ARM-powered Apple tablet called 'iPhone on steroids'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Same here

I'm hoping for some multi-tasking goodness, I already carry my charger everyday to work so why not
  • Reply 22 of 155
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smeagol View Post

It better be a dual A9, then again I am hesitant to by rev A product from Apple due to being burnt numerous times in the past

Apple does not release products unless/until they are perfect in every way.

You must be mistaken.
  • Reply 23 of 155
    Dual A9 processor + video conferencing + multi-tasking + solid input system + new tablet OS = Instant purchase
  • Reply 24 of 155
    I'm not gonna believe it until I see elevator photos ...
  • Reply 25 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Too bad the regular iPhone can't use steroids to make reliable phone calls and get good data speeds in some markets.

good thing you don't have to worry about that in houston
  • Reply 26 of 155
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Dual A9 processor + video conferencing + multi-tasking + solid input system + new tablet OS = Instant purchase

Definitely think that dual-core ARM products and iPhone OS 4 will herald the introduction of multitasking APIs, both for tablet use and iPhone use.

The latter would present background capability with a UI functionality akin to the iPod UI when it is running in the background.

The former would allow apps to run in full UI mode at the same time, like standard desktop operating systems. Expect a bigger window border / drag-tab, resizeability, etc. Or maybe they'll be full-screen, and the tablet will have a means to swap running applications. It will be interesting to see what Apple does bring to the table later this month.

I also expect iPhone OS 4 to herald the emergence of widgets, because I don't expect the iSlate to use the iPhone springboard to launch applications, but to have a more workspacey type UI where you can drop widgets and application icons as you wish. These might be iSlate only, but Android has shown that it's nice to have widgets on your phone, so they might be available there as well.
  • Reply 27 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Using the Iphone OS would be very disappointing and limit the usefulness of the device. I would much prefer a touch version of snow leopard with an Iphone emulator.

OH NO!!!

Then you could run what software you liked, instead of what Apple tells you you can run.

And Apple can't make a cut of the proceeds neither with your suggestion!

OH we can't have that, no frigging way!!!
  • Reply 28 of 155
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

It better be a dual A9, then again I am hesitant to by rev A product from Apple due to being burnt numerous times in the past

Given the PA Semi team acquisition and the particular license Apple has for Imagination Technologies, it's extremely, extremely likely that whatever ARM chips they are using are going to be customised. Thus there won't really be any direct comparison of their chip to A8 or A9. They are also rumoured to be going multi-core, which would make it even harder to compare.

So IMO it seems kind of silly to care about A8 versus A9 in that scenario. Apple will focus on the performance and forget about whatever numbers are on the side of the chips. Only if they use unmodified chips will it really matter.
  • Reply 29 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Apple does not release products unless/until they are perfect in every way.

You must be mistaken.

Well they're mostly perfect, my problems stem from build quality. For example

1) First AL powerbooks had screen deficiencies in the form of white spots which Apple has acknowledged. Got a new screen for free thank goodness.

2) First nano material was very prone to scratches, which Apple acknowledged by settling a class action lawsuit and the inclusion of little black pouches with shipping models.

3) Though solidly build, the $200 price drop of the first iPhone a couple months after release was very unexpected and uncharacteristic of Apple leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. And that's just what I personally experienced.

Plus we all heard about the Macbook Air's hinge problem, and the 27" iMac's screen issues. I must admit they ususally solve these issues by rev B, which is probably when I will consider picking up a tablet, if it even exists
  • Reply 30 of 155
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

OH NO!!!

Then you could run what software you liked, instead of what Apple tells you you can run.

And Apple can't make a cut of the proceeds neither with your suggestion!

OH we can't have that, no frigging way!!!

How many times have cursor based operating systems been ported to a tablet? How many of those tablets have enjoyed wild success?

I'd rather have apps that work properly and are easy to use on a tablet than ones that make me want to pull my hair out after a while. Even if that means I am locked into the App Store.
  • Reply 31 of 155
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Using the Iphone OS would be very disappointing and limit the usefulness of the device. I would much prefer a touch version of snow leopard with an Iphone emulator.

First off either you can't read for content or simple don't understand the words, but the article specifically said the unit had the "iPhone Kernel". That leaves a huge amount of room for a different user interface.

Second this is an ARM based device. As such it would be foolish to in anyway associate it with the i86 world. It would confuse customers and lead to frustration.

Third how does iPhone OS limit the usefulness of an item that gas never been on the market before? For the average consummer iPhone and app store have been a big win.

