Purported 4th gen Apple iPhone parts show largely unchanged design

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
New pictures claimed to be parts for a prototype fourth-generation iPhone show a front panel slightly taller than the current model, along with some other minor internal design tweaks.

iPhone repair Web site iResQ posted photos of the purported parts of the fourth-generation handset from Apple. The site noted that the alleged front panel is about a quarter-inch longer than its predecessor.

In addition, it has a reflective surface directly above the speaker, which was said to be a likely location for the proximity sensor. That would be in a different location than previous models.

"The LCD appears to be factory glued to the digitizer which is more similar to the first generation iPhones than the iPhone 3G and 3GS," the site said. "The digitizer can be separated from the LCD on the 3G and 3GS models, which should be interesting to all, but for the repair folks like us–this means that the 4G screen repair price will be higher since both parts will have to be replaced at once."

If the parts truly are from a fourth-generation iPhone prototype, they corroborate an earlier alleged next-generation iPhone picture that showed a largely unchanged exterior. Last week, AppleInsider reported that sources said an iPhone prototype was pictured on top of a leaked iPad photograph. The iPhone went largely unnoticed because its design and form factor look essentially identical to the current iPhone 3GS.

Whether the alleged iPhone 4G prototype pictured with the iPad has the same quarter-inch larger screen shown in the supposed prototype parts is impossible to discern.

At a recent Apple company meeting, it was claimed that co-founder Steve Jobs said the next iPhone version will be an "A+" upgrade from the iPhone 3GS. The handset is expected to arrive in June.

People familiar with the matter claim the fourth-generation iPhone will run a version of Apple's custom-built silicon, melding ARM's latest multi-core Cortex reference designs with Imagination's upcoming GPU components. Both will allegedly be on one SoC (system-on-a-chip) package like the new A4 processor found inside the Apple iPad.

Enhanced internals, along with improvements to the iPhone software, are expected to result in improved battery life and speed of the forthcoming handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 109
    T-Mobile 3G bands, please. Thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 109
    I really hope the info about the chip is true. I skipped the 3GS and hopefully this will be my reward.
  • Reply 3 of 109
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The LCD appears to be factory glued to the digitizer which is more similar to the first generation iPhones than the iPhone 3G and 3GS," the site said. "The digitizer can be separated from the LCD on the 3G and 3GS models, which should be interesting to all, but for the repair folks like us?this means that the 4G screen repair price will be higher since both parts will have to be replaced at once."

That sucks!

Quote:

If the parts truly are from a fourth-generation iPhone prototype, they corroborate an earlier alleged next-generation iPhone picture that showed a largely unchanged exterior. Last week, AppleInsider reported that sources said an iPhone prototype was pictured on top of a leaked iPad photograph. The iPhone went largely unnoticed because its design and form factor look essentially identical to the current iPhone 3GS.

I guess that's the cross they have to bear for having a touchscreen operated phone versus having actual buttons. I mean, how would a RAZR flip iPhone look? Screen size would definitely be cut in size if they kept the touch navigation concept. If they went half screen, half buttons then they would be RIM. If they designed a slide out QWERTY keyboard then they would be PRE or DROID...

Anybody else have an idea as to what Apple could do to dramatically change the exterior of the iPhone while keeping the large touch screen for the iPhone touch OS, outside of changing the colors of the black plastic and silver bezel, that is?
  • Reply 4 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

That sucks!

I guess that's the cross they have to bear for having a touchscreen operated phone versus having actual buttons. I mean, how would a RAZR flip iPhone look? Screen size would definitely be cut in size if they kept the touch navigation concept. If they went half screen, half buttons then they would be RIM. If they designed a slide out QWERTY keyboard then they would be PRE or DROID...

Anybody else have an idea as to what Apple could do to dramatically change the exterior of the iPhone while keeping the large touch screen for the iPhone touch OS, outside of changing the colors of the black plastic and silver bezel, that is?

Adding extra touch controls on the back, like their patent. But then again, I like the iphone as it is, simple, minimalistic. Adding the things you said to the iphone would just make it look like a product from Micro$hit.
  • Reply 5 of 109
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    1. Dual microphone to cancel background noise?

2. Voice input for all text entry fields?

3. Higher resolution screen?

4. Larger screen dimensions?

5. Multi-tasking?

6. User-replaceable battery?

7. Physical keyboard in addition to on-screen keyboard?

8. On any carrier other than the POS from AT&T?

9. Higher resolution camera?

10. Front-facing camera for video chat?

11. Customizable home-screen?

12. AMOLED screen (aka, anything other than the POS original screen)?

13. Being able to navigate with zoom in/out with only one hand?

14. Alternate input for navigation such as optical scrolling?
  • Reply 6 of 109
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Anybody else have an idea as to what Apple could do to dramatically change the exterior of the iPhone while keeping the large touch screen for the iPhone touch OS, outside of changing the colors of the black plastic and silver bezel, that is?[/SIZE]

Assuming this is real, I'm trying to understand why the phone would have to be .25" taller, but still have the same size screen. I've been thinking that the new model would have a higher rez screen, more in line with what the iPad has, though not that high, of course. Those screens are a fraction of an inch bigger. So what are they fitting in there?
  • Reply 7 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

5. Multi-tasking?

Thank you, that is basically my wish list too.
  • Reply 8 of 109
    No Verizon, no sale. Period. Don't care about all the reasons it can't be done.

I'll never again stand in line for three hours to buy a smart phone that can't make a telephone call. No matter how much Koolaid I drink while I'm waiting in line.
  • Reply 9 of 109
    Quote:

5. Multi-tasking?

6, 7, & 12 will never happen. (not with the current implementation of AMOLED anyway)
  • Reply 10 of 109
    People are asking what you could change? How about the design. Notice how the Zune HD is basically the same design (albeit smaller) but looks way different because its squared up etc..

