Purported Apple tablet pictures leak at last minute

Comments

• Reply 41 of 137
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnygadget View Post

For Steve Jobs to say "It's the most important thing I've ever done", it has to be as big if not bigger than the iMac, iPod and iPhone. Maybe he means that he will save the dying print publishing industry by making such a device?

and i'm sure the healthy pr0n industry will find uses!
  • Reply 42 of 137
    Why does everyone in this thread keep talking about the "case" in the photo? That's obviously just how it's "bolted down." Read the article!

Anyway, Apple itself has to be the source of most leaks, because if I were an employee, why the hell would I risk my job? Especially in this economy.
  • Reply 43 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

It looks like it's clamped down in a sort of vice thing to stop you removing it fro the desk is all.

Well of course that's what it is. You'd have to be an idiot to not figure that out.
  • Reply 44 of 137
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

No way it is a Verizon only product.

That would alienate more than 25 million iPhone users (US) and eliminate any global sales.

Carrier subsrciptions aren't mutually exclusive except within the device itself. Sure, if would be small pain to have a seperate account to maintain, but the cost between carrier wouldn't likely be different. Personally, I'd rather have AT&T for speed but I'll be happy with any 3G option.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

But damn, the price of a MacBook? Say it ain't so.

$799 unsubsidised. That's all I ask for.

I'd think that making the default price the same as the MacBook causes buyer confusion as I doubt Apple wants this device look like an accessory device, not a replacement to your notebook. I'm still holding for a top price, without storage capacity increase, of $899, but I suppose it ultimately depends on the cost to make plus Apple's target profit, not simply what we think is ideal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

maybe they put the edge on there like you see the car companies add funky panels to cover up new designs on their test models.

Hehe It does look like those test cars.

Speaking of, I would love to see Apple go after the car market. We've seen MacMini's turned into car A/V systems. I'm sure this will happen very quickly with the tablet. But that is merely after-market; I'd like to see something more official. Where you car's diagnostic info can get uploaded go your home compurlter and your playlists will be auto-synced back to your PC's iTunes account and even some cool Smart Playlsts that work like Nike+ in that they adjust according to the outside tempature, time of day or speed.
  • Reply 45 of 137
    daveyjjdaveyjj Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scmartinez View Post

I think its some type of case for security, so no one takes it.

Bingo. It's screwed down in a case to a testing desk. The unusual screws are an added layer of security to ensure anyone even thinking of walking into that (very secure) room at Apple and swiping it, or more likely simply unscrewing it for a better photo, with your average Philips or slot screwdriver is going to be sorely mistaken.

And I'm guessing, sadly now, that it will be only a US launch right now. Here in Canada the idea of Bell or Rogers offering unlimited data plans for a device that is, essentially, an always on window to your media/data/information, is insane. AT&T maybe get by offering $30/month unlimited, Rogers charges $60 for 2GB. I really want Steve to prove me wrong, somehow .... my credit card is ready.
  • Reply 46 of 137
    Quote:

maybe they put the edge on there like you see the car companies add funky panels to cover up new designs on their test models.

I see what you mean, but I'm really talking about the internal bezels (one glass, one maybe plastic), not the third one with the screws...
  • Reply 47 of 137
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    These look like odd prototypes to me. It looks like they were still a hands on method to find the most ideal size and aspect ratio.

What is with the late white blocks?

Quote:

That would alienate more than 25 million iPhone users (US) and eliminate any global sales.

Carrier subsrciptions aren't mutually exclusive except within the device itself. Sure, if would be small pain to have a seperate account to maintain, but the cost between carrier wouldn't likely be different. Personally, I'd rather have AT&T for speed but I'll be happy with any 3G option.

Quote:

But damn, the price of a MacBook? Say it ain't so.

$799 unsubsidised. That's all I ask for.

I'd think that making the default price the same as the MacBook causes buyer confusion as I doubt Apple wants this device look like an accessory device, not a replacement to your notebook. I'm still holding for a top price, without storage capacity increase, of $899, but I suppose it ultimately depends on the cost to make plus Apple's target profit, not simply what we think is ideal.

Quote:

Hehe It does look like those test cars.

Speaking of, I would love to see Apple go after the car market. We've seen MacMini's turned into car A/V systems. I'm sure this will happen very quickly with the tablet. But that is merely after-market; I'd like to see something more official. Where you car's diagnostic info can get uploaded go your home compurlter and your playlists will be auto-synced back to your PC's iTunes account and even some cool Smart Playlsts that work

like Nike+ in that they adjust according to the outside tempature, time of day or speed.
  • Reply 48 of 137
    Quote:

and i'm sure the healthy pr0n industry will find uses!

10 finger gestures on a ten inch high def screen. hm.....
  • Reply 49 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Looks like a prototype, it is too industrial looking. I am betting it not the final product, they probably made those for testing purposes and the real one will look different. Apple has been know to do this and use old product IDs for new designs to hide what they were doing and also cut costs on prototypes

However the one picture on the desk looks like it from apple's campus, the rugs on the floor look like the rug when I was last on their campus

Well, then, it's expected that a prototype would be in Apple's campus, right? That doesn't invalidate your theory, and I really expect it to be right, because I definitely didn't like the screen bezel. Looks so 1980s.
  • Reply 50 of 137
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Speaking of, I would love to see Apple go after the car market. We've seen MacMini's turned into car A/V systems. I'm sure this will happen very quickly with the tablet. But that is merely after-market; I'd like to see something more official. Where you car's diagnostic info can get uploaded go your home compurlter and your playlists will be auto-synced back to your PC's iTunes account and even some cool Smart Playlsts that work

like Nike+ in that they adjust according to the outside tempature, time of day or speed.