In any event please wait until the device debuts before condemning it!!!!

Dave
  • Reply 32 of 155
    iRoid!! Better than iSlate i guess.
  • Reply 33 of 155
    Again, I have no idea why almost everyone presumes that the Tablet will sport iPhone software? I would love someone to bet for a watered down (but proper) Mac OS!
  • Reply 34 of 155
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    iphone OS on a fast ARM will certainly be like the iphone on steroids but that's what they say about Google's Nexus One running on a 1GHz Snapdragon and they get it inside a mobile phone form factor.

It won't be that impressive in the same way that running OS 9 on a fast Mac isn't impressive.

It comes down to what they do with it and how much they want for it.
  • Reply 35 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Definitely think that dual-core ARM products and iPhone OS 4 will herald the introduction of multitasking APIs, both for tablet use and iPhone use.

The latter would present background capability with a UI functionality akin to the iPod UI when it is running in the background.

The former would allow apps to run in full UI mode at the same time, like standard desktop operating systems. Expect a bigger window border / drag-tab, resizeability, etc. Or maybe they'll be full-screen, and the tablet will have a means to swap running applications. It will be interesting to see what Apple does bring to the table later this month.

I also expect iPhone OS 4 to herald the emergence of widgets, because I don't expect the iSlate to use the iPhone springboard to launch applications, but to have a more workspacey type UI where you can drop widgets and application icons as you wish. These might be iSlate only, but Android has shown that it's nice to have widgets on your phone, so they might be available there as well.

You raise some good points, and speaking of customizable widgets, I think that the search page on iPhone 3.0 is a wasted opportunity. It populates said page after a query is typed in, but what would be cool is if it had a customizable stack of info like weather, stocks, messages, upcoming calender appointments, or facebook or twitter functionality to name a few. It would provide an at a glance portal to what you want to see without opening up apps. The search could remain of the page with the results overlaying the info screen. \
  • Reply 36 of 155
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

You don't actually know that, thought. The iPhone OS is a very capable OS X derivation and "iPhone on steroids" OS is clearly going to be tailored for the additional screen space and power of a tablet. It seems pretty likely that Apple will have positioned some of its apps to make use of it, just as they did for Mail, Safari and iTunes for the iPhone.

If a tablet can do email, browsing, media playback and management, calendaring, plus the iWork and/or the iLife suite, that covers a lot of ground. If it can do all those things in a very intuitive, very pleasurable way, then that seems pretty useful and desirable to me. It's not hard to imagine that part of the "on steroids" bit are things like more elaborated file management, multitasking, and user definable settings, so it may be a a mistake to draw too hard and fast a line between "real" OS X and an 'iPhone on steroids."

And if there are specific apps that run on OS X that I'd like to be able to have, it seems pretty clear that developers are going to be falling all over themselves to get additional functionality onto this thing. And what better way to distinguish yourself from the iPhone developing hoards than to write apps that take full advantage of the more capable hardware to give you "real" computing power?
  • Reply 37 of 155
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    I don't have a problem with 'out of control' - how many times are things 'out of this world' cool? - maybe the guy surfs...

Can't wait!
  • Reply 38 of 155
    I'm not one bit surprised.

iPhone OS "extended" + additional hardware specs.
  • Reply 39 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

How many times have cursor based operating systems been ported to a tablet? How many of those tablets have enjoyed wild success?

I'd rather have apps that work properly and are easy to use on a tablet than ones that make me want to pull my hair out after a while. Even if that means I am locked into the App Store.

Yes, but how about the easy UI AND the choice to run what apps you want? from wherever you want?

We can have cake and eat it too, it's just Apple isn't going to allow it, unless you jailbreak your iSlate and shut yourself out of any future updates/App Store.

One has to ask themselves, why hasn't any of the many great iPhone apps made it to OS X?

Why hasn't Apple made a DA that runs the same Apps as the iPhone so you can use the same programs on your Mac and your iPhone?

Apple has made duo compilers before, for PPC and Intel, one click compiles for either, so it's no sweat for them and the App developers.

It's because Apple is going to a closed UI for the masses, and OS X as we know it will be "for Pro's only" and eventually discontinued from lack of software availability in favor of the new closed iSlate/iPhone UI.

It's the future and it's closed.
  • Reply 40 of 155
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Maybe "out of control" means it's equivalent to Microsoft's Natal project. To control your Tablet, you have to hang it on the wall and do the Monkey Boy Dance.