Sources detail physical design of Apple's upcoming tablet device

Comments

• Reply 41 of 257
    Pass. I have no use for this "creation".
  • Reply 42 of 257
    I've only had a detached interest in the whole tablet speculation, but that mockup is cool. Seeing the OS X dock rather than the iPhone home screen made me take notice. I think I would want one of those if it existed!

Oh, wait, I already have OS X on my laptop. Okay, never mind.
  • Reply 43 of 257
    It will be inflatable with helium, which will allow it to float in midair, and also to deflate for convenient storage.
  • Reply 44 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You don't see it?

His iMac screen is just too glossy...
  • Reply 45 of 257
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I don't buy the design. Certainly not an alu back. The thing will spend most of its time lying on its back getting scratched up. There will be some other material on the back side. Also don't buy the OSX interface.

[CENTER]How is this any different than the vast majority of Apple's recent designs e.g chrome-back iPod Classic and iPod Touch, (scratch-prone plastc-back) iPhone 3G/3GS, and (rubber-bottomed/smudge-magnet) MacBook ?

Apple designers often seem far more concerned with (trendy) aesthetics than practicality when it comes to the substrates they use.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 46 of 257
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    I bet you guys $1M is isn't thinner than 11.6mm at its thickest point. These guys are guessing, they haven't seen it. It will be aluminum and "shaped" more like the 3G. These guys are basically suggesting it won't have a curved back, and I think their "guess" is wrong.
  • Reply 47 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrabu View Post

I predict it will look more like a painter's pallet but with a screen on it instead of well's of paint so that you can more easily hold it while working on it with the other hand.

That's an interesting one. I was thinking it would have another touch-sensitive area on the backside of a rectangular device, but that would seem confusing to the user.
  • Reply 48 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]How is this any different than the vast majority of Apple's recent designs e.g chrome-back iPod Classic and iPod Touch, (scratch-prone plastc-back) iPhone 3G/3GS, and (rubber-bottomed/smudge-magnet) MacBook ?

Apple designers often seem far more concerned with (trendy) aesthetics than practicality when it comes to the substrates they use.[/CENTER]

It was not created by Apple but by a rumor monger.
  • Reply 49 of 257
    Quote:

Glad to see you're still here!

Yes that apple design is terribad, which is why the rest of the industry waits for them to launch then copies them. \
  • Reply 50 of 257
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

His iMac screen is just too glossy...

hahahaha! good one...
  • Reply 51 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Glad to see you're still here!

Yes that apple design is terribad, which is why the rest of the industry waits for them to launch then copies them. \

[CENTER]We obviously have much different perceptions as to what constitutes 'copying'.

I guess that's why the iPhone shares an aesthetic remarkably reminiscent of a scaled-down version of the Hp Compaq TC1XXX (circa 2003), because the Windows world was eagerly waiting for Apple to release a tablet computer first.

Have A Nice Day[/CENTER]
  • Reply 52 of 257
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Please, NO HOME BUTTON! At least, not on the front side.
  • Reply 53 of 257
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    My curiosity is piqued, I have to admit. I hadn't considered this thing also having Cell capability. How funny is that. We went from huge cell phones in the 70's, to marvels like the iPhone, and I can now see someone pulling a tablet out of their bag to make a call

If any of you remembers this like I do, you're too old...

• Reply 54 of 257
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    The 27th can't get here fast enough
  • Reply 55 of 257
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I bet you guys $1M is isn't thinner than 11.6mm at its thickest point. These guys are guessing, they haven't seen it. It will be aluminum and "shaped" more like the 3G. These guys are basically suggesting it won't have a curved back, and I think their "guess" is wrong.

3G and 3Gs have a flat back, with curved edges.

I think a nice narrow wedge like the bottom half of an Air would be cool and give it a "handedness" myself, but we won't really know till we see it anyway.

Given that we know it will probably be a flat square with a screen on the front and buttons around the edges though, predictions about what it will look like are a big waste of time IMO. The hardware is really not that important in terms of predictions and the software is really telling, and really important.

I think Ireland is wrong about it being desktop OS-X on it and I think solipsism is wrong about it being a whole new OS in between the desktop and iPhone. IMO it will just be iPhone OS 4.0.

Predictions are just a silly game though and we'll all know soon enough. It doesn't matter that much to me if I'm totally wrong as long as the device itself works well and does what I want it to. Apple designs really good stuff, I'm sure it will be great even if it's not exactly what we all want.
  • Reply 56 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Please, NO HOME BUTTON! At least, not on the front side.

[CENTER]Not even a 'virtual' HOME button that changes with device orientation?

The HOME button is an essential element to the entire Apple iPhone/Touch OS as it provides an 'iDiot proof' means of returning the app-selection screen.

I'd venture that the HOME button will be a huge part of this design... We'll See Soon Enough.

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 57 of 257
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Have A Nice Day

1) This is not a tablet computer

2) Apple has never made anything like this so how is it "copying"?
  • Reply 58 of 257
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Someone posted this on slashdot. You know you've got the UI down when a 1 year old can figure it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVt2ZcrWUY&feature=player_embedded

Pretty good stuff..lol

I think I would actually prefer the iPhone UI or something similar for a tablet.
  • Reply 59 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Someone posted this on slashdot. You know you've got the UI down when a 1 year old can figure it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVt2ZcrWUY&feature=player_embedded

Pretty good stuff..lol

I think I would actually prefer the iPhone UI or something similar for a tablet.

[CENTER]This is understandable when the UI appears to be inspired by a stack of children's blocks arranged in a grid pattern.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but a testament to the fact that the iPhone/Touch OS caters to the absolute lowest intellectual standard.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 60 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

1) This is not a tablet computer

2) Apple has never made anything like this so how is it "copying"?

[CENTER]Keep telling yourself that, but the design/aesthetic similarities between this 'tablet/slate/convertible' and the design of the iPhone/Touch (and probably Apple's upcoming iSlate/iPad) are quite obvious to anyone not peering through Apple-colored glasses.

'Borrowing' the basic designs of industry pioneers is nothing new in this environment.[/CENTER]