Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    They never learn do they?
  • Reply 22 of 79
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Hmmmmmmmmm.... that sounds grotesque. I would rather Apple developed their own.

Far easier said than done. They seem to have the data centers to do so, but making a relevant search engine is something that takes highly specialized people. I don't think it fits Apple's aims, people might buy iPods to better use the iTunes store, but I don't think people would buy iPhones so they can better use an Apple search engine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

It doesn't seem like a very Apple-like feature to let the user select their search engine; surely Steve Jobs decides which is the best one and that's what you get?

Socrates

I had thought Apple only offered Google, but I did manage to find a way to switch to Yahoo! once I heard there was an option. I don't know if putting app settings in the System Settings is a good idea though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bowser View Post

NEVER!

I will NEVER buy any app that has ads in it. That's part of what you should be getting when you pay for an app; NO ADS.

All the apps with ads I've seen so far are free, so that fits your requirements.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    As distasteful as the idea of huddling up close to Microsoft may be, and as worrisome as it is that Google has become so dominant, we all have to look in the mirror when it comes to online search. We've all become so used to free search that we can't imagine paying for it. And yet, such a service has enormous costs.

I wonder how many people would be willing to pay a monthly/annual subscription for the value of what Google provides each time you type something in that search box? (One would like to think that the results would thus be ad-free, but cable TV has shown us that subscription services are no antidote for annoying ads.) I suspect that, after a decade of excellent free search services, drastic change may be in the winds...
  • Reply 24 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

All the apps with ads I've seen so far are free, so that fits your requirements.

If I recall correctly the CNN app has ads and they charge for it - unless of course they've changed it since they first launched it (ads before each of the video clips).
  • Reply 25 of 79
    Why someone would want to put on its platform a immature search engine full of security holes and sneaking some funky Microsoft solution that does not have much to do with pure searching?

What kind of deal would Microsoft offer Apple?

Now I know that Apple-Google relations may not be the best, but I bet they are far from bad.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

If I recall correctly the CNN app has ads and they charge for it - unless of course they've changed it since they first launched it (ads before each of the video clips).

You're right, but that wasn't one of the programs I had downloaded, I didn't know about it. It does come up in the reviews. I don't think anyone should be shocked in that case though, you have to pay to get ads on their cable video channel.

You can get to the mobile web site in Safari, If there are apps, I managed to tune them out pretty well.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

No thank you. I really prefer Google for search.

I did a trrent search once on bing for free tv shows seeing how the fashion online ABC eg, won't work. Got zero hits. Maybe that's why apple likes them?
  • Reply 28 of 79
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Strategically, this move isn't the worst one. Google threatens.

Well, we all will continue to use free Google app, while Bing will be spreading its wings.

Heh, GOOG seems pwned
  • Reply 29 of 79
    Bing is nothing more than a steaming pile of dog crap!!!

I came to this conclusion after giving it an honest open-minded try...
  • Reply 30 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Strategically, this move isn't the worst one. Google threatens.

Well, we all will continue to use free Google app, while Bing will be spreading its wings.

Heh, GOOG seems pwned

Are there more Android pones sold than Windows Mobile?
  • Reply 31 of 79
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I don't think it's true. It's actually a rumour.
  • Reply 32 of 79
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Why Bing? why not yahoo or something else?
  • Reply 33 of 79
    Anyone knows what you get from Bing if you search for help with a Mac issue? I once did and got all kinds of crap trying to lure me over to the Windows world.

Anyone tried to resolve a Microsoft issue using Bing? I use Google to search the Microsoft documentation.

I have tried Bing a few times, but never found anything useful with it.
  • Reply 34 of 79
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Yeah and Steve Jobs is going to release his own clothing line. Pull the other one.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Are there more Android pones sold than Windows Mobile?

Ummm... Can't say. Not that I care much...
  • Reply 36 of 79
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3rd View Post

I agree with anonymous guy, I want the option of which search provider to use.

• Reply 37 of 79
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

I don't think this is likely - at all, but I do like the idea of Microsoft being relegated to the status of a pawn! Finally, it is where it truly belongs...

Might this not just be a clever negotiating tactic by Apple to bring Google into line?

if you are going that route, how about a clever tactic to make Bing seem cooler by associating it with the hip brand of Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 79
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

if you are going that route, how about a clever tactic to make Bing seem cooler by associating it with the hip brand of Apple.

Ahhh . . . interesting point.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bowser View Post

NEVER!

I will NEVER buy any app that has ads in it. That's part of what you should be getting when you pay for an app; NO ADS.

I second this sentiment. For any app that has both a Paid and Free variant, I purchase the Paid app for the simple reason that I do not like having ads thrown at my face. With such a limited amount of screen real estate, ads become really annoying, really fast on the iPhone. I can only hope that Apple chooses not to venture down the same road as Google has.

Edit: As for Bing, I say why not. There has been some positive buzz generated about Bing lately, and if it fosters competition with Google's search monopoly, then I commend Microsoft and Apple for working together to provide alternative choices. Choice is good.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Repeat to infinity and beyond. Just say no to Bing.

I don't care what other search engine Apple finds. Just say no to Bing or anything else Microsoft wants to call ANY of their products.

Do you really want to start pushing those of us who don't like Microsoft to other devices? I don't care if I have a choice to choose something else after Bing is pushed on me. My AT&T contract is up soon and I will have a choice of any phone. I'm not THAT enamored with the iPhone.

If there is a choice between an iPhone with Bing as the default search engine and another phone, and THERE IS A CHOICE, I will NOT be buying another iPhone.