Google Nexus One first week sales estimated at disappointing 20K

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After much hype, the launch of Google's self-sold Nexus One smartphone managed an estimated 20,000 sales in its first week, well behind not only Apple's iPhone, but also competing Android-based handsets.

Mobile research firm Flurry this week estimated that the Nexus One, despite a great deal of buzz surrounding its announcement, failed to have a strong debut. The 20,000 week one sales are well behind the 1.6 million iPhone 3GS handsets sold in June. However, Apple's device was a third-generation product debuting in eight countries, while the Nexus One was a first-generation device on sale in just the U.S.

But the Android-powered myTouch 3G and Motorola Droid were also first-generation devices with U.S.-only launches, and both had sales much stronger than the Nexus One. The myTouch 3G sold an estimated 60,000 in its first week, while the Motorola Droid sold 250,000 units.

Despite the fact that the Nexus One was outsold three times by the myTouch 3G, 12 times by the Droid, and 80 times by the iPhone 3GS, Flurry noted there are key differences. The Motorola Droid debuted with a $100 million marketing campaign, and even the myTouch 3G was heavily promoted on television by carrier T-Mobile. By comparison, Google's handset launched after the holiday season and is marketing and selling the device through its own Web site.

"While Google, in an effort to avoid channel conflict with T-Mobile, appears to have set the direct-to-consumer price for the handset at over $500 dollars, the high price point combined with the fact that the handset is only considered an 'evolutionary' improvement over previous Android devices, indicates that Google did not take the steps to maximize first week sales," the analysis noted.

"This is especially evident when one considers that among the most expensive costs associated with the launch - marketing - has not been incurred, and could have been applied to lowering the direct-to-consumer price point."

Following the buzz leading up to the announcement of the Nexus One, Google has faced some issues and corresponding criticism from customers who have found that the company's customer support is limited to e-mail. Attempts to reach manufacturer HTC and carrier T-Mobile were reportedly no better for customers.

The Nexus One is available direct from Google for $529 without a contract, or $179 with a two-year agreement for new T-Mobile U.S. customers. The handset is due to be released on Verizon Wireless in the U.S. and Vodafone in Europe this spring.

Google worked closely with hardware maker HTC to design the Nexus One, which features a 3.7-inch AMOLED touchscreen. Though the phone can be purchased unsubsidized and unlocked through Google, the current GSM handset is only compatible with T-Mobile and AT&T in the U.S., and its 3G chip is not compatible with AT&T's high-speed wireless data network.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    Chart seems fake, it says Apple has a larger install base and has sold the most units. This doesn't fit any narrative I'm familiar with.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    "You think you're just going to walk in....?"

What went wrong? I thought it was a pretty solid introduction and thought it would do well. I think it's because of T-Mobile - maybe consumers are aware that the 3G is descent at best.

It's funny how big a splash was made in the media and how quickly it's gone, just in time for another announcement from Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    These other companies may very well get the fact that they've got NOTHING to compare with the iPhone and its nicely integrated system of functionality and features. They're probably hoping, nevertheless, that there'll be enough of a market amongst the Apple/AT&T grumblers.

But they are indeed going to have to cough up a lot more marketing and ad bucks to convince that sad, pessimistic, and pinch-penny horde.

Personally, I'm lovin' my collection of Apple gadgets: iMac, Time Capsule, Apple TV, iPhone, MobileMe account, iPhone apps, etc.

That other sad lot is really missing out.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    Nexus definately deserves this disapponting result as I tried to buy three nexus phones , all they want is to trouble me by asking me to scan my Id and my bill addresss to prove ...And my credit cards were declined many times even I have enough credit in them ! I know all

are for avoiding fraud but it is very troublesome ... ! They deserve this low result !
  • Reply 5 of 63
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Personally, I'm lovin' my collection of Apple gadgets: iMac, Time Capsule, Apple TV, iPhone, MobileMe account, iPhone apps, etc.

Yep: iMac, Macbook, 17" Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, iPhone, Touch, 2 iPod Classics, shuffle, Time Capsule, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Apple Tv, Mobile me, ect...

I drank the Koolaid.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Motorola Droid debuted with a $100 million marketing campaign, and even the myTouch 3G was heavily promoted on television by carrier T-Mobile. By comparison, Google's handset launched after the holiday season and is marketing and selling the device through its own Web site.

EXACTLY!

Before I even read the article my thinking was that the primary reason for low sales was the total lack of advertising, followed by the inability to go into some store and touch the thing before buying it.

I haven't seen or heard a single advertisement for the Nexus One beyond banner ads on geek or tech blogs. The iPhone, on the other hand, and even the Droid to a lesser extent, are seen on just about every major network, multiple times per day.

