Reader: Steve Jobs says no tethering between iPad and iPhone

Comments

• Reply 121 of 335
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post

I don't live in US of A and I do not have a contract from your, oh so precious , AT&T. Got it? My data plan right now (still) allows tethering.

Then you're good to go from your carrier, install Netshare or jailbreak or do whatever the hell you want to get your iPhone to tether to other devices.
  • Reply 122 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Because Apple offers tethering in other countries:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/tethering.html

RIF...
    Tethering is not currently offered in the U.S. and some other countries. See your carrier for availability.
    Yet somehow that is Apple fault for preventing AT&T from allowing tethering. I bet as soon as AT&T allows a (paid for) tethering option the iPhone will have an update that enables tethering, yet somehow and for some reason Apple is keeping AT&T and a few other carriers from enabling tethering while allowing others. I think you give Apple too much credit.
  • Reply 123 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It's by far more useful on the iPad than on a Mac. Mac's are designed to use fast internet, not what passes for 3G in the U.S. Using a Macbook tethered to an iPhone should be a rare occurrence, other wise you have the wrong set of devices.

The iPad and iPhone are very similar in some ways, and very different in all others. Owners of both will find certain things more suited for one, than the other. Regardless, you can only use one of them at a time. Therefor, most people people with common sense see no reason why one data connection cannot be shared. If I pay $30 a mon for unlimited 3G on my iPhone, I have a right to use that connection in an unlimited fashion. I'm not talking about abuse either. I'm talking pure convenience.

Like new smartphones coming to market, the iPhone should have the built in ability to broadcast it's 3G connection as a WiFi hotspot, allowing several local devices to share one connection. This is not a built in feature, but fortunately, one needs only to jailbreak their iPhone, and install MyWi.

Because of this feature, I will be saving $130 + 30 a mon on my iPad purchase, because I refuse to be taken advantage of. I already overpay AT&T for data, by a long way, and cannot come close to using it to its full advantage due to imposed restrictions.

I use my MBP tethered to my iPhone 3GS up here in the Great White North ( thank you Mr Rogers for excellent coverage in Gulf Islands and Georgia Strait in BC ) when I'm out on my old S&S Catalina 38.

The other options for internet access are very limited hotspots at marinas with little range/coverage such as the BBX network .And to get more than a few hundred feet s one spends $400 on amps/antennas to get a nautical mile or so ~ and still costs $US300 a year

So for my $30 a month SIX GB data plan I am a happy camper... ooops sailor!

Of course if one has big $$$ there is satellite!

SO YES, there is a use to tether a MBP.

PS .

The Navionics Marine App in App store is amazing value ~ charts on iPhone all way from Olympia to Alaska, both sides of Vancouver Island for only $9.99

All of Oz for $11.99!

Of course, not for primary navigation ( I have Mac Enc and paper charts) but great for pre trip planning .
  • Reply 124 of 335
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

"Fired off a tersely worded email" sounds pretty lame, hows about "Loaded a single armor piercing cartridge of reply into his twelve gauge outbox, pressed the barrel of his mouse against the recipients proxy, then pulled the trigger blowing the mans hopes all over the wall!!! "

We could always try the opposite spin...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

My take was that the guy hit a nerve with Steve. It was the first thing that popped into my head when I read that Steve had answered, and that the answer was terse.

How about if the report was worded:

"Last week, head of Apple Steve Jobs was seen with a tear in his eye after extensive unknown discussions. We finally learned the reason when a swedish user emailed Steve Jobs asking if Tethering would be permitted, and received an obviously distraught "no" without any elaboration."
  • Reply 125 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

How about if the report was worded:

"Last week, head of Apple Steve Jobs was seen with a tear in his eye after extensive unknown discussions. We finally learned the reason when a swedish user emailed Steve Jobs asking if Tethering would be permitted, and received an obviously distraught "no" without any elaboration."

• Reply 126 of 335
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Sweaden?

What does Sweaden have to do with this?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterO View Post

Forgive me but... err, do you not mean of the South African country?

• Reply 127 of 335
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Hopefully, the jailbroken iPad will handle this just fine.
  • Reply 128 of 335
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    No big deal and no problem. Nobody has a gun to my head forcing me to use Apple mobile products. I'll just shop elsewhere.
  • Reply 129 of 335
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Someone should make an app for network sharing via Wi-Fi for the iPhone.

