iPhone OS 3.1.3 sees 14% adoption in 6 days, new hack released

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    Sorry, I posted my little flamelet there and completely forgot about the thread. I didn't mean to slam Dilger in general — I read RD from time to time, and his writing is usually amazingly coherent, intelligent and (to whoever is the butt of a given article) scathing. It's just that he seems to have this pathological inability to turn the magnifying glass on the Apple of today (as opposed to 90s near-death Apple, which he's frequently brought up) and call them out on their mistakes. Jailbreaking is here for good reasons, whether it's "unauthorized" or not, but Dan always seems to take the police stance with it for some reason, decrying it as nothing more than a dirty, dangerous hack instead of acknowledging that in many instances, it showcases things Apple themselves could and/or should be doing better with their mobile platform. I like that he stands up for Apple when and where it's warranted...I just don't like that he can't not stand up for Apple. I just checked his site again, and most of the recent postings are "myths of the iPad", including somehow denying that the newly resized iPod touch is a resized iPod touch. I look forward to reading his rationale on that when I get back from my errands, for sure.

Edit: Sadly, after reading the first "myth" article, it appears he had to flat-out ignore a lot of the criticism of the iPad in order to make any of his points, insulted anyone who isn't mindlessly slobbering over the device ("If you’re not impressed, you’re simply not very intelligent"), and even exaggerated some things to the point of untruth ("...the full sized sophistication of the Mac OS X desktop, pared to a multitouch user interface"). I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this whole series is probably not some of his best stuff.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

How does one avoid updating?

The process is so easy and painless. I was alerted as soon as I plugged my iPhone in. Is there a large group of people who don't sync their iPhone with their PC?

I have not upgraded since 3.0 because I do not want to lose tethering. (There is a tethering hack that does not require jailbreaking, but Apple "fixed" it in 3.0.1 and beyond).

Nothing in any version beyond 3.0 is worth losing the ability to use my iPhone as a modem for my Macbook Pro anytime, anywhere
  • Reply 63 of 65
    So she's a bozo, whatya gonna do, divorce her?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

My wife is one of those (all too common) people that NEVER plugs her iPhone into her computer. Unless I tell her that an update is available AND plug the thing in myself, she isn't updating.

• Reply 64 of 65
    No, there is NO 3GS Jailbreak.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Did the jailbreak happen a bit faster this time? I'll let the jailbreak to hand out there for a week before I jump on this, but it does not look like a big improvement so I may hold off till 3.1.4.

• Reply 65 of 65
    Exactly, not even a bone like adding terrain to Maps options like in 3.2 -- not that it would have been hard to add or anything. Sheesh

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Is it really any wonder? It brings nothing to the table for most iPhone owners.