Apple seen moving 2M iPads in 2010 before sales 'catalyst' emerges

Comments

• Reply 41 of 164
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

And since you don't live in the USA, you don't know how things work. People have to set up their own Wi-Fi networks with their own wireless routers in the USA...and you need a computer for that. Since Apple is touting it as a media device including music and video, you DO need a computer if you want to put your own music and videos on it.

Well, that is poor service then. Where I live WiFi routers come pre-configured, with the WPA2 password randomly generated and included in a blind envelope. Copying that long number is about the only challenge. Since the majority of Apple's sales are now outside the US, US providers might learn something here...
  • Reply 42 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Not to mention if you pull out an iPad on the NYC subway you might as well wear a sign on your forehead that reads "MUG ME".

Any costly device would send the same message, so your sarcasm is not illuminating.
  • Reply 43 of 164
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

In other words a device for dumb couch potatoes?

Absolutely - and there are a LOT of them.
  • Reply 44 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

My guess is Steve Jobs is going to enable RENTING of e-books on the iPad. ... Everyone wins.

Besides text books for schools I wonder if they could get that going for a retail e-book, or an audio version that expires after say, a week.

Haven't seen much speculation of this type but it would certainly spur sales if they could get publishers on board.
  • Reply 45 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Well, I believe this fits the topic.

I've been sporting pretty nice siggy since weeks now.

Almost spot on, except the iPhone should be no brain and lots of money.

A Blackberry should go where the brains and money are.
  • Reply 46 of 164
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

So anyways who knows with the 3G and micro-SIMS (who heard of that before this, huh)...

There is nothing special about these SIMs, exactly the same chip size, just less plastic around it... Actually we have quite a few shops that do instant "conversion" (using a die cutter) for 5 EUR, takes them less than a minute.

As the iPad will have no network lock, I am sure all providers will offer these SIMs in no time.
  • Reply 47 of 164
    Quote:

In other words a device for dumb couch potatoes?

I thought you were permanently banned. Looks like I'll have to update the ole "Ignore With A Vengeance" list.
  • Reply 48 of 164
    Quote:

And since you don't live in the USA, you don't know how things work. People have to set up their own Wi-Fi networks with their own wireless routers in the USA...and you need a computer for that. Since Apple is touting it as a media device including music and video, you DO need a computer if you want to put your own music and videos on it.

OK, you mean I don't know how things work in the USA, not how things "work" - there is a world outside the US you know. And it's where Apple sell a majority of their products.

You need a computer to set up wi-fi? No. You simply need to access the routers CP via a browser. Why couldn't you access your routers control panel via the web browser on the 'pad? you confuse me.

Also, "if you want to put your "own" music and videos on it" - Well Apple want you to buy content on line. Of course this thing will have even MORE potential if hooked up to a computer, but it's not necessary in order to own the device. But look at your logic - if someone currently doesn't have a home computer, then they're not going to have their "own" digital media to transfer. If they do already have a computer then there's no issue.

I don't understand your logic. At all.
  • Reply 49 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

Besides text books for schools I wonder if they could get that going for a retail e-book, or an audio version that expires after say, a week.

Haven't seen much speculation of this type but it would certainly spur sales if they could get publishers on board.

I'm convinced they are already, we just haven't heard it yet because Amazon prices has to be changed first. Amazon knows what is going on, but they got to pretend to put up a fuss to shift the blame to the publishers. So they pull one publishers e-books for a day or two, big deal.

The publishers will come out with the "rental option" and everyone will be happy.
  • Reply 50 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Almost everything new (products, trends, etc.) follows the classic s-curve of adoption in three phases: early adopters, mass acceptance, saturation. So we're really not getting any insights from this analyst, he's just parroting the obvious.

But do you think we are in the early adopter stage for this type of product still? I had a Sharp WIzard back in the day, several Palm devices, several blackberries, a Nokia 770, and then the iPhone. Starting in about 2000, you could almost substitute a Palm with a keyboard for a computer if you were backpacking or a road warrior.

In 2005 or so, I thought the Nokia 770 was the answer to what I had been wanting all those years-- flexible operating system, bluetooth tethering to my cell phone for internet (or WiFi), and applications I could use to edit documents, along with a reasonably good internet browser for the time.

The iPhone just made that concept actually work in a mass-adoption scale.
  • Reply 51 of 164
    dupe delete
  • Reply 52 of 164
    Quote:

You cannot use an iPad without already owning a Mac or PC computer, and having a WiFi network at home (people are not going to buy the 3G model to use solely at home). How do you expect to get anything into it without having a computer, and knowing how to operate said computer? How is a computer illiterate going to be able to get on the internet if they are too stupid to know how to set up a WiFi network to make it work? They might be able to tap a few icons, but they won't be able to do anything with it. Nice try.

Time will show the following, And Answers, to your incorrect conclusions:

1) You do NOT need any computer, Mac or PC, to fully use an iPad.

There are scores of owners of iPhones and iPod touches that do not have any computers, and even a few that do have computers, but don't sync to their computers. Why. because they don't know how to or care to.

Yet, they know how to use their "mobile" Apple devices. I know them personally.

With the iPhone, the 3G allows them all the connectivity they need, plus the Wifi on an iPhone is easy-peasy. All their Music and Apps can be sourced from the iTunes Store.

