Hands on with Apple's iPad (with videos and photos)

Comments

• Reply 381 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

e-ink is far superior for what it's intended for.

When I spend 8 hours a day reading LCD, I find this "far-superior" argument to be unconvincing.

Why is a grey on grey front-lit display, which takes up to 2 seconds to turn a page far-superior?

I have an e-reader, and I would describe the e-ink technology as "okay to read, lousy to navigate"

C.
  • Reply 382 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

So, you've seen the iPad and read books on it and your opinion is based on first hand, hands-on experience?

OR are you simply repeating the ill-informed talking points spewed by Apple-loathing mouthpieces?

I have no idea which is better or not until I can see them side by side viewing the SAME source material.

Er, one uses E_ink the other uses what's been described by APPLE related websites as essentially the same screen in the Macbook...
  • Reply 383 of 409
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Yes the iPad can let you read 'books', but let's face it, it's a horrible e-book reader. e-ink is far superior for what it's intended for.

How so? Or are you just regurgitating what you've heard?

As far as I know, E-Ink's only two advantages are that it does not need a back light or continuous power. Which does make it perfect for reproducing text, but I fail to see how that makes an iPad a horrible eBook reader?
  • Reply 384 of 409
    Quote:

Er, one uses E_ink the other uses what's been described by APPLE related websites as essentially the same screen in the Macbook...

I think ergonomics comes more into play when you're talking about long-term reading. Being able to get into a comfortable sitting position and changing your position from time to time, would make more of a difference than the type of screen you're looking at.

There's really nothing wrong with the MacBook screen, people stare into LCD screens for hours on end. The problem here is the fact that for the most part a laptop has to sit in a fixed position at a fixed length. This can not only put strain on your eyes, but also your neck. Yes you can shift its position, but not with the same freedom you can with a device or object that you can hold in your hand.
  • Reply 385 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I forgot to mention that one other aspect i really wished they'd develop, now that we have a new form-factor to deal with, would be e-notes. They could have developed a way to use hand-writing recognition to be able to use the notes function as an e-note pad. I think this is a useful technology for students and business people alike. If you're talking that paperless life is here, why not for the note taking as well. As an architect, i'd like the notes function to also be developed into a sketch pad as well. no more napkin sketches at a cafe and no more paper pads in the office. Granted SJ hates the idea of a sylus, but for many professions, drawing instuments are crutial to business.

The inclusion of iWork apps is a huge plus, but who wants to sync documents to thier iPad all the time, or email yourself documents to bring to a meeting. What good is giving a presentation on the iPad if you can't print copies for your participant.

I think that gets back to my point about networking this device to a home network and an office network. The iPhone was a niche market until they added exchange server to the email function. I just think these are oversights to the device that i'm hoping to see in the iPad 2.0. That woudl definately open up the market to big business and really boost support.

That is exactly what the Newton did so well. It replaced all those notes and scraps of paper that you build up every day. It eliminated the need to carry a notepad. It had a word prosessor and spreadheet application. It was an open platform that anyone could develop for and there was / is a very dedicated community of developers supporting continued use of the Newton long after Apple abandoned it. The Newton was a device aimed at a user who creates, a user who writes, a business user who prints and faxes. The closed operating systems Apple has been developing portend a grimmer future if they are the future of computing. The locked down, corporate friendly iPad seems aimed at users who consume: iBooks, so users can buy more books through Apple (will Apple disallow other eBook readers like Stanza?). iBooks, a new way to read books? I was downloading and reading books on my Newton in 1999. iTunes, now a music and video store, so users can use their credit cards to buy music files and videos that can be watched for free on Flash sites like Hulu. Limited communication abilities (print? fax?) make this look more like a toy with a toy OS.
  • Reply 386 of 409
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrJedi View Post

That is exactly what the Newton did so well. It replaced all those notes and scraps of paper that you build up every day. It eliminated the need to carry a notepad. It had a word prosessor and spreadheet application. It was an open platform that anyone could develop for and there was / is a very dedicated community of developers supporting continued use of the Newton long after Apple abandoned it. The Newton was a device aimed at a user who creates, a user who writes, a business user who prints and faxes. The closed operating systems Apple has been developing portend a grimmer future if they are the future of computing. The locked down, corporate friendly iPad seems aimed at users who consume: iBooks, so users can buy more books through Apple (will Apple disallow other eBook readers like Stanza?). iBooks, a new way to read books? I was downloading and reading books on my Newton in 1999. iTunes, now a music and video store, so users can use their credit cards to buy music files and videos that can be watched for free on Flash sites like Hulu. Limited communication abilities (print? fax?) make this look more like a toy with a toy OS.

