iPad photos show slot for forward-facing video camera

Comments

• Reply 41 of 203
    OH WELL! Include the camera then...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

I don't think these kind of leaks help Apple at all. I don't know how many will not hold back on the 1st gen because of this (if true) leak. But I believe it will affect sales.

• Reply 42 of 203
    STILL needs an SD Card slot!!
  • Reply 43 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Dumb sarcasm aside, I find it hard to believe they would go through the trouble to fake this. Whats the point? And to fit and cast the iSight module into a fake frame that so happens to look genuine? Sure, it could be faked. But I think its more than likely, not.

The sarcasm is very well justified, especially considering that the number of faked photos we see far outnumber the genuine ones. Worth keeping that in mind, don't you think?
  • Reply 44 of 203
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shoorty0690 View Post

While I would like to see 4.0 detailed in March, It will kind of be a kick in the nuts to the developers that just got the 3.2 SDK.

If developers feel that way then they should just wait until iPhone OS 4.0 is released. Of course, that puts them behind for converting or getting a base app ready for the device so it seems obvious why devs would rather have a 3.2 now than have to wait until the heals of the device release to get SDK access.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

Well, i guess next iPad will have the 5mp camera and an SD card slot?

A camera seems inevitable, but I'm not sure how you conclude an SD card is coming. They already offer the ability via the 30-pin connector attachment.

PS: I hope Apple makes those attachments usable with the iPhone and Touch. That could offloading and uploading images much easier.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

They also didn't nail down a launch date, instead stating they would be available 'in about 60 days; another 30 for 3G.'

This is similar to the iPhone's original debut, sure, but that still leaves time to add a camera.

I don't see them adding feature HW that late in the design. It would surely be atypical if they did. The lack of a absolute date and the two different launch time,along with other hints at the event, all stink of a rushed or last minute change in the project. The apps layer seems well designed but everything else down seems to have a bolted on feel.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I just had a rogue thought......... is it possible that the camera modules themselves are in short supply?

That was mentioned on here back in September with the Touch. It certainly makes more sense than them pulling it at the last minute to include in the next generation model.

BTW, nice find with the job posting. What's with the 8 posts since 2003?
  • Reply 45 of 203
    YAWN. WHO cares if they're not "authorized"... THEY brought the NEWS!

KUDOS TO THEM!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

And to a company in Kansas not even an authorized Apple dealer, no less?

• Reply 46 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The sarcasm is very well justified, especially considering that the number of faked photos we see far outnumber the genuine ones. Worth keeping that in mind, don't you think?

Agreed, but the number of fake photos that look as genuine, plausible, and convincing as this, are far and few between.
  • Reply 47 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Exactly. And who in their right mind would spend $500 on a 16GB anything, except a trendoid?

Actually I glad that there exists those with such disposable incomes who can work out all the kinks until the 2nd Gen.

I would. For the same reason I bought them an 8GB iPod Touch while buying the largest for myself.

They simply won't use more than 16GB. Me, I could use 128GB. If streaming from the computer is supported, then even I could get by with 16GB will be adequate for me. I'd still want the larger size though.
  • Reply 48 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Exactly. And who in their right mind would spend $500 on a 16GB anything, except a trendoid?

Actually I glad that there exists those with such disposable incomes who can work out all the kinks until the 2nd Gen.

Tell me what you would do with 16GB to fill it all up. Then, tell me how you would fill 32GB. Now, tell me what you think people who would get the 16GB would use it for.
  • Reply 49 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Evidence for the possible existence of a forward-facing camera in the iPad was uncovered by repair company Mission Repair in a shipment of replacement iPad enclosures it acquired on Tuesday...

I'm sure this violates Mission Repair's confidentiality agreements. They must have done it to get publicity for their company. Apple may not be pleased. Risky stuff.
  • Reply 50 of 203
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    My guess is that the iPad won't ship with a camera until the iPod touch does. The low price of the wi-fi iPad makes the touch look overpriced compared to what you get. Adding a camera to the iPad but not the touch would make it look even worse. They'd either have to lower the price of the touch, which could potentially hurt iPhone sales if you lower it too much, or add a camera to the touch to increase it's value for the price. I could see them adding a higher resolution iPhone-type camera to the touch around WWDC and a lower res MacBook-style iSight to the iPad for video iChat and such later this year.
  • Reply 51 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

All the better, iPad 2.0 will have iSight!

Agreed! Those thinking iPad (original) will have a camera come launch in a couple of months will be disappointed.

Gotta have something physical to add in iPad 2.0 aside from adding new buttons via a software OS update!
  • Reply 52 of 203
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Physical evidence pointing to a forward-facing iPad camera was found in the frame of replacement enclosures for the device. ... This adds some validity to the rumors that Apple may still be working on a camera-equipped iPad that could recognize the face of its user ...

You guys should use a bit more logic and not go off half-cocked.

Physical evidence that they were thinking of putting a camera in the iPad, in absolutely no way whatsoever adds any credence whatsoever to the idea that Apple is developing an iPad that "recognises the face of the user and reconfigures itself accordingly" (as the NYT article stated).

