'Minor issues' could result in June launch for $999 Apple tablet - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    It's precisely because a 10-inch tablet would have to cost around $1,000 that it seems unlikely Apple would go there.

I still think the logical next move for Apple would be to bring out a larger version of the Touch and not market it as anything other than that. Around $500 for a 7-inch Touch would work, I think. But if you try to bring a $1,000 product to market at this time you're going to wind up with a sales flop.
  • Reply 42 of 109
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This device would fail very badly at $999. It's a non-essential purchase. It needs to be priced like a semi-impulse-buy item. Here is a Lenovo 10" capacitive tablet with Atom, 160GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 802.11n for $549:

http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/lenovo...let/18177.aspx

We're already near double the price of a netbook at this point.

If Apple go with ARM, they save money, especially if there's common inventory with the mobiles. They will get good deals on displays due to the orders they will place.

The 64GB ipod touch is $399. Take the same kind of internals and use it with the display from the Lenovo and you get $499-599 (£349-399). Same price as an unsubsidized iphone and the original price of the modern consoles.

That $549 Lenovo is a glorified Netbook. And I really do not want to run a full blown desktop OS on a device like this.
  • Reply 43 of 109
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Read it here:

64gb $599

128gb $799

Those are the tablet models and price. Same 10.1" screen size. No HW differences besides storage.
  • Reply 44 of 109
    I would bet the iPhone/iPod Touch App Store will come to the iPad in similar form, and you will see an App Store for Mac desktop computers as well. In the meantime, there is a Mac App Store from a 3rd Party called Bodega:

http://appbodega.com/
  • Reply 45 of 109
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenberg View Post

Shaw Wu has the worst record of any analyst in the industry. His predictions are worth betting AGAINST.

I agree with your sentiments but Kathryn Huberty of Morgan Stanley surpassed even Wu as a moron.
  • Reply 46 of 109
    I'm putting my money away already for whatever Apple is unveiling next week.

I hope they don't rush it out. I'd like them to take their time to get it right.
  • Reply 47 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While Apple's tablet is still expected to see a formal introduction at a media event next week, issues with battery life and durability could result in a June launch, an analyst said Tuesday.

Assuming this can carry even a trace of credibility....

WHY would Apple even consider announcing any such product six months ahead??

Unless issues did appear at literally the last moment and/or Steve feels it necessary to make the rumor mill STFU, why not wait until the product is, um, ready?

Anyway, with any luck this analysis is vapor, and Steve will open with "Now available at the Apple Store..."
  • Reply 48 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

I agree. The fanbois will be lined up in the predawn hours to get one, price be damned.

The fanbois are not what makes Apple a successful business. It's the spill over into mainstream populations that make them successful.
  • Reply 49 of 109
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    So what happened to?:
    Quote:

Apple tablet rumored to be 'shockingly' inexpensive

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...expensive.html

I certainly wouldn't call $999 inexpensive, much less shockingly so.

AI seems to be putting up any old dross just to get the traffic stats up at the moment

Aren't we overdue for a leaked photo of the tablet round about now?
  • Reply 50 of 109
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

recession was over 4 months ago

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ber...ver-2009-09-15

My mistake. I didn't go by the strict dictionary meaning of the word recession. I was just going by the fact that 10% of the country has no job officially and many believe the unofficial rate is double.

Either way I'm sure there will be many people out there, who don't have jobs, that can't wait to go spend $1000 on this thing. I'm also guessing there will be many from Goldman Sachs ordering this item though.
  • Reply 51 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

So what happened to?:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...expensive.html

I certainly wouldn't call $999 inexpensive, much less shockingly so.

AI seems to be putting up any old dross just to get the traffic stats up at the moment

Aren't we overdue for a leaked photo of the tablet round about now?

AI has gone down the tubes, MacRumors has it all over this place now. And for the leaked photo, yeah it's getting close, maybe by Friday the shaky cell phone camera image form Steve Jobs phone will be exposed.
  • Reply 52 of 109
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    $1000 for an overgrown iPod Touch. No, thanks. $600 and I'd be vaguely interested. At $1k, I want most of the capabilities of a Mac, even if apps run more slowly than on the bottom of the line Macbook.
  • Reply 53 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Keep in mind that this thing is going to be $500.

That thing also appears to be black and white .. or um blue and monochrome. Their page says nothing about color display techs and there are no pictures of anything in color.
  • Reply 54 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

That thing also appears to be black and white .. or um blue and monochrome. Their page says nothing about color display techs and there are no pictures of anything in color.

you apparently didn't wait for the flash slideshow to commence, plenty of color photos shown.
  • Reply 55 of 109
    We are running this story tomorrow...thought we would give Apple Insider readers a FirstLook:

http://www.rainydaymagazine.com/RDM2...PatchFirstLook

The NEW device is actually called the iPatch...all this tablet talk is just a red herring.

Sincerely,

RainyDayInterns
  • Reply 56 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I was just going by the fact that 10% of the country has no job officially and many believe the unofficial rate is double.

I honestly do not at all mean to sound cruel or uncaring, but they're unlikely to be purchasers of Apple products.
  • Reply 57 of 109
    If this iPad locks you in and only lets you buy content from Apple vis-a-vis the iTunes store, I would expect a major fail like the AppleTv for the very same reason.

I would sell your stock this week.
  • Reply 58 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

$1000 for an overgrown iPod Touch. No, thanks. $600 and I'd be vaguely interested. At $1k, I want most of the capabilities of a Mac, even if apps run more slowly than on the bottom of the line Macbook.

Agreed. Can you multitask from a Touch like a basic netbook ( besides listening to music)? Can you print from an iPod Touch? Noooooo.
  • Reply 59 of 109
    Didn't our friend Tekstud predict last summer it would be announced in January and released in June?
  • Reply 60 of 109
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

Can you print from an iPod Touch? Noooooo.

Yes actually.