"Locked down"? Well if that's what you want to call it, sign me up.

The success of the iPhone and the 140000 apps written for it suggest that users and developers both prefer the model you're calling "locked down". Apple's version of the "locked down" model is the best thing to happen to the computing industry in a long time. Sure, it isn't perfect. But look at what we get in return.

In other news, I'm also not afraid of the silent black helicopters coming to take me away.
  • Reply 387 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I think ergonomics comes more into play when you're talking about long-term reading. Being able to get into a comfortable sitting position and changing your position from time to time, would make more of a difference than the type of screen you're looking at.

There's really nothing wrong with the MacBook screen, people stare into LCD screens for hours on end. The problem here is the fact that for the most part a laptop has to sit in a fixed position at a fixed length. This can not only put strain on your eyes, but also your neck. Yes you can shift its position, but not with the same freedom you can with a device or object that you can hold in your hand.

An interesting concept. I'd be interested in seeing studies on what types of strain the form factors produce in real-world usage.

It seems logical that shifting around constantly prevents problems that result from being too sedentary. However, this is offset by the fact that the device requires being held.

My experience is that prolonged hand-held computer usage is far more problematic than prolonged laptop or desktop usage. After 20 minutes of holding my iPhone in the normal use position, the acute angle of my elbow begins to take a toll. Blood flow and nerves are restricted when the elbow joint is held in an acute position for too long. Muscles become tired from the fixed position and slight tension that is required to hold an iPhone during normal usage.

In my experience at least, iPhone usage results in moving my arms less than when I am seated at a keyboard. Perhaps I just need to train myself to use handheld devices in a more ergonomic manner. And perhaps the tablet, with its larger screen, will be held farther away during typical usage. This would result in a less acute elbow angle.

The end result of the tradeoff still seems like an unknown for the tablet form factor. While tablets have been around for a while, a larger userbase will advance tablet ergonomics knowledge in a dramatic fashion. We'll likely have real answers within a few years of the iPad's release.
  • Reply 388 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

"Locked down"? Well if that's what you want to call it, sign me up.

The success of the iPhone and the 140000 apps written for it suggest that users and developers both prefer the model you're calling "locked down". Apple's version of the "locked down" model is the best thing to happen to the computing industry in a long time. Sure, it isn't perfect. But look at what we get in return.

In other news, I'm also not afraid of the silent black helicopters coming to take me away.

Yes, locked down in that the company that made the device always determines how you use it. Locked down in that if you want to install an application that isn't among the 140k of shitty, marketing, pointers to other websites, an application that Apple disapproves and doesn't make availabe via the App™ Store™, then you have to "jailbreak" the device. Do you have to jailbreak a MacBook or a iMac or a Mac Pro or PC? Locked down is good for the computer industry? How so? Is it good that one company can decide for me what I can and can't install on the device that I buy and own? How is that good? What's the purpose of a computer, and the iPad [is] a computer, with an OS that is so closed it resembles a marketing scam? OS X is not locked down. Apple has no say so over what you can and can't install on your Mac, nor how you use it. How is this bad for the industry. Which is better for the user?

Apple used to claim to support open standards, open architectures. They used to be the company whose computers were aimed at those who "Think Different". Now we can change that to "Think Alike, and Just Like We Tell You To".

I'd also like to add that the Newton could be used as a stand alone device and wasn't required to sync to a computer.
  • Reply 389 of 409
    What you're missing is that the majority of people have a better experience under the model you're describing as locked down. Not a theoretically better experience, but a better experience in the here and now, today, and for the foreseeable future.

I'll grant that dictators can be bad. But right now we've got a benevolent dictator, the result of which is positive in the here and now. The alternative in the real world was something equivalent to dangerous anarchy.