"Share my 3G connection with devices using Wi-Fi"

You may want to check out:

http://www.benm.at/2009/06/13/helpbenmat/

The “iPhone Help Center“, which can be found at help.benm.at, provides the easiest way to enable iPhone Tethering through installing Mobileconfigs directly on your iPhone. No hacking or jailbreaking required!

Does not work anymore! My apologies - I did not check out the solution I had been able to use a short while back. Again I am sorry if I sent anyone off on a wild goose chase.
  • Reply 130 of 335
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why is there no discussion about tethering your other AT&T phones, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile phones to any and all devices. Or how that too is Apple's fault when the carriers charge you extra it.

I'm happy to discuss that, but my iPhone tethers just fine so it's not an issue. I'd also be happy for the iPad to tether via bluetooth to a Nokia or whatever, just like my MBP can. The iPad seems to not offer that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Nokia N86 + JoikuSpot = wifi to fool my iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone into thinking that it is on a wifi connection.

I think that there is a potentially huge market for this kind of setup.

A very basic phone (that works well as a phone) and offers a low-power wifi network for an iPad or similar. This seems an attractive combo for many people.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twolfe81 View Post

Of course a cellphone carrier could play nice and allow iphone account holders to register a 3g ipad to the same account...but till we actually see that, I'm not holding my breath for it.

That would be cool. 2 SIMs (one for your phone, one for the iPad), and pay for a single 1GB data plan that is shared by both.

If I'm forced to use 2 different accounts, I'd go prepay just when required, and it'd be on a different network, as I might as well reduce the risk of no coverage. (In fact, Telstra has much better coverage than Voda or Optus which I use for my & my wife's iPhone), includes 850Mhz, and offers $150 for 4GB over 6 months, that might be the way to go.)
  • Reply 131 of 335
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by essencevictoria View Post

PS .

The Navionics Marine App in App store is amazing value ~ charts on iPhone all way from Olympia to Alaska, both sides of Vancouver Island for only $9.99

All of Oz for $11.99!

Of course, not for primary navigation ( I have Mac Enc and paper charts) but great for pre trip planning .

Gee - thanks for the advertisement! I know we all love reading ads here. NOT.
  • Reply 132 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

You may want to check out:

http://www.benm.at/2009/06/13/helpbenmat/

The new ?iPhone Help Center?, which can be found at help.benm.at, provides the easiest way to enable iPhone Tethering through installing Mobileconfigs directly on your iPhone. No hacking or jailbreaking required!

With v3.0 Beta tethering was enabled across the board up until the last couple weeks. The help.benm.at tething profiles have been great to allow the built-in tethering option with a simple profile without having to use those complex jailbreak app solutions.

However, tethering with the latest iPhone v3.1.3 on AT&T is not possible (at least not for me) and there is essentially no way to revert back to an earlier version of iPhone OS, unless you took steps before hand with a jailbroken iPhone to ensure that you could.
  • Reply 133 of 335
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Umm, where is Sweeden, anyway?:

Ooh ooh I know this one! It's next to Noorway, just above Deenmark!
  • Reply 134 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As you stated "iPhone", not iPad. not "all iDevices", not "any and all devices". If AT&T offers an option that is a pay for phone 3G device and get all other connected for free plan then you'll be good to go, but that doesn't seem likely. Comcast doesn't give me free internet and cable at my other homes simply because I can only be in one at a time. I have to pay to maintain service to each home.

Solipism, it is commonly accepted that Intenet service is a utility in the same sense that electricity, telephone, gas, water, or Cable TV are also utilities. AT&T, like any of these other utilities, provides you a service that should be device agnostic. There was a time when the Cable TV companies used to charge you an additional fee for each TV you had in your house, even though it didn't cost them any more money to provide service to those TVs. Thankfully, most companies have gotten away from those practices and just charge a standard fee for basic cable (although they can charge you per converter box). How would you feel if the electric company made you sign a contract for a certain amount of kWH per month but stipulated that the electricity they provided was only to be used to run your refrigerator, and if you wanted to hook up a lamp, you would have to sign up an additional contract for using that device?

As others have said countless times: data is data. How you choose to use it should be up to you. This is the basic tenet of net-neutrality. I see no difference in the argument that you should be able to use your data connection for any software service such as video streaming, voip, bittorrent, etc, and being able to choose what hardware device consumes the data that you pay for.

