Tablet, iPhone OS 4.0, iLife 2010 'confirmed' for Apple event - report

Comments

• Reply 101 of 224
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I disagree. Anyway the invitation said "Come see our latest creation (singular)," not "creations."

Yes, there will only be one (singular) new, never seen before product (creation) there. There could still be a couple updated products (possibly related to the new product) introduced as well. A new iLife and iPhone OS 4.0 would not be new creations and thus wouldn't be contradictory to the wording of the invitation.

A dinosaur museum may have a sign saying "come see our T-Rex", but that doesn't mean they don't have other fossils on display.
  • Reply 102 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Which is why you prefer your news from an admitted rumors site......??

Rumours doesn't equate to "unreliable rumours". And we are not here just for the news, we are here for the rumours also.

The fact that it's almost certain no one from apple would ever pick up the phone and blather about pretty much everything on an upcoming keynote, makes this fox news story garbage. Fox is garbage otherwise too (Sarah Palin anyone?) but here again they prove that point.
  • Reply 103 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Or just someone with a brain.

How anyone can take a word that comes out of that ultra-conservative, far right, pro-religious, homophobic, racist, sack of steaming lies is beyond me. It gives tabloid journalism a bad name.

So yes, Fox News source = lie.

Your comment is probably one of the most offensive of anybody's so far. So because I watch Fox News, I no longer have a brain and I am all of those stupid stereotypes you rattled off?

I happen to be a very devout Christian. Yes, I am conservative. A couple of my wife's and my best friends are a gay couple two houses down. I play basketball every week with a group of guys from work every week, half of them black, and some of the best all-around guys I know. I can call a pile of crap just that when I see it, and some stuff on Fox News is just that. Guess what, the same can be said about CNN, MSNBC, C-SPAN, etc. Don't profile all of us just because of Rush's sometimes stupid comments. Please rethink your post and your state of mind, because while I respect anybody and everybody I come across, it is very hard to respect you based on comments like that, and I am sure you're better than that.
  • Reply 104 of 224
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

... Do you really think iPaint would be part of iWork? Maybe. ...

Absolutely.

I think I could be wrong too, but I don't understand why me saying this has got so much blow-back. Traditionally, the drawing/paint application is *always* included in an Office type suite.

Apple's longest lasting offering of that type is Appleworks (now defunct and officially replaced by iWork), and the only thing "missing" in the new incarnation is the old Appleworks drawing program. I didn't think it was controversial at all to suggest that iWork would be the place to put the drawing/paint program. Productivity apps just make more sense for a tablet IMO than "lifestyle" apps.

I could be totally wrong of course, but I was just going with what seemed the most likely given past history.

More and more however, I think we've entered that period just before the announcement when tempers get raised, anticipation is rabid, and so much confusion and speculation abounds that no one can really say anything intelligent.

I'm looking forward to the clarity that will come just *after* the announcement.
  • Reply 105 of 224
    Without relying on whether Fox News has any journalistic integrity (though for the record, IMO they have none), I have to doubt very much that EVEN IF Apple was going to leak everything about the upcoming product rollout to anyone, which in the past THEY HAVE NEVER DONE, that they'd choose Fox as the vehicle. Or maybe Apple is just messing with us. Who knows?
  • Reply 106 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

So what is the link between the new device, iLife and iPhone OS 4? Would Apple do a special event like this to launch three disparate products? Doesn't seem very elegant to me. They should probably all tie together somehow.

answer: iLife app as it's own app as part of the iLife suite that integrated social media with iChat and apple maps app which will also be on the phone and also will be socially connected. fingers crossed
  • Reply 107 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I dunno, the iLife part of the rumour makes no sense to me. iLife was only jsut updated for starters, and if there was a painting app added, it would be added to iWork, not iLife. iWork is also in need of an update to run on the tablet.

