Eccentric but effective Steve Jobs pitches iPad to NYT execs

Comments

• Reply 101 of 162
    You people are crazy if you think the equivalent of the NYT is just out there on the internet.

Sure, and The New Yorker is just out there as well.

People will pay for these products just like they do other premium products.

The NYT has these people called...reporters. Now maybe they'll all be entering stuff into iPAds in the future but they will be needed.
  • Reply 102 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boss1 View Post

reminds me of Batman "The Dark Knight" , when the Joker walks into the gathering of criminals and shoves a pencil into some guys head as a magic trick.

Not trying to paint Steve in a bad light, just a random thought that popped into my head as I read this article.

Oh, and in case anyone is interested (it's non alcoholic ) But definitely a drink that could use a 2 to 3 ounces of vodka imo :

Mango Lassi Recipe:

INGREDIENTS

1 cup plain yogurt

1/2 cup milk

1 cup chopped mango (peeled and stone removed)

4 teaspoons sugar, to taste

A dash of ground cardamom (optional)

METHOD

Put mango, yogurt, milk, sugar and cardamom into a blender and blend for 2 minutes, then pour into individual glasses, and serve. Can sprinkle with a little cardamom.

The lassi can be kept refrigerated for up to 24 hours.

Makes about 2 cups.

ugh. vodka would curdle the dairy.
  • Reply 103 of 162
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

That's not new - our political leaders have been using that app for generations - not so long ago I listen to someone - state governor I think it was - speak at a rally for at least 30 minutes and all along everything he said sounded good but when I tried to extract any meaning whatsoever from what he said in the end it was meaningless - devoid of any meaning - just buzz words and circular logic that got the crowd excited but accomplished nothing but perhaps increasing this guy's recognition with his constituents.

I remember coming to the same realization when I was quite young and one of my relatives was really into Jimmy Swaggart. I'd try to find the point of what he was talking about, but there wasn't one. Just meaningless banter expressed with great enthusiasm and oratory skill. After I understood that, I started to have more fun analyzing the techniques he was using to hypnotize people.

So I think you can trace the origins of this app back even further with spiritual leaders. I believe there was an Abacus version prior to the invention of the computer.
  • Reply 104 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

Yeah. Vodka is better combined with plain old mango juice (and a twist of lemon/lime).
  • Reply 105 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Ha ha! You should really use the dictionary before opening your crevice!

Not sure which crap dictionary you're using that enters colloquial mistakes in as definitions, but Merriam Webster and the Oxford English Dictionary disagree with you.
  • Reply 106 of 162
    Quote:

Has nobody been a bartender? This is the 3rd time this week I've been given stupid reasons for dairy curdling (2 IRL).

Vodka doesn't make dairy curdle. Ever.

White Russian:

1.5oz vodka

.75oz kahlua

.75oz cream

Turn that into a Colorado / Georgia Bulldog by adding Coke or Soda Water, respectively - and even the citric acid in the Coca Cola won't begin the dairy curdling.

Chocolate Martinis made with dairy are Vodka, Creme de Cacao, cream.

Mudslides are equal parts vodka, baileys, kahlua, and cream.

Dairy curdles from liquors/mixers that have ACID in them.

Drinks that curdle:

Cement Mixer - Baileys and Lime Juice

Irish Car Bomb - Baileys dropped in a pint of Guiness, which is high in acid

Adding vodka to the mango lassi won't made it curdle at all.
  • Reply 107 of 162
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petertemplar View Post

You people are crazy if you think the equivalent of the NYT is just out there on the internet.

How is NYT.com not equivalent? And how is news.google.com not superior?

What am I missing?
  • Reply 108 of 162
    Quote:

How does Bailey's Irish Cream avoid that?
  • Reply 109 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I'd try to find the point of what he was talking about, but there wasn't one. Just meaningless banter expressed with great enthusiasm and oratory skill. After I understood that, I started to have more fun analyzing the techniques he was using to hypnotize people.

I enjoy doing that with Rush. I point out examples to my kids when they are in the car and Rush is on the radio. He is masterful with that technique. He knows how to sound like he is actually making a cogent point without letting a single sound bite slip through. A common technique is to set up a point, start the conclusory sentence, and then digress before he ever states any conclusion.

