Apple stands by AT&T as an iPhone partner

Comments

• Reply 81 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

FIOS? FTTH?

Do either of these make my iPhone better?

As you imply, not one damn bit.
  • Reply 82 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TammyT View Post

No. You just live/work/drive only in the VERY small parts of the USA that have AT&T 3G coverage.

The majority of the country has *NONE*.

http://vzwmap.verizonwireless.com/do...comparison.pdf

how much does it really matter if you can't get 3G coverage in places like this

• Reply 83 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Can you remind us the benefits of sticking with a single carrier in the U.S.?" ][/url][/c]

Well, AT&T allows me to talk and access the internet at the same time. How is that for an advantage.

AT&T 3G is faster than Verizon's 3G because AT&T can do 7.2 Mbps HSDPA which Verizon will never be able to do with their 3G technology. They only hope to match AT&T with 4G in the future. How is that for another advantage.

I love my AT&T. They said yes to Apple when Verizon said No. Apple should stick by AT&T.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 84 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Or how about this?

GET ME OUTTA HERE!!! Ah, damn, no signal...
  • Reply 85 of 108
    Quote:

> "We think iPhone customers are having a great experience from the

> research we've done,"

Huh?

If you live/work/drive in 80% of the country... you have *NO* 3G coverage with AT&T at all.

Look at Sprints map. With a map like that, how are they not a competitor for the iphone? And they are getting 4G internet before anyone else.
  • Reply 86 of 108
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    A Verizon phone would have no signal in Indonesia at all which is where that photo was taken.

If you look at these maps:-

It seems that AT&T has better coverage in Hawaii, which is where you might run into a situation like this in the US.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doug Halfen View Post

Or how about this?

GET ME OUTTA HERE!!! Ah, damn, no signal...

• Reply 87 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

No offense, but you really need to turn off the television and get out of the house more often.

I like these posts,

"No Offense" and then go on to make a retarded statement. You wouldn't be Bill Polian from Indianapolis would you? He's an ass too....
  • Reply 88 of 108
    Quote:

AT&T has acknowledged they're having a few issues in a few cities and they're making plans to address these.

1. Every single City; in fact, anywhere there's a reasonable density of human beings who might own smart phones. (Proper cities, conventions, resorts, etc)

2. making plans? This has been a capital-I Issue for 2 years.

The plans should have been made back when they saw usage spiking alongside sales and the rollout should've already started.
  • Reply 89 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

One would think that the radios on existing iPhones could be firmware updateable to enable the extra frequency, but that would be too much forward thinking, huh?! :-(

THIS is what I hate about Apple planned obsolescence...

Not necessarily. You forgot about antenna. If the wrong antenna is in the phone, you can't software upgrade a hardware device.
  • Reply 90 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marielox View Post

Verizon would never work with an apple device because of the restriction they would want or the control they want with the device. For example, verizon won't let apple make billions of dollars on their itunes app store and not get a cut of it. At&t gets no money of app revenue, verizon would want some.

What restrictions have been applied to Android-based phones and Android market, huh?
  • Reply 91 of 108
    Quote:

No. You just live/work/drive only in the VERY small parts of the USA that have AT&T 3G coverage.

The majority of the country has *NONE*.

Time to get back to work at the Verizon Kiosk at the mall, eh TammyT? ATT works for me in LA plus I have the best phone.
  • Reply 92 of 108
    qrpqrp Posts: 1member
    T-Mobile is GSM same as AT&T - in fact a number of people have used jail broken iPhones on T-Mobile.

If T-Mobile offer their app to automatically switch a call to WI-FI in low signal area for iPhone and especially if they offer tethering, I am there. I will pay off AT&T and never look back.
  • Reply 93 of 108
    enoeno Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Considering it looks a lot like that where I live. Yes, it does matter and I have full 3g coverage with Verizon (avg speed is 1.5Mb down 700kb up). ATT has 0, nada, zilch service here (not even 2G GSM). But that is not really what I wanted to post....

