App Store developer interest nearly triples from Apple iPad hype

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 81
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Looking at where osx server sits relative to Linux, it just doesn't seem to have the ease of use AND flexibility I expect out of an Apple product. The issue can't just be solved with home-scale hardware. What kind of server applications would you want to run on this box?

The things I can think of that make sense at a home level are possibly:
    1. Web Server

1. Easy

Quote:

2. Asterisk/Jabber

No need for asterisk in a HOME server given skype, ooma, etc. Jabber is available via ichat and gchat.

Quote:

3. File Server

Easy

Quote:

4. FileMaker Database

Why? MySQL should already be on OSX server. If you want easy you should opt for Bento over FM.

Quote:

5. Home Media Library

Easy.

Quote:

If you want cheap hardware, drive redundancy is going to be a challenge-- I would want 4 bays for it to make sense to me, plus enough processing power to do more than just file serving. I know the AppleTV hardware wasn't up to the task. I can't see Jobs going back to the cube form factor.

I think you will see widespread gigabit to the home with cloud "server" features long before Apple produces a home server.

Except the mini server already makes a good home server. The only other thing I wished it had is a estata port option in the back to make this look less fugly:

http://www.hotblack.co.nz/article.lsd?i=esatamacmini

1 drive to boot from, 4 drive bay for storage. I guess some careful dremelling might make it nicer.