Apple seen moving 2M iPads in 2010 before sales 'catalyst' emerges

Comments

• Reply 121 of 164

I saw this on another thread... it should be required reading for computer 101 circa 2010!

http://stevenf.tumblr.com/post/35922...uters-ive-been

• Reply 122 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

My dad has an iPhone, he does not have a computer. Go figure.

How does he update it without a computer? Maybe somewhere down the line this device will be standalone, but if it's anything like the iPhone it won't be. The thing is tethered to iTunes. Your dad can't add photos, music or videos without either connecting via a computer or buying from the store.

2 million seems a bit conservative though. I just hope that second update (with iSight) comes quickly enough!
  • Reply 123 of 164
    Quote:

Back ups are not part of the day to day function of this device, but I guess you could always plug in an external hard drive, or back up to an SD card.

You don't 'need' to sync to itunes if you don't have a computer, it runs it's own version of iTunes with full access to the store.

The device does not need 'activating', it is not a phone, it is not subject to any contract.

You need an internet connection to register a device on line, if you want to - oh yes - it has one of those.

Why don't people get that this is a new device category and it can absolutely stand alone. my dad has an iPhone, he does not have a computer. Go figure.

The device doesn't need to be registered however it does need to be hooked up to iTunes. What do you think when you turn on your iPod touch for the first time that little iTunes symbol is there just for the fun of it?

iPods and the iPhone are not stand alone units. This is directly from Apple.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP570

Mac system requirements

Mac computer with USB 2.0 port

Mac OS X v10.4.11 or later

iTunes 9 or later9

Windows system requirements

PC with USB 2.0 port

Windows Vista or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later

iTunes 9 or later9
  • Reply 124 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

No we get it. That's the problem. It not for anything but basically being entertained or viewing information. Yawn.

Yeah, and NOOOOOBODY wants to "view information" or be "entertained".

I mean, what the hell is "information" is only stuff that you may want or need to know and it can only come in a variety of forms such as text, pictures, video, spoken word or music. Sheesh - who needs "information"? I mean, why should my mother, living in Portugal, who doesn't know how to operate a full OS want "information" about her family that can't be transmitted over the phone (like video or pictures).

And no-one really needs to be entertained, do they? No one wants it, no one needs it. Just because "entertainment" has been around since the dawn of civilization, doesn't mean it's going to stick anyway. I predict the demise of entertainment within the next five years (that's the analyst in me).

"Information". "Entertainment". Pathetic.
  • Reply 125 of 164
    trip1extrip1ex Posts: 109member
    I won't need to get a Touch or a Macbook after this purchase.

Was going to get a Macbook for a 2nd computer for the family, but this iPad looks like it will do the job and cover a base we don't have covered by being an ebook reader and convenient browser etc. WE have an iMac for heavy duty work.

Thought about getting a Touch next-gen when they put a camera in one, but that desire will be much less after I get an iPad. True Touch is much more portable, and iPad doesn't have camera, but porting in the car or to Doctor's office etc. is enough portability for us.
  • Reply 126 of 164
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rollerborges View Post

And that's the whole point of the simple, intuitive interface. It just makes sense - poke the message you want to read and if you really get lost, just press the one and only button and start again - poke the mail thingy, poke the message, swipe stuff up and down... easy.

Yes, and this is where the idea of not allowing multitasking makes sense. It is very hard to get confused for the people like my mom. The window you see is the only one running. How simple can it get. I'd like to be able to switch on multi tasking but i must say I don't suffer because I can't. Its a limitation but not a deal breaker. For MOST people it simplifies and thus makes the experience better.
  • Reply 127 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I saw this on another thread... it should be required reading for computer 101 circa 2010!

http://stevenf.tumblr.com/post/35922...uters-ive-been

He makes some very good points (though he could have done in about half as many words).
  • Reply 128 of 164
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kendoka View Post

If Apple do not include an IR output in the iPad, third parties (Logitech?) will surely make a smallish, battery operated bluetooth/WiFi->IR device that you simply tape to the underside of your TV-table.

I've been waiting and waiting to use my iPhone as a TV remote with no joy. I used to use my Palm Treo as a TV remote, and my Sony Clie (an ancient PalmOS device) before that.

Why hasn't anybody done it yet for the iTouch/iPhone?
  • Reply 129 of 164
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It is a new paradigm in computing, but the apps that will become available for it will make it something much more than merely a device for media consumption.

What will they make it?
  • Reply 130 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

I've been waiting and waiting to use my iPhone as a TV remote with no joy. I used to use my Palm Treo as a TV remote, and my Sony Clie (an ancient PalmOS device) before that.

Why hasn't anybody done it yet for the iTouch/iPhone?

