High-margin accessory makers have high hopes for Apple's iPad

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Wow. Do you really believe the stuff you write??? The iPad could very well be the next G4 Cube. An overpriced dud in which other Apple products do so much more. 6 million in a year? You live in a dreamworld.

The big difference between the iPhone/iPod Touch and iPad is portability. The iPad is NOT portable like the iPhone/iPod Touch. You can take the iPhone/iPod Touch anywhere in your pocket, but you have lug around an iPad. It may be light, but it is not small.

It has already been pointed out that the high end iPad with accessories is $30 less than a full-featured MacBook that does far more than the iPad. Only an idiot would buy an iPad over a MacBook when there is a $30 difference (A MacBook refurb would be even less). That was the Cube's failure. The Power Mac G4 was faster, did far more, and in that case, cost $300 less. That was a no-brainer...the Power Mac G4 demolished the Cube in sales.

If that's the case, then how come the iPod Mini was the number one selling ipod with 4GB of memory when you could buy an iPod with 30GB of memory for only $50 more?

Everybody has a different need. It doesn't make them idiots. I have a Mac Pro. A 7 year old 17" PowerBook. An iPhone. But plan on getting an iPad.. for surfing on the coach, bed or out on my terrace. Do I need a full fledged MacBook to do that? No. So that makes me an idiot as well for getting a convenient 1.5 lb device for surfing?
  • Reply 102 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He's "extremely" argumentative, not just an extreme skater.

I get statements like this when someone can't battle the logic. Where was the arguement?
  • Reply 103 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Good point and actually that comparison is made here all the time and the end result most of the time is members say they might as well pay the extra money to get the advantages of the MBP because they are so close in price.

So if we use that standard then why would anyone buy and iPad at 829.00 and a BT keyboard when they can get a Macbook for 30.00 more. When clearly if you feel the need to buy a keyboard for the iPad and have to carry both around a Macbook is the better option.

This is why Tablets have never gained any real market share.

There is no difference in size and weight between MacBook and Macbook Pro... so yes an extra $200 is a good deal and worth it.

However... there is a size and weight difference between the iPad and Macbook, more precisely 3.2 lbs. and I won't even get into the dimensions.

So it's not a fair comparison.
  • Reply 104 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

We didn't say with the high end iPad model, you said it. If someone buys an iPad ($499) plus the BT keyboard and case ($140) then the total is $650, which is $350 less than a MB not $30 like you mentioned. You want to add 3G? then add the cost of 3G to BOTH devices not just one of them.

I was the one that used the high end iPad model as an example. Even using the high end iPad it still doesn't even come close to power and features of the Macbook and with the addition of the keyboard that you mentioned and case the price is pretty much the same.

It was simply an observation. Even if we go with your version at 650.00 thats a fairly heavy price for an iPod Touch ereader. But hell if you want one go for it. If you want two even better you can get two and some Alabama chrome (duct tape) and tape those two together and at least then you could multitask.
  • Reply 105 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

A lot of iPad accessories are going to come out. Some are already on sale now.

yep i've already got an order in for Tom Bihn's ipad sling bag to go with my regular pack. will work great as an onset carrying bag. someone here on the board actually recommended the company to me. best PM I ever got.
  • Reply 106 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

There is no difference in size and weight between MacBook and Macbook Pro... so yes an extra $200 is a good deal and worth it.

However... there is a size and weight difference between the iPad and Macbook, more precisely 3.2 lbs. and I won't even get into the dimensions.

So it's not a fair comparison.

Its a fair comparison when people start talking about adding accessories like keyboards and wireless mice. Which jumps up the price and now you have added accessories that you have to carry around. Not to mention if your going to add things like BT keyboards to a tablet then whats the point you know have the footprint of a notebook.

People here act like no one is going to think of things like this when they go to make a purchase, when it reality alot of people are going to be thinking just like this. Which is why yet again Tablets are a hard sell and why Apple has stayed away from this for a long time.

Also everyone jumps on the fact that I am using the high end model when everyone else here wants to use the lowest end model to prove their point, as if 16GB of storage is somehow acceptable for a multi function tablet. Then they get upset when you say with 16GB its nothting more then an iPod Touch with a larger screen and a beta SDK.
  • Reply 107 of 118
    Quote:

Its a fair comparison when people start talking about adding accessories like keyboards and wireless mice. Which jumps up the price and now you have added accessories that you have to carry around. Not to mention if your going to add things like BT keyboards to a tablet then whats the point you know have the footprint of a notebook.

People here act like no one is going to think of things like this when they go to make a purchase, when it reality alot of people are going to be thinking just like this. Which is why yet again Tablets are a hard sell and why Apple has stayed away from this for a long time.

Also everyone jumps on the fact that I am using the high end model when everyone else here wants to use the lowest end model to prove their point, as if 16GB of storage is somehow acceptable for a multi function tablet. Then they get upset when you say with 16GB its nothting more then an iPod Touch with a larger screen and a beta SDK.

But you agree then that the weight and size of an iPad is not a fair comparison to a Macbook... sans accessories.

And for what it's worth, an iPad already comes with a keyboard (built in) no need for an accessory, nor is a mouse needed when you have MULTI-TOUCH.
  • Reply 108 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Is it just me that thinks this case is probably the ugliest POS that Apple ever made?

just you. I don't think it is ugly at all. it is plain. plain and business like. reminds me of those leather/faux leather notepad holders I see folks toting around. which might be the point. some folks aren't going to want to carry this thing around with a Team Edward Gelaskin, loaded with all things Twilight blah blah like my 11 year old sister is already talking about (listening to her is the best diet I have ever been on)

Quote:

But a low end Mackbook is still far more powerful then a high end iPad. Also what do you feel an iPad would excel at that a Macbook couldn't do far better?

