iPhone OS 3.1.3 sees 14% adoption in 6 days, new hack released

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    86% of iPhones vulnerable to new attack...

"Hackers made short work of Apple's newly announced security holes, taking only six days to analyze and exploit a new Apple security update.

The incident raises questions to Apple's strategy of requiring users to download hundreds of megabytes of data to secure their phones, while AT&T is already overburdened with net traffic created by the devices."

There, that ought to really play to the fan boys!
  • Reply 42 of 65
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Probably because emails can be usually be read very quickly. You need a batch deletion for them. I get 500-1500 emails a day (half from AI forums ). I see how this would interest you and I hope they add it, but I'm not sure it's a big deal. I have 70 videos on my iPhone and I was happy just to know I could delete them at all.

Clearly not a big issue, because if it was I'm sure they would have added it. I just am kinda surprised that such a trivial thing, which they have already solved in another area, remains. You'd have thought someone would have said "hey this slide and delete thing is stupid, let's give a better option" and that would have happened everywhere the slide and delete process was necessary...
  • Reply 43 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

The incident raises questions to Apple's strategy of requiring users to download hundreds of megabytes of data to secure their phones, while AT&T is already overburdened with net traffic created by the devices.

What is it called when someone compares two disparate topics as if they are connected?
  • Reply 44 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Clearly not a big issue, because if it was I'm sure they would have added it. I just am kinda surprised that such a trivial thing, which they have already solved in another area, remains. You'd have thought someone would have said "hey this slide and delete thing is stupid, let's give a better option" and that would have happened everywhere the slide and delete process was necessary...

Note that they didn't delete the slide delete maneuver, just added an multiple delete option to EMail and SMS. It's even more complex with AddressBook.

I hope you get this change as it doesn't affect me in any negative way, but I I can see why they made their choices with each. I can't imagine ever having to delete many podcasts, videos of contacts at once. There are plenty of other things that would come first on my list v4.0.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    Quote:

Note that they didn't delete the slide delete maneuver, just added an multiple delete option to EMail and SMS. It's even more complex with AddressBook.

I hope you get this change as it doesn't affect me in any negative way, but I I can see why they made their choices with each. I can't imagine ever having to delete many podcasts, videos of contacts at once. There are plenty of other things that would come first on my list v4.0.

I would think that anyone that listens to podcasts of radio shows would do a lot more multiple deleting than all SMS users do combined. Email, yes of course everyone needs to delete a lot of that, but SMS? And it really should be a matter of just adding a button to call a function that already exists... but I don't expect I'll ever get it.

It's a shame - slide, delete, and then to add insult to injury, the popup that says "this podcast has not been synced with your PC are you sure you want to delete it" EVERY time I delete a section. 13 sections per day, every day.... pain in the ass...
  • Reply 46 of 65
    Quote:

I would think that anyone that listens to podcasts of radio shows would do a lot more multiple deleting than all SMS users do combined. Email, yes of course everyone needs to delete a lot of that, but SMS? And it really should be a matter of just adding a button to call a function that already exists... but I don't expect I'll ever get it.

It's a shame - slide, delete, and then to add insult to injury, the popup that says "this podcast has not been synced with your PC are you sure you want to delete it" EVERY time I delete a section. 13 sections per day, every day.... pain in the ass...

1) Is there solution via jailbreak?

2) Have you submitted that option to Apple?

3) Do you not sync with iTunes often? Meaning, can't you just leave them on your iPhone until you can sync them off in one swift move.
  • Reply 47 of 65
    Quote:

I have an exchange server and once I filled my iPhone up, I have not seen any good reason to sync. Anyone who doesn't need to sync contacts and calendar has a vastly smaller reason to ever bother syncing.

what if they want to know something? If you don't plug in once in a while how will they ever find out what ever it is they want to know?!!!!! do you really think this update business is about updating "your" computer?
  • Reply 48 of 65
    Quote:

1) Is there solution via jailbreak?

2) Have you submitted that option to Apple?

3) Do you not sync with iTunes often? Meaning, can't you just leave them on your iPhone until you can sync them off in one swift move.

