App Store developer interest nearly triples from Apple iPad hype

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You think drawing a 1:1 comparison between center-justified text harassment? I'd say someone has poopy in their diaper.

[CENTER]I believe that someone needs to exert a bit more effort to Stay On Topic, and far less time bullying any/everyone who doesn't conform to their little tyrannical ideal.

Thanks

Now about that tripling of developer interest... Good For Apple![/CENTER]
  • Reply 62 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

According to the pundits, the iPad will be a dud because it's just a larger iPod Touch. That logic seems ridiculous to me given the success of the Touch. I mean, what idiot concludes that the 27" iMac will be a dud because it's just a larger version of the highly successful 20"?

Someone help me out here. Isn't the 17" MBP just a larger version of the 13" MBP?

So why isn't there a 27" MBP? Bueller? Bueller? No need to answer that, it's pretty obvious the size and cost would doom it.

Portable devices need to be, well, portable.

If I came out with a book-sized cell phone that couldn't place calls, I'd be the laughing stock of the industry.

But place that device within Steve's RDF, and suddenly it's gold...
  • Reply 63 of 81
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

If I came out with a book-sized cell phone that couldn't place calls....

... then it wouldn't be a cellphone, would it?

NO RDF required.
  • Reply 64 of 81
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]I believe that someone needs to exert a bit more effort to Stay On Topic, and far less time bullying any/everyone who doesn't conform to their little tyrannical ideal.

Thanks

Now about that tripling of developer interest... Good For Apple![/CENTER]

I'll tell you what... you stop crying for attention by center aligning all your posts and I promise I'll never make a non-pejorative remark about another website using the same formatting. Deal?

PS: Since I'm not a mod and therefore have no control of this forum the only method in which I can be controlling is by having a superior use of language and intellect. Thank you for the complement.
  • Reply 65 of 81
    Quote:

I'll tell you what... you stop crying for attention by center aligning all your posts and I promise I'll never make a non-pejorative remark about another website using the same formatting. Deal?

PS: Since I'm not a mod and therefore have no control of this forum the only method in which I can be controlling is by having a superior use of language and intellect. Thank you for the complement.

[CENTER]Pathetic... Utterly Pathetic

(check your private messages)[/CENTER]
  • Reply 66 of 81
    Quote:

[CENTER]Pathetic... Utterly Pathetic

(check your private messages)[/CENTER]

Did you just whine-PM him??

LOL

Oh wait . . .

[CENTER]Did you just whine-PM him??

LOL
    [/CENTER]

• Reply 67 of 81
    Quote:

1) Homes are growing to more than 2 computers, hence my desire to see a proper home server offering from Apple.

2) Why exactly is "information inaccessible from the road", IMO. I use WHS to access files remotely all the time. They give you a domain name so you don't have to remember some esoteric IP address that could keep changing. Sharing files from a desktop means that I'd have to by a domain, and host it on my own machine. Not exactly a plug-in-play operation.

3) Not a fan of Drobo for many reasons. Why would you say that is the only option over any other home server? Why do you think Apple shouldn't offer a home server solution?

Actually, I already said this in another thread before the iPad was announced. Yes, Apple needs to come up with a consumer server package, based on the Mac Mini, and with a simple HTML configuration page (Safari)... AND an iPhone/iPad app to access advanced controls, or both preferably.

Also, OWC already has stackable FW hard drives matching the Mini size for additional storage.

An even easier approach would be to update the Apple Airport Extreme to use eSATA or FW for daisy-chained storage. It would just need a dedicated iPhone/iPad app... or is there already one?

Regardless of what Apple decides... or not... to do, there is a serious need for this additional device. I'll name it already: iServer ...and yes, the name is taken already, but the lawyers need something to do too.

BTW: this would take care of the syncing problem you (Soli) mentioned in an earlier thread.

