ARM-powered Apple tablet called 'iPhone on steroids'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 155
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed, a hammer is a good tool. Most times they are a lot faster than screwdrivers!

Yes, the last time I used my framing hammer was to beat my MacBook's glossy screen to hell. ( a drink spilled on the keyboard and I didn't want to spend $600 to attempt to fix it)

True story.
  • Reply 62 of 155
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Using the Iphone OS would be very disappointing and limit the usefulness of the device. I would much prefer a touch version of snow leopard with an Iphone emulator.

your opinion and you are certainly welcome to it.

But the iphone has shown a wide range of usefulness and there are many that feel it would be more so with a better screen. So it will likely sell quite well

For those like yourself that want power, get a laptop., That's what they are made for.
  • Reply 63 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

What does Java got to do with Apple allowing apps to run on the iSlate outside the App Store?

You made a general statement about having the ?choice to run what apps you want, from wherever you want? as being such a great thing. Theoretically, sure, but in reality, not so much, hence my comment about Java to show you that trying to make a one-size-fits-all solution isn?t necessarily the panacea idealistic people think it is.
  • Reply 64 of 155
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Yes, but how about the easy UI AND the choice to run what apps you want? from wherever you want?

We can have cake and eat it too, it's just Apple isn't going to allow it, unless you jailbreak your iSlate and shut yourself out of any future updates/App Store.

One has to ask themselves, why hasn't any of the many great iPhone apps made it to OS X?

Why hasn't Apple made a DA that runs the same Apps as the iPhone so you can use the same programs on your Mac and your iPhone?

Apple has made duo compilers before, for PPC and Intel, one click compiles for either, so it's no sweat for them and the App developers.

It's because Apple is going to a closed UI for the masses, and OS X as we know it will be "for Pro's only" and eventually discontinued from lack of software availability in favor of the new closed iSlate/iPhone UI.

It's the future and it's closed.

I can't argue with someone so jaded. You are right that iPhone OS could have side loaded apps, but I don't feel like debating the pros and cons right now.
  • Reply 65 of 155
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

WTH are you talking about?

Wrong thread.

Apparently this guy has a kind of one-note mind: his last half dozen or so posts, in random threads, have been about demanding an "investigation" on the shipping delays of the 27" iMac, before that he had some random griping about this or that missing feature, then it was 8 or 9 posts in a row, in random threads, about notes and to-do and syncing on the iPhone.

Maybe he and MacTripper can form a little club where they can take turns responding to any and all topics with the same few bitter denunciations. Call it "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Rants."
  • Reply 66 of 155
    I think at the moment there are not much alternatives to ARM, since intel began to "block" e.g. the ION Chipset.

1. A netbook-replacement with Atom CPU and Intel GMA

2. A MBP with a flipped screen weighing 5 pounds at a price of e.g. 1500 - 2000 $

No. 1 will fail on delivering multi-media content and games and No 2 because of price and usability. I wouldn't buy both. (+ there are no touch-optimized applications).

Adding some OSX 10.6 features and services to iPhone OS sounds more reasonable to me.
  • Reply 67 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

...the iphone has shown a wide range of usefulness and there are many that feel it would be more so with a better screen. So it will likely sell quite well

For those like yourself that want power, get a laptop., That's what they are made for.

But it's the iSlate, the replacement of the MacBook and further laptops from Apple after that (over the course of time naturally)

Sure the iPhone UI has some nice apps, but you have to jailbreak the device in order to run apps Apple doesn't approve of or conflicts with their goals or potential hardware sales.

Once you jailbreak the device, you might not get updates or have to rely upon some guy named 133th@xor2 for your security updates.
  • Reply 68 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Apparently this guy has a kind of one-note mind: his last half dozen or so posts, in random threads, have been about demanding an "investigation" on the shipping delays of the 27" iMac, before that he had some random griping about this or that missing feature, then it was 8 or 9 posts in a row, in random threads, about notes and to-do and syncing on the iPhone.

Maybe he and MacTripper can form a little club where they can take turns responding to any and all topics with the same few bitter denunciations. Call it "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Rants."

I have nothing to do with the youngster with the iMac shipping problem.

My subject is on topic and it concerns the possible iSlate OS and if Apple is going to lock it to the App Store or not.

However if any of us are bothering you, there is a "Ignore" feature in your USER CP.

Works wonders.

Bye now.
  • Reply 69 of 155
    Quote:

Except of course that the MacBook line is down to one machine instead of three or four like before.

So whatever the iSlate is, it's being planned on replacing the laptop eventually and it's going to start with the lower units, education etc and work it's way up to the pro machines.