Police are also a bad thing. But they're better than the alternative most of the time. Most people prefer to live in safety under the rule of law rather than being subject to malicious and greedy predators in a lawless land. Overseeing organizations can abuse their power, but the alternative is even less appealing.
  • Reply 390 of 409
    You'd rather have a "benevolent dictator" over democracy? The personal computer revolution and the internet have been heralded as democratic breakthroughs, yet you would rather see them locked down? I don't trust dictators nor gatekeepers no matter how benevolent they may seem. China believes it is in the best interest of the Chinese people that they lock down the internet. If the great leaders say so, they must be right, yes? And what happens when the Apple dictatorship, as you have so readily called it, becomes less benevolent?

How do you know that the "majority of people have a better experience under the [locked down] model"? How many iPhone owners have jailbroken their iPhones? None? Because Apple thinks it's in their best interest that they can only use AT&T? Or if you move to another country, Apple expects you buy a new iPhone to use over there? Or that if an application hasn't been "approved" by Apple but that users want, Apple says, no, no Google Voice, we know you better than you do and we know you don't want it. Want Flash? Sorry, let Apple decide for you and at the same time prevent you from playing those stupid free games and watching those stupid free videos so you can buy stupid games from the App Store™ and buy stupid videos from iTunes, something that started as an application but has morphed, on the iPhone OS, into a store.

Microsoft has been sued for aspects of Windows OS versions that are viewed as closed. In the EU they have been forced by the courts to stop bundling IE with the Windows OS. Because they are the dominant computer OS their bundling of IE is viewed as anti-competitve. Now, Apple's iPhone OS is poised to be the dominant smartphone OS and handheld OS, and it's the most anticompetitive OS I've yet seen. Want to sync it to a computer? You must use iTunes™. Want to search for and install applications? You must use the App Store™ No other methods are tolerated. Try to open the OS (jailbreak it)? Apple might release an update that will "brick" your device, or destroy it.

If you buy a car, should the car maker have the right to tell you how to drive it, what accessories you can and can't install on it, tell you that you can only use the original stereo and if you install another one, illegally, you not only void the warranty but also the EULA? Because it's for your own good? How'd you like it if you brought your car into the dealer for a checkup and seeing that you installed an unapproved accessory that you didn't buy from them they burned your car? For your own good, of course.
  • Reply 391 of 409
    Suggestion to the iPad team at Apple:

Please make the on-screen keyboard rescalable so it will work with small and big hands alike. As a user customizable preference it would be ideal.

Thanks.
  • Reply 392 of 409
    Quote:

You'd rather have a "benevolent dictator" over democracy?

No. I'd rather have a benevolent dictator over Mad Max Beyond Thunderdrome brought to you by Tina Turner.

The "benevolent dictator" term was thrown in for comic effect. Really, the situation is more analogous to a democracy which has enacted laws that you don't like. It is clear that you would prefer anarchy and its accompanying freedom. Which is a quite valid philosophy, just not one that I think the majority of people prefer. Looks like you'll have to choose another nationality to enjoy the type of society you prefer.
  • Reply 393 of 409
    Quote:

Now, Apple's iPhone OS is poised to be the dominant smartphone OS and handheld OS, and it's the most anticompetitive OS I've yet seen.

Apple's model has spawned a gold rush for developers. The end result has been better applications and more applications than on any other platform. iPhone app development is more competitive than perhaps any computing platform in human history.

The average person's iPhone is more customized than anything that preceded it. You'll just have to live with the fact that this was achieved without enabling rsync for us geeks. (And this is coming from someone who has a few thousand lines of shell scripted rsync commands backing up his linux servers on an hourly/daily/monthly basis.)

If the iPhone pisses you off, you'll likely hate the world for the rest of your life. Appliance-like computers (in various form factors) are the future of the computing industry. My router is "closed". My DVR is "closed" My game system is "closed". My NAS is "closed". My network based TV tuner is "closed". My TV is "closed". My GPS is "closed".... and yes, my phone is "closed"

(Edit: added last paragraph, and a couple sentences. Removed personal attack/joke hopefully before anyone saw it.)
  • Reply 394 of 409
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

You'd rather have a "benevolent dictator" over democracy? The personal computer revolution and the internet have been heralded as democratic breakthroughs, yet you would rather see them locked down?

Arguably you're still at the mercy of the borderline autistic to create those apps for you anyway. I meant geeks. Joke form another thread.