I use my iPhone as a remote for my Apple TV. I love it - much easier than the incessant clicking of the remote. As much maligned as the Apple TV is, we get great use out of it renting movies and streaming music, video & photos to the living room.
  • Reply 131 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Hopefully as you get older you will ditch the need to find a way to be right and instead simply shoot for a rational discussion.

Good luck hoping. My guess is, the guy is probably a cynical old person without much of a life.

And, if he wasn't, I'd say 'bite your tongue'! Can you not imagine the many years of suffering that AI will have to go through while he's on the path of self-discovery to become mature!? Perish the thought......
  • Reply 132 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lopsided View Post

Even if the iPad eats into iPod touch sales, what's so bad about that?

iPad = $499+, touch = $199<. Sales increase, revenues increase, and as long as margins increase everybody should be happy!

Now, that's a sensible post!
  • Reply 133 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You got that right. You might as well be wearing a sign, "Look at me! I am an iDouchebag!"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Not to mention if you pull out an iPad on the NYC subway you might as well wear a sign on your forehead that reads "MUG ME".

Isn't it pretty much the same effects as using an Ipod or Iphone with blaring white headphones? NY subways are hardly that dangerous during normal business hours and you're no more likeley to get mugged for an Ipad than you are any other Apple product.

Quote:

That's a nice dream you have. Doubtful it will be true. The most press the iPad has gotten has been the joke of the name that they gave it. The MadTV iPad parody has gotten more views than when it originally aired.

Guess you didn't watch the grammy's. FYI 25.8 million people did. You can't get better press than that and it's still early in the game.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The iPad is a not a computer geek thing, it's not all that powerful or feature rich. Most have already heard that the iPad sports a camera, so they are going to wait for the better version to come out.

You're probably right about the "fanatics" won't be breaking down the doors. This product will sell well over time. The Apple stores are key for this product because it seems everyone has doubts untill they use it. I don't see how you can claim it's not powerful and feature rich. Obviously you miss the point, the software is what gives this sort of device it's power and many of it's features.

Quote:

And since you don't live in the USA, you don't know how things work. People have to set up their own Wi-Fi networks with their own wireless routers in the USA.

Dude, you are completely exaggerating and making Americans seem like complete morons. I'm sure things aren't any different in the UK or anywhere else in the world. They still use the same protocols and hardware. Ignore this guy! Hillstones, do some research before you form an opinion. From what I can tell, nearly 227 million Americans (74% of the population) has broadband internet. Seems like Americans can hook up the "interwebs" just fine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think the iPad could also become the ultimate TV remote controller.

Word. It would make a pretty good game controller for the ATV as well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

When you start seeing people carrying them around, you should grow some balls and tell that to them to their face.

Maybe he needs to grow some "Hillstones" instead. With my commute (90 miles north of NYC) I can get pretty testy on the train and would probably get arrested shortly after that line was delivered. (laughing as I say that of course)
  • Reply 134 of 164
    Quote:

OK, you mean I don't know how things work in the USA, not how things "work" - there is a world outside the US you know. And it's where Apple sell a majority of their products.

You need a computer to set up wi-fi? No. You simply need to access the routers CP via a browser. Why couldn't you access your routers control panel via the web browser on the 'pad? you confuse me.

Also, "if you want to put your "own" music and videos on it" - Well Apple want you to buy content on line. Of course this thing will have even MORE potential if hooked up to a computer, but it's not necessary in order to own the device. But look at your logic - if someone currently doesn't have a home computer, then they're not going to have their "own" digital media to transfer. If they do already have a computer then there's no issue.

I don't understand your logic. At all.

These are valid points! Just because that's the way we do it in the US, doesn't mean that it's the best way (not to mention the only way).

A Non-Apple router's CP should be accessible via a browser.

AFAIK, Apple router's CP is not accessible through a browser.

However Apple computers come with an Airport Utility that automatically finds nearby routers and provides configuration access.

No reason this utility can't be made to run on an iPad (even automatically, if no WiFi is defined).

To make it even easier, Apple could offer package deals with 3rd-party router mfgrs., Internet providers, modem manufacturers, etc. to offer preconfigured 1-step plug-and-play Internet access solutions.

Add to that a 3-month Introductory (free trial) subscription to MobileMe, along with online iTunes stores and you are good to go... no [other] computer required!

• Reply 135 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

I am no genius but I'll bet my house that what you see in this video will NEVER EVER succeed "touch-wise"....EVER!! (http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/01/e...t-strictly-me/)

Wow that made me cringe and it should help people understand why the ipad is going to do just fine. Consumers are generally underestimated and I think Steve understands that people do know what works best for them.
  • Reply 136 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

To securely set up a router, you do need physical access, a Ethernet port. Especially if your locked out somehow or need to update the firmware.

