Purported Apple tablet pictures leak at last minute

Comments

• Reply 101 of 137
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr_cazorp View Post

Wow, I hope not. If I have to sync this thing to iTunes to get the full benefit of the device then that's a total dealbreaker.

This better NOT be an accessory, but rather a new paradigm - and a standalone paradigm at that.

Well, you've got to get your existing content on there somehow...
  • Reply 102 of 137
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomHicks View Post

Well clearly there is some sort of extra housing on it for security purposes. I don't actually think that's it.

My point still stands - if it were just for testing the touchscreen, why would they cut out space for the home button and something else at the top?

You can have your cigar back.

[CENTER]Maybe...

To allow full device functionality?

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 103 of 137
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

Cool - must admit had not seen that before - not a bad idea.

That concept has been around for years. I've certainly posted similar pics using the logical curved keyboard. Apple even has a patent for it. it just makes sense.

Here are some other examples...
  • Reply 104 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

He can just as easily claim that Apple sent him a 'decoy' product to test. Or whatever. Costs nothing to mouth off like this, but generates a lot of buzz for him (as we can see).

Did you read his "claims", 2 cameras one front facing for video conferencing, sounds like he's just spouting off a lot of shit that won't happen and then bag on it more, but hey whatever doesn't affect me one bit.

A big iphone, 800 for so bucks, something to surf the web on while watching tv etc., i'm onboard, I already sit there and play games on my iPhone or iTouch while watching tv, might as well have a decent screen to do it on. I'm pretty sure there are millions of other people that feel the same way as I do.
  • Reply 105 of 137
    Quote:

Wow, I hope not. If I have to sync this thing to iTunes to get the full benefit of the device then that's a total dealbreaker.

This better NOT be an accessory, but rather a new paradigm - and a standalone paradigm at that.

[CENTER]I'm pretty certain that you're going to be extremely disappointed in a couple of hours, as this device will be completely tied into the existing iTunes ecosystem.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 106 of 137
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Absolutely no way Apple would design a product with a keyboard like that. Apple designs products for regular people not some small percentage of keyboard geeks.

The whole idea behind the iPhone platform is coming up with a better way to do mobile computing that even your mum can use easily. Split-screen weirdo keyboards that only a tiny percentage of even computer literate could even operate are just not on the menu.

Whatever it is it has to be a simpler keyboard entry system, not a harder one.
  • Reply 107 of 137
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:

Well, I don't have to plug my Apple TV into my MacBook... And all my non-Media data is synced via MobileMe on my Touch. And Apps and iTunes media can be bought direct from both my Touch and Apple TV (well, not Apps, not right now anyway).

So, I think the tablet (iBook?? Please...) can be pretty much standalone without having to do anything new.
  • Reply 108 of 137

My favorite Duke moment, when you find the duke pinball machine and he says "No time to play with myself now"
  • Reply 109 of 137
    Quote:

By accessory, I don't mean peripheral. The iPhone stands alone as a new paradigm in mobile computing, but it's still an accessory to a PC. I can't see a 10" display replacing a full-sized computer. Hell, netbooks can't even do that and they don't have their input mucking up the usable screen space. If you expect this to replace your PC then prepare to be disappointed.
  • Reply 110 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

He can just as easily claim that Apple sent him a 'decoy' product to test. Or whatever. Costs nothing to mouth off like this, but generates a lot of buzz for him (as we can see).

True, guess we'll see soon. Some of his predictions do seem lofty the more I read over them.. hard to tell but what a colossal ass he'd be to intentionally skew details simply to bash Apple.. poor character to say the least.
  • Reply 111 of 137
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Absolutely no way Apple would design a product with a keyboard like that. Apple designs products for regular people not some small percentage of keyboard geeks.

The whole idea behind the iPhone platform is coming up with a better way to do mobile computing that even your mum can use easily. Split-screen weirdo keyboards that only a tiny percentage of even computer literate could even operate are just not on the menu.

Considering that Apple has patented a similar design for use on touch screens, Apple can't think that it is as bad as you claim it is.

Something has to be developed and short of holding the keyboard flat on a table, a split keyboard makes the most sense when holding the device with two hands.
  • Reply 112 of 137
    I'm actually getting a chuckle over the whole "Well that's just ugly" and the "Damn your stupid if you do not realise that is a security case/prototype case". What's going to make me laugh is if SJ actually brings this thing out today and it looks EXACTLY like the picture
  • Reply 113 of 137
    Quote:

I'm actually getting a chuckle over the whole "Well that's just ugly" and the "Damn your stupid if you do not realise that is a security case/prototype case". What's going to make me laugh is if SJ actually brings this thing out today and it looks EXACTLY like the picture

No the funny thing would be that apple would pull it off and in 2 months every other company would come out with something that was the same form factor, maybe the security screws would be in different positions though
  • Reply 114 of 137
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

it might be nice to have a device that isn't frail like the iphone/itouch so the heavy case might be welcome. but the screws are pretty random, so I"m thinking not.
  • Reply 115 of 137
    Quote:

[CENTER]Somehow I just don't believe that will happen...

Oversized IPhone = Yes

Oversized iPhone In Body Armor = Absolutely Not[/CENTER]
  • Reply 116 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you expect this to replace your PC then prepare to be disappointed.

I am. But "replace" is a very broad word. I'm not looking to buy this and throw away my ThinkPad. But I could easily take a subset of the things I do with a PC and transfer them to a device like this tablet and end up with a standalone product that never needs to know about anything else I own (except maybe a printer or an iPod) and still be extremely useful. We'll know in a bit.
  • Reply 117 of 137
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

No the funny thing would be that apple would pull it off and in 2 months every other company would come out with something that was the same form factor, maybe the security screws would be in different positions though

You mean, like on a Zune HD?
  • Reply 118 of 137
    APPLE tablet will kill other company's tablets' as soon as it is out without asking , like microsoft islate. apple REinvents the tablet again while MICROSOFT re-bring the rubbish but adds so-called two touches baby muti-touch!

SEE what happen today
  • Reply 119 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Which is why a curved, split keyboard that allows your thumbs to travel every key just as easily as you can on an iPhone makes sense. That's the way the "let's make the keyboard QWERTY and slap it across the the display so I can I have to hold the device with one hand while typing with one hand or have to set it down to type" mockups so commonly shown are ultimately a failed concept. Now, I don't think that type of keyboard won't be included, just not when holding the device in your hands.

Quote:

I am. But "replace" is a very broad word. I'm not looking to buy this and throw away my ThinkPad. But I could easily take a subset of the things I do with a PC and transfer them to a device like this tablet and end up with a standalone product that never needs to know about anything else I own (except maybe a printer or an iPod) and still be extremely useful. We'll know in a bit.

What you're describing is then an ACCESSORY to your computing habits, not a replacements, the same way the iPhone has become an accessory computing device but hasn't replaced a PC.

PS: My MBP was out of commission once and I tried just using my iPhone. It was a PITA after a week so I went to Wal-Mart and bought a Acer netbook. Still a PITA but less so for basic "PC-like" computing.
  • Reply 120 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

By accessory, I don't mean peripheral. The iPhone stands alone as a new paradigm in mobile computing, but it's still an accessory to a PC. I can't see a 10" display replacing a full-sized computer. Hell, netbooks can't even do that and they don't have their input mucking up the usable screen space. If you expect this to replace your PC then prepare to be disappointed.

Well I guess that means we agree that "Slate" computing isn't going to replace notebooks anytime soon.