MacBook Pros in tight supply, new models could broaden gap with MacBooks

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Constrained supplies of MacBook Pros suggest an anticipated notebook refresh is growing closer -- one that could further differentiate the premium lineup from the low-end MacBook. Also, Apple has improved its shipping times for 27-inch iMacs to three to five business days.

MacBook Pro constraints suggest coming refresh

In checking with sources in distribution channels, analyst Shaw Wu with Kaufman Bros. has found that supplies of MacBook Pro machines are "fairly limited at two to three weeks vs. a more normal four to six weeks." Given strong Mac sales in January, Wu said it's possible that demand has played a part, though the timing would also suggest new MacBook Pros are on the horizon.

Apple has not refreshed its MacBook Pro line since last June, and with Intel's new Arrandale mobile processors now shipping in volume, Apple is expected to make an upgrade. Wu said Apple could use the opportunity to further differentiate the low-end, $999 MacBook from the premium MacBook Pro line.

"Benefits of the new mobile architecture, helped in part by its new 32 nanometer process (vs. previous 45 nanometer), include much better performance through hyper-threading and turbo mode, battery life, and weight characteristics, which we believe give AAPL engineers more room to further differentiate the MacBook Pro," Wu wrote in a note to investors Wednesday.

"We believe new Mac models could ship in the March quarter, or at the latest the June quarter. It is not clear to us whether AAPL will introduce these new Macs through special event or 'quietly' through a press release."

Wu said he feels the entry-level $1,199 MacBook Pro has some overlap with the $999 MacBook, which was updated last October. He said a new processor could add more than the aluminum casing, SD slot and FireWire that currently give the higher-end systems their 'pro' distinction.

In addition to the new Arrandale chips from Intel, Apple is expected to employ a new automatic switching of dual graphics modes on future MacBook Pro models. The system would allow switching between integrated and discrete graphics processors automatically, allowing use of Nvidia's latest graphics technology and also improving battery life.

27-inch iMac ships in 3-5 days

The Core 2 Duo and Core i5 versions of Apple's newly redesigned 27-inch iMac desktop now have estimated shipping times of three to five days direct from Apple. It's a significant change from previous months, when new buyers had to wait weeks for the new hardware.

It's also the second time in less than a week that shipping times on the 27-inch iMac have improved. Last Thursday, new purchases improved to a wait of just five to seven days.

Early adopters of the big-screen iMac have seen a number of hardware issues pertaining to the display, with reports of flickering and yellow discoloration. Apple released two software updates to fix the issues, and also reportedly offered some customers a 15 percent refund for their troubles.

Earlier this month, Apple denied a rumor that it had halted production of new models. At the same time, ship times that had lingered at three weeks for months improved to two weeks.

Supplies of the 27-inch iMac have been constrained for months, with Apple in December even apologizing for delays, citing considerable demand from consumers. When it first launched in October, the new iMac was the best-selling desktop machine for the month. The 21.5-inch iMac came in first place, while the 27-inch iMac took third in overall sales.

For the best prices on the latest iMacs, MacBooks and MacBook Pros, check out AppleInsider's up-to-date Mac Pricing Guide:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 115
    BRING IT.

I've waited long enough - 13" will have to do. No interest in an iTunes MaxiTouch.
  • Reply 2 of 115
    I am happy with my Santa Rosa MBP. One day I will upgrade to a more recent MBP. It won't be until at least I see USB 3.0 integrated.
  • Reply 3 of 115
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    Quote:

For the best prices on the latest iMacs, MacBooks and MacBook Pros, check out AppleInsider's up-to-date Mac Pricing Guide:

Like anyone is gonna order a MBP today when refresh is imminent..
  • Reply 4 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

Quadra- are you there?
  • Reply 5 of 115
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Is there any reason to expect that Apple won't start 2010 with USB 3?

Besides the iPad not currently USB 3.0 publicly.
  • Reply 6 of 115
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    Quote:

Quadra- are you there?

uh. no. I'm just saying. It's the waiting game right now...
  • Reply 7 of 115
    Quote:

uh. no. I'm just saying. It's the waiting game right now...