Just because you have a touch screen and 4 buttons doesn't mean your design has to look the same!
  • Reply 11 of 109
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

No Verizon, no sale. Period. Don't care about all the reasons it can't be done.

I'll never again stand in line for three hours to buy a smart phone that can't make a telephone call. No matter how much Koolaid I drink while I'm waiting in line.

Well some say there is a 75% chance that AT&T continues to be the sole provider for the iPhone while other rumors indicate that there is an 80% chance that Verizon will get it. So that means there is a 160% chance that something is going to happen that 50% of people are going to be pissed about 100% of the time.
  • Reply 12 of 109
    I think I will be disappointed if Apple didn't introduce a new design this time. The current one is starting to get old, but most importantly, it looks like they have failed to address the cracking issues some people are experiencing.

I personally would hope the new one will take design clues from the iPad. I'm still loving the aluminum back of my 2G iPhone!
  • Reply 13 of 109
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    I doubt it. I don't think Apple would like the idea of changing the iPhone's form factor a little. If it's not a significant departure, I don't think it'd be worth the annoyance. Unless it was required for some insane breakthrough, like double battery life, 802.11n, quad-core processing, flash, or copy and paste.

Seriously, though. Apple's kind of an all-or-nothing sort of a company. They're not going to change the iPhone "a little" two years in a row.
  • Reply 14 of 109
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

5. Multi-tasking?

If larger screen dimensions makes the phone bigger, than that's a no-go. Like someone else commented, 6,7 & 12 isn't going to happen. Hopefully, we'll see the iPhone on more than one carrier this summer (but I'm not holding my breath).
  • Reply 15 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Assuming this is real, I'm trying to understand why the phone would have to be .25" taller, but still have the same size screen. I've been thinking that the new model would have a higher rez screen, more in line with what the iPad has, though not that high, of course. Those screens are a fraction of an inch bigger. So what are they fitting in there?

Front-facing camera, CDMA/CDMA2000 baseband processor and all required radios, maybe the T-Mobile 1700Mhz radio? I'm not buying it. I'm saying it's a Chinese knock off at this point. Is the Home Button space bigger or this an optical illusion?
  • Reply 16 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTuomas View Post

I think I will be disappointed if Apple didn't introduce a new design this time. The current one is starting to get old, but most importantly, it looks like they have failed to address the cracking issues some people are experiencing.

I personally would hope the new one will take design clues from the iPad. I'm still loving the aluminum back of my 2G iPhone!

I haven't heard anything about cracking issues since the very early days. We have four, and all are fine. Can you site something that shows this is a current, serious issue?

I don't want to see a new design just for the sake of making a few people happy. The current one is just fine, and will continue to fit thousands of devices.
  • Reply 17 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Front-facing camera, CDMA/CDMA2000 baseband processor and all required radios, maybe the T-Mobile 1700Mhz radio? I'm not buying it. I'm saying it's a Chinese knock off at this point. Is the Home Button space bigger or this an optical illusion?

There's nothing in the hole, so it's a bright white from the surface beneath. White looks bigger than black.
  • Reply 18 of 109
    Quote:

5. Multi-tasking?

1. Would be interesting and good if it worked well.

2. Useful feature, however I probably wouldn't use it. Most people wouldn't want to talk out loud in public what they are typing.

3. Given to be good.

4. Only if the phone doesn't get too much larger.

5. So long as battery life isn't affected.

6. Do not care for it, has always made phones seem flimsy to me.

7. See #6 above. Plus I much prefer on-screen entry.

8. Would be good although I probably wouldn't switch away from AT&T.

9. Given. Sounds like they might have 5.1 for next iteration.

10. I really really have wanted this. The ability to have an on-demand video chat with the person that I'm calling (who also has an iphone).

11. Would be nice. Doubt it's happening though.

12. I still am not sold on AMOLED. It sounds really expensive for not giving that much (and having other drawbacks compared to LED LCD)

13. I've been able to do that for a while... even while holding the phone with that hand.

14. Not sure what you mean, but it does sound interesting.
  • Reply 19 of 109
    Quote:

And copying google ? Not sure if they are going to do that, though the idea sounds good.

Quote:

What for ? You would have to be very close to the screen to see the difference, and it would require all the apps to be redone as they are for a fixed screen size. Furthermore you would need much more horsepower to have a responsive UI.

Quote:

Isn't 3.5" rather handy ? What dimensions would you want ?

Quote:

5. Multi-tasking?

Wait for OS 4.0, I think they will come up with a good solution to enable limited background tasks. Though I don't need it, I can understand Pandora users.

Quote:

Never gonna happen, and I like it that way. Phones with removable batteries are a mess.

Quote:

You are kidding, right ?

Quote:

Is this to just be cool or do you actually want to use it ? By the way, how much do you think the person with whom you speak will appreciate all the noise from your video feed ? unless the phone is docked or on something that doesn't move, your face will be jumping all over the place on the receivers screen.

Quote:

This one sounds good, and I think they should rethink the whole home-screen idea, as there are too many apps to easily navigate them.

Quote:

Though I like the idea about the OLED technology, I am not sure if it is good enough to be used for this kind of device yet.

Quote:

How would you like to do that ? that is like the scrolling on the touchpads, most notebooks have a scrolling zone, and it is just annoying when you don't intend to use it. I like the whole two finger scroll system.

The point here is that I cannot see any way in which you could implement single handed zooming without annoying side effects.
  • Reply 20 of 109
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I like the current design just fine: boost the speed/storage and add a video chat camera and I?m sold!

But photos that could be some random iPhone clone (of which there are many), showing just the faceplate (the part that has been the essentially the same in ALL of Apple?s touch products), don?t tell me much.