Every Mac has this same camera, all iPhones have a very similar one facing backwards, and the next iPhone is rumoured to have one of each. Finding a hole in the iPad for the exact same camera is only evidence of them possibly including a camera, period. Even if one was to go off on a flight of fancy supposing what this camera is going to be used for, Occam's Razor would suggest it will be used for the exact same thing the others are all used for.

To say this is "evidence" of one random, crazy, unsupported idea floated by a writer for the new York Times is ludicrous. It's like saying finding unknown scat in the back yard is evidence that a dragon was there.

Anyone who's used iPhoto 09 should know that recognising someones face to the degree of accuracy necessary for such a feat is not actually with us yet, anyway.
  • Reply 53 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I just had a rogue thought......... is it possible that the camera modules themselves are in short supply?

I see where you're going with this, but it's definitely speculative.

The Apple job opening was supportive, even if somewhat circumstantial. Something like this would be a bugger for Apple, but I can't imagine that making "mountains" of cameras is that difficult.

I would think this (if you were to include "isight" cameras) would be a pretty big problem if it effected this many products. I know Apple needs "tons" of them, but they are fairly simple devices, potentially used in other manufacturers devices as well, so the problem should manifest with some other manufacturer.

The IPT and Iphone would both probably use the same camera (3mp still/ SD video), but the ipod nano uses a video camera , is it the same part used in laptops and imacs? The ipad would also only need video only since the speculation is that it is front facing camera. I don't know, it seems like they would be different components. Anyone know the details on the cameras? Maybe they are putting too many video/ ichat camera's out there.

That would be "impressive" to see Apple's products drain yet another component from the market. I'm certain the problem would be tended to quickly. Hence the job posting?

I don't know but solid idea.
  • Reply 54 of 203
    That would be how ipad can do it better. I couldn't believe how there was no camera after the rumors. Typical Apple , a little change each new device or notebook people want the next best thing each time but the prices in NZ are getting WAY up there considering the exchange rates.

I'd love an IPad but if I bought the first one only to find next year ( long waits as always ) that there was a camera , I like millions of others would be gutted.

I was also surprised that the medical industry or business wasn't at the launch to demo anything for business. At least it can do word processing and spreadsheets.
  • Reply 55 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by unscriptable View Post

If you look carefully, you can see the camera hole flash briefly in some of the videos.

I think that's the start button. You know how it vertical orients from ANY direction? The iPad is just upside down. Or whatever you would call it when the button is at the top.
  • Reply 56 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

All the better, iPad 2.0 will have iSight!

I definitely won't be wasting my money on iPad 1.0 without iSight!
  • Reply 57 of 203
    I allways felt, that some magic was missing to this highly magical product. Thinking of gesture input without touching the display an facial recognition: if this works as faulty like Faces in iPhoto I could understand Steves anger.

Hey, Joy of Tech: imagine iPad prototype B5784-G and Steve in that sealed room in headquaters and iPad doesn´t recognize his masters face. And even worse: greets with "good to see you auntie isodora!"
  • Reply 58 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

I think that's the start button. You know how it vertical orients from ANY direction? The iPad is just upside down. Or whatever you would call it when the button is at the top.

I thought this until I viewed the video. That clearly shows that the Home button is at the bottom. It does look like there's something there, but I would have thought that with all those reviewers handling it and examining it one of them would have spotted if there was possible evidence of a camera in the top border.
  • Reply 59 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by miquet View Post

That would be how ipad can do it better. I couldn't believe how there was no camera after the rumors. Typical Apple , a little change each new device or notebook people want the next best thing each time but the prices in NZ are getting WAY up there considering the exchange rates.

I'd love an IPad but if I bought the first one only to find next year ( long waits as always ) that there was a camera , I like millions of others would be gutted.

I was also surprised that the medical industry or business wasn't at the launch to demo anything for business. At least it can do word processing and spreadsheets.

Has anyone seen a mobile camera that has the quality Apple would demand for products like the iPad?

I believe they pulled the camera from the iPod touch because it was not good enough. Apple will wait until there is a camera that will show pictures and video worthy of HD with a form factor that fits in a small device such as the iPad at the right price. Anything less will result in a stream of disappointed users and pundits spouting their

disdain all over the internet forums.

I suggest you do without until Apple installs one.
  • Reply 60 of 203
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azzurri View Post

I have this gut feeling that Apple is going to have an iPhone OS event in March.

They had one in March of both 2008 and 2009. It doesn't make sense to launch a new product in 3.2 and not 4.0. With Apple now allowing VOIP over 3G I can see their 'one more thing' being multitasking and iChat with video camera on the iPad and next gen iPhone. Multitasking will probably only work on the next gen iPhone with a custom built chip.

I dunno... you can call me an optimist... but if they really wanted to push alot of people over the edge to purchase one of these bad boys... thats what I would do.

Right. And let's not forget that people tend to move to the edge at product announcements, no matter what's announced. Delaying the ubiquitous "one more thing" a month or two could allow people to let the announcement sink in and lean away from buying, only to be pushed back over the edge by an additional big feature to buy on impulse in the end. It follows the form of a textbook five-step sales pitch. Watch any infomercial or listen to the next guy who shows up on your doorstep selling wheelchair basketball coupon books. Apple knows this is generally uncharted territory, which generally means heavy initial reliance on impulse buys. And you can't push someone off the fence if you haven't already put them on it.