Hands on with Apple's iPad (with videos and photos)

Comments

• Reply 161 of 409
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    I can't believe they went for the "iPad" name ?

Is there a chance they could change the name again? Other then iSlate or iTablet?

iBook would've made so much sense.
  • Reply 162 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

since this was all over the news last night my wife asked me about it because they said steve jobs said it's better than a laptop. i said you can't play farmville on it because it. that was the end of her interest in it.

my wife likes to play farmville after we put our son to sleep on her lenovo laptop. Zynga has tens of millions of users playing their games and you need Adobe Flash.

if farmville was actually worthy of being played you would have a point. BUT consider you can play games like simcity on the Touch, and I'm sure an even better version will become available. Why don't you just tell your wife to play simfarm?

Is this really what people do? Play games on the internet? No reading, no imagination fascination? No interest in figuring out how the ACTUAL world works? Just plain boring flash games. Of coarse I find gaming on a PS3 boring. The best game = tetris. What else would a person need?
  • Reply 163 of 409
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Too bad you don't like it and are crying and complaining- but don't you think Apple is just giving the masses what they want?

Apple never gives the masses what they want. Instead, they give the masses what Apple "knows" is best for the masses. That's a big reason for Apple's market share.
  • Reply 164 of 409
    Quote:

A lot of us wanted a Mac like that that with a USB port. Seems like a lost opportunity like the AppleTV. Don't know why I would ever want or need to have this when I have an iPhone. To read magazines only purchasable from iTunes(Books)?

Every magazine is already available on the 'web for free. If this is supposed to revive the industry, I don't see how it will do so. I see no compelling, game-changing aspect of this device. It looks like a very fun toy computer, but nothing more.
  • Reply 165 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

So? Tablet PCs have been around almost a decade. They all just dump hardware on the market with the latest release of Windows. Nothing is going to change that. Microsoft will only ever make "full blown Windows," because they're afraid of losing the Windows monopoly.

Wrong. They currently make Windows 7 in a stripped down version for small devices. But your fantasies about their strategy are fascinating.
  • Reply 166 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Yes. My 9.5 year old iBook 466 SE still outperforms them, for the most part. People buy netbooks because they want something cheap to browse the internet with, and send e-mail. They sold well because they were cheap.

And that is the (only?) niche for the 'Pad. It is great for folks who do not want/need a computer, and would be flummoxed by a real computer. Other folks will continue to buy lots of netbooks.
  • Reply 167 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Have you ever used a $300 netbook? I have. They are slow and use awful operating systems- either the outdated XP, or a variation of Vista, which limps along in a netbook. The smallest ones have terrible keyboards/input methods. Awful screens. The list goes on. The iPad seems like it does everything a $300 netbook does, just far, far better, in a nicer package. This won't replace a Mac Book, but it is not intended to.

Have you used a new one? My daughter got an HP 10" running Win 7 and it is very snappy, looks good and has a very usable keyboard. All for $249 on sale. Yeah the iPad may do some things better but it is also $499 to start. Oh yeah she has a 160GB harddrive.
  • Reply 168 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Go on then, I might have missed them, I have life you know, sorry for that, quote them then, quote the ten flash websites that apple is preventing you from viewing, that bad bad bad apple, go on, I am all ears.

Why ten? Why not one, if it is a favorite? There are official sports pages that use flash, are there not? Some folks, believe it or not, are totally into sports.
  • Reply 169 of 409
    Quote:

Too bad you don't like it and are crying and complaining- but don't you think Apple is just giving the masses what they want?

I don't, I think there giving the masses part of what they want and sticking in some huge limitations at the same time. But then people just have to accept what this is, which is an iPAD. HP and the rest are making tablet computers. This isn't a computer, its something that only does what it says on the tin. Bit like a Xbox being just a games console or a PSP being a hand held gaming device. Under it all they all work in similar ways but their capabilities are completely different.
  • Reply 170 of 409
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranum View Post

In June of 2008, I posted this on AI:

Really looking forward to picking up one of these with the keyboard dock and cover later this year. I just have to start hiding money from the wife.

