Execs say Apple could lower iPad price if market demands it - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post

I have no reception for AT&T at my house. Granted I'm in a rural area but Verizon works just fine. And with no flash player support for games and HULU what purpose would it serve.

None for you it seems so I suggest you not purchase it.
  • Reply 22 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I think the $100 premium for each storage step is the only challenge. I picture the device needing at least 32GB for what I picture myself using it for, but I would much rather pay $549 or $599 for the 64GB. That or drop the cost of the 3G version for the two upper models to $100 and $50 respectively.

I'm also a little surprised that they have 6 SKU's. So un-Apple like.

I agree, I expected to see a clip on module that used the dock connector to do 3g access or 1 model with 3g.
  • Reply 23 of 101
    Quote:

I have no reception for AT&T at my house. Granted I'm in a rural area but Verizon works just fine. And with no flash player support for games and HULU what purpose would it serve.

Are you saying the only thing the iPad would be useful for is watching streaming video from HULU? That's completely insane. Watching video on it is a great use, but it can do so many other things. Lack of Flash doesn't hinder the iPhone/iPod touch in the least.

I'm so confused when some people act surprised that there's no Flash support. It's widely known, as are the reasons behind it. (performance on mobile devices, security issues, business issues between Apple and Adobe.)
  • Reply 24 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Of course it is.

They were compensated credit to the Apple store and were only given that because of the uproar they made when Apple dropped the price. Lets not make it out to be Apple offered that up when they dropped the price, it was well after that point.

I see your point but when was the last time Dell, Hp et al gave a rebate for a price drop after you received your computer? Or honored your mail in rebate if it arrives a day after the due date? Apple's rebate was in response to people's bitching but it was also a very smart way to appease the early adapters and keep goodwill.
  • Reply 25 of 101
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    I asked my dad if he was interested in one... to which he replied

"No thanks, i'm not menstruating"

Product name is so insanely horrendous, I honestly believe that Apple has gone insane with wealth.

Cutting the price point wouldn't be nearly as effective as cutting the name and calling it something that doesn't make people think of bloody feminine hygiene products.

I've talked to over 20 people about the iYuk and not a single one is considering buying one because of name alone. People don't even care what the tech is or what it can do for them... they can't get past the name.

Seriously... SJ has lost his mind. This product will always be a joke as long as it has a joke name. Zune is looking pretty brilliant right now as a name when you compare.

Bottom line... MILLIONS of people will avoid this product because of the name alone. Don't kid yourself, a pad is something disposable and you throw away. Think hundreds of years of psyche is going to change around the term 'pad' because SJ likes to tote one around? Wrong.
  • Reply 26 of 101
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,295member
    I doubt they'll have a need to drop the price. They did a good job of managing price expectations so that the $499 price already seems low to people.

When the iPad was first announced I had a "wait and see" attitude about it. But as the weeks have gone by I have begun to see a variety of situations where having the iPad really would be very handy, and better than having either an iPhone or a MacBook. I happened to be talking to a colleague the other day who has been going through the same process -- initially unsure what to make of it, but noticing more and more opportunities to use it in her life. The big difference between her and me, though, is that she is not a computer geek at all. She has a PC laptop at home that she almost never uses and an iPhone which she always uses. The iPad is already very attractive to her. I bet she buys one shortly after they come out, as will I.
  • Reply 27 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Of course it is.

They were compensated credit to the Apple store and were only given that because of the uproar they made when Apple dropped the price. Lets not make it out to be Apple offered that up when they dropped the price, it was well after that point.

If memory serves, Apple actually dropped the price by $200 yet only gave a $100 in-store credit.
  • Reply 28 of 101
    [QUOTE=rain;1568240]I asked my dad if he was interested in one... to which he replied

Mock the name all you like, because yes for the 14 and under crowd it's quite the giggle-fest isn't it? Those that would shun a product purely because of its name probably aren't in the demographic Apple's targeting anyhow. Dunno... when I hear "iPad" I think of a pad of paper. Now maybe if they had gone with iSanitaryNapkin...
  • Reply 29 of 101
    I was most surprised at the price points, but also surprised at the low capacities. After some thought I realized that most people won't be loading their iTunes libraries into their iPad which will free up a lot of space for Keynote presentations.

Normally I argue in support of consumer choice, something Apple is notorious for denying us, but I think Apple made a mistake offering two different models of iPad with different case designs. Instead of $499 for WiFi and $629 for WiFi + 3G, I think they could have done a single model with WiFi + 3G for $549.

I just picked up a used MacBook for $400 so I'm no longer interested in the iPad, but I was never very serious about wanting one.
  • Reply 30 of 101
    Quote:

Really? The iPad has no purpose because it doesn't have flash? Maybe you should check out the website again to see what it can do.

