Intel promotion allegedly reveals Core i5-based MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 61 of 108
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Why should we expect Apple to use Core-i5s over Core-i7s in the premium part of their notebooks? There are 5 Core-i7s that seem to be a perfect fit for the most of the 15” MBP and all the 17” MBP configurations. The big question is, will Apple use the 25W TDP Core-i7s in the MBPs. They are more expensive and have a higher Turbo, but a low base speed and use a different socket.
    I doubt they’ll go with a LV Core-i7, but that is the one I’d choose if I can get a 10 hour plus battery.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

I certainly hope they don't drop the MBA; it's been my dream machine, but is too slow and short on ram; give me a 15" MBA with 4 Gb of ram and a 256 SSD and I'm a happy bunny

There is no evidence they are dropping it. It seems very successful for its market. I suspect you’ll get the 4GB and Core-i7 ULV with Turbo speeds of 2.13Ghz ($278) to 2.26Ghz ($305). Not much of a bump in core speed, but the new architecture should offer a little more performance for the price while allowing for a noticeably improved battery time, which is where the MBA really fails compared to other Mac notebooks.
    The drive space is a 5mm 1.8” so the best we can hope for right now is a 160GB Intel SSD. Now that Intel’s SSDs are “green” I hope that Apple uses them since they do offer improved benefits over other vendors.
  • Reply 62 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why should we expect Apple to use Core-i5s over Core-i7s in the premium part of their notebooks? There are 5 Core-i7s that seem to be a perfect fit for the most of the 15? MBP and all the 17? MBP configurations. The big question is, will Apple use the 25W TDP Core-i7s in the MBPs. They are more expensive and have a higher Turbo, but a low base speed and use a different socket.
    I doubt they?ll go with a LV Core-i7, but that is the one I?d choose if I can get a 10 hour plus battery.

There is no evidence they are dropping it. It seems very successful for its market. I suspect you?ll get the 4GB and Core-i7 ULV with Turbo speeds of 2.13Ghz ($278) to 2.26Ghz ($305). Not much of a bump in core speed, but the new architecture should offer a little more performance for the price while allowing for a noticeably improved battery time, which is where the MBA really fails compared to other Mac notebooks.
    The drive space is a 5mm 1.8? so the best we can hope for right now is a 160GB Intel SSD. Now that Intel?s SSDs are ?green? I hope that Apple uses them since they do offer improved benefits over other vendors.

no rumours about a 15" MBA?
  • Reply 63 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

no rumours about a 15" MBA?

Not that I?ve heard. Would like to see a 15? MBA or MBP with no optical drive and 2.5? drive, but not so thin as to lose the option for a 500GB 7200RPM HDD.
  • Reply 64 of 108
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

How would it cost for a USB flash drive over the cost of the Blu-ray drive plus the cost of comparable capacity? That doesn’t include burn issues, power usage or read/write speeds, for which NAND easily wins. The only real benefit to optical media is inherent EMP protection, but I dont’ know of many consumers caring about that.

Nand is a loser for medium and long term storage right now. One reason why we get image recovery programs for our camera flash is because they lose the data too easily. Yes, some people are idiots, and format their flash before they get their images off, but that's different . I've had it corrupt a couple of times, and needed to recover it. Every pro I know gets the files off their flash cards as quickly as possible, first going to the HDD, then often that very evening, to DVD, usually two. Now, more are using BR. I do the same thing.

Why going to BR? Because it's easy to do 2,000 or more images a day when on a shoot, and those image files are getting larger as time goes by. 20 to 45 MP images are common. The files are even bigger, particularly for medium format where 22 MP is now small, and almost everyone shoot 16 bit (per channel) files.

I was in my friends studio a few weeks ago where he was shooting bridal gowns for one of his clients. There were 15 gowns, and between 200 and 250 shots for each gown. Don't argue about the number of shots, because it's typical, and some other guys I know shoot even more.

People are making a mistake thinking that flash sticks are like SSD's. They are not. SSD's use a much more expensive flash, whether MLC or SLC. There is a new SSD controller that just came out that will allow (they say, it hasn't been independently tested as yet, Anand is waiting for samples of the drives) cheaper flash, closer in quality to SD card and sticks to be used. But it will require much more flash on the drives for backup of dead memory than current drives have, as much as 33%.

While I'm sure that eventually flash will be great for medium or long term backups, it isn't currently, and if people are doing that now, they will be unpleasantly surprised at some point in the future.
  • Reply 65 of 108
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakboy View Post

I generally order from Newegg, but I've been a customoer of OWC many times over the years. Generally, i like OWC. They benchmark apple products and Larry the owner has been known to respond to emails. There is something nice about an outfit that does that.

