Execs say Apple could lower iPad price if market demands it - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    I doubt that Apple will go lower than $499 for the basic version.

I have a feeling they are talking about the 32GB and 64GB versions: I can't believe that a 64GB flash drive costs $200 more than a 16GB (OK, perhaps a bit less, allowing for a proportionally higher profit at the same margin).
  • Reply 42 of 101
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    [QUOTE=samurai1999;1568282]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PastorOfMuppets View Post

Yes, I agree!

- iPad - so what? MS has had NotePad & WordPad in Windows for years, and people didn't get excited about it

- and notepad is a real word for something you write notes on

- what about Mouse-pad, for f-sake!

- so, all this fuss about iPad sounding like a sanitary-towel does seem a bit purile to me....

I think iSlate, or iTablet may have been 'cooler', but iPad works just fine, as it's just a vowel change away from iPod...

Ask the next person you talk to what the 'i' stands for in Apple's product names.

There is a 100% chance they won't know, but will offer up a guess.

The 'i' is ambiguous, which is why it doesn't work the same way as notePad or wordPad. (thanks for proving my point).

In fact, the 'i' psychologically makes people think of themselves. The connection made is that the idevice is a personal gadget. Even the visual of the letter i has congruity to the human form.

The pad will sell, but Apple did needlessly put a mountain in front of themselves. Trying to undue a hundred years of psyche over the connotation of 'pad' and adding an 'i' in front of it to denote 'My personal..." is dubious, and I question the drugs that were smoked at the creative brief when they were naming it.
  • Reply 43 of 101
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

It would just be nice to know that there is going to be a market for it outside of homosexuals totting them around in rainbow man-bags in the Bay area.

Wow, homophobic much…?!?
  • Reply 44 of 101
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    there is a $400 dollar spread on these puppies $500 to $900, which I think is a bit much. I think what apple meant was that $500 model will stay, but $900 model will go away and become something like a $700 or $800 model in the future. I doubt they can drop much below $500 though... The carries subsidy would actually make a lot of sense, since T-Mobile is doing that for unlocked Nexus One (buy it for $500, get 10$/mo subsidy from T-Mobile or something like that).

Since I have a macbook I don't have any need for the iPad, but there are a few cases where I could see a need for one

a) You have 17' MBP or iMac, this could be a MacBook air replacement and no need for notebook.

b) You want a full apple experience for the price of an imac. This along with Mac Mini will do the trick.

c) Network engineer / engineer who needs to have detailed plans or diagnostics that can be ran through addons and a 32 pin connector.

d) A journalist who needs to be able to read books/ newspapers, write brief articles and post them on the web. (netbook replacement)

There might be more but these are the best I could come up with. Obviously this is no iPhone or iPod and will not be as successful at any price really.
  • Reply 45 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Wow, homophobic much??!?

?

Ummm... I think you should direct that question at yourself, or look up what homophobia is.
  • Reply 46 of 101
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

there is a $400 dollar spread on these puppies $500 to $900...

How did $330 become $400? Way to round up. Sure you can add in the price of accessories, but that would apply to both ends of the price spectrum.
  • Reply 47 of 101
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

[Well, as a professional on such matters,

Yeh right!

Quote:

I'm not mocking the name, however, every single person i've talked to about it is.

THIS is the internet. I don't believe you.

Quote:

It would just be nice to know that there is going to be a market for it outside of homosexuals totting them around in rainbow man-bags in the Bay area.

Ah, now we can see where you are coming from.

Your Dad is obviously an insanely witty guy. Did he tell you the one about the Saints are all gay 'cos they wear sanitary napkins on their shoulders? And their knees? Smirk!

Grow up!
  • Reply 48 of 101
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    32gb & 3G at $499 would be nice...
  • Reply 49 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post

And with no flash player support for games and HULU what purpose would it serve.

Hulu actually blocks Windows Mobile devices so even if the iPad/iPhone had Flash there's a pretty good chance they would choose to block it. As for games, there are plenty of the on the app store designed for multi-touch input and not keyboard/mouse input like Flash games.
  • Reply 50 of 101
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    The top end at $829 seems high. Perhaps at that price the all-you-can-eat wireless plan could have been thrown in?

I might sit out the 1st gen on this one but am comforted by Apple's history of aggressive price reductions combined with additional features and innovation.

This thing has a lot of potential.

On the name? Yeah, iPad leaves my head spinning.
  • Reply 51 of 101
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:

You have no clue what your talking about.

The topic of psychological marketing and branding extends much much further then a dictionary definition.

Did you say the same thing when the iPod was announced? Maybe you could check how much 'psychological marketing and branding' affected iPod sales, it's only 1 letter difference you know...

Also, remember that while the word 'pad' might bring up associations with sanitary products where you come from, but it sure doesn't where I live. The name iSlate, however, would probably be turned into the dutch equivalent of iSlut, while the name iTablet would be associated with some kind of medicine.