Question: is there an app already there for accessing shares/shared folders on a Mac? Or is iTunes really the only way to get to files? The iWorks app for the new iPad begs for this functionality. A sort of DropBox for home use.
  • Reply 68 of 81
    Just thinking about this server idea, and I came up with another possible scenario.

What if the iPad could use Screen Sharing, or Apple came out with an optimized "App for that"?

Consider that you could operate a Mac mini for instance, with just the iPad. No monitor or keyboard necessary. The Mac mini having an underlying framework, knowing that it's being operated by an iPad or iPhone/iPod Touch?

The app would naturally provide the touch interface using any Apple mobile device.

Could this be just one of the reasons, why "possibly" Apple didn't and doesn't need to develop OSX to be on their mobile devices?

I really do see the future tending towards terminal-type, mobile computing. The one thing that's still missing for a power user would be Gb-ethernet... or better yet, an iPad dock with LightSpeed connection. The "computer" would just be a server actually, serving up programs and files, expandable with RAM and storage as necessary, and the iPad and it's next generations would be the interface. Sync certain folders, projects... or use MobileMe to connect when your "unplugged".

All in all... the whole iPhone, iPod Touch, and now the iPad, definitely point to a not too far off future of working with a computer completely different then what we have been used to for the last 25-odd years.

Yes... it is a Gamechanger, just like the introduction of the first Mac and a mouse!
  • Reply 69 of 81
    A bit off topic, but...

my (German) girlfriend just walked in while reading the forum here... and I swear, she just said:

[CENTER]DaHarder Da Head,

Da Softer Da Weenie!

I kid you not!

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 70 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Actually, I already said this in another thread before the iPad was announced. Yes, Apple needs to come up with a consumer server package, based on the Mac Mini, and with a simple HTML configuration page (Safari)...

I think the Mac Mini is complete overkill for this type device. Both in HW and in the OS. footprint, maybe, but using the Time Capsule/AEBS footprint would likely be more ideal as 3.5" HDDs were designed to for that device. I think you could get 4 on their side sitting above a logic board in a fairly cube-like shape.
  • Reply 71 of 81
    Quote:

I think the Mac Mini is complete overkill for this type device. Both in HW and in the OS. footprint, maybe, but using the Time Capsule/AEBS footprint would likely be more ideal as 3.5" HDDs were designed to for that device. I think you could get 4 on their side sitting above a logic board in a fairly cube-like shape.

I'll have to agree with ya there on the server side of the equation.

I'm not up on the TC since I have an Airport Extreme and multiple daisy-chained FW drives on my MacPro. Would this be something to use out of the box for those people that do not have a computer right now, and are planning on getting the iPad?

Also, what's your thoughts about screen sharing with a Mini or another Mac with the Apple mobile devices. Just curious.
  • Reply 72 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macdanboy View Post

Hey Bill Gates ....... would this appear as nothing to get excited about? Apparently other people think it is. It's all about the simplicity. No flip open screen, no stylus, no mouse, trackpad, keyboard, antenna etc etc etc.

I agree up to a point. The lack of stylus input is unfortunate. I use a tablet PC to input Japanese and Korean and had hoped to do the same with the iPad. That is a total no-go. I had hoped for something more like an Apple (improved) version of the Modbook, but instead it is just a big iPod Touch. It will have its uses, but I am still going to have to keep my tablet PC for the stylus input. Why could they have not simply made it capable of both input styles?

/sigh
  • Reply 73 of 81
    Quote:

A bit off topic, but...

I kid you not!

[CENTER]Yes, it is completely off-topic, blatant harassment, member badgering, in direct violation of forum rules, and treated accordingly.

Care to share any thoughts regarding the tripling of developer interest in the iPad?

I find it to be a very good sign...[/CENTER]
  • Reply 74 of 81
    Quote:

[CENTER]Yes, it is completely off-topic, blatant harassment, member badgering, in direct violation of forum rules, and treated accordingly.

Care to share any thoughts regarding the tripling of developer interest in the iPad?

