Eccentric but effective Steve Jobs pitches iPad to NYT execs

Comments

• Reply 81 of 162
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

I believe he used a new app called "sentences". It produces nonsensical sentences that appear to mean something.

This technique is popular for shirt designs here in Japan.

For example "Love is the creation of spirituality at the origin". Appears to actually mean something but means nothing.

p.s. The Mango Lassi is VERY popular in Japan.

yes we have seen these communist like t shirts for yrs

fresh fish dairy

and every thing is popular in japan

for 8 minutes
  • Reply 82 of 162
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Did anyone report on what ply toilet tissue was issued in the bathroom in the restaurant? It's only slightly less important than this story, but still a little relevant.

According to one privy individual who asked not to be named else he be "executed" (air quoted, indeed):
    Quote:

Also noted was that Steve took one bathroom break at 8:47pm. He was in the stall for 4 mintues 23 seconds, dropped 13 nickel-sized turds into the commode, 4 of which floated. Steve wiped 3 times using 6 sheets of paper, stood up and turned to face his "little buddies". He named three of them Lisa and the rest Steve. He hummed taps as he flushed and held his fancy hat to his chest in reverence.

Allegedly.
  • Reply 83 of 162
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Do people really give a **** what Jobs ate/drank? All I care about is if he's getting RESULTS!

Then again, I find the idolatry of Jobs quite creepy at times.

Success breeds contempt.
  • Reply 84 of 162
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Valleywag is offering $100,000 for picture of the hat. Apple Legal cease & Desist soon to follow.

• Reply 85 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

According to one privey individual who asked not to be name else he be "executed" (air quoted, indeed):

Allegedly.

• Reply 86 of 162
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah, I get it! Since I live up in the woods (a rural environment), where portable space is at a discount (meaning in abundant supply), I can just tote my Mac Pro with me! Who needs an iPad!

He never said that. By your method, if he said "The iPad would look good on my coffee table" you would think it equivalent to "The iPad would look bad elsewhere".

Learn some basic logic. You'll understand the world better if you do.
  • Reply 87 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Success breeds contempt.

TRUE!!!

Steve also showed up at the newest NYC store - upper west side - the one featured in his presentation last week announcing the ipad.

You might say the staff were thrilled. The customers didn't seem to realize who was in their presence.

He did give away 6 free iPads to some lucky people!

* okay, just kidding about the free iPads.

• Reply 88 of 162
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

I believe he used a new app called "sentences". It produces nonsensical sentences that appear to mean something.

For example "Love is the creation of spirituality at the origin". Appears to actually mean something but means nothing.

That's not new - our political leaders have been using that app for generations - not so long ago I listen to someone - state governor I think it was - speak at a rally for at least 30 minutes and all along everything he said sounded good but when I tried to extract any meaning whatsoever from what he said in the end it was meaningless - devoid of any meaning - just buzz words and circular logic that got the crowd excited but accomplished nothing but perhaps increasing this guy's recognition with his constituents.
  • Reply 89 of 162
    Slim also bought out CompUSA...we all know what happened to it...
  • Reply 90 of 162
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Goodness! Private jet to NYC. Don't tell me iPad is not subsidized...
  • Reply 91 of 162
  • Reply 92 of 162
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    If NYTimes executives have any brains left, they would jump on this opportunity to experiment with a different kind of revenue. The sad thing is they don't even know how to reach their audience anymore so readers would be willing to paid for content.

I would not be sad to see more failing publishers to go out of business...sooner rather than later might actually force people in print industry to re-think what they are really selling in a digital age. The laughable part is no one learn a damn thing from music industry and it continues to to fight and struggle against digital music.
  • Reply 93 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

If NYTimes executives have any brains left, they would jump on this opportunity to experiment with a different kind of revenue. The sad thing is they don't even know how to reach their audience anymore so readers would be willing to paid for content.

I would not be sad to see more failing publishers to go out of business...sooner rather than later might actually force people in print industry to re-think what they are really selling in a digital age. The laughable part is no one learn a damn thing from music industry and it continues to to fight and struggle against digital music.

Same thing over and over - housing bubble did not learn from the tech stock bubble did not learn from the (fill in your favorite bubble) did not learn from the railroad bubble - and on and on we go.
  • Reply 94 of 162
    Folks,

if you want to know how the iPad is being advertised in Germany and how it will change the media and everything, check this link. Start at 0:47.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpdRq3Gl_KY

Of course its more funny if you understand German.
  • Reply 95 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Do people really give a **** what Jobs ate/drank? All I care about is if he's getting RESULTS!

Then again, I find the idolatry of Jobs quite creepy at times.

It's very signifigant in that it shows that he is out and about and healthy enough not only to travel and eat "regular" food but to be active in the promotion of a product that will get you your results.
  • Reply 96 of 162
    I have been a life long Apple customer (grew up on Macs and still to this day swear by them- 26 years later). I just don't think the iPad will be a hit in the way iPod or iPhone were. The reason is that it doesn't do anything different from an iPod- it just has a bigger screen. It is just an iPod Touch Pro that you can access 3G with (from AT&T who sucks btw). Correct me if I am wrong on this one but why exactly would people like me want to lug around an iPod Touch and an iPad? There is no way I could charge my iPad from my work computer's USB port (it is too big and therefore too conspicuous in a work environ) the same way I could charge my iPod touch. It is an at home device and therefore only WiFi is needed - 3G would be great for the iPod touch but not the iPad.

I think that Apple missed the mark on this product. But even so, they have been on fire for the past decade and should be recognized as the best technology company on earth. One mistake every 10 years ain't bad (and the iPad is still better than the Zune and Windows Vista!!!).

Any thoughts?
  • Reply 97 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Jobs or Ballmer?

Steve.
  • Reply 98 of 162
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

Any thoughts?

The current meme is that the 'Pad is for folks who are unable to use a real computer, and that the rest of us are not the target market.

I question this assessment, however.
  • Reply 99 of 162
    Quote:

Land of haiku and noh, no?
  • Reply 100 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Learn some basic logic. You'll understand the world better if you do.

Ah, if anyone needs a lesson in the different forms of dialectical reasoning, it is surely you.

You'll get it some day!