vista and Vista SP2/7 it's almost like an entire new OS.
  • Reply 62 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Removing features and adding their own crap on them, ruining the overall experience.

Can you provide a list of features removed by any manufacture?
  • Reply 63 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rkhosa View Post

The chain is incomplete without a carrier. They are irreplacable. The customer won't buy a fancy gadget for posterity's sake

The chain is going to change. Carriers ARE replaceable. In Europe you can buy any phone and buy a contract from 3-4 carriers. Or you can even use prepaid SIM with your phone.
  • Reply 64 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Apple is probably hugging themselves over all this fragmentation and babble.

Can't wait to see what they have in store for the 27th.

Android already has posibility to develop ant test applications on different screen resolutions. I'd like to see how the applications developed for iPhone/iPod screen resolution and hardware will behave on the Applet Tablet. It's gonna be funny
  • Reply 65 of 76
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

Android already has posibility to develop ant test applications on different screen resolutions. I'd like to see how the applications developed for iPhone/iPod screen resolution and hardware will behave on the Applet Tablet. It's gonna be funny

So you've seen the Apple tablet and been privy to what OS it's running and seen the plan to simply throw iPhone apps on there, unmodified?

Well no wonder you're amused! Also, the little birds flying around? Funny!
  • Reply 66 of 76
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

I think that headline is perfectly relevant. Hoping for it would also be good, but that means they're secretly hoping for it to fail, which no one has any evidence of. So they can't REALLY put "hoping" into the headline. Otherwise it's pretty biased point of view that you're extrapolating from their comments. By converse, you're saying that Android will succeed? No one knows about that, so Microsoft may be right, it may not. Who knows.

Right, it's referencing what has come to be known as "concern trolling", where someone who obviously holds you no good will starts wringing their hands in public that you might do this or that and how awful would that be? It's a way of trying to simultaneously come off "reasonable and compassionate" while entering negative perceptions into the discourse. Typically used in politics.

Given all that, the headline is actually fairly witty.
  • Reply 67 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! HA!

Ahem...

Microsoft is quickly going down the path of irrelevancy.

Nah, Steve Ballmer has made this the case. He needs to be forced onto the path of replacement.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

A guitar player turned journalist.

Hmmm..... I thought that Mr. Glyph only faked his guitar-playing? Has anyone heard him actually play a real note?
  • Reply 69 of 76
    Well done article, but the left side of the chart should incorporate another thing: Sun solaris which clearly belongs to the blue (integrated) category as well. At least for our company and for our customers the left side would contain less or even no licensed (Windows) percentage and instead state another highly integrated platform in form of Sun solaris (hardware and operating software of one vendor).
  • Reply 70 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I'm talking about the carrier getting their hands on the device and OS and modifying it. Removing features and adding their own crap on them, ruining the overall experience. This is what is killing Android as a platform.

Google is taking hardware direct from the manufacturer, putting their OS on it, then selling it direct to the customer. This allows Google to control the experience.

The carrier only comes in to play when a plan is needed/included.

Since when did carriers modify the OS? and since when did Google start retailing cellphones?

and the cycle still remains the same. Btw, where do you think the customers get the nexus from?
  • Reply 71 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Just because something is popular doesn't make it the best.

And who cares about desktops in this forum
  • Reply 72 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

The chain is going to change. Carriers ARE replaceable. In Europe you can buy any phone and buy a contract from 3-4 carriers. Or you can even use prepaid SIM with your phone.

By definition, contract means exclusivity and then you can't consider more than a single carrier.

Heck yeah, prepaid was never new. But you still need a carrier. A plain gadget won't fetch you any service. But there are some dummies who assume that.
  • Reply 73 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I never understand when people say things like that. Perhaps you can go ask your friend what it is that makes the Zune HD "much easier to use" as an MP3 player than a Touch?

Cause it appears to me that on a Touch you tap the music app icon and go straight to a list of music, sortable by artist, album, or song, with options for playlists or the genius function. The album view use horizontal cover flow with album art.

On the Zune you tap "Music" in a text list and go to a music app that lets you sort by artist, album or song. The album view is a scrolling vertical list with album art.

I'm having trouble seeing how much easier either one could be.

I could probably offer an example. The ZHD offers those big squares with a letter or number in it to snap to songs starting with that letter. The iPod function has that column of letters on the right side of the screen.

While technically, they have the same function, I can tap and activate the boxes on my ZHD with more success than the tiny letters on my roommate's iPod app. I tap that box, it goes to the alphabet matrix pretty much all the time. Whereas I can't guarantee I'm hitting the right letter on the iPod (I have big fingers). Sometimes I get the letter I want, sometimes I get the letter above or below the one I want.

And the "scroll-to-letter-and-release" is also hit or miss too, since it depends on how I lift my finger off the screen. It'll be on the letter I want but as soon as I lift, that action causes the screen to mistake that I moved it up or down and it'll snap to the letter above or below the one I had centered. Especially if I did it really quick.

When I'm driving in my car, I find the ZHD's method of selecting songs to be a lot better, since I guaranteed to get to the letter I want every time and reduces the amount of time my eyes aren't on the road.

So, as you can see, there is a bit of subjectivity to what makes something "easier" than another item. You can't just look at something at the purely technical level and just say that since they're the same, everyone will find both items equally easy to use.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I just type letters into the search field at the top of the list.

Much faster, especially when you have a few hundred songs starting with each letter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I could probably offer an example. The ZHD offers those big squares with a letter or number in it to snap to songs starting with that letter. The iPod function has that column of letters on the right side of the screen.

While technically, they have the same function, I can tap and activate the boxes on my ZHD with more success than the tiny letters on my roommate's iPod app. I tap that box, it goes to the alphabet matrix pretty much all the time. Whereas I can't guarantee I'm hitting the right letter on the iPod (I have big fingers). Sometimes I get the letter I want, sometimes I get the letter above or below the one I want.

And the "scroll-to-letter-and-release" is also hit or miss too, since it depends on how I lift my finger off the screen. It'll be on the letter I want but as soon as I lift, that action causes the screen to mistake that I moved it up or down and it'll snap to the letter above or below the one I had centered. Especially if I did it really quick.

When I'm driving in my car, I find the ZHD's method of selecting songs to be a lot better, since I guaranteed to get to the letter I want every time and reduces the amount of time my eyes aren't on the road.

So, as you can see, there is a bit of subjectivity to what makes something "easier" than another item. You can't just look at something at the purely technical level and just say that since they're the same, everyone will find both items equally easy to use.

• Reply 75 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I just type letters into the search field at the top of the list.

Much faster, especially when you have a few hundred songs starting with each letter.

I do that in iTunes but have never done that in the iPod app. I suppose psychologically you tend to stick with a way of doing something.
  • Reply 76 of 76
    i hope someday Google will release Google mp3 player or Google DAP (digital audio player)

beat ipod and zune domination!