Intel promotion allegedly reveals Core i5-based MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyrnight View Post

I sure as HELL dont want a Intel GPU in my Macbook Pro!

I know that they can still do the Intel chipset with a Nvidia GPU, but can they do the SLI (9400 + 9600) like the current Generation?

But Intel IGPs are useful for conserving battery life and higher end MBPs all come with discrete GPUs (so no need for a powerful IGP). Hopefully, the motherboard space saved by Arrandale will allow Apple to add a discrete GPU to lower end MBPs.

Arrandale's IGPs also support hybrid SLI and crossfire, if only Apple would add proper support for dynamic and automatic switching between the IGP and the discrete GPU.
  • Reply 22 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Imagine booting off the SDXC card FASTER than a 7,200 RPM hard drive! Yep, it's that fast.

Probably faster than this huh? http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/in...product_id=190

Yeah notebook computers are just monsters when it comes to SATA bandwidth...
  • Reply 23 of 108
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    I can sense it now. Steve Jobs will begin the keynote with "So today we're going to talk about portables" and he will talk about how sales are up, etc. Then he will announce the new MacBookPro and announce they are dropping the MacBook. Then when we think all is over, he will say....oh...and one more thing.... .....and announce the iSlate and everyone will go
  • Reply 24 of 108
    dell already have i7 in the studio 15" so I think the MBP could be i7 too.
  • Reply 25 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

I'm hitting the snooze button on this one...

Yep, me too.
  • Reply 26 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

Maybe they will have a high end Macbook Pro bto with a core i7, they did it with the iMac.
  • Reply 27 of 108
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by someone00 View Post

There is enough space in the iMac for a spring-loaded SD card slot, but definitely not in the 13in MBP and possibly even the 15in MBP.

In the current machines sure, but Apple designs the machines and can allocate the space, which is only a tiny amount actually.

Quote:

As for SDXC compatibility, memory card makers have been slow in introducing these card due to the end of the digital camera megapixel race.http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...pixel-race.ars

I'll check out the link, thanks. But SDXC is designed for video, due to it's speed and large storage capacity.

Quote:

I believe both RAM modules and HDDs are use removable in the current generation of MBP, although the procedures were slightly simpler in MBPs with removable batteries.

No Apple closed up the machines with the new battery. Of course you can open it, just voids your warranty.
  • Reply 28 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I can sense it now. Steve Jobs will begin the keynote with "So today we're going to talk about portables" and he will talk about how sales are up, etc. Then he will announce the new MacBookPro and announce they are dropping the MacBook. Then when we think all is over, he will say....oh...and one more thing.... .....and announce the iSlate and everyone will go

Sounds like that's the plan.

And then the shock comes as the crowd realizes that Apple is showing the current OS X UI the door as the new iPhone/ISlate OS will become the norm. Bootcamp and Windows will be installed on millions of Mac's within a month...

*shudders at the thought*
  • Reply 29 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newrigel View Post

Probably faster than this huh? http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/in...product_id=190

Yeah notebook computers are just monsters when it comes to SATA bandwidth...

Get real, very few people are going to tote around a RAID 0 set of SSD's with their notebook.

Also even if Apple put something like that in their laptops, there is a hardware risk with RAID 0, one SSD goes down you lose all data.

SDXC with up to 2TB and the higher speed of current hard drives would make a great alternate boot method, Time Machine drive or bootable clone in MacBook Pro's.

I do suspect Apple will have duo, SSD and hard drive options in the new MacBook Pro's.
  • Reply 30 of 108
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

As for SDXC compatibility, memory card makers have been slow in introducing these card due to the end of the digital camera megapixel race.http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...pixel-race.ars

Indeed, I just bought a new Canon T1i and only got a 20MB/s SDHC card instead of the 30MB/s available because the faster ones cost almost twice as much and the camera doesn't need it. I can already take 9+ 15.1Mp RAW shots in rapid succession (2-3 a second) or record in HD video straight to the card. And 15.1Mp pushes the limit of physics for an APS-C sensor size.

Unless you get cheaper full-frame sensors in mid-range cameras and push up the sensor size in the smaller cameras, more megapixels just means more grainy noise and image size with zero increase in quality.
  • Reply 31 of 108
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Get real, very few people are going to tote around a RAID 0 set of SSD's with their notebook.