Your assumption is illogical. The iBook had two sizes and yet the MB was only one size, so by your simplifying logic the move to the MB meant they were going to can it back in 2007.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

He wants no other topic or article to be written on AI until the iMac situation is resolved. WTF! If he posts that again I?m going to report him.
  • Reply 70 of 155
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

But it's the iSlate, the replacement of the MacBook and further laptops from Apple after that (over the course of time naturally)

I probably shouldn't even respond to one of your posts, but I feel this is completely wrong. The MBP is not going to be replaced by a tablet and I can only hope that your reference to the supposed name of said tablet is just as incorrect as the rest of your post.
  • Reply 71 of 155
    Quote:

However if any of us are bothering you, there is a "Ignore" feature in your USER CP.

Works wonders.

Actually it doesn?t. You still see their name and it breaks up the thread. then if anyone replies to them you still see their post.
  • Reply 72 of 155
    Quote:

My subject is on topic and it concerns the possible iSlate OS and if Apple is going to lock it to the App Store or not.

Of course apps will be delivered through the AppStore. Android's recent phishing problems are EXACTLY why a closed ecosystem is a good idea. An approval percentage rate in the high 90's for AppStore submissions doesn't indicate censorship, IMO. The platform works better than any other - how can one argue that?
  • Reply 73 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You made a general statement about having the ?choice to run what apps you want, from wherever you want? as being such a great thing.

Apps from whomever you choose, designed to work on the OS your using naturally. Not locked into what Apple tells you you can run from the App Store.

Quote:

Theoretically, sure, but in reality, not so much, hence my comment about Java to show you that trying to make a one-size-fits-all solution isn?t necessarily the panacea idealistic people think it is.

I'm not talking about a cross-platform OS, just the users ability to run apps from other sources besides the App Store on the iSlate without jailbreaking their device.

This subject will come up for discussion once the iSlate is uncovered.
  • Reply 74 of 155
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Agreed, a hammer is a good tool. Most times they are a lot faster than screwdrivers!

Ha ha, we used to have a joke in the business: When you needed a sledge hammer to seriously move some screw up on a construction job, we would tell a co-worker 'Go get the micrometer.'
  • Reply 75 of 155
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

OH NO!!!

Then you could run what software you liked, instead of what Apple tells you you can run.

And Apple can't make a cut of the proceeds neither with your suggestion!

OH we can't have that, no frigging way!!!

As a user, I don't mind Apple taking a 30% cut when all I have to pay for a useful app is a couple of bucks (instead of $30 - $40 on computers and dedicated gaming devices.

As a developer, I don't mind giving Apple 30% of my take when I don't have to bother with a publisher, a retailer, and marketing. Sweet deal.

Get a grip, tripper.

Thompson
  • Reply 76 of 155
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:

Sure the iPhone UI has some nice apps, but you have to jailbreak the device in order to run apps Apple doesn't approve of or conflicts with their goals or potential hardware sales.

Once you jailbreak the device, you might not get updates or have to rely upon some guy named 133th@xor2 for your security updates.

I highly doubt the tablet is going to replace the laptop anytime soon. By that logic, shouldnt the laptop have replaced the desktop? It does many of the same things, only portable.

You dont have to jailbreak the iPhone, you choose to. If you dont like one of the 125,000 apps out for the iPhone then maybe the Android platform is more for you.
  • Reply 77 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Actually it doesn?t. You still see their name and it breaks up the thread. then if anyone replies to them you still see their post.

Looks like it needs some improvement then, perhaps a little discipline and tolerance from the readers too.

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment." - Marcus Aurelius
  • Reply 78 of 155
    Quote:

And if the hammer is your sole tool every problem looks like a nail.
  • Reply 79 of 155
    Quote:

Quote:

I'm not talking about a cross-platform OS, just the users ability to run apps from other sources besides the App Store on the iSlate without jailbreaking their device.

So you think it?s good to lock it to a company?s specific base OS, but not lock it into a specific version of that OS no matter how different the OSes are between that company?s OSes. So despite that phones have essentially the same HW you don?t want an app that runs on the Nexus One to run on the iPhone, but want an app that runs on Mac OS X to run on the iPod Touch. That is pretty backwards even for you.
  • Reply 80 of 155
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

Maybe a typo, but you may be showing your age, or I'm showing mine. Those are early 80's games.

I would hope for better demos than rehashing 30 year old games! There's nothing exciting if you played them then.

Ok, you and I are right.

Ms. Packman 1981

Asteroids 1979

I'm sure he will show-off some NEW game developed just for the gamepad, but just think of the total number of folks who will get a kick out of this new toy, if they see, something old and something new played on it (sounds a bit like a wedding here )

Skip