Strong Mac, iPhone sales projected to propel Apple stock to $280

Comments

• Reply 81 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

True, but that hasn't been the focus of the debate. It's been about whether or not there was a need for it.

Here's how I would accomplish it:

[...]

I outlined a method earlier in this thread that follows the Push Notification method of supplying an API to developers with apps that could be useful running in the background, having guidelines for resourece usage, having Settings for turning it on and enabling the specific apps you want to run, without making using the Swedish Chef method currently employed by other mobile OSes.
  • Reply 82 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The number of stocks selling above $200 is utterly irrelevant to anything. It is of no consequence whatsoever. Your "conservative view" is also completely meaningless, since stocks are not valued in the way you suggest, not even slightly, remotely, or the least bit. In short, this is about the most uneducated analysis I have ever seen.

As for "manipulation" -- this is utter poppycock. AAPL is a very volatile stock, always has been, always will be. A $10 change is not a big one for AAPL if only because it happens all the time, and this only 5% of the current stock price.

Of course "the number of stocks selling over $200" is completely meaningless and that is my meaning. Some think that a stock selling over $200 is not justified and is way too high. Apple fits into that category.

We agree to disagree on the manipulation of Apple stock.
  • Reply 83 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juanm105 View Post

Of course "the number of stocks selling over $200" is completely meaningless and that is my meaning. Some think that a stock selling over $200 is not justified and is way too high. Apple fits into that category.

We agree to disagree on the manipulation of Apple stock.

What? This makes no sense at all.

Until you can demonstrate how AAPL is "manipulated," and what evidence you have of it, then we can't simply agree to disagree. I will agree that you have no idea what you are talking about.
  • Reply 84 of 106
    Quote:

We've been through economic hell and haven't come back again. The result is declining P/E overall, which is a general measure of investor confidence in future growth in profits, which is hardly going to be bullish considering what we've been through. A couple of years ago the high P/E of the standard indexes had the chart watchers worried, as it always does. I believe AAPL touched 50 times earnings at one point, or very close, which is extremely bullish and probably unsustainable. The irony for AAPL is that they've been able to continue to grow earnings strongly even through the recession, which hasn't been reflected at all in the stock price. The result is a relatively bearish P/E which could be interpreted as a lack of investor confidence in Apple's ability to sustain their recent growth. I'd prefer to think otherwise, but probably at least in part because I've got quite a bit on the line. Time will tell, as it always does.

Please cut the politics -- they have no place in this discussion.

There wasn't anything political in my thread. The fact is this topic is about stock prices an only a fool would think the US government and its actions don't impact the market. The government and financials are driving the market. So you simply can not talk about what a stock is going to do without bring the government into the conversation in this economy.

If politics are shapiing the market then commenting on it certainly has a place.
  • Reply 85 of 106
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Not any longer. I think we have a new winner!

Seriously dude, spend a few seconds clicking here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_multitasking

You'll learn something today!

You might also want to see:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/context

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/multitasking

You'll at least learn how to spell multitasking.

We're over here talking about multitasking in the context of being able to run more than one app on the iPhone at the same time, which the iPhone can do, but Apple doesn't allow multitasking with 3rd party apps. You have to jailbreak to do the examples of multitasking that I listed.

"your simple examples are so easy for any device made 10 yrs ago to handle and again your device already multi tasks in the back ground "

Really? 10 years ago you could run any 3rd party streaming radio app while navigating on Google Maps? Because you can't do that today on an iPhone without jailbreaking.

"true multi tasking would be say talking..."

That's great, try submitting that to Wikipedia or any other source that provides definition or information and see what response they come back with.

I don't know what you think the point was of your comment here. Nobody is asking or expecting Apple to enable the impossible as you suggest. We're just asking Apple to enable the functionality of multitasking with 3rd party apps in the OS because many of us have done so ourselves with jailbroken iPhones and found the experience to be significantly better.

sorry for mis spelling

i do not approve of jail breaking

again true multi is already on your phone

have a nice day
  • Reply 86 of 106
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,723member
    For the last 4 years, at least one of these analysts have been predicting Apple stock will go to $280 or $380 or even $600. Has it happened? No.

iPad success may help drive it to $250. What it really takes is lots of "future growth" news for a few months in a row and a lot less "crappy news about anything else".
  • Reply 87 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

There wasn't anything political in my thread. The fact is this topic is about stock prices an only a fool would think the US government and its actions don't impact the market. The government and financials are driving the market. So you simply can not talk about what a stock is going to do without bring the government into the conversation in this economy.

If politics are shapiing the market then commenting on it certainly has a place.

That's not what you said in the first place. If you'd said that in the first place, I would not have made the comment I did.