[RIGHT]So are you going to suck it up and roll with the debate

(and just hit the report button if you don't like something) or

are you going to cry "harassment" and "badgering" at every turn

because people find your centre-aligned nonsense comical?[/RIGHT]
  • Reply 75 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

[RIGHT]So are you going to suck it up and roll with the debate

(and just hit the report button if you don't like something) or

are you going to cry "harassment" and "badgering" at every turn

because people find your centre-aligned nonsense comical?[/RIGHT]

[CENTER]I'm all for increased interest in app development for the iPad as I intend to purchase one, and have stated as much.

(Note: Regarding your 'comical' statement - I suppose small minds are easily amused...)

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 76 of 81
    Quote:

I'll have to agree with ya there on the server side of the equation.

I'm not up on the TC since I have an Airport Extreme and multiple daisy-chained FW drives on my MacPro. Would this be something to use out of the box for those people that do not have a computer right now, and are planning on getting the iPad?

Also, what's your thoughts about screen sharing with a Mini or another Mac with the Apple mobile devices. Just curious.

I think it would be ideal for homes with multiple machines that are heavy with media. My ideal machine would be as easy to set up as the AEBS. Windows Home Server is surprising easy for a MS product, but it's still no where near what Apple could do in this arena. I think it would outsell Time Capsule despite being more expensive. I wouldn't expect it to have router capabilities, but that is way to go; nothing it preventing that.

I've used VNC from the iPhone before. Not a good experience. It's much easier and faster to just enable file access. I've only done this through jailbreaking before the App Store opened so I have no idea what is officially available. Outside of that, the only screen sharing I've done is Mac to Mac through iChat to helps friends and family or via MM's Back To My Mac to update and maintain my family member's Macs (I have an Admin account).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I agree up to a point. The lack of stylus input is unfortunate. I use a tablet PC to input Japanese and Korean and had hoped to do the same with the iPad. That is a total no-go. I had hoped for something more like an Apple (improved) version of the Modbook, but instead it is just a big iPod Touch. It will have its uses, but I am still going to have to keep my tablet PC for the stylus input. Why could they have not simply made it capable of both input styles?

/sigh

I defer to tonton's post from last night on a different thread. He notes that the current capacitance sensors are spaced too far apart to allow for accurate tracking from a slow, fine input device like a stylus.
    Quote:

DaHarder's Diabolic Plan to Insult Posters While Claiming To Be Discussing the Topic...
    STEP 1: Write off topic remark

STEP 2: Make weakest possible inquiry to the thread's topic.

STEP 3: State opinion but try not to venture into a bona fide observation as this may create headache.

STEP 4: ???

STEP 5: Profit

(Steps 1—3 can be done out of order)
  • Reply 77 of 81
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Without these two things specifically being allowed I can't see it being a true competitor to a low cost PC. I'm sure it will compete well with netbooks, but netbooks aren't usually a person's only PC. In the Apple world, I think it needs those things to be a true competitor.

Exactly why they don't have those two features. It's a shame but I got over it despite being negative about that before the launch.
  • Reply 78 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Exactly why they don't have those two features. It's a shame but I got over it despite being negative about that before the launch.

The Notion Ink is coming along. It offers many things I expected (and wanted) from the Apple tablet.
  • Reply 79 of 81
    Quote:

The Notion Ink is coming along. It offers many things I expected (and wanted) from the Apple tablet.

It's an interesting product, but far less useful than the iPad as far as I can see. The apps available on iPad alone push it worlds ahead of competitors.
  • Reply 80 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's an interesting product, but far less useful than the iPad as far as I can see. The apps available on iPad alone push it worlds ahead of competitors.

Pixel Qi still needs to be proven. There have to drawbacks to the tech over a TN display, so it's likely going to pale in comparison to the iPad's LED-backlit IPS display with higher resolution.

I hope it's successful in it's own right so Apple will push the iPad farther and faster. So far I've seen no tablet other than the Notion Ink that would even begin to be in the same class.