Consequently, if I pay AT&T for 5GB of data, I should be able to use those 5GB in the method of my choosing, be it for the iPhone, as well as my iPad, iPod, MacBook Pro or whatever through tethering.
  • Reply 135 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karlfranz View Post

Solipism, it is commonly accepted that Intenet service is a utility in the same sense that electricity, telephone, gas, water, or Cable TV are also utilities. AT&T, like any of these other utilities, provides you a service that should be device agnostic. There was a time when the Cable TV companies used to charge you an additional fee for each TV you had in your house, even though it didn't cost them any more money to provide service to those TVs. Thankfully, most companies have gotten away from those practices and just charge a standard fee for basic cable (although they can charge you per converter box). How would you feel if the electric company made you sign a contract for a certain amount of kWH per month but stipulated that the electricity they provided was only to be used to run your refrigerator, and if you wanted to hook up a lamp, you would have to sign up an additional contract for using that device?

As others have said countless times: data is data. How you choose to use it should be up to you. This is the basic tenet of net-neutrality. I see no difference in the argument that you should be able to use your data connection for any software service such as video streaming, voip, bittorrent, etc, and being able to choose what hardware device consumes the data that you pay for.

Consequently, if I pay AT&T for 5GB of data, I should be able to use those 5GB in the method of my choosing, be it for the iPhone, as well as my iPad, iPod, MacBook Pro or whatever through tethering.

That is a horrible argument. So they give you unlimited data usage and you think you are entitled to hook your phone up to any and all devices, make a hub for your neighborhood or school if you wish, using terabytes a month, despite what the contract you signed clearly stipulated all because you see a phone's data network as a mandatory public utility? For frak sakes people!

Apple is not required to recode the iPad OS to connect via Bluetooth for internet access, AT&T isn't required to allow phone tethering to other devices, and we aren't required to buy their products or use their services. Capitalism FTW!
  • Reply 136 of 335
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Its cute that you missed the joke in your rush to indignation. DP was needeling AI for mispelling Sweden, not showing geograpichal ignorance of the South American country. Maybe a winking emoticon would have helped...

Nominated for best unintended irony award!
  • Reply 137 of 335
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Thank God for newer and smarter phones around the corner. I have tried a few but the underground will have a field day with the ipad. I jb my phone as I wanted to try google voice and Tom Tom but there are so many cool things toubcan do once jb and the lack of teethering is going to produce huge amount of jb iPhones. This is why the didn't use an osx lite. Had they, people would dl torrents, movies and TV shows that most arE FREE TV SHOWS that jibs wants you to buy from iTunes pus the fear appe has with adobe apps.

Exciting times indeed, plus I also have wifi tricker that tricks the iPhone into thinking 3g is wifi I think we are going to see a lot if good slates and phones soon.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It's by far more useful on the iPad than on a Macs e designed to use fast internet, not what passes for 3G in the U.S. Using a Macbook tethered to an iPhone should be a rare occurrence, other wise you have the wrong set of devices.

The iPad and iPhone are very similar in some ways, and very different in all others. Owners of both will find certain things more suited for one, than the other. Regardless, you can only use one of them at a time. Therefor, most people people with common sense see no reason why one data connection cannot be shared. If I pay $30 a mon for unlimited 3G on my iPhone, I have a right to use that connection in an unlimited fashion. I'm not talking about abuse either. I'm talking pure convenience.

Like new smartphones coming to market, the iPhone should have the built in ability to broadcast it's 3G connection as a WiFi hotspot, allowing several local devices to share one connection. This is not a built in feature, but fortunately, one needs only to jailbreak their iPhone, and install MyWi.

Because of this feature, I will be saving $130 + 30 a mon on my iPad purchase, because I refuse to be taken advantage of. I already overpay AT&T for data, by a long way, and cannot come close to using it to its full advantage due to imposed restrictions.

• Reply 138 of 335
    [post nixed for excessive profanity & personal attacks]
  • Reply 139 of 335
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterO View Post

Forgive me but... err, do you not mean of the South African country?

No,that's the country of Soweto, not Sweden.
  • Reply 140 of 335
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Classic Jobs. Gotta love it. An all round minimalist, even down to his email responses.