He's masterful.
  • Reply 110 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah. Vodka is better combined with plain old mango juice (and a twist of lemon/lime).

I drank Vodka Gimlets for years. Vodka and lime juice on the rocks. They are yummy if you use good vodka and fresh limes.

Now I prefer good Bourbon, but I don't drink often.
  • Reply 111 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

I highly doubt New Yorkers will be as gullible as Hollywood's music industry.

Though again they are a very liberal news rag and he does have that Al Gore connection.

should have known from your constant non-sequitur remarks and overflow of misinformation you were on a political slant that openly denies the reality of the rest of world adheres to.

I am disappointed that it took me so long to figure this out..

You throw out buzzwords, should have connected the dots sooner...

let's see guillible Hollywood Music...as if There are not equal if not larger music industry on the east coast...since music is only hollywood's venture...and nothing comes chicago, the rest of the midwest.

liberal news rag/Al Gore Connection...Right and I am sure you think that Al Gore claims that only he invented the internet too...
  • Reply 112 of 162
    is that Art Vandelay Industries?

are you an architect?
  • Reply 113 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

is there a name for that.. like Indian Screwdriver (OJ and Vodka?)
  • Reply 114 of 162
    Quote:

I only reason I see Steve there at the Times is to get free press, NY is a very large target market and slim reading devices like the iPad actually might work well in a city environment where portable space is at a premium and laptops just too clunky and vulnerable.

Oh yes, Steve envisions people on the subway and in cabs reading the NY Times on their iPads. -MacTripper

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

As long as you don't try to down load the Times using ATT 3G. We know what crappy service the iPhone has in NYC.

If your going to quote me, enclose my statements with the [qoute] [/qoute] tags. (purposely misspelled to appear in the post)

• Reply 115 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tegeril View Post

Not sure which crap dictionary you're using that enters colloquial mistakes in as definitions, but Merriam Webster and the Oxford English Dictionary disagree with you.

Ahh yes, I see my mistake. The Thesaurus results were displayed next to Dictionary results, dam these old eyes, years of glossy screens I tell you!!
  • Reply 116 of 162
    Quote:

Ahh yes, I see my mistake. The Thesaurus results were displayed next to Dictionary results, dam these old eyes, years of glossy screens I tell you!!

concedes that you are wrong but still leave room for a passive-aggressive jab at apple....

now that's classy....
  • Reply 117 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

I have been a life long Apple customer (grew up on Macs and still to this day swear by them- 26 years later). I just don't think the iPad will be a hit in the way iPod or iPhone were. The reason is that it doesn't do anything different from an iPod- it just has a bigger screen. It is just an iPod Touch Pro that you can access 3G with (from AT&T who sucks btw). Correct me if I am wrong on this one but why exactly would people like me want to lug around an iPod Touch and an iPad? There is no way I could charge my iPad from my work computer's USB port (it is too big and therefore too conspicuous in a work environ) the same way I could charge my iPod touch. It is an at home device and therefore only WiFi is needed - 3G would be great for the iPod touch but not the iPad.

I think that Apple missed the mark on this product. But even so, they have been on fire for the past decade and should be recognized as the best technology company on earth. One mistake every 10 years ain't bad (and the iPad is still better than the Zune and Windows Vista!!!).

Any thoughts?

I'm like you and I don't see a need for the iPad that can't be better served by a real computer like a Mac.

In fact I was rather upset that Apps didn't come to OS X in the form of DA's or Widgets. I knew something was up when that didn't occur, the love for Mac's was gone for a new device and something else entirely. Now we know what it is.

What Apple is doing with the iPad is making a content consumption device, not a computing type device like a Mac is.

What I'm afraid of is that people will opt for the consumption device more and more as features are added to the point that Mac's are discontinued due to lack of sales.

Software like SnapProZ, Little Snitch and Carbon Copy Cloner, which Apple detests, wouldn't get a presence on the new device.

Apple has already kicked off Google Voice for starters, which is available on many other phones.

And what was the name of that company that made widgets for OS X before Apple came out with their own and erased them off their platform? Yea, I forgot already because Apple has controlling mind share presence.

So I guess we are all going to forget Mac's and the open OS UI of OS X in favor of the closed App Store world.