Not to mention the fact that in the days of g4 upgrades, they were really pushing people to make them.

On the topic of price - I'd imagine that Newegg gets really good pricing from wholesale b/c of the massive volume they ship.

I've been doing this a long time. I've bought from OWC since they first opened up.

But they simply charge too much for commodity items. Last year, I bought two 1TB Caviar Black drives from them, at their reduced price of $165 ea, only to find them at Newegg for $139.

I really don't care for the excuse, but the truth is that their service is no better than Neweggs.

In fact, I had bought a Powerlogix board from them a few years ago. I had spoken to them several times about it before I bought it, because I was waiting for certain cpu's. When I bought it, there were severe heat problems. I had to leave the door of the machine open a few inches so that it wouldn't constantly shut off on me.

I found out from Mike at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ when he did a review of that board ($949) that the first test boards had a heatsink design that didn't work, but that those boards didn't make it to retail. When I contacted him, it turned out that they did, at least for me.

OWC owned Powerlogix, so they can't say it was out of their control. When I asked for a replacement, they wanted me to send my board back first, put my old board back in, and THEN, when they got the board back, they would send a new board to me. Time - two weeks!

I said no, and that I didn't want to change the boards too many times, as those sockets weren't made for more than a couple of removals and insertions, and that two weeks was too much.

Only when I contacted Mike, and he spoke to them for me did they relent.

I know of more than a few people with problems like that with other products.

I know a couple of pro photographers who have web sites who swear by OWC, but then, they mention them, and get special service, don't they?
  • Reply 66 of 108
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyrnight View Post

I sure as HELL dont want a Intel GPU in my Macbook Pro!

I know that they can still do the Intel chipset with a Nvidia GPU, but can they do the SLI (9400 + 9600) like the current Generation?

The recently announced Nvidia Optimus may be the solution although they mention next month:

http://gizmodo.com/5440620/nvidia-op...w-macbook-guts

I'd say this promo leak is pretty bad of Intel. Although we pretty much suspected it already, this pins down the models and release dates pretty closely.

I'd quite like to see refreshed Minis too with Core i5 + a better GPU.
  • Reply 67 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EvilMole View Post

Won't happen. Why? Because putting in spring loading increases the failure rate - the more moving, mechanical parts you have the more things will get stuck, go wrong, etc. Apple's entire design ethos is to remove as many moving parts as possible, to reduce failure rate (and thus its own support costs).

Even a 0.1% additional failure rate costs Apple money in terms of warranty fixes, so it's not going to happen.

Well not to sound snarky but Dell has mastered this in the Mini9 and it is a simple, compact and useful little device that is dead nuts reliable. If they can do it so can Apple.
  • Reply 68 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Well not to sound snarky but Dell has mastered this in the Mini9 and it is a simple, compact and useful little device that is dead nuts reliable. If they can do it so can Apple.

The ability to do something does translate into the desire or need to do something. Apple could make a $300 PC tower using AMD or Celeron chips that use PVC and other harmful materials if they wanted, but I wouldn?t expect them too.
  • Reply 69 of 108
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I agree. This is what Steve refers to when he says Blue Ray is nothing but a bag of hurt. Consumers get very little in terms of added utility, but pay a lot in terms of actual cost and DRM related baggage. As soon as Apple incorporates Blue Ray, the OS will take a significant performance hit due to the system wide DRM that Blue Ray licensees are required to implement. No thanks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

No BlueRay, it's very twitchy, I'm on my second BlueRay machine already.

The BR-DVD's are extremely sensitive, develop unseen cracks and then refuse to play. Most likely has to do with the fine detail required on the disks and the laser mechanics etc. giving it little room for error, can't handle temperature changes, user stress etc.

Also there is DRM baggage associated with BlueRay that is twitchy as well, Sony could just brick the BlueRay drive if the DRM is broken. A lawsuit against Sony is in the works for PS3's BlueRays were bricked over a update, it's suspected the DRM was broken or machines id codes or something was stolen, so to protect the content, PS3's were bricked.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Macbook Pro's have a separate powered Superdrive as a paid option, figuring people would rather use the SD slot instead.

But Apple has to increase the higher access speed to the SD slot for the new SDXC cards coming.

Imagine booting off the SDXC card FASTER than a 7,200 RPM hard drive! Yep, it's that fast.

• Reply 70 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I agree. This is what Steve refers to when he says Blue Ray is nothing but a bag of hurt. Consumers get very little in terms of added utility, but pay a lot in terms of actual cost and DRM related baggage. As soon as Apple incorporates Blue Ray, the OS will take a significant performance hit due to the system wide DRM that Blue Ray licensees are required to implement. No thanks.