If there was no other update to iWork than being able to make an index in Pages, I would be ecstatic. I have been making some tech manuals in Pages for internal training at my company, and I could crank these things out in record time for a broader audience if I could just make a stinkin' index. As it is, I'm saddled with inDesign, which is such overkill for the need. I know that Word can do this function, but in Windows World (my work environment), nobody can get the same document to open on identical machines twice in a row.

I work with an outside print shop, the prepress guy there said that the pdfs that Pages puts out are just about as pristine as anything he has ever seen. He is an Adobe ACE, and he went out and bought a copy of iWork just to play around with to see what is under the hood.

C'mon, Apple... gimme an index feature!!! PLEASE!!!!
  • Reply 108 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Isn't it funny how they can't help but inject their ideology into every aspect of everything they do/see/read/hear? I am amazed that the mere mention of Fox causes so many of them to begin blurting noises and puffing about like a bunch of territorially-challenged chimpanzees.

Are you talking about the right or the left? ;-)
  • Reply 109 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Without relying on whether Fox News has any journalistic integrity (though for the record, IMO they have none), I have to doubt very much that EVEN IF Apple was going to leak everything about the upcoming product rollout to anyone, which in the past THEY HAVE NEVER DONE, that they'd choose Fox as the vehicle. Or maybe Apple is just messing with us. Who knows?

You don't think Apple allows for some controlled leaks?

Edit: Even if true, I don't think this qualifies as leaking everything.
  • Reply 110 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Absolutely.

I think I could be wrong too, but I don't understand why me saying this has got so much blow-back. Traditionally, the drawing/paint application is *always* included in an Office type suite.

Apple's longest lasting offering of that type is Appleworks (now defunct and officially replaced by iWork), and the only thing "missing" in the new incarnation is the old Appleworks drawing program. I didn't think it was controversial at all to suggest that iWork would be the place to put the drawing/paint program. Productivity apps just make more sense for a tablet IMO than "lifestyle" apps.

I could be totally wrong of course, but I was just going with what seemed the most likely given past history.

More and more however, I think we've entered that period just before the announcement when tempers get raised, anticipation is rabid, and so much confusion and speculation abounds that no one can really say anything intelligent.

I'm looking forward to the clarity that will come just *after* the announcement.

Other than Appleworks, what suites are you referring to? And why would the tablet have iLife or iWork and not just some of the applications contained in those suites?
  • Reply 111 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

You don't think Apple allows for some controlled leaks?

Edit: Even if true, I don't think this qualifies as leaking everything.

Yes, they do, but I've never seen any of this information attributed to anyone at Apple. Also, if true, it seems they did leak pretty much the entire menu of important items that will be introduced next week. Has Apple ever done this before? Never.
  • Reply 112 of 224
    . . . to be expected that apple will extend iLife to the tablet. Just look at quicktime in 10.6 and video editing on the iPhone. Then consider the "skimming" media features throughout iLife suite and the large thumbnail precision editing in iMovie.

Now add to that a whole new 3d gesturing tablet interface and you've got a game changer - an uber-awesome way to edit media that eager desktop media app developers will emulate, as they retool their code for a new paradigm of tablet computing. Especially if apple continues to provide killer APIs and development environment!
  • Reply 113 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I'd still like to know what the mass appeal of a tablet is.

Well, if it can play music, movies, has anything remotely like GPS and is under a grand, I'm going to junk the AVIC-3 in my car and put one of these in it so I can find the damned playlist I want to hear with something less than 50 clicks, half of which do nothing. Hell, if it didn't do anything else, it would be the best car stereo front end... EVER!
  • Reply 114 of 224
    I don't trust Apple rumor stories from any of the mainstream media left,right, or center. It's just not their area of expertise or focus (nor should it be, given all the real problems we face).

The buzz certainly seems to have built to a crescendo over the past couple months. I hope Apple has made something worthy of the hype. Right now I still don't see a tablet sized hole in my life. But I wanna believe....
  • Reply 115 of 224
    If Fox News reported it, then it must be true.

I'm willing to bet they are just reporting it for the ratings or to increase viewers or some other self serving interest...
  • Reply 116 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

You aren't forced to buy new software just because it's available.