Heck, for me I think the wife might be hoping I get one of these. I've been debating getting a 15" MBP to use as a portable. However, the real bulk of what we need a portable for is a second computer around the house for web surfing, and then something to take on the road for trips, again for web and e-mail. If I get the MBP, I'll probably do some gaming on it and maybe a few other things but I just don't know that my needs come anywhere close to justifying the $2400 that the 15" MBP will cost me (that's with a 500GB 7200RPM drive and the tax included). On the other hand, the iPad would be much more in line with the things we would most use it for and at almost 1/3rd the price. Decisions, decisions...
  • Reply 171 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brit120666 View Post

This will be so much better for the things I use my Pro for

Well, it might be better FOR YOU, but for the rest of us, it is a huge disappointment.
  • Reply 172 of 409
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    My two cents on iPad:

1. No multi-tasking.

2. No Flash (which DOES NOT make it a proper browsing device today and probably in the next years while Flash still dominates the market for truly interactive websites; in fact most websites).

3. No proper file system (this will make everything difficult, including managing mail attachments, reading ebooks and videos obtained other than through the Apple-approved stores ...).

4. No Camera(s).

5. No proper SIM/phone capability.

6. Yes it has Maps. But does it have GPS? I guess NO.

I am not talking about desireable but non-vital things here (read lack of SD or USB slots, no OLED, screen resolution circa that of a 2005 plasma screen, no tethering, no iLife, etc.).

The only TWO pluses for me are:

1. A rather reasonable price.

2. Unlocked 3G.

Conclusion: I will wait for version 2.0
  • Reply 173 of 409
    Quote:

hahaha, dumb ass turtleneck? Ask yourself why you are in so much pain that apple posted their best quarter ever? Doesn't that make you mad, huh? so out of touch with reality they are, aren't they?

Happy Days was one of the most popular shows on TV before the Fonz jumped the shark. This may be Apple's turn. The disappointment, even among the fanbois, is surprising and telling.
  • Reply 174 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Unlike your clueless selves. HTML 5 is a reality. YouTube is now on board. It will happen very quickly too.

I sure hope so. But until then, the 'Pad is a crippled toy.
  • Reply 175 of 409
    Quote:

Yeah I have, but I prefer less idiot sites than cnn or cbs, excuse me for that, if you love these sites, then apple is doing you a favour by not supporting them in flash,

Canned answer No. 456: It is not an omission or a deficiency, it is a value-added feature.

Twas ever thus with those who worship gods.
  • Reply 176 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

no flash on iphone and no multi tasking is getting annoying. if i bought this my son would want to use it. once his websites don't work, he will hate it. no flash means most of the internet won't work on it unless there is an app for a website.

if this is a netbook replacement, it needs to at least support features that netbooks support and not limit the software i can install. it's ok for a cell phone, not for what supposed to be a computer

and I think the entire tablet thing from all manufacturers is a scam and a fad. dumbed down and locked device who's only purpose is to make you buy "content" and raise the ARPU of the device

For a two year-old to "hate" anything is a very bad indicator of how he's being brought up.
  • Reply 177 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

speaking of third party apps, the link below shows a screen from Delicious Library 2. Looks a lot like iBook, eh?

http://www.albinotricolors.com/image...ouslibrary.jpg

did apple recently acquire that cool app?

The bookshelf graphic eye candy is used in more than that one app. Apple did not innovate (from what I have seen so far) one iota with the iBook app. It is a "me-too" app that is a huge disappointment.

Wasn't the 'Pad going to save publishing?
  • Reply 178 of 409
    I see many comments on what it can and can not do. My biggest concern is usability. It really looks awkward to use. My iPhone will do pretty much anything the iPad can do and more (like make phone calls and be used with one hand). I can use my iPhone on the go. If I am downtown DC and need a restaurant, I pull my phone from my pocket and use it with one hand. I am having a hard time figuring out where this thing will fit in. I really wanted it to be awesome but am now finding it not so much. If I dock it with the keyboard at my desk why not use my 27" iMac. Productivity is a joke so that is out the window. Can this thing even print? My vote is still out. I want to read hands on reviews, I want to see how people will use this in their lives. I had hoped to dump my iPhone, get a cheap phone and have this but now I am unsure.
  • Reply 179 of 409
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitro View Post

i will definitely buy it for my mom and dad.

Remember that this is not a standalone device. It's an iPod (essentially). You must still manage it from iTunes on a separate computer. Do mom and dad already have a computer?
  • Reply 180 of 409
    There is a non user replaceable battery in the ipad, and the device is being marketed as a gaming/ multimedia machine. Are we to assume that the battery will last the life of the device? Has battery tech come that far?