I agree with the first part about little to no gain for the average consumer while costing a bundle to get it, but I don?t see how adding AACS to the OS adds a performance hit. Does FairPlay in iTunes and QuickTime weaken those apps when I play and MP3 or AVI? Would love some detail on exactly why the system takes a hit.
  • Reply 71 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The recently announced Nvidia Optimus may be the solution although they mention next month:

http://gizmodo.com/5440620/nvidia-op...w-macbook-guts

I'd say this promo leak is pretty bad of Intel. Although we pretty much suspected it already, this pins down the models and release dates pretty closely.

I'd quite like to see refreshed Minis too with Core i5 + a better GPU.

I figure they?ll do that.

Won?t we be able to use the IGP and GPU in tandem, and be able to turn the GPU on and off without a restart?
  • Reply 72 of 108
    Quote:

The ability to do something does translate into the desire or need to do something. Apple could make a $300 PC tower using AMD or Celeron chips that use PVC and other harmful materials if they wanted, but I wouldn?t expect them too.

Bit of a strawman argument there as I did not suggest that they do that. I am sure Apple could build a better iDildo but have not suggested they should. All I said was that if Dell can make a dead nuts reliable card reader that keeps the entire card inside the computer then i think Apple could as well. I actually believe Apple picked the current style on purpose because there is room for an internal module.
  • Reply 73 of 108
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    "The Arrandale mobile processors employ a 32nm Westmere core paired with a 45nm chipset. The new 35nm chips offer improved speed"

anyone want to fix that?
  • Reply 74 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

"Huge mistake" -- I wouldn't go that far. Everyone knows that MacBook Pros will be getting a Core i3/i5 refresh. So what if it leaked.

It's not as though someone leaked specs/images of the Tablet -- that would be a "huge mistake"

Right. The big question is what GPU will they use? Will all MacBook Pros have a discrete GPU chip?
  • Reply 75 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Bit of a strawman argument there as I did not suggest that they do that. I am sure Apple could build a better iDildo but have not suggested they should. All I said was that if Dell can make a dead nuts reliable card reader that keeps the entire card inside the computer then i think Apple could as well. I actually believe Apple picked the current style on purpose because there is room for an internal module.

I think the straw man started when you suggested that Apple should because Dell does.

Perhaps we should ask: Why Apple choose to include an SD card reader so long after it became standard in other machines? Why they swapped the EC/34 in the 15? MBP for an SD Card slot? Why they made such a fuss to add it to the 13? MBP by removing the mic, putting the Kensington lock on the other side and pushing all the ports to the back in order to add it? You look at the 13? MBP teardown and there isn?t any room for it to go completely inside that machine. Do people really walk around with SD cards in their machine? What?s the point of that? I?ve never walked around with a CD or DVD in my notebook and I unplug USB cables before putting them into my bag.

Frankly, I couldn?t care less how deep the card goes, just curious as to the reason for the odd addition and why it?s now such an important feature that has to go in all the way or risk losing sales.
  • Reply 76 of 108
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

As for "One more thing."

Please, please, please fix the horrid interface to the 30" Cinema Display via the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adaptor. I have yet to find one person who has not had a horror story about trying to keep the current line up of the MBP unibody series properly connected to the 30" Cinema Display without noise, distortion or other weirdness occurring on a regular basis. As I already own two of these displays (one at my office, one at my home), I am stuck in upgrade limbo with my trusty early 2006 MBP 17 C2D until this is resolved.

If anyone knows of a workaround or fix, I am all ears!

What a nice problem. I don't know anyone who has a 30" Cinema Display.
  • Reply 77 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

What a nice problem. I don't know anyone who has a 30" Cinema Display.

I know a few, thought they all have Mac Pros with the DL-DVi so they aren?t experiencing the problem Justflybob mentioned. Unfortunately for those with older ACDs, I think Apple is likely to release new ACDs with mDP connectors before they fix the issues with their current Macs not pushing out the DL-DVI singling properly. \
  • Reply 78 of 108
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    I keep waiting for a new post like, "Steve Jobs confirms leak with "Oh shit- fine you win- we will be refreshing the macbook pros at some point" email.
  • Reply 79 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anthracite View Post

How about USB 3?

How about FW3200?
  • Reply 80 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

"The Arrandale mobile processors employ a 32nm Westmere core paired with a 45nm chipset. The new 35nm chips offer improved speed"

anyone want to fix that?

Anyone? Beuller?