I've actually purchased a Nexus One TWICE. And then immediately cancelled the order TWICE. This wouldn't have happened if I could drive over to Best Buy and touch the damn thing. I'd either love it or hate it and move on.

Word of mouth by everyone I know who's actually touched one likes the Nexus One (at least for the hardware) - unfortunately no one I know locally is even interested, so not much chance of a touchy feely play session with one for me unless I actually don't cancel the order next time I get the urge to try one.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    So given all those variables, what does this data suggest? They're comparing a first gen Google phone which wasn't advertised at all and sold in only one country, to a heavily marketed third gen phone sold in 8?
  • Reply 8 of 63
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

So given all those variables, what does this data suggest? They're comparing a first gen Google phone which wasn't advertised at all and sold in only one country, to a heavily marketed third gen phone sold in 8?

Yes. AI has covered market share and units sold since the iPhone debuted. It's not their fault Google didn't advertise.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 165member
    The Nexus One has a horrible choice of color which no doubt affected its sales influence. Perhaps a variety of color tastes would have exponentially helped. Besides its hardware spec can leave the 3GS in the dust.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    Not surprising really. When you have multiple phones that look virtually the same and have the same user experience and the only difference is the hardware on the inside that the average consumer doesn't care about, don't expect to see huge numbers on specific devices. And average consumers are what make up the huge numbers, not your typical gadget geek whining on a tech blog because the xGadget only has a Whatzadoozle chip instead of the Thingamadamp chip.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

What went wrong? I thought it was a pretty solid introduction and thought it would do well. I think it's because of T-Mobile - maybe consumers are aware that the 3G is descent at best.

It's funny how big a splash was made in the media and how quickly it's gone, just in time for another announcement from Apple.

As mentioned above in my last post, I actually bought one of these (and cancelled order) twice. The first time was because of the lack of ability to touch it before buying it.

Once I got over that and ordered up a second time, I realized that T-Mobile service has so many issues, even here in Los Angeles. I'm in the San Fernando Valley, a major suburb of Los Angeles, and I'm within a mile of two major freeways. I get 5 bars inside my house on both AT&T and Verizon, not so with T-Mobile.

The T-Mobile coverage map shows my house as inside what is pretty much a DEAD ZONE. Per T-Mo's map, I shouldn't expect to be able to make a call inside my house, or even inside my car! T-Mobile's signal is that weak it can't even penetrate a car!?!? My friend with a jailbroken iPhone 2G on T-Mobile has to go outside to make calls when he visits, but I always thought it was the iPhone 2G's bad antenna, not the lack of decent coverage by T-Mobile. The map also shows that I should expect to get EDGE data only at home...not too big a deal, as I have WiFi, but still a consideration.

In short, I think the T-Mobile only is indeed a deal killer for many. As much as I'd like one, I can't justify a phone that won't make calls inside my house!

Quote:

...They're probably hoping, nevertheless, that there'll be enough of a market amongst the Apple/AT&T grumblers.

Right. There are Verizon and T-Mobile fanboys who are just as rabid about their cell companies as we are about out Apple products. Two friends of mine will never leave T-Mobile because of the cheap rate plans they're grandfathered in on. One of them is livid, though, with T-Mobile over the lack of the full discount on the Nexus One for existing T-Mo customers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

Nexus definately deserves this disapponting result as I tried to buy three nexus phones , all they want is to trouble me by asking me to scan my Id and my bill addresss to prove ...And my credit cards were declined many times even I have enough credit in them ! I know all

are for avoiding fraud but it is very troublesome ... ! They deserve this low result !

Sorry, but I can't go along with your damning the success of what seems to be a decent piece of hardware with an OS that's starting to nip on Apple's heels because you have some kind of issue with the check-out process.

As mentioned a couple of times, I actually purchased the Nexus One twice, with no issues on the procedure. It only takes about 4 mouse clicks to buy the thing if you are getting it unlocked and already have a Google Checkout account.

Are you trying to buy one with a contract? Do you have credit score issues? Are you outside the US (your name says Perth)? It sounds like something unique to you, not the system.

That said, Google clearly didn't think out the customer support aspect of selling the phone directly themselves, and so they do deserve any drop in sales that that issue generates.

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Yep: iMac, Macbook, 17" Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, iPhone, Touch, 2 iPod Classics, shuffle, Time Capsule, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Apple Tv, Mobile me, ect...

I drank the Koolaid.

And that Kool-Aid tastes good doesn't it?

