Apple's iTunes advantage keeps Acer from building iPad challenger

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

my wife who has no idea what flash is was interested. until i told her she can't play farmville on it

If Facebook doesn't update their app to play Farmville by the iPad launch I'd be really surprised.
  • Reply 82 of 89
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

That isn't true. Netbooks run Windows XP, and can now even run Windows 7. If a netbook and run a full OS certainly Apple could have come up with a version of SL to run on their Tablet. Thats one of the problems Apple has always had, they are more concerned about looks then function. It would have been better to create something larger even if you went with a 12.1 Tablet and truly allow a product that fits between an iPhone and a Macbook or MBP. Right now all we have is a 9.7 inch iPhone.

Yup, and those netbooks run slowly, with noticeable delays, can't play back HD, etc.

The 9.7 inch iPhone that can run a lot more responsive software that can take advantage of a faster processor and the 9.7 inch screen.
  • Reply 83 of 89
    Quote:

I'm not sure two people a day is all that much for what was suppose to be the biggest product of 2010. If the iPhone 4.0 software will allow the iPad to multi-task then I would consider one. However not being able to multi-task just doesn't fit my needs. As far as everything else I felt should have went into this, I can live without but not the ability to multi-task. Maybe your two a day friends don't understand they can work on something and stream music on the iPad. Once that hits them they may not want one.

These are Windows PC people, who at most have an iPod nano. And it's more than when the iPhone was released.

And I don't think they actually care that much about streaming music.

Updated: Two articles about the same thing since I wrote this:

http://northtemple.com/2010/02/01/on...andmas-and-gam

http://www.logicalvue.com/blog/2010/02/ipad-musings/
  • Reply 84 of 89
    Quote:

We have to stop comparing this to the iPhone or to other smartphones. This is not a smartphone is a multifunction Tablet so we should expect more then what the iPhone has to offer. Even more so seeing the hardware can support more, its the software that is lacking.

Did you watch the same iPad launch? Did you hear from software developers, like Joe Hewitt of Facebook, and Mac software developers, like Omni Group, MacPractice, etc? Did you read Ihnatko who claims iWork has the same functionality as the Mac version?

The iPad is capable of so much more, and more software looks to be coming real soon. After all, the SDK wasn't released until last Wed.

We have to stop jumping to ill-formed negative conclusions until we see what software is sold for it.
  • Reply 85 of 89
    Quote:

Well maybe some felt it was a liability for the iPhone but I can't say I ever saw it that way. I always saw a clear need for the iPhone, even as a Blackberry users I felt the iPhone was always a better web browser which was needed for a long time.

There is no clear need for what the iPad has to offer. Its lack of features makes it even more in doubt in my opinion. However time will tell.

I'd say right now that many people all over the web are saying exactly that there is clear need for what the iPad has to offer. You're just not listening since based on your posts, you seem so fixated on this Pandora multi-tasking issue.

By the way, on the iPhone, there are quite a few apps who upon quitting, switch you to Safari and a web-based streaming solution, so you can run another app. It's not perfect, (i.e., if your new app also has sound output, it cuts Safari off), but it does work. Pandora could do this too but they've chosen not to do so. Based on what I've seen so far, I think it'll also work on the iPad, at least until another solution arrives.
  • Reply 86 of 89
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I think I can live without streaming Pandora... as long as I still have iTunes.
  • Reply 87 of 89
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

We have to stop jumping to ill-formed negative conclusions until we see what software is sold for it.

That's true, but the new apps will be hobbled by the existing OS. Many folks predicted a different/better OS than what landed on the iPad. Many folks want a 4.0 version with more than is currently offered.

In the meantime, I agree with you. There may develop killer apps which are better on this platform than they could be anywhere else. But as of now, I dunno.
  • Reply 88 of 89
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I think I can live without streaming Pandora... as long as I still have iTunes.

Yes. And you could live without an iPhone too. But that's hardly the point.