Not interested in jailbreaking. This phone runs my business, so I'm not interested in doing anything that risks anything. Even if the risks are small. My time is too valuable.

How do you submit such a request to Apple?

No, I never sync to iTunes. I never have a reason to. 2000 songs is plenty for me, my contacts and calendar and email are exchange server. Why sync?
  • Reply 49 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxmann View Post

what if they want to know something? If you don't plug in once in a while how will they ever find out what ever it is they want to know?!!!!! do you really think this update business is about updating "your" computer?

What? Was that supposed to sound like a paranoid rant?
  • Reply 50 of 65
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    How can people not install these updates? Don't they know how software development works these days: things are not tested thoroughly, they're tested just enough to make sure there won't be any major crashes, on the assumption they will be able to roll out updates over the Internet.

The Internet has really lowered the quality of testing that gets done I think.
  • Reply 51 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new study has found that 14 percent of iPhone users upgraded to iPhone OS 3.1.3 in less than a week of availability, while a new hack to exploit Apple's latest update has been released.

Is it really any wonder? It brings nothing to the table for most iPhone owners.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

2) With this update you no longer need to jailbreak or unlock to enable tethering.

The handset needs to be unlocked to work with the tethering profile, otherwise the tethering option disappears entirely. Of course this is no biggie in the UK as its free to unlock the iPhone at anytime with O2.
  • Reply 53 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Even if that was true, I can understand them. You can only update in iTunes and that thing is a dirty pig on windows; it is a horrible experience.

Can you quote anything on windows that actually gives you a "good" experience ? I have never found anything except maybe games.

Compared to the other windows stuff, I think iTunes is OK, compared to the mac version on the other hand, there are worlds between them.
  • Reply 54 of 65
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

1) I hope the iPod Touch gets on the free iPhone OS update path. I think it would be financially beneficial as the update allows for newer apps to be bought and less time supporting older OSes.

2) With this update you no longer need to jailbreak or unlock to enable tethering.

Pardon?
  • Reply 55 of 65
    Quote:

Not interested in jailbreaking. This phone runs my business, so I'm not interested in doing anything that risks anything. Even if the risks are small. My time is too valuable.

You shouldn't be using an iPhone at all then. Not reliable enough. If you believe that a jailbreak currently makes you less stable/secure than a virgin iPhone, than you are wrong.
  • Reply 56 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

86% of iPhones vulnerable to new attack...

"Hackers made short work of Apple's newly announced security holes, taking only six days to analyze and exploit a new Apple security update.

The incident raises questions to Apple's strategy of requiring users to download hundreds of megabytes of data to secure their phones, while AT&T is already overburdened with net traffic created by the devices."

There, that ought to really play to the fan boys!

What is this post supposed to say? No one dowloads any iPhone updates through AT&T.....

• Reply 57 of 65
    It's not all that simple for early updaters. Updated iPhone 3GS easily. But thereupon none of the 3d party Apps would load (worked perfectly before). Delete and reinstall of App does not solve it. Restore whole iPhone does not solve it. My family's iPod Touch was updated without any such problems. All Apple Apps work find on updated iPhone, though. Check Apple discussion ... several others have identical problem an experience. Very odd result for a "minor" update which was supposed to fix a no-load issue!!!
  • Reply 58 of 65
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

Can you quote anything on windows that actually gives you a "good" experience ? I have never found anything except maybe games.

iTunes is the buggiest, most bloated piece of software on my PC. If I had any choice, I wouldn't use it at all. As it is, I use CopyTrans for simple additions/deletions of media, but for other stuff I have no choice but to use iTunes.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

You shouldn't be using an iPhone at all then. Not reliable enough. If you believe that a jailbreak currently makes you less stable/secure than a virgin iPhone, than you are wrong.

Oh man, I wish I knew that 2.5 years ago so I didn't but the first iPhone, then the 3G, then the 3GS. There's no doubt in my mind that any other phone would have been less capable and no more reliable (since the iPhone has been perfectly reliable for those 2.5 years).

Oh, and it's 'then', not 'than'
  • Reply 60 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

My desk is such a mess, I don't know where my sync cable is \

So how do you charge the blasted thing??