Inside Apple's iPad: Multitasking

Comments

• Reply 21 of 285
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

More excuses and by the way, Steak is great. I prefer a Filet. I'm getting both.

Battery, Multi Tasking, Business Phone and I can still have fun with it.

you've made your point - repeatedly. any more of the same, and you're into trolling.
  • Reply 22 of 285
    By "shipping" 60K Androids a day, Schmidt admitted the OEM's are stuffing the channel. if he had actual sales to point to instead, you can be sure he would have. it's called "spin."
  • Reply 23 of 285
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vvid View Post

The article's feature table makes particular mention that voice/data can't be used at the same time using CDMA on the competing Smartphones, but conveniently doesn't mention that the iPhone doesn't even support CDMA.

How about some journalistic integrity, AppleInsider.

There are a few reasons for that. the row's question is regarding the device's ability to make a call and use the internet at the same time. Since the iPhone is only GSM-based then it can do this on every phone. Plus, it's well know that the iPhone isn't CDMA. If this was a non-tech site I'd understand your PoV here.

That thing that I'd point out is that the question doesn't qualify it as "Abiloty to use voice and data at once over a 3G mobile network". If you are on GPRS or EDGE you only get voice just like with CDMA-based networks that are EV-DO Rev. A and lower.
  • Reply 24 of 285
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jglavin View Post

edit: to be more clear I am asserting that my particular phone (3G) is actually incapable of multitasking to any useful extent (apart from 1st party apps). I am not saying that is acceptable or unacceptable. It is what it is.

To be accurate, it's not first party apps that can multitask as the many Apple made App Store apps won't run in the background. It's App Store apps can't multitask, regardless of the developer.
  • Reply 25 of 285
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

60,000 Android devices being shipped each day (that is 60k per day in phone sales that Apple is losing)

Perhaps, but how about showing some cause and effect to support your implied assertion that Apple is losing those sales because of the lack of flash and multitasking as opposed to the fact that there are a lot of people who can't/won't switch to ATT?

Comparing iPhones sold on ATT to Android phones shipped to Verizon is apples-to-oranges. That more reflects people's choices of carriers than it does their choices of phones. Come back 6 months after ATT starts selling Android phones and look at the numbers then.
  • Reply 26 of 285
    back on the topic ...

being unable able to switch back and forth between two apps without having to go to the iPhone home page in between each time, and without having to restart an app like a game each time, which takes time, is my one and only real gripe about the iPhone. as Dan notes, that is not true "multitasking," but as a practical matter i think it is all most people really need (and audio play-through, sure). i sure hope the 4.0 OS adds that ability. three clicks on the home button or something to swap to "last app" and pick up where you left off without delay.
  • Reply 27 of 285
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BonScott View Post

Angus. I know you like to show boat yourself since i've been dead, but lets put that aside for the moment.

Can you list any practical examples that would require multitasking rather than Apple allowing certain services to be called upon?

HAHAHAHAA thats pure gold.

As for the examples id say he hasnt got any. Other than the pandora argument that EVERY hater uses... because EVERYONE wants pandora.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Umm why are you here? It seems like you like to bash on Apple... Idk but that is the vibes I'm receiving from you.

He gets paid to troll forums like this to try and make people come to the dark side, as it were. When will these PR people get it through their heads that if we are on an Apple forum its because we like Apple and not because we want to talk about the latest google apps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: Don't listen to AngusYoung's FUD about blocking your account. Only a few prominent iPhone hackers have had their App Store accounts blocked, they have not blocked the millions who are running jailbroken iPhones. Only chicken little rumours at this point, but Apple is going directly after those affecting the App Store security, not those jailbreaking. They are also trying to get jailbreaking a violation of the DMCA but you'll hear plenty about that well before it actually becomes law, if possible.

Actually it was JUST 2 guys that had their accounts "suspended". If this had any legitimacy to the rumours, then why aren't people asking the basic question of "If these guys were Elite iPhone Jail-breakers then why are they using their primary accounts on a Jail-broken phone?"

Seems glaringly obvious to me that its MORE anti Apple hype designed to scare people away from the app store.

I personally don't miss "multitasking" for what i use my phone for day to day and if it was to be added in 4.0 then i just hope that it is added in a way like described in the article because i really don't want to have to open a task manager or reboot my phone every time an app hogs all the ram or crashes in the background.
  • Reply 28 of 285
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This is what Apple does not want the iPhone user to have to deal with.