There are a couple app's in the app store that are decent as well.
  • Reply 31 of 101
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Check the definition of the word "pad" in the dictionary. Or if you're too lazy:

1 a : a thin flat mat or cushion: as (1) : a piece of soft stuffed material used as or under a saddle (2) : padding used to shape an article of clothing (3) : a guard worn to shield body parts against impact (4) : a piece of usually folded absorbent material (as gauze) used as a surgical dressing or protective covering (5) : a component of certain brake systems (as disc brakes) consisting of a plate covered with a frictional material b : a piece of material saturated with ink for inking the surface of a rubber stamp

2 a : the foot of an animal b : the cushioned thickening of the underside of the toes of an animal

3 : a floating leaf of a water plant

4 : a collection of sheets of paper glued together at one end

5 a (1) : a section of an airstrip used for warm-ups or turnarounds (2) : an area used for helicopter takeoffs and landings b : launchpad c : a horizontal concrete surface (as for parking a mobile home)

6 a : bed b : living quarters

These feminine product jokes have been used to death already. Give it up.
  • Reply 32 of 101
    [QUOTE=PastorOfMuppets;1568256]
    Quote:

Mock the name all you like, because yes for the 14 and under crowd it's quite the giggle-fest isn't it? Those that would shun a product purely because of its name probably aren't in the demographic Apple's targeting anyhow. Dunno... when I hear "iPad" I think of a pad of paper. Now maybe if they had gone with iSanitaryNapkin...

Well, as a professional on such matters, I can assure you that the name will hurt sales.

I'm not mocking the name, however, every single person i've talked to about it is. And that sir, is something that can't be ignored.

And if you don't think every single branding company on the planet didn't choke on their coffee and go WTF??? when the name dropped at the keynote...

Personally, i'd love to see the surfPad succeed. I'm excited about designing content for it. {Inappropriate language deleted}
  • Reply 33 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

No it isn't. It's pure speculation. And if my memory serves me right weren't early iPhone adopters compensated in some form or another when the iPhone price dropped??

The Grey area in which i see a slow start for iPad at initial launch isn't so much the price, but the way in which the hardware change cycles affected the iPhone and iPod Touch.

I'm hearing this a lot from "Joe Blogs" who bought the iPhone 1st gen only for the 3G to turn up a year later. As most of the press are saying the iPad is just a big iPod Touch, some of this hype is getting across to the consumer and adding confusion.

Its about as far as you can get from speculation. Its what happens with all technology. The early adopters pay the highest price and the the least for it. Also by the way the rumor that the iPad is just a big iPod touch is true.
  • Reply 34 of 101
    [QUOTE=PastorOfMuppets;1568256]
    Quote:

Yes, I agree!

- iPad - so what? MS has had NotePad & WordPad in Windows for years, and people didn't get excited about it

- and notepad is a real word for something you write notes on

- what about Mouse-pad, for f-sake!

- so, all this fuss about iPad sounding like a sanitary-towel does seem a bit purile to me....

I think iSlate, or iTablet may have been 'cooler', but iPad works just fine, as it's just a vowel change away from iPod...
  • Reply 35 of 101
    I think the lowering of prices will be a good move. It will attract more buyers and help to create more of a buzz about the product and the on-sale date. They can't bring it down too much though. They need to start high as prices will drop eventually. Let's wait and see.

I've been keeping up with iPadLot.com for the latest news and info.
  • Reply 36 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Check the definition of the word "pad" in the dictionary. Or if you're too lazy:

1 a : a thin flat mat or cushion: as (1) : a piece of soft stuffed material used as or under a saddle (2) : padding used to shape an article of clothing (3) : a guard worn to shield body parts against impact (4) : a piece of usually folded absorbent material (as gauze) used as a surgical dressing or protective covering (5) : a component of certain brake systems (as disc brakes) consisting of a plate covered with a frictional material b : a piece of material saturated with ink for inking the surface of a rubber stamp

2 a : the foot of an animal b : the cushioned thickening of the underside of the toes of an animal

3 : a floating leaf of a water plant

4 : a collection of sheets of paper glued together at one end

5 a (1) : a section of an airstrip used for warm-ups or turnarounds (2) : an area used for helicopter takeoffs and landings b : launchpad c : a horizontal concrete surface (as for parking a mobile home)

6 a : bed b : living quarters

These feminine product jokes have been used to death already. Give it up.

You have no clue what your talking about.

The topic of psychological marketing and branding extends much much further then a dictionary definition.
  • Reply 37 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

Considering the iPad's (future) capabilities/potential, $499 seems a tad high for only 16GB.

i agree...the smallest should be 32 gb

also to all of those complaining about flash and multitasking, do you like to recharge your devices often? so tired of reading about it
  • Reply 38 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

This is code for the foolish early adopters that will stand in line the first week. This is great because what will happen is they will get ripped off and the rest of us will the the 32gb for the price the discontinued 16gb a few months later.

At least it works and Apple compensated all iPhone early adopters, hey what happened when foolish millions took Vista, no working operating system and MS took their money to bank

If you believe this story then you foolish as early adopters, as if Apple going to release their marketing strategy to consumers/ speculation as usual.
  • Reply 39 of 101
    I want someone to go generate me a cost breakdown of all of the components in this device and tell me if you get 500 bucks worth. Just saying. Waiting to be proven wrong.

Also.

I never thought this thing should be 1,000. Meanwhile, the "analysts" did. I had no analyst talk to me however.
  • Reply 40 of 101
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

You have no clue what your talking about.

The topic of psychological marketing and branding extends much much further then a dictionary definition.

My point was that there are numerous other uses of the word pad that it seems juvenile that some people would fixate on the feminine product connotation. So yes, I obviously realize that the name of a thing can have an effect on it's performance in the marketplace or the public's perception of said item but really, iPad sounds no more like Maxipad than mouse pad does. Or does mouse-pad make you think of feminine products for rodents?