Purported Apple tablet pictures leak at last minute

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 137
    Pardon the length of this post but as I have been tracking the dialogue on this forum I have not seen the community touch on the things that have been occupying my brain cycles in relation to Apple?s event.

This announcement Its about far more than a tablet.

This will be creation of a complete media eco-system for individuals, family units and their wider socially connected networks. This is the aligning of a massive marketplace for absolutely ALL creators, distributers and sellers of content from individuals selling personal novels to rich media always fresh channels, to network shows and feature films and public domain web content.

What I think everybody has been missing:

At the size and scale (of what we suspect to be true) the device will have real power and storage limitations to be the sole device for content creation, long term management and storage of owned/rented media assets and precious personal digital assets (i.e. Family photos and videos as-well-as individual creative projects developed on the tablet itself.)

As a media consumption device - the necessity to both localize/cash data (for offline experience) and provide a long term approach storage of continually generated subscription content would quickly overwhelm even the most robust device. That manufacturing cost of solid state storage is an X factor above what traditional disk storage costs per MB (feel free to add a number here). We are talking about a lot of MB?s here.

In addition to the power and storage limitations, a lost, dropped or stolen device is not only the loss of the hardware, but precious and irreplaceable personal data.

Conclusion: The Tablet IS NOT a stand alone device. It works in conjunction with local hardware an cloud services that serve media to all consumption devices; Tablet, phone, laptop, TV.

Apple will introduce a network server device similar to time capsule that will serve as the center of the family media services and the data storage work horse for digital assets. This will work in combination with a massively upgraded MobileMe account where your content will be available to everyone in the ?family? locally and through the cloud, remaining in sync through WiFi and 3G

Additional predictions for the tablet that we may expect to see:
    • The tablet will also serve a a master control for your media consumption and other networked devices in your world (refrigerator, lights, HVACs, etc.). You may browse and queue up any form of content and serve it to any device in your media ecosystem and control your environment through upgraded controls in OS4.0.

• The media server will handle subscriptions with content providers, apple store and wider network of personal connections (i.e. Aunt Betty?s mobile me gallery)

• The tablet will support sophisticated awareness and sharing functions, be locationally aware of each other and support the ability to ?bump? assets to each other, run real-time networked and geo-location aware games (think virtual Frisbee across the dorm room) and related apps.

• The tablet will have front and back cameras. The front will have dual stereo cameras that will allow you to perform accurate 3D ?no-touch? jesters to control the interface and the environment.

• The tablet will support pen based input from 3d party devices. Further, using the 3d camera input along with AR and object recognition the tablet will create a whole new industry of input devices for games, content creation and productivity. This is the end of the relience on keyboard/mouse input as we know it.

• The tablet will support video conferencing. Although not in the way we traditionally expect. I believe it to be avatar based. Transferring only movement/position data through the pipes.

• Rear cameras will support HD video capture and advanced motion tracking.

• Tablet OS4 will provide significant SDK?s for augmented reality applications, including glyph/object recognition and geo located data overlays in real time. Deep support for AR experiences in travel, shopping, face recognition and

• The tablet will have native support for reading AR glyph?s, QR codes and traditional bar codes.

• OS 4.0 will include services for retail Point of Sale payment making the iPhone and Tablet the equivalent of a digital wallet.

• iLife will be upgraded to provide powerful features for the creation of creative content and self publishing.

Thank you for reading. In considering the importance of today's announcement I wanted to document my thoughts on this industry changing day with what I consider to be the best group of enthusiasts on the web.

Thanks for reading. Enjoy tablet day.!
  • Reply 122 of 137
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

APPLE tablet will kill other company's tablets' as soon as it is out without asking , like microsoft islate. apple REinvents the tablet again while MICROSOFT re-bring the rubbish but adds so-called two touches baby muti-touch!

SEE what happen today

[CENTER]It's a bit presumptuous to make such statements given that many current tablet users require a full-fledged operating system that runs all of their applications, as opposed to one that merely runs apps.

This (alleged) 'New Creation' of Apple's is a step in a different direction, and only time will tell how successful the effort will be.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 123 of 137
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Creative View Post

Pardon the length of this post but as I have been tracking the dialogue on this forum I have not seen the community touch on the things that have been occupying my brain cycles in relation to Apple’s event.

This will be creation of a complete media eco-system for individuals, family units and their wider socially connected networks. This is the aligning of a massive marketplace for absolutely ALL creators, distributers and sellers of content from individuals selling personal novels to rich media always fresh channels, to network shows and feature films and public domain web content.

What I think everybody has been missing:

At the size and scale (of what we suspect to be true) the device will have real power and storage limitations to be the sole device for content creation, long term management and storage of owned/rented media assets and precious personal digital assets (i.e. Family photos and videos as-well-as individual creative projects developed on the tablet itself.)