Anyway, it's hard to miss that you didn't respond to the substance of my post.
  • Reply 88 of 106
    Here's why they decided not to put apps running in the background:

Why there is no app backgrounding on the iPhone OS?
  • Reply 89 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

Here's why they decided not to put apps running in the background:

Why there is no app backgrounding on the iPhone OS?

Push Notifications are a great way to keep resource use down while supplying an option for most apps, but there is still a need for backgrounding for certain apps. I suspect they'll use the same setup as PN to get backgrounding up and running.
  • Reply 90 of 106
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

As I said I'll be also getting a Mac mini.

Here the many reasons I decided to go for an iPad instead of a MacBook Air:
    1. Weighs 50% less

2. 2x the battery life

3. More portable

4. Boots in under 15 seconds

5. Easier to use when on the bus

I understand what I'm sacrificing and they don't bother me.

Precisely. I'll add to this the reasons that I will be getting one instead of MBA, its 1/3 the price and has built in 3G.
  • Reply 91 of 106
    Apple need to release the i5 MAc laptops-NOW. Sales must surely be stalling now. Apple is far behind the rest of the field. A friend of mine is waiting and waiting but may have to buy a Core 2 duo next week.

Why does Apple always lag in power with its machines lately? Apple truly has pushed its Mac line under the bus and replaced it with the iPhone/iPad priority.

Here you go :http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10...orsPicksArea.0
  • Reply 92 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Why does Apple always lag in power with its machines lately? Apple truly has pushed its Mac line under the bus and replaced it with the iPhone/iPad priority.

So being late with a processor that is out means that Apple is pushing that product under a bus. That means that every product Apple offers is under a bus.

The Nexus One has new ARM and GPU so that means the iPhone and iPod Touch are under the bus.

Every iPod could have new HW in them so they are under the bus.

iTunes is still Carbon, not Cocoa so that is under the bus, too.

Perhaps the fact Apple changes their entire consumer line at once, almost always with product being the stores that day is a hint to why it takes them longer than Dell and HP who sell nearly all of their PCs using old outdated HW with the Core-ix machines being BTO and not coming close to same processor needs that Apple requires all at once.

What you're really upset about is Apple's secrecy. They could come Tuesday or they could come months from now. They could be just a speed bump or a complete overhaul.

PS: I know when they will arrive but I'm not going to tell you.
  • Reply 93 of 106
    Quote:

Apple need to release the i5 MAc laptops-NOW. Sales must surely be stalling now.

Yup. NOW they must be stalling. I mean, they have to be. They haven't stalled for the past 3 years, and just recently set a new record. But NOW, they've gotta be stalling. LOL

You'd be amusing if you weren't always wrong.
  • Reply 94 of 106
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

As I said I'll be also getting a Mac mini.

Here the many reasons I decided to go for an iPad instead of a MacBook Air:
    1. Weighs 50% less

2. 2x the battery life

3. More portable

4. Boots in under 15 seconds

5. Easier to use when on the bus

I understand what I'm sacrificing and they don't bother me.

Nicely said and as with what Tekstud said about the over 60 crowd, I think it will finally be the non-techies who drive the market.
  • Reply 95 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

I think it will finally be the non-techies who drive the market.

Hasn't that been the case for a long time now?
  • Reply 96 of 106
    Apple has always been driven by the Average User looking for a better, easier, more attractive solution. May this continue.
  • Reply 97 of 106
    Quote:

What? This makes no sense at all.

Until you can demonstrate how AAPL is "manipulated," and what evidence you have of it, then we can't simply agree to disagree. I will agree that you have no idea what you are talking about.

oh stop it.

We are agreeing to disagree. the fact that you disagreed with me and I disagree with you means we are agreeing to disagree.

or perhaps you are just disagreeable

8-{)

(just joking)
  • Reply 98 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

For the last 4 years, at least one of these analysts have been predicting Apple stock will go to $280 or $380 or even $600. Has it happened? No.

iPad success may help drive it to $250. What it really takes is lots of "future growth" news for a few months in a row and a lot less "crappy news about anything else".

Very well said and very true, I think
  • Reply 99 of 106
    Quote:

Apple need to release the i5 MAc laptops-NOW. Sales must surely be stalling now. Apple is far behind the rest of the field. A friend of mine is waiting and waiting but may have to buy a Core 2 duo next week.

Here you go :http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10...orsPicksArea.0

I don't know if sales are "stalling" overall, but count me as someone who's growing increasingly impatient waiting for a Core 2010 MacBook Pro. That being said, I'm sure they'll be well worth the wait.
  • Reply 100 of 106
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hasn't that been the case for a long time now?

Actually I don't think so. If it did, my mom could figure out Windows.