An Apple corporate representative was present at a work MUG meeting today (we buy a lot of Apple products). The issue of employees being able to use iPhones instead of Blackberries came up and the representative said that not only is Apple is working with ATT to get them to fix the network hole but an alternate carrier might be possible in the future (the only data-capable carrier in the area is Verizon). He also mentioned that the ATT contract was up on Jan 1, 2010.

I can't provide prove the representative said any of this, I am just repeating what he said so take it with a grain of salt.
  • Reply 94 of 108
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I like these posts,

"No Offense" and then go on to make a retarded statement. You wouldn't be Bill Polian from Indianapolis would you? He's an ass too....

It's not nearly as retarded as using an advertisement as the basis for fact like OP did.

No, I'm not Bill Polian either, although I'm more inclined to label Jim Irsay as the ass instead of Polian.
  • Reply 95 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QRP View Post

T-Mobile is GSM same as AT&T - in fact a number of people have used jail broken iPhones on T-Mobile.

If T-Mobile offer their app to automatically switch a call to WI-FI in low signal area for iPhone and especially if they offer tethering, I am there. I will pay off AT&T and never look back.

Different frequencies making them incompatible.
  • Reply 96 of 108
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

.... and here is the result if you do give the rabbits 3G ... OK just a bit of fun... they are not doing that badly

• Reply 97 of 108
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    The operating profit for Verizon Wireless is $4.3 billion for Q4.
  • Reply 98 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marielox View Post

Why are t-mobile and verizon the only ones in the running?

Verizon would never work with an apple device because of the restriction they would want or the control they want with the device. For example, verizon won't let apple make billions of dollars on their itunes app store and not get a cut of it. At&t gets no money of app revenue, verizon would want some.

Has anyone ever talked about t-mobiles internet service??? Everyone has something to say about at&t, do you really think t-mobile is any better, if anything, worse.

Sprint has nationwide coverage, their EVDO internet is very large, and they are the first company with 4G internet that is rolling out nationwide in less than 5 months, and is already in a lot of places currents.

I think Sprint needs to get looked at also.

Er, Verizon doesn't get anything, ZERO, from the Android apps..... So why would they treat Apple any differently than they treat Google?
  • Reply 99 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

.... and here is the result if you do give the rabbits 3G ... OK just a bit of fun... they are not doing that badly

Er, maybe Verizon doesn't need the iPhone that badly.... BTW, I'd rather have braod 3G coverage than have something as useless as talk & surf the web at the same time... people's telephone manners are already rude & disrespectful enough w/o surfing & yapping at the same time (assuming AT&T's network can even keep the call up that long! )

Verizon Wireless benefited from the strong momentum surrounding the Motorola Droid and other smartphones during the fourth quarter holiday buying season. The company reported a quarterly revenues of $15.7 billion, up 22.5 percent from $12.8 billion in the year-ago quarter. Service revenues totaled $13.5 billion, also up 22.5 percent from $11.1 billion last year. In addition, the company added 2.2 million net new wireless subscribers, handily surpassing market expectations.

Subscribers: Verizon ended the quarter with a total of 91.2 million wireless subscribers, up 26.6 percent from the year-ago quarter. The carrier had 1.2 million retail net subscriber additions in quarter and ended the period with 87.5 million retail customers, which was up 25 percent from the fourth quarter of 2008.

Churn: Total churn for the quarter was 1.42 percent, up from 1.35 percent in the fourth quarter of 2008, but down from 1.49 percent in the third quarter of 2009. Retail postpaid churn was 1.06 percent.
  • Reply 100 of 108
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirelesstestman View Post

Er, Verizon doesn't get anything, ZERO, from the Android apps..... So why would they treat Apple any differently than they treat Google?

Google never denied the possibility of revenue-sharing with Verizon.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/06/and...ss-google.html