Tablet, iPhone OS 4.0, iLife 2010 'confirmed' for Apple event - report

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new report Monday from FoxNews.com cites an anonymous source to claim Apple will introduce its tablet, "iPhone 4" and iLife 2010 at next week's event.

Clayton Morris said the event will focus on the three products, but new iPhone hardware will not be introduced. However, he said, iPhone OS 4.0 (which he referred to as "iPhone 4") will be a part of the proceedings.

"I spoke to a source at Apple this morning, before the invite hit my inbox, who said the event would likely focus on three projects: The tablet device, iPhone 4, and a new round of iLife 2010 software," Morris wrote. "While we won't see new iPhone hardware just yet, we will see the next-generation software."

Morris went on to offer a caveat that Apple sometimes changes its mind about what products to introduce at the last minute. He noted last September's iPod unveiling, when a new iPod touch was introduced without a camera due to rumored technical issues. Sources have told AppleInsider that the company still intends to add a camera to a future iPod touch.

The report also follows a rumor from earlier this month that Apple could ship a multi-touch version of iWork when the tablet debuts. It was not said whether iLife 2010 would be available for the tablet.

Earlier Monday, Apple sent out invitations to the event at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco. The company used the tagline "Come see our latest creation" to invite select members of the press. The included graphic has the Apple logo surrounded by colorful paint splatters. The event is scheduled for 10 a.m. Pacific time.

Last month, select developers were allegedly asked to prepare full-screen demos of their iPhone applications for a public unveiling. Reports have said that some have been working with a new software development kit, iPhone OS 4.0, that includes a "simulator" that aims to make it easy for developers to adapt their software to different screen resolutions.

Late last month, Morris also corroborated early rumors that Apple would hold an event in late January. That report and the initial news from the Financial Times were off by one day in their claims, stating the event would be held Jan. 26.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 224
    I'm gonna have some fun coding for this beast. Will keep me occupied for a while.

Get in.
  • Reply 2 of 224
    Fox News: A Paragon of Journalistic Integrity. Pass.
  • Reply 3 of 224
    Wouldn't be surprising to see a special touch version of iLife on the tablet.

Then a demo or iPhone 4 with some snippets of the tablet software built into it.
  • Reply 4 of 224
    I'm gonna pretend I didn't see this.

Because we all know the iTablet/Slate is an imaginary product.

Move along folks, nothing to see here.
  • Reply 5 of 224
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I think we're going to see the introduction of a painting program for iLife.
  • Reply 6 of 224
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I dunno, the iLife part of the rumour makes no sense to me. iLife was only jsut updated for starters, and if there was a painting app added, it would be added to iWork, not iLife. iWork is also in need of an update to run on the tablet.
  • Reply 7 of 224
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I'm gonna have some fun coding for this beast. Will keep me occupied for a while.

Get in.

Code the hell out of it! Push it's capabilities to the max!

I really hope Apple has loaded this creature up with as many sensors as possible.
  • Reply 8 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

Then don't post to this thread again.
  • Reply 9 of 224
    With the news of iLife '10, I'm really hoping 2 things happen with this:

1 - Tablet/touch version of iPhoto

2 - Apple is smart enough to realize that while the tablet is not in use, it could be propped on a custom easel and serve as a perfect Digital Picture Frame linked through iPhoto while charging.
  • Reply 10 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post

I'm gonna pretend I didn't see this.

Because we all know the iTablet/Slate is an imaginary product.

Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Like the dodo bird, the apple tablet naysayers are on the verge of becoming an extinct species.
  • Reply 11 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Then don't post to this thread again.

It's perfectly ok to critique the source!

Has this ever happened before: That somebody leaked exactly which announcements will be made? I don't believe it. Because the source is bad and because this has never happened before.
  • Reply 12 of 224
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I dunno, the iLife part of the rumour makes no sense to me. iLife was only jsut updated for starters, and if there was a painting app added, it would be added to iWork, not iLife. iWork is also in need of an update to run on the tablet.

A painting program seems to fit in with the likes of iMovie and GarageBand just fine. iWork should be on the tablet, but it should be it's own version, not an updated desktop version (especially considering the most likely OS).
  • Reply 13 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

mark your words, because you're probably right with this one...

they'll demo it in the tablet...
  • Reply 14 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

A painting program seems to fit in with the likes of iMovie and GarageBand just fine. iWork should be on the tablet, but it should be it's own version, not an updated desktop version (especially considering the most likely OS).

For us tech watchers I think it's almost obvious at this point that if it will indeed carry iWork then it will most likely be a special custom version and not something that resembles a desktop app.
  • Reply 15 of 224
    no need to go now, heard it all here (probably NOT)
  • Reply 16 of 224
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

Left winger?

Just a hunch.

I have a feeling that iLfe '10 will work on the tablet.
  • Reply 17 of 224
    I'd bet money the next version of iLife is gonna be "iLife X" and then "iWork X".
  • Reply 18 of 224
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    They wouldn't introduce iLife 10 at the same time as the Tablet unless it was a special touch version, else it would just distract from the main event. But then, that makes me wonder what sized screen it has, if it is for serious work I mean.
  • Reply 19 of 224
    I think the key thing for iLife or iWork is to make them able to produce content for the new tablet and next gen iPhone. I think this is likely to be based on the same standards as TuneKit for iTunes LP and Extras. Hopefully this will also bring greater interactivity to website that don't use flash.

While iPhone has all been about apps maybe the tablet will be as much about interactive content with apple making authoring easy with iLife.
  • Reply 20 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I thought the current versions of iWork and iLife were both introduced January last year.

A graphic application could fit into iWork or iLife. Blueprint for iWork or iPaint for iLife. But do think that other than that, there isn't much in iLife that lends itself to the tablet. iMovie? I think not or it would be very limited. Movies need processing power and storage space. iPhoto? Maybe. iWeb? A little more possible. iDVD? Without an optical drive what would be the point? You'd still need processing power for that anyway. But Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, and (Blueprint?) with connectivity to iWork.com? Now we're talking!

Either way, I think both suites do need to be updated not just to run on the tablet, but because it's the time of the year when new versions get introduced plus they need to at least be released as 64 bit applications on the Mac. Or at least, I would really like that.