With limited memory available, especially on the Pixi models and the non-Plus Pre, apps with memory leaks can very quickly overwhelm the device and make it all slow and sluggish. If you can manage to go for several days without being forced to reset, you may notice that it just keeps getting slower and slower.

Thankfully, homebrew developer zinge has come to our rescue with the Reboot Scheduler app. It?s pretty straightforward: you set a time every day for the phone to completely restart (I picked 3:00 am so it won?t happen when I might be using the phone). This is a complete shutdown/restart, so everything starts all fresh and chipper when the phone is finished rebooting.

Reboot Scheduler homebrew app does reboots on your schedule]
  • Reply 29 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

back on the topic ...

being unable able to switch back and forth between two apps without having to go to the iPhone home page in between each time, and without having to restart an app like a game each time, which takes time, is my one and only real gripe about the iPhone. as Dan notes, that is not true "multitasking," but as a practical matter i think it is all most people really need (and audio play-through, sure). i sure hope the 4.0 OS adds that ability. three clicks on the home button or something to swap to "last app" and pick up where you left off without delay.

It is fairly easy to "save state" in an app at appropriate points (after data entry, file updates, switch to a different tab, drill-down, etc). Having saved state, it is also fairly easy to "restore state" to the last completed action/display. So, a well-written app can be easily restarted and resume where the user left off. If it is a high-use or critical app, the user would likely make its icon available in the bottom row so the app could be [re]invoked with two taps: home; app icon.

That said, there are some things that Apple could/should do to make it easier for developers to save/restore state in a standard way... this would facilitate fast task switching and give most of the benefits of multitasking with little overhead.

^
  • Reply 30 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

HAHAHAHAA thats pure gold.

He gets paid to troll forums like this

"He gets paid"? Are you sure of that? Microsoft pays him? Google pays him?
  • Reply 31 of 285
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    The ability to suspend tasks would be nice (independently of whether they are allowed to run or not in the background). It is quite tedious having to quit and restart apps.
  • Reply 32 of 285
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

The ability to suspend tasks would be nice (independently of whether they are allowed to run or not in the background). It is quite tedious having to quit and restart apps.

It depends on how good the app developer is. There are many good apps that restarts at where you left. Some developers are lazy/inexperience and don't account for such events.
  • Reply 33 of 285
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell;

This is what Apple does not want the iPhone user to have to deal with.

With limited memory available, especially on the Pixi models and the non-Plus Pre, apps with memory leaks can very quickly overwhelm the device and make it all slow and sluggish. If you can manage to go for several days without being forced to reset, you may notice that it just keeps getting slower and slower.

Thankfully, homebrew developer zinge has come to our rescue with the Reboot Scheduler app. It?s pretty straightforward: you set a time every day for the phone to completely restart (I picked 3:00 am so it won?t happen when I might be using the phone). This is a complete shutdown/restart, so everything starts all fresh and chipper when the phone is finished rebooting.

Reboot Scheduler homebrew app does reboots on your schedule]

Give me a break. The iPhone has almost the same specs (with a larger hard drive) than my 10-year old Dell and that could multitask. Apple could very well develop a better system than the Pre for memory management.

This idea that their is not enough memory or battery life is garbage. It has already been shown in tests that, with a jailbroken 3GS, someone could have 5 apps running in the background with no noticeable lag. It can run with lag 10-12 apps (some games included) in the background. Check out the justanotheriphoneblog's testing of Multifl0w. If you are running something like iStat on your 3GS, check out the memory usage. You will find that you are using very little of the 256MB of RAM it has.

The next-gen iPhone is bound to have similar specs to the Nexus One which would have a 1.0Ghz dual-core processor with 512mb of RAM. This would make the situation even more ridiculous. I'd like to hear Apple's excuse this year for not having multitasking. One would have to believe that the whole reason that they've developed their own chips is for better battery life considering the A4's clock speed is the same as the Nexus One. Battery can no longer be an excuse.
  • Reply 34 of 285
    This is as silly as the days of the iphone lacking copy and paste. Despite C&P being one of the most essential established features of computing, there were hordes defending its exclusion prior to OS3. (On a related note they also defended Apple's lack of a netbook by pointing out how full featured the iPhone was). Now it's in and it seems like a no brainer in hindsight. You may not need it all the time but when you do, it's lifesaver.