As a media consumption device - the necessity to both localize/cash data (for offline experience) and provide a long term approach storage of continually generated subscription content would quickly overwhelm even the most robust device. That manufacturing cost of solid state storage is an X factor above what traditional disk storage costs per MB (feel free to add a number here). We are talking about a lot of MB’s here.

In addition to the power and storage limitations, a lost, dropped or stolen device is not only the loss of the hardware, but precious and irreplaceable personal data.

Conclusion: The Tablet IS NOT a stand alone device. It works in conjunction with local hardware an cloud services that serve media to all consumption devices; Tablet, phone, laptop, TV

Thank you for reading. In considering the importance of today's announcement I wanted to document my thoughts on this industry changing day with what I consider to be the best group of enthusiasts on the web.

[CENTER]Thanks for encompassing what the more 'open minded' of us have been touting for weeks.

Only 2 more hours, and all will be known...[/CENTER]
  • Reply 124 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Meliens View Post

We all love apple products but $1000 for a big ipod touch??? no way...

Exactly. And even if it played web content besides youboob it's not worth $1000 for the logo and I am a fan
  • Reply 125 of 137
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:

Pardon the length of this post but as I have been tracking the dialogue on this forum I have not seen the community touch on the things that have been occupying my brain cycles in relation to Apple?s event.

SNIP

Excellent post -- much of which I agree with. Apple didn't drop billions on a massive new server farm just to run the App Store faster!
  • Reply 126 of 137
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Exactly. And even if it played web content besides youboob it's not worth $1000 for the logo and I am a fan

It would seem a bit steep. The announcement of the Apple (insert product name here) is only two hours away, so we'll just have to see what it really is and what the price points are. I personally think that there will be two or three price brackets just like most of their other products.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple pushes a steeper price to see what the market will bear, then ease it down later to hit their balance of price and volume.
  • Reply 127 of 137
    @ Creative. Dead on. That's how I feel and what I would have said, if I would've taken the time to type it all out. But I doubt I would have said it as eloquently as you. Well done good sir.
  • Reply 128 of 137
    Quote:

What you're describing is then an ACCESSORY to your ThinkPad.

I'd call a device an "accessory" if it depends, by design, on a connection to another device for its content or OS/Firmware updates. Once this dependency is removed, then the device is standalone, and is not an accessory to the numerous other devices in a landscape, but rather a *compliment* to them.
  • Reply 129 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That is very most likely a kind of security screw. I haven't seen a rivet like that, but I think I've seen security screws like that. It looks to me something to prevent theft, prevent anyone from seeing what's inside the case or seeing what the rest of the product looks like.

Verizon only wouldn't work for Apple, but there are chipsets that handle multiple standards, so you could use the same device on Verizon's network and it's still usable elsewhere in the world.

http://www.tamperproof-screw.com/index.html 4th from the left?
  • Reply 130 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

Wonder if there is any significance to the location in the maps app? Looked at it in google earth: Charolette Amalie, US VI. That pin takes you to a picture of a bell called "Pass and Stow"

Pass and Stow get it?
  • Reply 131 of 137
    Quote:

Pardon the length of this post ......

Good stuff. Very insightful (and offers a fistful of ideas for Apple as they implement the idea over the next 3-6 months.)
  • Reply 132 of 137
    Quote:

Pardon the length of this post ......

Good stuff. Very insightful (and offers a fistful of ideas for Apple as they implement the actual product over the next 3-6 months.)
  • Reply 133 of 137
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr_cazorp View Post

I'd call a device an "accessory" if it depends, by design, on a connection to another device for its content or OS/Firmware updates. Once this dependency is removed, then the device is standalone, and is not an accessory to the numerous other devices in a landscape, but rather a *compliment* to them.

You're thinking of accessory completely wrong. An accessory to your computing habits is not the same a peripheral accessory to your PC. Either this tablet will replace your PC, be an accessory computing device to use along with your PC, or not interest you at all.
  • Reply 134 of 137
    That black bezel may just be a security measure to conceal some of the product's dimensions.

In the auto magazines, the spy photos of upcoming models show the cars with front and rear bumbers covered in bulky black panels to disguise the their true look and dimensions.

I'm thinking that's the case here.
  • Reply 135 of 137
  • Reply 136 of 137
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Good pixel density: 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)

Wireless-N

Also appears to have an adapter to allow you to import pictures from your camera directly into the device.
  • Reply 137 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BitBurner View Post

It's called "The Tabloid" and that picture is prob a prototype in a weird housing. I've seen Apple do that with other prototypes.

Looks like your comment was, not to put too fine a point on it, wrong.