Also even if Apple put something like that in their laptops, there is a hardware risk with RAID 0, one SSD goes down you lose all data.

SDXC with up to 2TB and the higher speed of current hard drives would make a great alternate boot method, Time Machine drive or bootable clone in MacBook Pro's.

I do suspect Apple will have duo, SSD and hard drive options in the new MacBook Pro's.

2TB SDXC cards wont be hitting the market for quite sometime. The best you can get in the near term is 64 GB. By the time they hit their theoretical max of 2 TB, we will be talking about the next iteration of SD cards. SDXC support should be there though, since that is what the new cards are going to be.
  • Reply 32 of 108
    If I got everything I wanted in the macbook pro refresh, it would include:
    1. Matte display option for the 13" macbook pro

2. The new Intel CPU's.

3. A gentler edge on the palm rest.

4. Discrete graphics on the 13" macbook pro

These are ordered by importance to me. That's about it. They are really very cool machines and I can't wait to get into OSX. My current laptop, a thinkpad, has 2 major problems: Windows and battery life....
  • Reply 33 of 108
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:

There is enough space in the iMac for a spring-loaded SD card slot, but definitely not in the 13in MBP and possibly even the 15in MBP.

Although that's something of a moving target. As chipsets become more integrated, additional space would at least potentially open up.
  • Reply 34 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Although that's something of a moving target. As chipsets become more integrated, additional space would at least potentially open up.

I would prefer if Apple would use the additional space freed for a discrete GPU/stream processor, instead of an improved SD slot.
  • Reply 35 of 108
    Quote:

No Apple closed up the machines with the new battery. Of course you can open it, just voids your warranty.

Are you sure about that? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270 http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3419

In fact, at the end of the second knowledge base article, Apple mentioned this:

Quote:

You can also find the steps you need to perform to install your hard drive on Page 37 of your MacBook Pro User Guide. For information about installing Mac OS X and bundled applications, see "Reinstalling the Software That Came with Your MacBook Pro" on page 62.

• Reply 36 of 108
    Quote:

1: A SD slot that keeps the SD card flush mounted, with spring release. So one can keep it in there and not have it snap off or ruined like with the present exposed slots.

4: Hard drive and RAM user removable.

5: Water-resistant keyboards for crying out loud!

Completely agree on 1. I can't believe that design would have got through when SJ was on watch - it just needs to be how the PCMCIA slot was in the TiBooks. I keep meaning to dig out an old 512MB RS-MMC I've got but I suspect it'll be far to slow and small to be of much use.

4. They are user removable -it's described in the manual. Admittedly not as easy as it was on earlier models but still a vast improvement on trying to change the HDD on a clamshell iBook! :-) Given that you're not likely to do it more than twice in a laptop's life it's not a big issue imho.

5. indeed. In other areas of electronics I carry on my person waterproofing/dustproofing is a key selling point for me. Watches, cameras etc. I wish Apple would make progress in this area. I want to use my gear when I need to not only when the weather/circumstances dictate.
  • Reply 37 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Especially with 7M MacBooks selling in 2009 I'm sure they'll want to major on this.

I don't see the MacBook being dropped just yet though. Are we at a point where consumers, prosumers and professions have broadly the same laptop yet? The MacBook will likely become more something schools buy and then later it'll be quietly dropped.
  • Reply 38 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smeagol View Post

Maybe they will have a high end Macbook Pro bto with a core i7, they did it with the iMac.

That was my first thought as well.
  • Reply 39 of 108
    As for "One more thing."

Please, please, please fix the horrid interface to the 30" Cinema Display via the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adaptor. I have yet to find one person who has not had a horror story about trying to keep the current line up of the MBP unibody series properly connected to the 30" Cinema Display without noise, distortion or other weirdness occurring on a regular basis. As I already own two of these displays (one at my office, one at my home), I am stuck in upgrade limbo with my trusty early 2006 MBP 17 C2D until this is resolved.

If anyone knows of a workaround or fix, I am all ears!
  • Reply 40 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

I don't think any of the existing i7 dell notebooks are arrandale. I think they're all still clarksfield.

I will be really disappointed if there isn't a version of the mbp 15 with an i7 arrandale.