No multitasking on iPhone is bad enough but on the iPad it's a joke. Maybe you're writing a paper in iWork and you need to look something up in Safari. Simply save your work, close iWork, flip over a few screens to Safari, open it, wait for the page to load, close Safari, scroll back to the screen with iWork, reopen it, and load your document again. What could be simpler!

I also find it amusing that this is a tech forum where the majority of the members are very computer savvy, yet rabidly defend glaring omissions on the account that it's justified because it would be too confusing for suburban soccer moms.
  • Reply 35 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BonScott View Post

Can you list any practical examples that would require multitasking rather than Apple allowing certain services to be called upon?

I've got a couple:
    • Skype. It's an integral part of my daily workflows and communications at work, and I also use it home.

• Spotify. We don't have pandora here, but we do have spotify

• (actually, any audio or radio app that isn't the ipod application)

Also, many applications would work better. Take IM - if you are doing something else today, you'll get a notification. Good. But seeing it and replying requires you to quit your current application (and lose state...), start the IM app (slow) and then start the original application again.

The iphones today are more powerful than a computer just a couple of years back, so they certainly can handle multitasking paradigms that have been in use on lesser hardware for decades. The biggest concerns would be battery life and security - that something can't run in the background "below the radar".
  • Reply 36 of 285
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

This article could have been written in the 90's period. There is no excuse not to offer Multi Tasking for All Apps.

If this is they path MS Phone 7 chose to take they made a mistake.

60,000 Android devices being shipped each day (that is 60k per day in phone sales that Apple is losing)

That was the quote of the week that AI chose to not post.

It took a few days for BoyGenius (BoyDumbass) to report. It was made at the MWC this last week.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...pped-each-day/

Google has multi tasking and Flash 10.1 on at least one shipping phone.

There is an entire world outside of AT&T and Google has decided to give them the opportunity of experiencing true unlimited multi tasking.

Mobile phone chip sets are more than capable of running multiple tasks (other than decided by Apple).

You don't need to Jail Break your iPhone to experience it.

I don't need 140k apps. I want a phone that can run web apps (HTML5) and for now Flash.

Apple and AI don't make excuses for your OS. Every other smart phone has multi tasking and will soon have Flash.

It looks as though you didn't actually read the article. He gave some of the very good reasons why it isn't a good idea. At least not as it's currently implemented.

All you're saying is that you want it no matter what the reason.

Jobs stated long ago that multitasking will come to the iPhone, and presumably also the iPad, when Apple thought they got it right. Hopefully with OS 4.0 this summer.
  • Reply 37 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

"He gets paid"? Are you sure of that? Microsoft pays him? Google pays him?

If you don't like Apple, you're a viral marketer.

If you talk badly about Apple, you're a PAID viral marketer.
  • Reply 38 of 285
    Quote:

Because unlike the 160k per day that are choosing Android. I have a contract with AT&T.

I have 1 more month. I won't wait foriPhone OS Promises 4.0.

I can get that phone next month. With the numbers of sales and Android is has I'd be like I was in 1994 and stuck in a dying Market Share.

Apple may be great for stock holders but it's horrible at moving forward when they have an Advantage. History and now the current numbers are proof of that.

Good luck with the future and make sure you have Apple Care on your computers because you'll need it given Apple's trend for the last 10 years.

By the way...

How long has Steve Jobs been with Apple? I wonder why he was fired. Mac's don't "just work" anymore.

It' not 160k a day, it's 60k a day; big difference.

You should get your anger issues worked out before coming here.
  • Reply 39 of 285
    Quote:

Android is just getting started. The iPhone is 3 years of the same stuff and the iPad (given the demo) so is the iPad (such a bad name).

Android today from an OS point of view is supieri or in almost every category.

I read a great posting today. The iPhone is like the pre-teen kids phone. Easy to use but can't do enough to hurt them. Android is for the mature smartphone user. Elegant, Intuitive and a work horse that you can still have fun with.

This is your opinion. It doesn't make it correct. Android has lots of problems. In a couple of years, every manufacturer will have its own version that will only be partly compatible with the others. It's been happening already. Google has already sent out a notice on how to program for the different versions, and as you said, Android is just getting started.
  • Reply 40 of 285
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vvid View Post

The article's feature table makes particular mention that voice/data can't be used at the same time using CDMA on the competing Smartphones, but conveniently doesn't mention that the iPhone doesn't even support CDMA.

How about some journalistic integrity, AppleInsider.

Everyone knows that. It's not news.