Unannounced Core i7 Apple MacBook Pro benchmarks surface

Comments

• Reply 61 of 124
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

The MBP only gets a 4 hour battery life? My i7 Quad core Dell Studio 15 lasts longer than that. It has the optional high capacity battery.

That's nice - do Dell's computers run OS X?
  • Reply 62 of 124
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Speaking of repercussion, the battery in the Quad Core-i7 Envy is awful. I can't imagine that is a viable trade off for Apple.

most people like myself rarely use the laptop without it being plugged in. 3 hours of battery is almost always plenty for me.
  • Reply 63 of 124
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

most people like myself rarely use the laptop without it being plugged in. 3 hours of battery is almost always plenty for me.

Is that really most people? If so, then what is the point for most people having a truly portable computer? Would people use them more remotely if the batteries lasted longer? I plug mine in after about 6 hours. Regardless of the inconvenience, I have no choice but to plug it in if I want to continue using it.
  • Reply 64 of 124
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    'Bout time, thats all I can say. I hope they are going to use discreet switchable AMD graphics for the whole MBP lineup. Even for the bottom line 13 inch, leaving the graphics to the on board IGP on Arrandale is unacceptable at its price, although being Apple it would still sell.
  • Reply 65 of 124
    Quote:

Can't you just return it?

Why on earth would I return something that works great and does everything I need because something a little faster (and most likely no other difference) came out soon after? Sure, it would have been nice if this came out first, but this computer does everything I need (and then some). It would be a waste of a restocking fee.
  • Reply 66 of 124
    not that i'm going to whine... but apple decided to replace my old macbook pro (due to logic board issues) with a brand new unibody macbook pro. They screwed up that old one way too many times via apple care... Long story short, the order for the new unibody macbook pro was placed on Feb 5, 2010 and it will arrive around Feb 10... Do you think Apple would just give me the new i7/i5 specs since I had it customized for the antiglare screen?

The order clearly states it's a C2D, but I've heard reports that people received mac minis in the past with upgraded processors that contradict their order forms...
  • Reply 67 of 124
    It seems to me that Apple is holding their MBP Upgrades back until Nvidia finishes testing on their optimus technology, as reported by some hardware sites.

Why do i think so? Well, i was getting suspicious over a statement you can read on the Hardmac Website.

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2010/01/...HardMac.com%29

According to them, they got word that the technology will be able to switch between the integrated GPU and the dGPU, yet you can´t read any details about that in Nvidias official Blog. In fact, there are no details at all on their blog entry of january, only a simple announcement which states that we should wait until next month. So Hardmac´s claim is either fake or Nvidia might have signed an NDA until the new Macbooks are announced, which seems more likely to me.
  • Reply 68 of 124
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

With the latest MBP, Apple redesigned the battery. Instead of having a battery compartment, they removed the compartment and designed a larger battery to fit there.

So it was just a bigger battery?
  • Reply 69 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Or you can read about it: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/battery/

Thanks. The MBP battery life is truly impressive.
  • Reply 70 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

That's nice - do Dell's computers run OS X?

Dunno. Why would anybody want to?

There's at least 140,000 full applications for my Dell, with over 3 billion downloads. How's OSX in comparison?
  • Reply 71 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

Why on earth would I return something that works great and does everything I need because something a little faster (and most likely no other difference) came out soon after? Sure, it would have been nice if this came out first, but this computer does everything I need (and then some). It would be a waste of a restocking fee.

Too bad you bought it from Apple instead of Best Buy, eh?

There's always next time...
  • Reply 72 of 124
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:

Dunno. Why would anybody want to?

There's at least 140,000 full applications for my Dell, with over 3 billion downloads. How's OSX in comparison?

You forgot to mention there is also over 250,000 viruses for your Dell running Windows.
  • Reply 73 of 124
    By the sounds of it a Quad-Core is unlikely?

Still, I would be upgrading from a G4 1.66Ghz, so I think I *might* notice a little improvement...

ps Gotta say, though, using the G4 shows up some blatant dumb-ass design and process prioritisation "issues" in OSX.5, like the fact it is happy to let the Mail app delay the display of the login window then the typing of the password. FAIL^3.
  • Reply 74 of 124
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:

So it was just a bigger battery?

I had hoped you understood my answer to your original question,

"And what did Apple do in 2009 to increase the battery life so dramatically?"

You don't have to be a genius to understand that by redesigning the battery, as Apple did to fit into the space where they removed the battery compartment components and compressing the layers into sheets rather than cylindrical shaped cells would in essence give you a larger battery--DUH. But that is only a part of it. Go to the Apple website, as I originally suggested, and watch the clip about the battery technology @ http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features.html and click onto "Breakthrough Battery". Also read solipsism below my post that you are referring to. If you need more battery life then get an external one or carry a power cord.
  • Reply 75 of 124
    Quote:

Meh, I work right next to a mall with an Apple store and I just went and bought it during my break. Besides, I wanted to avoid BB trying to "optimize" my Mac. Or worse, saying they don't have any non pre-optimized Macs and making me pay for this service I didn't want.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Best Buy, but I just feel dubious towards some of their "Geek" Squad services.
  • Reply 76 of 124
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Oh well. I guess we'll see what happens next Tues. I suppose we would have heard by now from some friendly BestBuy employee or something.
  • Reply 77 of 124
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    Either it's gonna be a "silent" update, or February 16th then.

Back in 2008, the Penryn MBPs were introduced on Feb 16th, weren't they?
  • Reply 78 of 124
    Quote:

What would happen if he bought it from Best Buy. They allow returns if the product has been upgraded in a certain amount of time or ... ? Please explain

- DP
  • Reply 79 of 124
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baron munchausen

By the sounds of it a Quad-Core is unlikely?

There's not much point - on the mobile side it's only 25% faster and 30% more power draw. If it was say 70% faster then it would be worth it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

Either it's gonna be a "silent" update, or February 16th then.

It's become common that spec updates are silent. I think every update up until the WWDC will be silent. Not even an iPad introduction event because we've already seen it.

The laptops are needing some Core i updates ASAP so I'd expect any day now and that covers this month. I expect minor Mini and Macbook spec bumps too. Then it's Mac Pro with 6-core ( http://hothardware.com/News/Intel-De...re-Processors/ ) in March, then iPad no 3G in April, iPad w 3G in May, then new iphone + WWDC June/July and so on.
  • Reply 80 of 124
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    As if right on cue to make me look silly..http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=861917

They're coming tomorrow.

How fortunate. My MacBook screen started flickering worse than ever just this minute. It knows its replacement is on its way.