March not June, god willing.
  • Reply 8 of 115
    Now that's what the industry calls the demand when you reach 10% market share, Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 115
    not June, not March...I'm hoping today
  • Reply 10 of 115
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

BRING IT.

I've waited long enough - 13" will have to do. No interest in an iTunes MaxiPAd.

That's enough of that "joke".
  • Reply 11 of 115
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Well Intel not providing USB 3.0 chipsets for another year is a hurdle. Given the delay in releasing new MBP, I would think (hope?) that something new is coming though.
  • Reply 12 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Well Intel not providing USB 3.0 chipsets for another year is a hurdle. Given the delay in releasing new MBP, I would think (hope?) that something new is coming though.

Can we pray for a Blu-ray R/CDRW drive or a 13" matte/nonglare screen?
  • Reply 13 of 115
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Can we pray for a Blu-ray R/CDRW drive or a 13" matte/nonglare screen?

Probably not a matte option for the 13". It seems this is an option apple only wants to offer the pro users (started with 17 and finally migrated to 15).

I'm starting to think we'll never see blu-ray drives in mac computers...
  • Reply 14 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

not June, not March...I'm hoping today

Gotta be soon. End of March is for beginning of iPad sales. Next Tuesday, perhaps.
  • Reply 15 of 115
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

See subject line.
  • Reply 16 of 115
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    LOL. Oh shit guys Shaw Wu has spoken.

Now that Wu said they are coming soon they aren't going to be updated for a decade. \

I wonder what sources this guy checked. People at macrumors have checked international stores and the wait is still 24 hours to a few days for various MBP models.

I really, really hope for next Tuesday. In fact I am really feeling it. I didn't really feel this past Tues even though I wanted it, because this week was the end of Chinese New Year. So that would have mucked up order times I am guessing.
  • Reply 17 of 115
    Quote:

Actually, I was in one of my local Apple Stores last week. A fellow "silver hair" was looking at the MPB 17. I pulled out my C2D 2.33 and we compared notes. I told him repeatedly that a refresh was long overdue, but he bought one anyway - even after stating he could wait.

Sometimes the call of the shiny bright things is just too great.

That, and the RDF that surrounds all things Apple.

As for me, I will wait. My late '06 model works just fine, although I would love to have more than 2MB of my 4MB RAM split between the cores when using VMware Fusion.
  • Reply 18 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

LOL. Oh shit guys Shaw Wu has spoken.

Now that Wu said they are coming soon they aren't going to be updated for a decade. \

I wonder what sources this guy checked. People at macrumors have checked international stores and the wait is still 24 hours to a few days for various MBP models.

I really, really hope for next Tuesday. In fact I am really feeling it. I didn't really feel this past Tues even though I wanted it, because this week was the end of Chinese New Year. So that would have mucked up order times I am guessing.

I have always viewed Wu in the same category as John Dvorak.

Babbling pundits who offer nothing, but live for the recognition as if they did.
  • Reply 19 of 115
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    about time, who in their right mind would pay $2000 for a 15" LCD laptop with a C2D and only 256MB of graphics RAM?
  • Reply 20 of 115
    When MacBook Pros get new features, they eventually trickle down to the regular MacBooks. This increases the value/quality of the MacBooks but also makes the MacBook Pros seem less "worth it" in terms of cost. Since the last MacBook update added the LED display, built-in batteries and Multitouch trackpad, I wonder if Apple will add any new features to the Pros to help differentiate?

Benefits of MacBook Pro vs. MacBook

+Slightly faster processor speeds

+Aluminum Unibody

+Firewire 800

+SD Card Slot

+Backlit Keyboard

+Upgradable to 4 or 8 GB RAM

+Upgradable to 7200 RPM HDD

(Am I missing anything?)

I am waiting to update my 2006 first-gen MacBook with the new (presumed) 15" Core i5s. I just wonder when?! I can barely take my MB off the outlet anymore - it's more like a portable desktop!