iPhone App Store developers find ways to profit from pirates

Comments

• Reply 41 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I can tether, with no jailbreak.

What about developers, who have their work stolen and have to make up for it by plying pirates with more ads, ads which legitimate owners also have to put up with.

Jailbreaking enables pirates!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daratbastid View Post

what about tethering?

• Reply 42 of 139
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Use image as wallpaper? WTF are you taking about?

No, I?m not willing to give up AppleCare support, but I willing take the nearly non-existant risk that I?ll have to give my phone to Apple for repair without being able to restore the OS.

Unexpected, eh? It's always simple with Apple products. Everything is always just simple as that.

You're taking that risk for nothing. You're stealing Apple's intellectual property for nothing. For absolutely nothing.
  • Reply 43 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post

Please don't paint all jailbreakers as pirates. I use a jailbroken device but I don't pirate any apps. I buy my apps from the Apple App Store and I use free and paid apps from Cydia.

I'm in the same boat. I jailbroke so I could have apps that let me answer an SMS without leaving the app I'm currently in. I am able to customize the look and feel of my springboard, and I can change the damn SMS tones now. I have adblock as well, which is huge on the slow and laggy cell phone data network. I also have my phone auto-silent at night. There's a lot of interface improvements that you can only get with a jailbreak. I have bought a ton of iTunes apps (including tomtom), and I've bought a bunch of apps from cydia. I have zero pirated apps.

Jailbreak is about control for me, not stealing apps. Hopefully OS4.0 will fix all the things that I fixed via a jailbreak, but I doubt it.

Sheldon
  • Reply 44 of 139
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I thought he had to be joking as well. I couldn't stand using my phone without some of the jailbroken options for SMS. If I really had to close the app being used and open the messaging app every time I had an SMS come in, I would have thrown the phone out the window. I also love being able to run Pandora in the background using Music Controls. I was using Cycorder but now that Apple has allowed App Store equivalents, I have purchased two to replace it. (Qik Video and iVideocamera)

The other reality is that I run my iPhone on Tmobile. I'll wait on the next announcement to decide whether to bring the family over to AT&T and go with them. Verizon has made it a lot easier to ponder with their strange mandatory data plans for feature phones and their elimination of Connect and Select plans. In the meantime though Jailbreaking allows me to have 1000 minutes and unlimited text and data for $65.

I don't steal any apps and the claims by some here that someone would steal a $.99 app and then spend $10 in game makes no sense. It is divorced from reality and shows that jailbreaking doesn't equal pirating.
  • Reply 45 of 139
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Unexpected, eh? It's always simple with Apple products. Everything is always just simple as that.

You're taking that risk for nothing. You're stealing Apple's intellectual property for nothing. For absolutely nothing.

Now you aren?t even responding to the post you are quoting. I have no idea what you are on about, especially with stealing Apple?s IP and what the term ?nothing? means when several posters have pointed out uses, almost all legal, for jailbreaking an device.
  • Reply 46 of 139
    Thieves from Ubuntu land! You do not know the functionality of Apple products. You can not use Apple products.

Once more for Ubuntu users:

Mobile Safari - web page of Internet radio - playback - QT controls - quit Safari - multitasking

• Reply 47 of 139
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    I've seen some pretty cool things on a jailbroken iphone, there definitely is an appeal. I still won't jailbreak mine, even if it's just a soft break which I can revert without an affect to my Apple Care... my boss has tried to convince to jailbreak it but I just won't, I like official stuff only.
  • Reply 48 of 139
    Quote:

Now you aren’t even responding to the post you are quoting. I have no idea what you are on about, especially with stealing Apple’s IP and what the term ‘nothing’ means when several posters have pointed out uses, almost all legal, for jailbreaking an device.

You want response to WTF?

Here's the response: jailbreaking is illegal and means stealing Apple's IP. It's now the extreme utmost stupidity, too.
  • Reply 49 of 139
    Quote:

Thieves from Ubuntu land! You do not know the functionality of Apple products. You can not use Apple products.

Once more for Ubuntu users:

Mobile Safari - web page of Internet radio - playback - QT controls - quit Safari - multitasking

lmfao your a nut

looks like someone started the celebration of the itablet a bit early
  • Reply 50 of 139
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    The $450 million claim for loss to piracy was debunked almost as soon as it was made.I'm sure there's piracy but the numbers quoted by those "analysts" had no more substance than smoke.

Please don't keep repeating these worn-out piracy claims unless the claimants provide more evidence for their numbers
  • Reply 51 of 139
    Quote:

You want response to WTF?

Here's the response: jailbreaking is illegal and means stealing Apple's IP. It's now the extreme utmost stupidity, too.

What IP was stolen? What is illegal about devs creating software for a jailbroken iPhone? (obviously these questions are rhetorical and your only response will be that it leads to stealing App Store apps, but by that logic creating the App Store app leads to it being stolen)
  • Reply 52 of 139
    Quote:

Frankly, it's amazing like everything, which Apple does. Apple's eliminated absolutely all reasons to jailbreak. Under present conditions jailbreaking is clear sign of being rationally inept. And thieves jailbreak nevertheless! Unbelievable.

When you get expose like window viewing, multi page docks, the option to change the grids for icons, a drop down settings toggle, themeing, widgets, and cover flow contacts, then you will have a valid argument. I've been Jailbreaking since Firmware 1.2 and have never once pirated an app.
  • Reply 53 of 139
    Quote:

What IP was stolen?

Apple's IP was stolen.

Quote:

What is illegal about devs creating software for a jailbroken iPhone? (obviously these questions are rhetorical and your only response will be that it leads to stealing App Store apps, but by that logic creating the App Store app leads to it being stolen)

They don't pass Apple's approval. So, they willingly harm Apple products.
  • Reply 54 of 139
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Oh, thieves can't live a single day without their bellyaching.

Mod +1 Funny
  • Reply 55 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

When you get expose like window viewing, multi page docks, the option to change the grids for icons, a drop down settings toggle, themeing, widgets, and cover flow contacts, then you will have a valid argument. I've been Jailbreaking since Firmware 1.2 and have never once pirated an app.

You're a thief. Period.
  • Reply 56 of 139
    Thieves are just laughing bags.

App Store is stuffed full with apps presenting contacts in cover flows and in 3D. And ubuntists are still mumbling about their Cydia crap.
  • Reply 57 of 139
    Quote:

Apple's IP was stolen.

They don't pass Apple's approval. So, they willingly harm Apple products.

At the risk of getting a warning from the Mods for a personal attack? You?re a fraking idiot.
  • Reply 58 of 139
    Reported.
  • Reply 59 of 139
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    I've jailbroken my own phone solely for the SBSettings. I can swipe across the menu bar and have access to turn on and off wireless, 3g. It's stupid to have to go into three levels of menu to turn off wireless and the applications that I use (Runkeeper, in particular) suggest doing so before using location logging. If Apple offered this kind of functionality then I there would be no reason to jailbreak for my own circumstances.

However, I don't see the same people frothing about hackintoshes complaining about jailbreaking. Both violate the EULA, do they not?
  • Reply 60 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I'm assuming the most jail broken and pirated apps occur in China, where street vendors compete with each other who has the most to offer.

A 20lb bag of rice that can make 1000 meals sells for $10 in the U.S. (less in China), works out to be about 1¢ a meal.

99¢ = 99 meals in China. Meat and veggies are a compliment to rice, perhaps only eaten once per day.

So to a average American, 99¢ might not mean too much.

They do tend to save up to get a jail broken iPhone, so they can get online and talk free over wifi.

If you can't afford payed application, simply do not buy iPhone