I skipped iLife '05 and never felt like I was missing anything. I was planning to skip iLife '09 too, but wound up buying a new Mac last year and so got it "free". I definitely won't bother with iLife X and likely won't pay for v11 either because I'm planning to move my Mac mini to the living room and get an iMac once Mac OS X 10.7.1 is out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

"make" you pay? I see two options...

1. Apple releases iLife '10 and you simply don't buy it.

2. Apple doesn't release iLife '10.

Either way, you are still using your iLife '09.

So why would you care if Apple releases '10 for those of us who might want to use it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Good Lord, it's always amazing to see people saying this. I hope you're under 12, because otherwise this is silly. You don't have to pay to keep using iWork & iLife 2009. That's what you paid for. The programmers who worked on these packages over the past year didn't do so for free, but you want the product of their labors for free... because you paid for the product of their labors the year before? That's like the Simpson's episode where Homer was trying to explain to Lisa that he didn't have to pay taxes this year, because he paid LAST year.

You three geniuses apparently didn't get the memo about a backwards compatibility problems that Apple has lately had. Stop being condescending idiot jerks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Upgrade pricing is in order for yearly updates, agreed.

Thanks.
  • Reply 117 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

How does that line of reasoning work out with... cable tv, newspapers, magazines you currently enjoy or how about even the basics like electricity and water...

Wait... we gotta pay the electric company AGAIN didn't we just write them a check LAST month!?!

_or_

To reverse things just a bit... Didn't your employer pay you LAST week... and yet you expect them to pay you again THIS week!?!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Why shouldn't they get compensated for adding more to the programs?

If you don't feel they are worth upgrading, you can always stick with what you have

Oh wow. More condescending jerks. Grow up (DaveGee, your comment is particularly puzzling).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I would pay but not more $9.99 and they must be 64-bit. However, this will change once Steve Jobs show up on the 27th

I agree.
  • Reply 118 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Yes, they do, but I've never seen any of this information attributed to anyone at Apple. Also, if true, it seems they did leak pretty much the entire menu of important items that will be introduced next week. Has Apple ever done this before? Never.

A tablet and iPhone OS 4.0 have been rumored for ages, the only new "information" is iLife. Additionally the term focus isn't all inclusive, this doesn't exclude the possibility of new MBP's being quickly introduced, or anything else for that matter and more specifically it doesn't give any information about what the tablet would do, which is what they will spend the most time talking about. We've seen many rumored lineups before, iPods come to mind.
  • Reply 119 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_the_spoon View Post

either the funniest misspelling ever or the funniest misspelling ever. I can't decide yet.

Nah! ...the post about the pirate who said "I don't want to leave my shipmate's behind".

• Reply 120 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

I'm having a hard time discerning if you're being sarcastic or genuine in your comment. But really? How is it "gouging" for Apple (or whoever) to charge you for a new version of a product/service? I guess you'll just have to suffice with "last year's product" (shudder) until iWork & iLife 2011 rolls around.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Who is asking you to "pony up" again? Did your iLife 08 stop working when iLife 09 came out? Mine was fine. If you think the upgrade is worth the price, you buy it. If it isn't, you don't.

Hey, I just bought a new Mac and yeah, I'm now wishing I'd waited a few more days... but if I have to buy iLife 10, I'll choose to do so if the upgrade is worthwhile for me. Otherwise, iLife 09 rocks (well, for me it's all about iPhoto and the FlickrExport add-on)

Again, let me explain to you: Stuff saved in iWork '09 cannot be opened in iWork '08.

Do the following thought experiment in an intellectually honest way (if you can): If Microsoft came out with Office '09, and '10, each backwards-incompatible with the previous version, and yet had charged the same for the new versions, you would have complained.

All I am suggesting is, there was a huge shift when Apple moved from 10.5 to 10.6, and I am simply hoping that the same does not happen when Apple moves from 10.6 nontouch to 10.6 touch. You should too.