Quote:

How do you know that the "majority of people have a better experience under the [locked down] model"?

I dunno...because the iPhone has a better user experience than any unlocked phone before it and arguably since? Eh.

Quote:

Now, Apple's iPhone OS is poised to be the dominant smartphone OS and handheld OS, and it's the most anticompetitive OS I've yet seen. Want to sync it to a computer? You must use iTunes?. Want to search for and install applications? You must use the App Store? No other methods are tolerated. Try to open the OS (jailbreak it)? Apple might release an update that will "brick" your device, or destroy it.

Jeez, that's overstating the case. Dominant? Not likely. They'll have huge share but not the same as the iPod.

6 ways to sync without iTunes:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-ways-...ithout-itunes/

Jailbreaking is at your own risk but thus far Apple hasn't deliberately bricked anyone. Pretty much, if you want to jailbreak just wait until the new releases are broken and tested a while before you update.
  • Reply 395 of 409
    Quote:

You'd rather have a "benevolent dictator" over democracy? The personal computer revolution and the internet have been heralded as democratic breakthroughs, yet you would rather see them locked down? I don't trust dictators nor gatekeepers no matter how benevolent they may seem. ...t you can only use the original stereo and if you install another one, illegally, you not only void the warranty but also the EULA? Because it's for your own good? How'd you like it if you brought your car into the dealer for a checkup and seeing that you installed an unapproved accessory that you didn't buy from them they burned your car? For your own good, of course.

Wow! Dude a little perspective can go a long way towards easing your issues here. IT IS A MOBILE COMPUTER... THERE ARE OTHERS TO CHOOSE FROM... THIS WILL NOT HINDER YOUR ABILITY TO MAKE LIFE ALTERING DECISIONS. Apple makes a product. You take the product for what it is or you don't. That's the beauty of a free market. As long as they have to cover the product under warranty, they're going to make sure you use it under their terms. You don't like it, DONT BUY IT or change it up all you want, just don't expect them to honor the warranty afterwards.

And I hate to tell you this, but pretty much every consumer product has warranties that are voided if the consumer modifies the product in any manner specified under the warranty. there is such a thing as product abuse; using it in a way not meant by the manufacturer.
  • Reply 396 of 409
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Wow! Dude a little perspective can go a long way towards easing your issues here. IT IS A MOBILE COMPUTER... THERE ARE OTHERS TO CHOOSE FROM...

yah, it's not like there wasn't a gazillion slates at CES this year. Plus a boatload of netbooks in the same price range.
  • Reply 397 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

My experience is that prolonged hand-held computer usage ... an unknown for the tablet form factor. While tablets have been around for a while, a larger userbase will advance tablet ergonomics knowledge in a dramatic fashion. We'll likely have real answers within a few years of the iPad's release.

Wouldn't be any worse or better than how people currently deal with reading books or magazines. If it gets too heavy after a while, set it down. Yes the iPad will be heavier than the average magazine or paperback book, but will weigh about the same as an average hard cover book.
  • Reply 398 of 409
    Quote:

You'd rather have a "benevolent dictator" over democracy?

No, I wouldn't, but I'd rather have a "benevolent dictator" than anarchy, any day. Where's the "democracy" option? There's no way the average app store buyer can discern whether an app is potentially malicious or not, so Democracy on an individual basis is not an option in this case.
  • Reply 399 of 409
    Personally, the only things I have against the app store as it is is censorship of apps based on sexual content, and the ridiculous "duplicates core functions of the device" restriction (we absolutely should be able to choose an alternative browser or phone app if we want). But I don't want any kind of access to apps without some sort of approval process.
  • Reply 400 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

... If you're talking that paperless life is here, why not for the note taking as well...for many professions, drawing instuments are crutial to business...

One of the "five best" new products at macworld today was inklet, $25 software that turns your macbook pro trackpad into a pressure-sensitive drawing tablet. Cool, huh?! (requires a stylus, too, such as the $15 pogo stylus; all in all a pretty inexpensive solution, which no doubt explains the award)

check tenonedesign.com

Perhaps it will be modified for the iPad and iPhone, with a special notes app. I'll try to see them at their booth tomorrow and ask if that's in the realm of possibility.