Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad'

Comments

• Reply 121 of 785
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It has productivity apps! We are witnessing the death of the mouse people. And maybe the long term replacement of the Mac.

[CENTER]Probably Not Anytime Soon... We'll See[/CENTER]
  • Reply 122 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

10 hours of "best case" battery life is pathetic. It probably won't even last 4-5 hours under heavy use. They should have made it a few ounces heavier to get at least 8 hours of battery life under heavy use, which would translate to 14-16 hours of "best case" battery life...

they said 10 hours of VIDEO USE and 1 month standby.... sheesh
  • Reply 123 of 785
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brit120666 View Post

Ever heard of cloud computing? Every large tech is going this route. My employer, fortune 100 - we are going cloud big time.

local drive > cloud computing
  • Reply 124 of 785
    Productivity apps are huge for me. Would have been a dealbreaker for me without it. Glad to see that (and iBook).

Where the heck is 3G?!
  • Reply 125 of 785
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SheldonJohnScott View Post

apple stock is tumbling. not a good sign..

That was to be expected... means nothing long term. Apple products never match the vision people have for them, they can't.
  • Reply 126 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MasterxAce View Post

they said 10 hours of VIDEO USE and 1 month standby.... sheesh

With a little help from the graphics chip, Video use may translate to 20-30% CPU utilization...
  • Reply 127 of 785
    One long ass keynote thats for sure
  • Reply 128 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Well send in a resume and start working for Apple. You want to improve it, go work for them.

maybe I will
  • Reply 129 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

you are brilliant!
  • Reply 129 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

And why the *&^@ is the bezel around the screen so flippin' wide? Apple, WTF?

That's for the next model with the 11.9 screen.
  • Reply 131 of 785
    So it really is just a giant touch? I mean a bigger screen is great and all and will allow for easier productivity, but it doesn't interface with pro aps or ATV as a touch a controller? Nor does it act like a tablet with a stylus? Nor does it have anyway of making a typing on a touch device any better? Nor an e-ink screen? How are students supposed to take notes? Writing on the capacitive touch screen doesn't really work that well so how are we supposed to use this thing to take notes in meetings or classrooms? type on a touch screen? and I don't even want to think about the lack of Ichat and a camera. How long have people been waiting for ichat on their portable.

Forget about running OSX there are basically no features beyond he IPT other than a bigger screen. If they are looking at people buying this thing and a macpro or macbook pro I think it's gonna be a hard sell.

Funny how they chose the name none of thought they'd use. Ipad? Really?

Hopefully it'll be relatively cheap considering the lack of features and dev's will write some great aps for it. Obviously Apple wants to extend the devices capabilities primarily with software.

But that brings me to the processor... why a 1 ghz A4?

Am I the only one kind of unimpressed? To me it seems they are being overly conservative with the finger works technology and mobile technology in general. Wow another content digester. Great. Really doesn't have the same soul that the newton does it?
  • Reply 132 of 785
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Probably Not Anytime Soon... We'll See[/CENTER]

Well, when the Mac first came out I'm sure mainstream thought was that the mouse was stupid and gimmicky and would never be used for serious work, but it took over. This is the same order of change. A new kind of computer that is fully touch.

Touch could be to the mouse what the mouse was to DOS.
  • Reply 133 of 785
    Hey look you can barely tell the difference between my 'mockup' in 2007 and the real deal!

(treat that with a pinch of sarcasm)
  • Reply 134 of 785
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    iPad is going to confuse the hell out of everyone in south boston where iPod is pronounced iPahhd
  • Reply 135 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Yes, it makes sense to keep a reliable copy of the data in one place as opposed to a whole bunch of unreliable copies all over the place. I am currently going through the process of upgrading my (non-Apple) work laptop to a new machine, and the pain and suffering is pretty intense...
  • Reply 136 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Productivity apps are huge for me. Would have been a dealbreaker for me without it. Glad to see that (and iBook).

Where the heck is 3G?!

Next year.

Gen 1 iphone was amazing, but iphone 3g really set the standard, especially in terms of what you get for your money. I have a feeling this ipad will follow the same sort of route, where next year it's what we want at a better price than whatever this will be.
  • Reply 137 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willlarson View Post

Wow! They made a big iPod Touch! So impressive! NOT!

"1GHz...which includes the CPU and graphics...and it screams" seems like a contradiction to me. Since when has a non-mobile device with an integrated 1 GHz been touted as screaming? I haven't seen the detailed specs yet to be 100% on my previous statement but I doubt it has multiple cores, an impressive bus, or anything of that nature.

What about the app store? Will its restrictions make it suck just like the iPhone app store? There's one other issue that I foresee. The iPad looks like it may only be compatible with one browser. I hope Microsoft and Google sue you, Apple.

Another twunt that just registered (1 post) to ditch apple. You boys are shitting your pants right now, aren't you? How many of you trolls did your companies pay off to come here and register to post your junk. You are pathetic.
  • Reply 138 of 785
    Quote:

Where the heck is 3G?!

HOORAY! 3G is there..... (breathes again).....
  • Reply 139 of 785
    Quote:

The market does not seem to think it's all that great.

Apple down $4.50, and falling......

It isn't that great.

1. Its not a game changer

2. Its nothing more then a larger iPod Touch

3. It can't work as a Mac. No version of iLife or iWorks like rumored. It has no real processing power.

4. Unlike some have mentioned its not powerful enough for Slate computing to take over notebooks.

5. They can bundle it with Apple Tv and try and sell it at Costco because thats the only way they are going to make money on this.
  • Reply 140 of 785
    the 3g plans are very impressive