Well I can't speak for everyone but I have a perfectly good imac in the office. what I need is something on set to check emails, read off script pages,look at photos without having to hunt down a place to set something down, risk dropping it trying to balance it on one hand or wait for it to wake up. since I don't always have wifi around I need a 3g option but the phone screen is too small. so an Ipad is a valid option FOR ME.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

I'm glad though that Apple is keeping the $999 MacBook for now, but I got a suspicion that it's going to go away and the prices of the MacBook Pro line are going to come down to replace it.

and it would be a very smart move. the macbook and low end pro are so similar it makes little sense to have both.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

then you admit you are wrong. I accept your apology.

here is a crazy thought. why don't the both of you (and everyone one else picking sides) just admit that this forum is 99.9% personal opinion, that we all have a right to our own and stop with the childish need to wipe it out and measure up. cause you are both acting like 3 year olds in serious need of a time out and perhaps also a nap. actually make that 2 year olds.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Is kind of interesting when you look at the higher end model of the iPad at 829.00 then if you have to buy the case at 70.00 and a BT keyboard at 70.00 that would total 969.00. .

chances are if you really have to have the keyboard etc for constant use you will be considering a laptop instead.
  • Reply 109 of 118
    YES!

Wish I didn't have to... but, on the commute, everyone has a bag. Laptops, lunch, magazines, newspapers, umbrellas, printed work files, books, etc etc, are all stuffed inside briefcases, leather folios and rucksacks.

Hmmm... hang on, the iPad runs iWork and so will carry those work files electronically, will host books and mags, plus play games and movies and music. Of course, a laptop does this too... but is far heavier, is bulky and has a hinged screen - all adds up to awkward to use sitting on that train (when the train is late, by the by, who has seen people standing on the platform holding a laptop open and working/playing with it?).

The iPad will be a great tool for doing, and a convenient tool for carrying.

Now, if someone would just design a clip on the side of it to hold an umbrella and a hook on the bottom for my sandwich bag to dangle from...

Will I get an iPad? For sure. Perhaps not version 1. But perhaps. I have an iPhone and a MacBook Pro. For $500 I'll get a device that fits between the two and makes my day easier and more fun.

Yay!
  • Reply 110 of 118
    Yes. they will add GPS to it so you can stick iPad to your windshield and wathc it instead of road.

They will also have chargers and cases for it and perhaps even external camera.

How about Apple gets kicked for its lack of thorough customer demand analaysis in the first place.

The idea could be good, but not with this set of features and limping OS.

I predict it will be flop, but "experts" will tell you only positive stories that are politically correct.

Apple will have to re-work it quickly to release second version of this gadget. Then accessories will become profitable market.

I have been big fun of Apple solutions.... until this.
  • Reply 111 of 118
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Yes. they will add GPS to it so you can stick iPad to your windshield and wathc it instead of road.

Hmmm... Will require backside camera.

Quote:

How about Apple gets kicked for its lack of thorough customer demand analaysis in the first place.

Yeah - you kick their butt and teach them a lesson in solid 'customer demand analaysis'. WHo the hell do they think they are, anyway?

Quote:

I predict it will be flop, but "experts" will tell you only positive stories that are politically correct.

Those damned politically correct experts!

Quote:

I have been big fun of Apple solutions.... until this.

I'd love a video of you, iGenius, extremeskater and Teckstud in a room together surfing on your iPads telling each other how shockingly awful it is. A real curmudgeon bellyache fest.
  • Reply 112 of 118
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I just want Nike+ support and an armband for the iPad so I can get rid of my iPhone.
  • Reply 113 of 118
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I just want Nike+ support and an armband for the iPad so I can get rid of my iPhone.

I want that too
  • Reply 114 of 118
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I want that too

Someone beat me to that joke by a month and has a the mockup to prove it...
  • Reply 115 of 118
    Quote:

Is kind of interesting when you look at the higher end model of the iPad at 829.00 then if you have to buy the case at 70.00 and a BT keyboard at 70.00 that would total 969.00. Which is 30.00 less then getting a Macbook.

I have a 27 inch iMac, a 13 inch Macbook. And, I'll get an iPad with the stand and keyboard.

Why?

Not because I have I have to buy everything Apple but because it fills some specific needs.
    • it saves me from getting a Macbook for my oldest daughter. She already uses my old iMac but want's something that she can use in her room for homework. The iPad will work fine here.

• I'll be able to relax on a couch or recliner and read PDFs and watch training videos. I find any laptop including netbooks to be a PITA. Letting me get time away from the desktop is reason enough for me to purchase.

• * my wife can use Keynote for sales presentations

So, even though a Macbook be close in price to a top of the line iPad, it's not as convenient for certain tasks. I'd get the iPad for those uses even if a MacBook were cheaper.
  • Reply 116 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

...I predict it will be flop, but "experts" will tell you only positive stories that are politically correct...

I get a kick out of people who think that if others differ with them, it must be because of political correctness.

Sometimes people are just wrong, and those who have a different point of view are right, and political correctness has nothing to do with it. It's a convenient excuse for dissenters who lack a better argument to bolster their opinions.
  • Reply 117 of 118
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

So if we use that standard then why would anyone buy and iPad at 829.00 and a BT keyboard when they can get a Macbook for 30.00 more.

More like $160 more because the Macbook doesn't come with 3G like the $829 iPad.
  • Reply 118 of 118
    Quote:

Is the point that hard for you to figure out?

What exactly is the point you're trying to make? I don't want to be forced to read through three pages of points/counterpoints trying to figure it out. How about you just make your argument in one plain language post versus multiple (not so) subtle innuendos.