Also unless you want to suffer with even slower than now 3G speeds, your going to need wifi and a broadband connection, which set up properly, your going to need a computer.

Or you can pay someone to set up the router for you too.

The iPad is not a replacement for a computer, it's a learning device for the computer illiterate and those who can never learn a computer and need a lot of hand holding.

I doubt a lot of real power users will find a use for this iPad device for themselves.

Gee! I have had every model of Airport and Airport Extreme since they were introduced!

All networks were/are secure, software/firmware updated, debugged and maintained without ever using the Ethernet port.

Last week I installed the latest OS X update on an early 17" iMac Intel (Developer System) that sits beside my bed upstairs. After reboot the Mac didn't recognize the browser. I could have gone downstairs an rebooted the Airport... but being lazy, I just fired up the Airport Utility and rebooted it remotely (WiFi).

I guess, like the bumblebee, I just don't know any better (that I can't fly without an Ethernet port)!

BTW, as a user of Canvas, Photoshop, FC Studio, Silhouette, etc, along with being an iPhone Developer, Web Developer, and a user of computers since 1956 (my first assembler used Octal Absolute)-- I consider myself to be a Power user.

I see great potential in the iPad for people (professionals and laymen) who are interest in results rather than archaic process.

• Reply 137 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

All of those devices had IR built in didn't they?. Either apple would have to add IR or we need hardware to translate wifi transmitted signals into IR extender port with some good software. I guess the "god remote" makers would rather sell you their remote. But that sounds silly since they could sell you and App and hardware instead.
  • Reply 138 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dixonge View Post

I think most of the discussion so far has been regarding the super-sizing of existing iPhone apps. But Apple's entire suite of iWork apps should set the bar much higher. I wouldn't even try to speculate on sales figures, except that Apple's own targets will be exceeded and a few years from now the total number of iPads in the wild will exceed most numbers any pundit has thrown out there.

Couldn't agree more. For example, every salesman who makes sales calls and presentations should want one of these. Every company employing salesmen or field service people should want an App that can access their corporate database. Every realtor should want to take one of these along when they're showing houses or office space to a client.

It's the killer combination of a great display, ease of use, and ubiquitous connectivity at a much lower cost than we've seen previously.

The Internet has had a dramatic impact on our lives. One of the main reasons it became popular so quickly would be the early emergence of ISPs like Earthlink who offered very low cost access at a fixed rate with no metered usage charges. Customers loved that model and flocked to it. Phone companies lamented the fact that they hadn't acted quickly enough to get control of it and to get their toll booths on every Internet entry point and node. Now we have the coming together of cellular phone networks and the internet. The phone companies want those toll booths. The customers want those low fixed monthly rates. The pricing model for the iPad's 3G data plan is a breakthrough for customers.
  • Reply 139 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Object-X View Post

I think they are grossly underestimating the impact of this device and it's entry level price point. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Apple sells close to 10 million in the first year. Nor do I think it will have a significant impact on iPod Touch sales either; those numbers will continue to increase. For the price of a MacBook Pro I'm going to be buying my family three right at the start. Even my 80 year old father is asking me about one.

10 million seems a bit high the first year since there'll only be 8 months, but I can definitely see 5 million since I feel that Apple can easily double iPad sales over the Amazon Kindle's supposedly 2 million units. I'm sure older people could definitely have a use for a simple internet device, but I think children are going to bug their parents to death to get one. I also agree on the point that it will become the must-have device of 2010 even if there isn't much use for it. Heck, it even makes a cool photo album display device in the living room.

I just hope my Apple fanboy and investor enthusiasm isn't getting the best of me. I'm certain I'm going to buy one at some point in time and use it in turn with all my other Apple devices. I'll bet Apple is going to drop prices on the iPod Touch and the Touch will quickly eat into PSP and DS device sales if the iPad doesn't. I can't wait to try out an iPad. I see on the Apple site there is a statement that they'll let people know when they can start ordering them. So I'm assuming Apple will likely have pre-orders for the iPad before they go on sale.

Ever increasing media content for the iPad: http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...00639&vnsId=41
  • Reply 140 of 164
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

How does he update it without a computer? Maybe somewhere down the line this device will be standalone, but if it's anything like the iPhone it won't be. The thing is tethered to iTunes. Your dad can't add photos, music or videos without either connecting via a computer or buying from the store.

2 million seems a bit conservative though. I just hope that second update (with iSight) comes quickly enough!

You're just wrong. He has photos that he's taken with the camera and people have emailed to him, he buys his music through iTunes. The phone works as well as it did day one and runs fine - he's happy.

There's a difference between something being an added bonus and something being a requirement.

The iPad is a stand alone device. It is an additional device. It can be either.