Hands on with Apple's iPad (with videos and photos)

Comments

• Reply 281 of 409
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

They would have to. The hardware and software is the same for everyone. The only variables are defective hardware, user abuse/error, and 3rd party apps.

You sound like a software engineer. I can't reproduce it on my computer so the defect is elsewhere.
  • Reply 282 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

he'll want his Thomas the Train and Dora and the websites won't work. He'll say broken. and i'll have to teach him a new word, crippled

So, because it won't do what your son wants, you're going to tell him it's crippled. How myopic can you be?
  • Reply 283 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And believe it not there are millions of people like him. Not to mention though, I think it's more than that. There's a bigger picture here that's not clear, something has changed and it's not obvious now, it will seem obvious in 3+ years time.

even for the technologically impaired, i still don't think the iPad is a worthy alternative to a netbook or an entry level desktop or laptop of the same price. It lacks the functionality that comes with a full OS. Even for my grandma, who is as computer illiterate as they come, i wouldn't suggest this. She uses skype and word processing which isnt possible on the ipad (and dont tell me word processing on a flat plane of glass can even compare to a physical keyboard). You can't print from the ipad and theres no USB connection or possibility of storage expansion.

There may be a bigger picture thats yet to be seen, and in 3 years maybe tablet pcs will have taken over laptops. I just don't think the ipad has caused this change or in anway revolutionized anything. Theres plenty of tablet pcs currently out and soon to be released, and Apple's implementation of the tablet pc just doesnt compare.
  • Reply 284 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

One thing that's bugged me about the advertising so far is that they call the screen HD. Well, unless you consider 720p HD then it is. But most movies that we call HD is actually 1080p (1920x1080), not 1024x768. NOBODY will notice the difference, as i don't notice the difference between the two on my 37" Flat panel, but i think it's just kind of false advertising.

How f*ck...720P IS HD. Please don't tell me you have bought into the TV manufacturers bull crap "Full 1080P HD". Sorry: 720P is one of the defined HD resolutions, stop spreading lies.
  • Reply 285 of 409
    OK... I took all your complaints and compiled them into a mock up.

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

This sucks, and I wouldn't change a thing.
  • Reply 286 of 409
    The whole magical quote by Jony (when did he switch from Jonathan?) Ives has been taken out of context. If you take the entire line he states, it makes much more sense. I don't remember it verbatim, but when I heard I knew immediately that people had only jumped on his use of the term "magical".

But he said that the combination of the technology used, and the fact that all the technology is hidden from you, makes the experience magical. Now, what is key here is the "hidden" technology, it's not the chips, or the RAM or anything else. The technology that's hidden is the crap you need (read buttons, scroll wheels, etc) that is required to recreate a desktop experience (because other tablets are running desktop OSes). With the iPad it's gone, so all the traditional ways you would interact with this kind of device has changed.

When taken in context, I have no issue with his statement.
  • Reply 287 of 409
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Why does it need to multitask

For the same reasons any computer should multitask. Do you really need me to paint a picture for you?
  • Reply 288 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I found myself nodding my head in agreement from start to finish.

iSteve wishes that the whole world were made of folks like you. If you go to their web page, the initial meme is something about magic.

But for the rest of us, we were hoping for something innovative.
  • Reply 289 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Have you ever seen a $500 Netbook though? Big difference. Why do you think people buy them? If they were as horrible as you state they would not be selling this well.

Well duh... they're selling because they're cheap. Period. It boggles the mind to see what people will put up with to save a buck
  • Reply 290 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btcutter View Post

For $500, you WILL get more use out of an iPad than Netbook (90% of the people).

From what I hear, 90% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • Reply 291 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjkelley View Post

The thing that really bugs me about the hardware is that there is no SD Card Slot! C'mon would it be that hard to include

An SD card slot might be handy FOR YOU, but Steve makes computers for the rest of us.
  • Reply 292 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, a big reason for their $185B market cap too.

Try feeding your family with 'market share' instead of 'market cap.'

Try using products that very few people think are worth buying.
  • Reply 293 of 409
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]Call it rumor/conjecture/whatever, but...

For Those (like myself) disheartened by the iPad's lack of a web camera...

Apple's iPad 3g versions (tentatively slated to ship in 90 days) look to come equipped with front-facing web cameras.

Makes sense given the rather large price premium for the 3g versions, and the fact that there appears to be one under the glass just above the time display.

You heard it here first![/CENTER]
  • Reply 294 of 409
    How crazy not to have any USB or Memory card slots.