Ditto. I can picture Apple teaming up with someone like BMW and designing the next iteration of their iDrive system. If I recall, BMW was one of the first car manufacturers to offer a factory iPod integration kit.
  • Reply 51 of 137
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

Agreed. To be honest, despite the vitriol we heard on some of these forums, I think hand writing recognition for a tablet makes a lot of sense. With an iPhone, Blackberry etc...thumb typing works quite well because you can easily get your thumbs across the entire keyboard while holding with two hands. With the larger form factor of a tablet type device I don't think that will work well - you'll likely be holding with one hand and typing with the other. Now I know some people are good "one hand typists" but sadly I don't think it is really efficient. If I have to put the tablet down to type on it then that is not really practical. Also if I put it on my lap to type the ergonomics of trying to type and read the screen is horrible. So I actually do hope there is a stylus interface. Plus then as some people speculated the iWhatever could function as a Waacom type device for your Mac through bluetooth which would make it a MUCH more attractive device for me.

Think about it - the tablet syncs automatically by bluetooth to your Mac. You use it as the main input device (ie mouse) while you are at your Mac. At the end of the day as you go to leave it syncs the info to your tablet and then you take it home with you with all your work. That would be way cool in my opinion.

• Reply 52 of 137
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnygadget View Post

For Steve Jobs to say "It's the most important thing I've ever done", it has to be as big if not bigger than the iMac, iPod and iPhone. Maybe he means that he will save the dying print publishing industry by making such a device?

First of all, we don't know if he said that. It was reported third hand knowledge on a rumors site.

But assuming it is true, it is likely he meant that the product will have a positive impact on society, not that it'll be a massive commercial success or technological advancement.

Steve is getting up their in years and had a brush with mortality. Typically when this happens, wealthy individuals tend to become more concerned with "nobel" causes rather than power and wealth mongering. While he certainly still wants to make money, it is likely that when he said "important" that he meant it was a contribution to society.

So just how is a tablet an important contribution to public welfare? If it becomes standard for students of all ages, it will transform education completely. The switch from physical "text books" to electronic learning material, is an absolutely massive development in the course of human history. It will forever change how knowledge is passed from one generation to another. This product may initiate or expedite that paradigm shit. _That_ is what would make it the most important thing he's ever done. (If he even uttered those words in the first place)
  • Reply 53 of 137
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

The "rivets"/"bolts" are probably the magnets or something that holds the glass in place, like the iMac or something like that. I think. Not sure. Could be wrong.

Quote:

i'm thinking legit. I doubt the bezel/case is how it appears there, probably a prototype, though the extra edge would make for an easier to carry device.

That is very most likely a kind of security screw. I haven't seen a rivet like that, but I think I've seen security screws like that. It looks to me something to prevent theft, prevent anyone from seeing what's inside the case or seeing what the rest of the product looks like.

Quote:

Verizon only wouldn't work for Apple, but there are chipsets that handle multiple standards, so you could use the same device on Verizon's network and it's still usable elsewhere in the world.
  • Reply 54 of 137
    If these specs are true this thing is going to be amazing. Love the solar recharging and everything else discussed in this article!

http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/27/tech...ce=yahoo_quote
  • Reply 55 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

How cool! a 10 inch iPod touch that can also read books and magazines!!!! It's what I've always wanted...and I will have the privilege of spending $1000 to own one!

Apple is truly the most innovating company in the world...this jumbo ipod touch is going to REVOLUTIONIZE EVERYTHING. Nothing will ever be the same again after people can finally use an ipod in 10 inch size! And maybe it will even come with a paint app that allows me to paint with my fingers on the screen like in a real canvas but like...on a screen tablet!!!! OMG! And all for a mere $999???

Amazing!!!

Im picking up on your sarcasm
  • Reply 56 of 137
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrowncoatJedi View Post

Well of course that's what it is. You'd have to be an idiot to not figure that out.

...might be a prototype case from Belkin to prevent you picking it up by the corners and cracking the glass
  • Reply 57 of 137
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

It looks like it's clamped down in a sort of vice thing to stop you removing it fro the desk is all.

Yeah, if it's real, it has the appearance of being taken right in Apple headquarters in one of the areas where only need to know employees are allowed.

So if it's real, someone is in a world of trouble. It should be fairly easy to figure out who it was and what they've done (if they've done it), is a felony.
  • Reply 58 of 137
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]When I posted these in here last night, the naysayers refused to believe their authenticity.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=106538&page=2

We'll See How Accurate They Are In A Few Short Hours... [/CENTER]
  • Reply 59 of 137
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Maybe something more similar to Microsoft's Origami concept keyboard.

Here's an image.

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/s...origami_02.jpg

Obviously Apple would do it properly, and not just overlay the keyboard on a pointless desktop OS. But you get the idea -- a keyboard similar to the iPhone one, but split in two.

Personally, I don't see it as much of a problem. For the uses I'd have, I don't see me doing much more typing than you would do on an iPhone. I'm not one of those wanting to run full MS Office or CS4 on this thing!
  • Reply 60 of 137
    Clearly it is not "bolted down" as some people are claiming. Unless they bolted it down on the piss on purpose.