Mac Pro Quad Core, MacBook Pro unibody, MacBook Pro original model, AppleTV, 3 Airport Extremes, 2 Airport Expresses, 2 iPhone 2Gs, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3G[s], iPod 4G, iPod 5G, MobileMe, etc as well. (Have you noticed there are a lot of "G"s attached to iProducts now?)
  • Reply 12 of 63
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I drank the Koolaid.

Was it the blue Koolaid? Blue Koolaid was the best.

As for this news, Google isn't Apple. While that may sound like a glib statement, it sums up the situation. In its approach to tech, customer service, and its vision for how peope should interact with technology, Apple is entirely unique. Bertrand Serlet remarked last year that Apple approaches tech "from an entirely different place." That wasn't just promotion-speak to whip up the crowd. It was the truth.

Google can learn all they want, they can make all the improvements they like, but if they don't experience a sea-change, philosphically and in terms of attitude, about how to fundamentally deal with the relationship people have with tech, they'll consistently find themselves on lists, charts, and reports where they just don't measure up. Apple has that "special touch" that isn't duplicated very well outside Cupertino.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

"You think you're just going to walk in....?"

The thing that no one seems to note is that the market has started to saturate of smartphones. The people that can afford one already have bought an iPhone, Droid or Sony Ericsson, Samsung, LG, PRE, or another, and generally they are happy. Particularly the iPhone have a very large lifespan people are still using the 1st Generation like they bought it past week, and we're talking almost 3 years now. It's too late to catch the iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 165member
    Like I said, bad marketing. Though the majority of consumers are unaware of the 1Ghz Cpu and other detials, the main turn-off for me was the color. What the heck were they thinking? Give up my 3GS for a brown looking phone? A black model would have definitely gotten my attention....I don't know about you guys..
  • Reply 15 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Was it the blue Koolaid? Blue Koolaid was the best.

I preferred the bondi, myself.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    It's interesting. There are numerous Android devices out there already, and have been before the Droid and Nexus One. So add the Droid and Nexus One on top of all the others, and Google *still* hasn't got it right, compared to an iPhone which, in many respects, has been unchanged since the first model was launched back in 2007.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    homiehomie Posts: 44member
    This seems like a typical Google strategy; start slow and in low numbers and build up as you improve things. Kind of like Gmail, Google Voice, Wave, etc...

I find it interesting that almost no one mentions the Palm Pre which nearly beat the Drioid in it's first week even though it is on a much smaller network. (200k-230k for Pre v. 250k for Droid). That makes Pre pretty successful when compared to anything but iPhone.

With 3D gaming, Flash 10.1 and a hardware keyboard, I'm sticking with my Pre. I love it.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Homie View Post

With 3D gaming, Flash 10.1 and a hardware keyboard, I'm sticking with my Pre. I love it.

How's the software selection? There seem to be many fewer titles available, but are you able to find those that you want/need? Or are you frustrated when you see cool new software for other platforms, unavailable on the Pre?

The Pre seem to have a very solid OS, but I wonder about software availability. BTW, I'd root for it, being a PalmOS user from way back, but Android seems to have gotten the traction that WebOS may have deserved.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    ifailifail Posts: 463member

hardcore fanboys always provide the lulz

Google is not aiming for the Nexus One to be a superstar or iPhone killer or Droid killer but more or less a benchmark of what the Android platform is capable of. This phone hasnt even had 1% of the marketing blitz the Droid had, and the only people who know about it are tech news readers really because thats where most of its exposure came from.

Suffice to say, Google could have pushed the Nexus One hard if it wanted to but chose not to (i wonder why their not on VZW yet? Must be that other Android device that came out not long ago).

The Nexus One is raw, and hands the 3GS and other smartphones their ass in benchmarking, its probably why Steve Wozniak owns one.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/revie...e-review.ars/4
  • Reply 20 of 63
    I had a play with a Nexus One last night (a friend of mine works for Google and was given one) and I have to admit, I was not that impressed.

The hardware is fantastic, especially the screen which is way better than the iPhone, but the user interface (with the exception of the maps application which is brilliant) is nowhere near as good as the iPhone.

I think Google have made the same mistake with Nexus that Microsoft did with Zune. Microsofts assumption was that the way to beat iPod was to add more features, but in truth, the simplicity of iPod was one of the key selling points. It seems the same with Nexus. There is far more flexibility in what you can do, but as a result it doesn't seem as "clean" to me.

I came away thinking that 'techie' types will probably love it and bang on about all the additional features (and the fact that it "hands other smartphones their ass in benchmarking"!), but the majority of users will prefer the simplicity of iPhone.

It'll be interesting to see what happens though - Google are a smart company.