As a photographer, i'd have love to view & editmy camera memory cards or videos on slim light screen, which could also serve as a display monitor . Or plug the usb connector of my digital camera, but this is left off. Even netbooks have them. Size can't be an issue as even small £40 phones have them. Plus theres no stand to hold the screen up. Presumably Apple will cash in on this by making this another pricey accessory. I don't view my home LCD Monitor on its back, why would I want to type & view a 10 inch screen on its back??? This is why these kind of touchscreen computer monitors, never spread to the mainstream before. Its a nice idea but practically it is impractical

The whole point of mobile computers, was I thought, having compact all-in one solutions, so they could be quickly pulled out & used. With my notebook, I can plug in, view, edit & email my pics, in minutes. On this I'd have to go home, download to another computer & then connect the ipad to the computer to upload. Wifi is not available on my digital camera, & if it was , it would take ages to transfer approx 1,000 files on average. It would take hours

Its Apple's way of making people pay for accesories, or forcing you to pay ridiculous anounts for small hard drives, & making you have to buy a new , larger capacity product (therefore driving more sales of new products) if you want to add more space.

Hardly any cameras have wifi capacity and youd have to spend over £1000 to get one.

I'm sticking to my sony vaio tz. It has the same 10 inch screen but it has all the ports so I dont need 2 computers to download or accessories & I can burn pics straight to DVD in 1 machine. Even cheap netbooks & mobile phones can write & upload from sd cards & the screen is supported for 90 degree easy viewing & it only weighs 1.2 kg.
  • Reply 295 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by londoncalling View Post

How crazy not to have any USB or Memory card slots.

As a photographer, i'd have love to view & editmy camera memory cards or videos on slim light screen, which could also serve as a display monitor . Or plug the usb connector of my digital camera, but this is left off. Even netbooks have them. Size can't be an issue as even small £40 phones have them. Plus theres no stand to hold the screen up. Presumably Apple will cash in on this by making this another pricey accessory. I don't view my home LCD Monitor on its back, why would I want to type & view a 10 inch screen on its back??? This is why these kind of touchscreen computer monitors, never spread to the mainstream before. Its a nice idea but practically it is impractical

Its Apple's way of making people pay for accesories, or forcing you to pay ridiculous anounts for small hard drives, & making you have to buy a new , larger capacity product (therefore driving more sales of new products) if you want to add more space.

Hardly any cameras have wifi capacity and youd have to spend over £1000 to get one.

I'm sticking to my sony vaio tz.

Sounds like you need a Mac Book, or MB Pro, not an internet/movie/music device- which is what the iPad is.
  • Reply 296 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Sounds like you need a Mac Book, or MB Pro, not an internet/movie/music device- which is what the iPad is.

[CENTER]Hmmm?

As is every single US 250.00 to 500.00 Windows-based netbook on the market... plus exponentially more, like a full-fledged computer that runs a library of millions of available applications as well as OSX and its applications in some cases (not just widgets cleverly re-christened - apps)..[/CENTER]
  • Reply 297 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitro View Post

will the apple remote work??? can i use my current wireless keyboard??

i will definitely buy it for my mom and dad.

We're on the same page. Yesterday I was thinking that the iPad is the ultimate computer for (big) kids to give their (aging) parents. Easy to use, easy set-up, no maintenance... what's not to like!
  • Reply 298 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Hmmm?

As is every single US 250.00 to 500.00 Windows-based netbook on the market... plus exponentially more, like a full-fledged computer that runs a library of millions of available applications as well as OSX and its applications in some cases (not just widgets cleverly re-christened - apps)..[/CENTER]

When did S. Jobs say the iPad would be a laptop replacement? It is for those poor souls who bought netbooks to browse the internet, listen to music and watch videos. I don't know of any professionals who expect a netbook to be a substitute for a real computer. They are far to limited in speed, the operating system, and input methods to be practical for much else.
  • Reply 299 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by londoncalling View Post

I'm sticking to my sony vaio tz. It has the same 10 inch screen but it has all the ports so I dont need 2 computers to download or accessories & I can burn pics straight to DVD in 1 machine. Even cheap netbooks & mobile phones can write & upload from sd cards & the screen is supported for 90 degree easy viewing & it only weighs 1.2 kg.

What you seem to forget is that the 'Pad is magic, while your netbook is a piece of junk.
  • Reply 300 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

What you seem to forget is that the 'Pad is magic, while your netbook is a piece of junk.

[CENTER]Yes, as witnessed by the almost 'magical' disappearance/omission of (industry standard) USB ports, media card readers, web cameras, and multi-tasking prior to its reveal...LOL!

[/CENTER]