For the the internet there is Safari. For email, there is Mail.

With the iPod Touch, WiFi is simple and it just works.

My neighbor's son has an iPod Touch, yet my neighbor has no computers or wireless connections. He is not missing anything and knows how to connect anywhere and everywhere he can. No one ever showed him how. He buys all his music and apps through iTunes, just like Apple likes it.

The iPad

2) If the user "WANTS" connectivity, but does not have or know how to set up WiFi at Home, the 3G model will be purchased. For those that need limited connectivity and don't know how to set up Wifi, there are MANY ways to connect. There are Friends & Families homes and Wifi for pay. Plus their are ton's of Free Hot spots readily available. 1000's of MacDonalds, Public Library's, Barne's & Nobles, Best Buys, Panera Bread, Starbuck's and on and on.

It sound to me like you don't own an Apple "mobile" product, because if you did, you would know how easy and simple it is to connect to any wireless access point. On the iPhone and iPod Touch, you just "turn it on".

3) Please check your references and again, The iPad is 100% a stand-alone product.

Even Photo's will be input directly, from the camera to the iPad, using the USB adapter. There will be countless Apps to help you do this just by "touching" the screen.

4) Just this past weekend, an extremely computer-challenged Uncle said he would buy one of these. He does not own any computer and does not have any connectivity at home. I explained to him his options in "connectivity". I think he will be extremely pleased with his user-experience, when he buy's his own iPad.

(PLEASE NOTE: there would be NO SALE to this individual, for a traditional Laptop, Desktop or Netbook, thus Apple is reaching a NEW MARKET)

5)I challenge any scenario, employing the methods I detailed above, where the iPad can not be a stand-alone product.

All ears?
  • Reply 53 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You need a computer to set up wi-fi? No. You simply need to access the routers CP via a browser. Why couldn't you access your routers control panel via the web browser on the 'pad? you confuse me.

To securely set up a router, you do need physical access, a Ethernet port. Especially if your locked out somehow or need to update the firmware.

Also unless you want to suffer with even slower than now 3G speeds, your going to need wifi and a broadband connection, which set up properly, your going to need a computer.

Or you can pay someone to set up the router for you too.

The iPad is not a replacement for a computer, it's a learning device for the computer illiterate and those who can never learn a computer and need a lot of hand holding.

I doubt a lot of real power users will find a use for this iPad device for themselves.
  • Reply 54 of 164
    Quote:

To securely set up a router, you do need physical access, a Ethernet port. Especially if your locked out somehow.

Nope, you don't. You simply need to tap into the routers CP via a browser (196.168.2.1 or equiv) use the default username and password as stated in the router documentation. If you turn on security settings, WEP or whatever, the router reboots, you lose you connection, once router rebooted, you connect to it and enter the password. It's how i've configured every household I've ever set up wi-fi for.

I'm not talking advanced functionality, repeater bridges and the like, I'm talking getting connected to the net - if you've forgotten your password or are locked out and it's your router, you simply reset it to factory default using the reset switch.
  • Reply 55 of 164
    Quote:

What the catalyst will be for the iPad, Wolf said, remains to be seen.

The price.
  • Reply 56 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Time will show the following, And Answers, to your incorrect conclusions:

1) You do NOT need any computer, Mac or PC, to fully use an iPad.

I think you'll find you do in fact need a computer....when purchasing an iPod touch or iPhone you need to connect it to iTunes in order to set it up and register etc...

Also in their specs page a Mac or PC is listed under required hardware!

I think Apple should definitely sell it as a functioning standalone iPad - but I honestly don't think they are!?
  • Reply 57 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by julesburt View Post

I think you'll find you do in fact need a computer....when purchasing an iPod touch or iPhone you need to connect it to iTunes in order to set it up and register etc...

Also in their specs page a Mac or PC is listed under required hardware!

I think Apple should definitely sell it as a functioning standalone iPad - but I honestly don't think they are!?

Nope, that's not correct. You need an internet connection to register the device, if you so wish - but as this is not a contract based device, there is no activation or similar required.

And the required hardware is listed as a footnote for those who wish to sync to their itunes, iPhoto collection - it's all down there in small print - it's like saying "warning: may contain nuts" on the side of packet of peanuts.

It is a new sector device, it is being sold as a stand alone device.
  • Reply 58 of 164
    I actually think the analyst isn't being particular insightful.

Turn the concept on it's head.

The App Store is doing great - the iPad itself is the catalyst that brings those apps to the "saturation" level she describes.
  • Reply 59 of 164
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think the iPad could also become the ultimate TV remote controller.

With no IR? How would it talk to the TV?
  • Reply 60 of 164
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

To securely set up a router, you do need physical access, a Ethernet port. Especially if your locked out somehow or need to update the firmware.

Also unless you want to suffer with even slower than now 3G speeds, your going to need wifi and a broadband connection, which set up properly, your going to need a computer.

Or you can pay someone to set up the router for you too.

The iPad is not a replacement for a computer, it's a learning device for the computer illiterate and those who can never learn a computer and need a lot of hand holding.

I doubt a lot of real power users will find a use for this iPad device for themselves.

You're a idiot. The 'power user' of the Mac world is a media professional. They will be first in line for this device, me included. Can you work out why dumbfuck?