In other words: every product name will have unintended connotations somewhere around the globe. I seriously doubt if the name of the iPad will hurt sales, it might even boost it because so many people are making jokes about it, which really helps establishing 'iPad' as the street term for every other tablet, like 'iPod' did for MP3 players. The 'iPod' name was mocked on as well, see how that worked out for Apple.
  • Reply 52 of 101
    wow, they'll adjust prices according to market demand? Revolutionary!

this is news?
  • Reply 53 of 101
    [QUOTE=rain;1568276][QUOTE=PastorOfMuppets;1568256]

Well, as a professional on such matters, I can assure you that the name will hurt sales.

I'm not mocking the name, however, every single person i've talked to about it is. And that sir, is something that can't be ignored.

And if you don't think every single branding company on the planet didn't choke on their coffee and go WTF??? when the name dropped at the keynote...

Probably the same branding companies that chocked when they heard of the Nintendo "Wii"... How'd that work out for them?
  • Reply 54 of 101
    Look... regarding the name iPad.

We did a small survey of what people thought of the name. Questions like:

What's the first image you have when you hear iPad?

List the first 5 words that come to your mind when you hear iPad.

Does the name iPad make you think of a gender and if so which one?

Do you consider the iPad a mobile device, and if so, how would you carry it around?

Now, asking a bunch of tech-heads on this forum of similar minded people will get you some predictable results. However, ask those questions in the wild to the less tech-savy crowd who already own iPods.... you get some interesting results.
  • Reply 55 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

Considering the iPad's (future) capabilities/potential, $499 seems a tad high for only 16GB.

I agree. The memory is no longer a huge part of the margin, and will continue to be less and less of total cost of the BOM.

I, for one, had hoped that they would have had an SD slot. Oh, well.
  • Reply 56 of 101
    The (unsubsidized) pricing should be as follows:

iPad wi-fi, 16 GB- $499

iPad wi-fi/3G, 32 GB- $649

iPad wi-fi/3G with camera, 64 GB- $799

The end.

Ahhh if wishes were horses.

In all seriousness, I do think you will see Apple quickly change the current set-up. It's too complicated, and as many have pointed out, very un-apple like. I definitely think they will change it so that there is only one wi-fi only model (at the introductory price), and then either two or three wi-fi/3g models that follow it incrementally.
  • Reply 57 of 101
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Look... regarding the name iPad.

We did a small survey of what people thought of the name. Questions like:

What's the first image you have when you hear iPad?

List the first 5 words that come to your mind when you hear iPad.

Does the name iPad make you think of a gender and if so which one?

Do you consider the iPad a mobile device, and if so, how would you carry it around?

Now, asking a bunch of tech-heads on this forum of similar minded people will get you some predictable results. However, ask those questions in the wild to the less tech-savy crowd who already own iPods.... you get some interesting results.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I wasn't crazy about the name either. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on who you ask), this is the name Apple gave the thing and what will be will be. The name iPad will have no effect on whether I buy one or not, but then I'm part of that "tech-head" crowd. If I had to say why I was less than enthusiastic about the name, it would be because it seems a little lazy to me. But lazy to me may seem logical to the next person.
  • Reply 58 of 101
    [QUOTE=PastorOfMuppets;1568337][QUOTE=rain;1568276]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PastorOfMuppets View Post

Well, as a professional on such matters, I can assure you that the name will hurt sales.

I'm not mocking the name, however, every single person i've talked to about it is. And that sir, is something that can't be ignored.

And if you don't think every single branding company on the planet didn't choke on their coffee and go WTF??? when the name dropped at the keynote...

Probably the same branding companies that chocked when they heard of the Nintendo "Wii"... How'd that work out for them?

Wii was brilliant. I don't know anyone who balked at it? In fact, Wii and iPod are two of the strongest brands in the entertainment technology camp, 2 of the strongest brands to emerge in the last decade for new products, ...and celebrated as such.

Stop being cynical. It's one thing to support Apple and like their products, it's another to defend every single action the company makes no matter how absurd they may be. I believe there is a word for that... one that I don't want to call anyone on this site, but your treading close...
  • Reply 59 of 101
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

i agree...the smallest should be 32 gb

I find this kind of statement to be odd.

Of course, for some people, 16gb won't work. But I am sure there are others who just want another (more mobile) Internet access point in the house or a portable reader. 16gb might be fine for them--if apple is offering it, why not let them get by without paying for storage they don't need?

Also, even if few wanted it, the low storage option gets the lower price point in people's heads, and that works to Apple's advantage. I have been discussing getting one with my wife and we both throw $500 around though it is unlikely we would get the base model. Intellectually, I know we are wrong, but...
  • Reply 60 of 101
    I understand that Flash is not perfect, but it is utilized on many websites. In fact, the most creative websites are entirely flash. The IPad is not a phone, it is a computer. At the very least, it needs to be able to see every webpage on the internet as it was intended by its creator. Without this feature, I will use my iphone for quick information and directions when I am away from home and ignore the IPad all together.