What a frigging pity.
  • Reply 118 of 162
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

I enjoy doing that with Rush. I point out examples to my kids when they are in the car and Rush is on the radio. He is masterful with that technique. He knows how to sound like he is actually making a cogent point without letting a single sound bite slip through. A common technique is to set up a point, start the conclusory sentence, and then digress before he ever states any conclusion.

I assume you mean Limbaugh and not the band. Unless there's something subliminal in their music which I'm missing...

(I'm Canadian, so the band is much more visible here than Limbaugh)

But yeah, I've always felt that classes in basic logic and analytical skills should added to the general curriculum in schools (starting around age 10 or so). Good to hear that you're making your kids aware.
  • Reply 119 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

I have been a life long Apple customer (grew up on Macs and still to this day swear by them- 26 years later). I just don't think the iPad will be a hit in the way iPod or iPhone were. The reason is that it doesn't do anything different from an iPod- it just has a bigger screen. It is just an iPod Touch Pro that you can access 3G with (from AT&T who sucks btw). Correct me if I am wrong on this one but why exactly would people like me want to lug around an iPod Touch and an iPad? There is no way I could charge my iPad from my work computer's USB port (it is too big and therefore too conspicuous in a work environ) the same way I could charge my iPod touch. It is an at home device and therefore only WiFi is needed - 3G would be great for the iPod touch but not the iPad.

I think that Apple missed the mark on this product. But even so, they have been on fire for the past decade and should be recognized as the best technology company on earth. One mistake every 10 years ain't bad (and the iPad is still better than the Zune and Windows Vista!!!).

Any thoughts?

the iphone blew people away because it was totally new (the top selling phone in 2007, prior to iphone was a RAZR). people see the ipad and say meh, "it's been done before"... so the wow factor is not the same because the mechanics are the same. BUT...

pay attention to the demos at the keynote, and ignore everything but the chrome. there are new UI elements introduced, and new interaction paradigms that are hard to appreciate unless you actually use it (NOT that i've used it).. overall I think the keynote demos were pretty poor because they didn't split the screen and show the hands on one side, and the screen on the other.

initially, it wont take off like the iphone, there will not be hours long lines to buy, but that will change by summer. once new or pad specific apps start to hit the store and more and more people get their hands on it they'll realize that this isn't just a big ipod.

the iphone introduced intuitive mechanics: tap, flick, pinch.

the pad will introudce a [more] intuitive interface.. the quality and robustness of an app mean nothing w/o an intuitive interface. there's only so much you can do on the phone screen, as slick as the mechanics are the bigger screen means more/new innovations that utilize the same mechanics we already know (and dare I say.. now EXPECT?).. it's just that this time.. you have a bigger screen which means you can now support apps that simply wouldn't work due to the screen realestate limitations on the phone.

is it still a big ipod if they build apps that just won't work on a small screen?

apple threw down a blank canvas, the new iwork apps are "demos" of what's possible.. it's up to the devs to take those concepts and run with them.
  • Reply 120 of 162
    Quote:

I'm like you and I don't see a need for the iPad that can't be better served by a real computer like a Mac.

In fact I was rather upset that Apps didn't come to OS X in the form of DA's or Widgets. I knew something was up when that didn't occur, the love for Mac's was gone for a new device and something else entirely. Now we know what it is.

What Apple is doing with the iPad is making a content consumption device, not a computing type device like a Mac is.

What I'm afraid of is that people will opt for the consumption device more and more as features are added to the point that Mac's are discontinued due to lack of sales.

Software like SnapProZ, Little Snitch and Carbon Copy Cloner, which Apple detests, wouldn't get a presence on the new device.

Apple has already kicked off Google Voice for starters, which is available on many other phones.

And what was the name of that company that made widgets for OS X before Apple came out with their own and erased them off their platform? Yea, I forgot already because Apple has controlling mind share presence.

So I guess we are all going to forget Mac's and the open OS UI of OS X in favor of the closed App Store world.

What a frigging pity.

My sentiments expounded exactly. Closed systems aren't good in countries (N. Korea or Cuba) and certainly not in consumer products. Apple has always fashioned itself as creative, free spirited, etc but it is on closer examination one of the most dictatorial corporations (maybe that has led to its success, much like China being a closed regime and having an off the charts GDP growth)...It is an interesting topic and one that I am sure will be studied at universities in the future...